Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Thundarr posted:

As it is, every frog and bird in Eorzea wants to kill you so this wouldn't be much of a change.

The game is actually unreasonable about this past low levels. Nearly every creature that isn't an elemental sprite is hostile. The peaks have butterflies that attack you on sight, why the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
RDM is the best swag class

Always be verholying

Leal fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 7, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What should be interesting about the 4.x plotlines is that we have two different storylines to follow (liberated Doma/Othard and liberated Ala Mhigo). Whereas in 3.x, we were just all about Ishgard. I wonder if we'll bounce between both locations in each patch or if it'll be more that one patch focuses more on Ala Mhigo and the next on Othard, or something like that.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Shy posted:

The game is actually unreasonable about this past low levels. Nearly every creature that isn't an elemental sprite is hostile. The peaks have butterflies that attack you on sight, why the gently caress.

I recently got to the Sea of Clouds for the first time, and got attacked by a bat right after stepping off the first platform. Then it meowed, and I was freaking out about it being a cat bat. Then I wondered why this adorable cat bat was attacking me on sight and wished I could pet the cat bat without it attacking me.

Which is the way basically all the adorable little critters in the Sea of Clouds make me feel.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

There is. Look up "Gaelkitten" on the market board.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Well you've all convinced me (and my wife, amazingly enough given she's been a WoW addict for years) and I just finished ordering box copies off Amazon. Thanks for the info, we'll see you all this weekend.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Tenik posted:

There is. Look up "Gaelkitten" on the market board.

All bat cats should be your friends

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Compared to Dark Knight Paladin feels really bloated as a class with the number of skills it has. Can anyone make any recommendations to generally clean up my hotbar with it?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I also like that yoship deliberately made Zenos a totally unsympathetic psycho and there still seems to be a small group of people out there who thought his parting words were somehow romantic. There are some crazy motherfuckers who play video games, man.

To be fair, the devs must have expected that considering they gave us the "It's cool bro I accept you" dialogue option. They thought it was valid enough to put into the game.

Then again the WoL seems progressively more unhinged as time goes on. Are the Japanese texts just as odd, or is it like FATE names something the localisation team is having fun with?

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 7, 2017

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mango Polo posted:

Then again the WoL seems progressively more unhinged as time goes on. Are the Japanese texts just as odd, or is it like FATE names something the localisation team is having fun with?

Definitely the latter.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mango Polo posted:

To be fair, the devs must have expected that considering they gave us the "It's cool bro I accept you" dialogue option. They thought it was valid enough to put into the game.

Then again the WoL seems progressively unhinged. Are the Japanese texts just as odd, or is it like FATE names something the localisation team is having fun with?

Lol based on what? Look I get that we have a collective joke going on here about the WoL being an insane murderhobo, but the narrative doesn't treat us like that. I'm starting to think people are having trouble distinguishing between jokey head canon and what the story is actually telling them.

You are a pretty straight forward Final Fantasy heroic protagonist. You do what needs doing, for your friends. Zenos lamp shades the mechanical motivations of playing MMORPGs, and that's cute and all, but it's nothing more than precisely that: lamp shading.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
I have never been kicked from a duty before but twice today I was voted out of Sohm Al. First time was because I pulled a group as Drg while the tank was idle. Second time was because the PLD and Ninja in the party called me bad for using LB on trash. I noted they hadn't used a single aoe ability the entire dungeon and that the Ninja in synced 61 gear had 200 less dps than me in nonupgraded Ironworks. They both had the same last name and both had 7 combat classes at 70. I should note that both times I had queued with a healer so the frustration didn't come from there.

Afterwards I managed to successfully complete a run of the dungeon but the other Drg in that party still never used Doom Spike. Really curious why I keep seeing people do their single target combos on trash packs. Laziness isn't an excuse because it takes less effort to just press the one AoE gcd.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lol based on what? Look I get that we have a collective joke going on here about the WoL being an insane murderhobo, but the narrative doesn't treat us like that. I'm starting to think people are having trouble distinguishing between jokey head canon and what the story is actually telling them.

You are a pretty straight forward Final Fantasy heroic protagonist. You do what needs doing, for your friends. Zenos lamp shades the mechanical motivations of playing MMORPGs, and that's cute and all, but it's nothing more than precisely that: lamp shading.

