Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There's BB-8, who is goof-two-balls already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

He was once his former comrade.

Yea, and now he's not. Did you watch the movie?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Nah that guy is right, Finn knows his comrades were forced into their positions just like he was. He goes from feeling horrible about killing rebels to blowing up tie fighter pilots while cracking jokes within a few minutes lol.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

Remember when the internet was full of people getting mad that there was a black stormtrooper?????

Like wow guys what a non-loving-controversy to get worked up about. Have at least a LITTLE self awareness that it will make you sound super fuckin racist.

I only saw articles that said people were ultra mad about diversity in star wars.

The actual discussions I saw about it had people complaining mostly out of confusion because the stormtroopers, last people were told in the movies iirc, were clones of Jango Fett, who was played by a Mauri.

Apparently this is all explained and the clones were retired and replaced with regular people but nearly nobody knows that because hardly anyone reads things like the official star wars wiki, the books, or watches the Disney Channel animated series that apparently lays it all out.

itsnice2bnice posted:

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would question whether any of these Twitter idiots were indicative in any way of Star Trek fans since practically every Star Trek series has had prominent black characters. Same thing with the dumb poo poo about sexist Dr. Who fans.

I'm convinced that all of the articles about this sort of thing are a case of a writer's immediate reaction to seeing someone that isn't a white guy given a prominent spot in an established franchise being that they plug in the franchise name and an appropriate ethnic/gendered slur into a twitter search and F5 until an edgelord inevitably tweets something like "STAR WARS IS OVERRUN BY NIGGERLOVERS #forceawakens #starwars #whitegenocide" so they can chastise the fans for their long-running problem with racism.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

Nah that guy is right, Finn knows his comrades were forced into their positions just like he was. He goes from feeling horrible about killing rebels to blowing up tie fighter pilots while cracking jokes within a few minutes lol.

It's almost like the movie was garbage.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

If they were conflicted, they could have left too. He knows that everyone else on that mission with him is supporting a fascist regime.

All that it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
just keep in mind you're defending JJ Abrams right now

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I was kind of implying that it was a short lived trend. Obviously "full" was hyperbole. Anyway I was just laughing at people being dumb racists online.

I don't know why anyone would assume ALL stormtroopers would STILL be clone army 30 years later or whatever. Of course they wouldn't be. How many clones would even still be alive? I'm sure some are but you don't get to be a giant galaxy-controlling empire that leads via force by never recruiting new soldiers wtf.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I think the justification for why he turns is that he was in a non-combat staff position up until that moment and he had no idea what combat would actually be like. It makes sense, but I think it lessens the impact of him as a character. I want my Star Wars my way :reject: It also shows how lovely the Stormtrooper training program is. If your cafeteria workers won't kill civilians then why were they raised to be stormtrooper cafeteria workers in the first place?

But that still doesn't explain why he's so cool with killing stormtroopers later. You'd think he'd need a minute. He doesn't give a poo poo about the rebellion until the very end of the movie, he was just getting the hell out of dodge. It's hard to say it was about ideology when he was looking to get as far away from them as possible.

vermin fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 7, 2017

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

WampaLord posted:

He realizes that his former comrades are terrible people.

People stolen from their parents as babies and raised against their will to be slave-soldiers?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a bone to pick posted:

just keep in mind you're defending JJ Abrams right now

he made a good movie, sadly.

jack is way too loving old to be playing a shooter with a controller jfc.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

a star war betamax posted:

People stolen from their parents as babies and raised against their will to be slave-soldiers?

Finn's a spot on characterization of a recently "woke" person, I thought y'all would be able to get this. Now everything is simple for him, Empire Bad.

Thankfully, he's right.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Yes Jack is bad at games but you can see him using a mouse in the video ffs.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Now I can casually disagree with WampaLord's position and there's no way he can fight back.

poo poo, what we were talking about again? A Star Wars character? Was it Boba Fett?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Remember how awesome Phasma is? Cool badass armor! Does absolutely nothing! Goes out like a punk and thrown in the garbage, can possibly dead, off screen!

She truly lives up to the legacy of Boba Fett

I actually forgot phasma existed until you said that. This isn't a wacky joke, I just genuinely forgot she was a character who was in a movie that I saw

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Irradiation posted:

Yes Jack is bad at games but you can see him using a mouse in the video ffs.

i was trusting in my fellow redlettermediaers to not lead me astray...like anakin i have been bamboozled...

