Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gregday
May 23, 2003

The new ceramic Edition is much more in line with what the higher end of an Apple product lineup should be. But man, trying it out in the store, it just doesn’t feel like a premium device to me. Whatever amazing materials and manufacturing process went into it, in my hands it feels pretty much like a white polycarbonate MacBook. There are some colorful bands that look great with it, but for my aesthetic sense I’ll take the stainless steel over it any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

gregday posted:

The new ceramic Edition is much more in line with what the higher end of an Apple product lineup should be. But man, trying it out in the store, it just doesn’t feel like a premium device to me. Whatever amazing materials and manufacturing process went into it, in my hands it feels pretty much like a white polycarbonate MacBook. There are some colorful bands that look great with it, but for my aesthetic sense I’ll take the stainless steel over it any day.

Sure, and that's a fair critique of the product, though I will advise to you that the stainless non-DLC will develop a patina of scratches. This may be desirable if you're a patina guy, or lovely if you aren't. Regardless, the fact is that most people who buy the stainless steel do so based on its looks in the store, not the reality of how the watch will look in a year. Take that as you will.

gret posted:

Yeah that was my impression.

I won't be citing my sources, nor do I particularly care, so if anyone wants to disregard my portrayal of the situation they are more than welcome to.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Taima posted:

Sure, and that's a fair critique of the product, though I will advise to you that the stainless non-DLC will develop a patina of scratches. This may be desirable if you're a patina guy, or lovely if you aren't. Regardless, the fact is that most people who buy the stainless steel do so based on its looks in the store, not the reality of how the watch will look in a year. Take that as you will.

I won't be citing my sources, nor do I particularly care, so if anyone wants to disregard my portrayal of the situation they are more than welcome to.

Those scratches, by the way, will buff out with any stainless steel polish.

I shouldn't have to state this but this is the internet so: obviously polish will not work for deep gouges and scratches. It will absolutely handle any superficial or "patina" scratching incurred from normal day to day usage.

edit: Holy poo poo, that stand posted below me looks really great and I bought it instantly.

decypher fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 15, 2017

gregday
May 23, 2003

I’d like to recommend this as a watch charging stand:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYNE2BM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_kiHAzbMZADRD3

It’s a bit firmer and heavier than you’d guess in the base and does a great job in addition to being just utterly delightful.

Edit: And with the Pride Band makes for a nice retro look:

gregday fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 18, 2017

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
No matter what sleep tracking app I try, none of them are able to track my HR while I'm sleeping.

I read that when my arm is still even the Apple Health app will periodically take HR measurements throughout the day and when I check that app it only shows the times I manually checked it.

What am I doing wrong or is there a setting I'm missing?

One of the main reasons I bought the watch was so I could track quality of my sleep and so far it hasn't been able to do that.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not sure about a setting, but yes the watch itself (I.e. without third party apps running) should record your HR every 5-6 minutes when you’re not working out. In practice many times it’s more like 10 minutes, but mine tracks it all day and night.

Check your “all data” in the health app, maybe the problem is with your sleep tracking app?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not sure about a setting, but yes the watch itself (I.e. without third party apps running) should record your HR every 5-6 minutes when you’re not working out. In practice many times it’s more like 10 minutes, but mine tracks it all day and night.

Check your “all data” in the health app, maybe the problem is with your sleep tracking app?

All data only shows the 2 times over the last 3 days I manually had it check.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I checked mine and my HR had been recorded every 5 - 10 minutes consistently. Check to see if there is some setting you clicked off.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Wearing it too loose? Full sleeve tattoos? Super dark skin?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

Wearing it too loose? Full sleeve tattoos? Super dark skin?

It's tight. I do have a full sleeve, but it doesn't affect the manual readings when I tell it to check.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Don't know. Those are just the factors that Apple suggests may inhibit automatic readings. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204666

I also have no trouble getting automatic readings every 5 minutes as long as I'm wearing it. That might be worth an appointment at the Apple Store.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

So is it worth upgrading to the OS4 beta?