You are repeatedly given dialogue options to characterize the WoL as exactly what Zenos thinks you are.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Hey, so I'm pretty new to DPSing in general in MMOs, always tanked, and new to FF14 in general, but I'm the Samurai in these logs and wondering what I can be doing to improve my DPS. Admittedly, I'm not filled up on materia in all my slots and didn't potion in this log, but that shouldn't have me as low as I am and am wondering why it is. I used to just chase after big setsugekkas but was told that converting my sen into kenki for OGCD spam was higher dps so I've moved over to that, but I see people beating me handily in other logs that seem to be doing the setsugekka strategy so I am unsure. Hopefully someone with a better understanding of the class and role can help me out a little bit here

https://www.fflogs.com/reports/KGCpRybAFx6tz2cJ/#fight=9

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

You're definitely a caring people who deeply wants to help/save people, but you're also definitely someone who positively revels in battle, or at least have the option to be depending on your dialogue choices. So, not a murderhobo per se, but Zenos isn't necessarily wrong about you if you choose the fist-punching dialogue option every time.

e:

ruta posted:

I was playing on Japanese. That cute little Lala is voiced by the King of Braves. I nearly fell out of my chair.

I just looked up a video of his Japanese voice and it's seriously wild. Nobuyuki Hiyama is basically the only VA in any language I give a poo poo about because he's just so good at being hot-blooded.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 7, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Know that I will kill your god if I have to. Maybe even if I don't.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Clarste posted:

Know that I will kill your god if I have to. Maybe even if I don't.

I generally pick the 'nice girl' WoL options because I'm a pushover that can't be mean in RPGs but I had to pick that one because it's so good.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Well you've all convinced me (and my wife, amazingly enough given she's been a WoW addict for years) and I just finished ordering box copies off Amazon. Thanks for the info, we'll see you all this weekend.

Read the top post! Try to get on Excalibur, the goon support system is worth it.

Those first three are all full of goons.

Roll a pair of trials accounts, there *should* be a window to get your characters on after maintenance ends tonight. SE restricts rolling new characters based on current server load, obviously that load is generally at its least shortly after maintenance. May help to roll a character on a different server that's not congested, save the character appearance data, so that when you roll on Excalibur when it's *not* congested, you can just load it back up and go.

edit: Here, this should give you and wifey an idea how the various jobs feel. RDM is the very first job showcased: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSdfPXFGuw0

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 7, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Aw, did TPT go back from being "mol!"? That's lame.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
TPT's _tag_ is "mol!", but Guildmom elected not to change the guild name to match. Just a "just in case" thing, I figure.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So I know Warrior was in sort of a rough spot in 4.0, now that it's had a round of changes can anyone tell me about the present state of Warrior and Dark Knight? I know PLD is still king of the hill, but are they both at least still fun to play again?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

vOv posted:

I generally pick the 'nice girl' WoL options because I'm a pushover that can't be mean in RPGs but I had to pick that one because it's so good.

I tend to pick the smart man options because I can't help it.

When I said 'I accept you' to Zenos I immediately headcanon'd his followup with 'woah woah woah buddy not like that I mean I accept the way you are and that I have to kill you.'

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Inverted Sphere posted:

So I know Warrior was in sort of a rough spot in 4.0, now that it's had a round of changes can anyone tell me about the present state of Warrior and Dark Knight? I know PLD is still king of the hill, but are they both at least still fun to play again?

Warrior deals more damage but their mitigation isn't as good as the other two tanks. Fairly certain as skill levels and item levels go up, Warriors will become favoured in Savage content. Right now, they're still more than viable for difficult content and great in 70 dungeons, regular Omega and the extreme trials.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In a hypothetical fight that features constantly high damage to the tank instead of alternating nothing and huge damage, warrior would be really good for defensive purposes because rotating raw intuition, vengeance, rampart, thrill+conv, and inner beast gives something like two and a half straight minutes of CD uptime

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 7, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Having to melee as Red Mage after expending all your mana is ...interesting.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I play my WoL as someone who just loves the thrill of adventure. Yeah fighting big cool poo poo factors into that but new experiences in general are his favorite thing. It's the best reasoning for why someone would basically be a combination swordfighter/wizard/cobbler/five star chef

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
in all those scenes where everyone is camping out while traveling through dravania, it always did strike me as weird that we were letting Estinien "look, i found some stuff in the woods and boiled the poo poo out of it, i don't think it's toxic anymore, probably" Wyrmblood cook instead of the level 50 culinarian who completed a stage at the bismarck

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Paper Lion posted:

Hey, so I'm pretty new to DPSing in general in MMOs, always tanked, and new to FF14 in general, but I'm the Samurai in these logs and wondering what I can be doing to improve my DPS. Admittedly, I'm not filled up on materia in all my slots and didn't potion in this log, but that shouldn't have me as low as I am and am wondering why it is. I used to just chase after big setsugekkas but was told that converting my sen into kenki for OGCD spam was higher dps so I've moved over to that, but I see people beating me handily in other logs that seem to be doing the setsugekka strategy so I am unsure. Hopefully someone with a better understanding of the class and role can help me out a little bit here

I can look at this a bit more deeply after work, but are you maintaining full uptime on the boss, or playing it safe with the mechanics? And are you reapplying buffed Higabana whenever it's about to fall off?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

Having to melee as Red Mage after expending all your mana is ...interesting.