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

i was trusting in my fellow redlettermediaers to not lead me astray...like anakin i have been bamboozled...

I mean, he used to do that. And people might have been thinking that was a root cause of him being poo poo at everything.
But no, he is just that bad, mouse or no.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Who gives a poo poo?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whorelord posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

corn in the bible posted:

I actually forgot phasma existed until you said that. This isn't a wacky joke, I just genuinely forgot she was a character who was in a movie that I saw

Same, but about Pooey Delorean.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

a star war betamax posted:

No, she's still hanging on. but according to Josh's Twitter her chances aren't good

What?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Blue Star posted:

Bit disappointed the next Plinkett review is going to be Ghostbusters 2016.

Been a while since ive watched Ghostbusters 2 but i remember liking it as a kid, Not as much as the first one, though.

I'm surprised they haven't retired plinkett. So many people have ripped him off and now that nerdy things are popular on youtube you have less of the "only a basement dweller would review them" kind of stigma. Nerd Crew is more accurate.

Honestly, at least on youtube, multiple people who might not agree but have some actual working knowledge of what they're talking about drinking and talking to each other about what they watched is actually much rarer than one guy just telling you what he thinks and making fun of himself and editing in jokes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

corn in the bible posted:

That's because she wasn't a character, she was a shiny suit.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mordja posted:

That's because she wasn't a character, she was a shiny suit.

She's there so they can make Phasma toys.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'm surprised they haven't retired plinkett. So many people have ripped him off and now that nerdy things are popular on youtube you have less of the "only a basement dweller would review them" kind of stigma. Nerd Crew is more accurate.

Honestly, at least on youtube, multiple people who might not agree but have some actual working knowledge of what they're talking about drinking and talking to each other about what they watched is actually much rarer than one guy just telling you what he thinks and making fun of himself and editing in jokes.

Plinkett wasn't meant to be a parody of movie review nerds, he was just a goofy, funny character that Mike came up with since he realized that without a gimmick no one would listen to him talk in detail about Star Track for 40 minutes.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I think you should be "retired".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Who's ripped off Plinkett? I've never really seen anything like him

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Who's ripped off Plinkett? I've never really seen anything like him

There was one goon who did a handful of reviews and basically ripped off the editing style and did the Plinkett voice as an "homage", but I don't remember his name and it wasn't like a full-on permanent gimmick that he kept doing it was just those two (?) reviews.

Beyond that, all I've seen is a handful of people imitating the Plinkett voice just as a reference to RLM because they're fans.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mr BTongue and HBomberGuy have both admitted to taking inspiration from Plinkett Reviews, particularly in their chapter headings on long videos.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Sofa Justice Warriors features fat dudes sitting on furniture talking about movies so I guess that's sorta similar.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
the nyx_fears guy - who I had high expectations for because he doesn't review superheros, reviews weird poo poo like Begotten and the Holy Mountain, and actually said some intelligent things in the Eraserhead review - has a lot of plinketisms in his early reviews. Holy Mountain review really feels directly inspired.

(unrelated, I got annoyed with him and now have him in solid "not recommended". He's not that entertaining on his own and even makes intelligent points annoying to listen to, but mostly says pretty obvious things. He's moved past that to absolutely every youtube convention possible throughout his catalog except for having an actual human guest have a conversation with him, even when there's a guest star they're separate segments)

I've seen some other youtubes that also have plinketisms like cutting to a visual counterpoint and saying "oh..." or monotonously listing things to game show music music and poo poo like that but I don't have a mental catalog or description of every "you're trying to be a plinkett review" moment, they've just been surprisingly common.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Pubg is fun as hell and pre rec sucks.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Jack uses the mouse to aim and the controller to move.

Its really dumb.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

JB50 posted:

Jack uses the mouse to aim and the controller to move.

Its really dumb.

is this real

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
im losing my loving mind imagining how that would be a real thing

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

It's real. They're both very very bad at video games.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Pre rec is only worth watching when jay's on because then it's just like a podcast where jay talks about stuff.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Thumb stick is superior to ASDF for movement.

Mouse is superior to thumb stick for aiming.

Jack has the best setup possible because he's not a Kraft dinner eating sadsack goon poor.

And his dick is bigger than 5 of yours.

Packard Supremacy.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Thumb stick is superior to ASDF for movement.

This is the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Yug posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard.

Confirmation that Yug doesn't proofread his posts.

• Locked thread