Do you mean your MP, or your black/white mana? If you mean the latter, that's what you're supposed to do. If you mean the former, then you should be using Lucid Dreaming more.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Thundarr posted:

I can look at this a bit more deeply after work, but are you maintaining full uptime on the boss, or playing it safe with the mechanics? And are you reapplying buffed Higabana whenever it's about to fall off?

My Higanbana uptime is something that can definitely be improved, but I don't think that's the thing accounting for how low my numbers seem to be. I spend as much time as I can on the boss, but I do try to prioritize not loving up mechanics. logs tend to have me between 94% and 96% uptime.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Warrior probably has the best set of defensive cooldowns in the game. In particular Holmgang has a ridiculously short cooldown for an invincible and Vengeance is just absolutely incredible all around. Warrior's biggest problem is that their rotation is very tight and they lose a much larger amount of dps than the other tanks if they lose uptime due to mechanics or mistakes. This makes them a pretty unattractive choice during progression but they're totally fine for all other content and will probably be a part of the speedrun meta.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I have heard it said that Warrior is lowkey really solid for o4s progression, because NED just keeps throwing out tankbusters fast enough that Living Dead/Hallowed Ground can't catch all of them, but Holmgang can.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Do you mean your MP, or your black/white mana? If you mean the latter, that's what you're supposed to do. If you mean the former, then you should be using Lucid Dreaming more.

I mean running out of Magic Points so I stand in melee range for a bit doing unbuffed attacks cause well its' something while MP builds back up. I thought lucid dreaming restored HP cause the tool tip doesn't say jack poo poo so guess I know now.

Vorless
Oct 30, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

Ok, I did a comparison of my most recent kill of 1s with yours here https://www.fflogs.com/reports/compare/KGCpRybAFx6tz2cJ/w2hj9J3KPCy1RFx6#fight=9,1&view=events&type=casts&sourceclass=Samurai. I think this might actually be my worst performance in savage ever, I died twice to really stupid things and did no damage to the boss for over a minute, but still ended with 300 more dps and 5 more casts per minute than you, so something is clearly off. I'll link a more in-depth guide below but heres some things that really stood out to me:

- You need to learn a real opener. At one point you quad-weave ogcds and that's a huge no-no. Using a real opener will make the rest of the fight flow a lot better too as you can predict when your cds will finish and plan for them.

- Shifu (the attack speed buff) is the most important to get as it's overall a higher dps gain compared to Jinpu, but I also noticed that you let the buffs fall off during various points of the fight, maybe because you're doing mechanics? If that's the case, talk to your static and convince them to work around you; you're playing a greedy dps and you can only get the most out of it when you prioritize yourself over everyone else.

- Something specific to o1s: Every time you get blown away you should Gyoten back to the boss immediately and continue your normal rotation

- If you're doing savage you might as well meld your gear, it's not going to be a huge boost, but everything helps

Anyway, sorry about the big post but I hope it helps in some way! Here's the guide I mentioned earlier, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XGmV6QTnpsxfJ9RImfjhusm2frqpCfPL8HJ2tUTgH1o/edit and also check out the pinned messages in the samurai section of the balance discord http://thebalanceffxiv.com/

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Are Stone Sky Sea target dummies scaled based on the role?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Correct, the SSS dummies are scaled by role.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Eopia posted:

You are repeatedly given dialogue options to characterize the WoL as exactly what Zenos thinks you are.

That's just it. You're given the option, which then affects nothing, and people continue to treat you like a standard Final Fantasy protagonist. What do you think that means?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shy posted:

Are Stone Sky Sea target dummies scaled based on the role?

I haven't checked these HP totals with ACT or anything, but it seems all jobs have a different target, not just role.

http://ffxiv.2digitalgames.de/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

That's just it. You're given the option, which then affects nothing, and people continue to treat you like a standard Final Fantasy protagonist. What do you think that means?

Still a better way of handling dialogue choices than ME3 because you don't have the illusion of your dialogue choices making a difference before having the same drat ending in the end anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Brainamp posted:

Well he failed. I accepted him. :colbert:

What does he say when you do that, anyways?