I tried going to the apple watch Reddit to see if anyone had done a write-up, but the autism there is off the loving charts.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Taima posted:

So is it worth upgrading to the OS4 beta?

I tried going to the apple watch Reddit to see if anyone had done a write-up, but the autism there is off the loving charts.

Watch betas are never worth it.

There have been battery life complaints, the new faces aren't even included, and if there's real trouble, downgrading means mailing off your watch.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

eddiewalker posted:

Watch betas are never worth it.

There have been battery life complaints, the new faces aren't even included, and if there's real trouble, downgrading means mailing off your watch.

Half right

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Fair enough. They weren't included in the early betas, right?

Still a dev beta. Still a bad idea.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The Siri and kaleidoscope faces has always been in the betas, and the toy story faces were added in the second. Battery life has improved a bit in the 4th, but it’s still kinda bad.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So what are the odds that Apple is going to change the design of the new Apple Watch that will likely be released in the next six months or so, completing breaking band compatibility?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Reasonable, according to Gruber.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Reasonable, according to Gruber.

Just him though is saying that. Most other sources seem to expect it to keep the same form still. It having cell data capability is probably going to be the main new feature.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I expect they will keep the watchband sliding action, though the possibility of a new form factor for the rest of the watch is high.

I would not mind a slightly larger screen and a slightly thinner body. They better have the same space black stainless treatment though or I'll probably skip this gen since my series 2 SBSS is still as good as the day I got it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Yeah there'd need to be a fairly compelling reason to upgrade from my s2. No scratches, no slowdown, battery is currently on its third day without a charge.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm dying over here with my S0. The battery isn't making it even 14 hours before it's down to 10%. I think the battery is just done at this point.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, my watch was acting really weird last weekend. I was helping someone move so I took it off my wrist and put it in my pocket. When I took it out again a few hours later it had reset itself to factory and I was greeted with a "pair your watch" screen.. Not sure how the gently caress that happens.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Mine was acting up last week (I wanna say on Wednesday). It continuously unpaired from my phone and locked itself. I had to reset it. I think they're just finnacky sometimes.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Mine was acting up last week (I wanna say on Wednesday). It continuously unpaired from my phone and locked itself. I had to reset it. I think they're just finnacky sometimes.

Yeah, mine was draining ridiculously fast for the past 3 days or so, seemingly no matter what I did. Now it's back to normal.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Uk goons there are discounts on bands at Currys at the moment but the in store pick up process is like pulling teeth.

Edit; actually don't even bother. After waiting 15 mins for a cabinet to be unlocked, they had already sold the band I reserved.

Dugong fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 9, 2017

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I'm dying over here with my S0. The battery isn't making it even 14 hours before it's down to 10%. I think the battery is just done at this point.

Same. Not sure whether to pay the "nearly a new watch" replacement fee and hope I get an S1 back, or just sell the drat thing and buy an S2.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Molten Llama posted:

Same. Not sure whether to pay the "nearly a new watch" replacement fee and hope I get an S1 back, or just sell the drat thing and buy an S2.

I'm just going to try and limp along and hope they announce a new watch by November.

The struggle is real though because I hate having a dead watch when I get home.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Try restoring your watch. My 0 was having poo poo battery life and not lasting the whole day but it's like new now after a restore.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Try restoring your watch. My 0 was having poo poo battery life and not lasting the whole day but it's like new now after a restore.

I did a restore and it didn't change. Did you set it up as a new watch?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MarcusSA posted:

I did a restore and it didn't change. Did you set it up as a new watch?

I didn't. Restored from a backup after.

My watch is 2 years old.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I didn't. Restored from a backup after.

My watch is 2 years old.

Yeah I did the same already.

I guess I am a little disappointed that the watch isn't quite lasting as long as I'd hoped (got it launch day) but it is what it is.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Molten Llama posted:

There's the $80 battery replacement too, course that's not "nearly a new watch" but I assume it's still enough of a chunk of one to not want to bother.

Could try resetting as a new watch for the hell of it at this point, in case it's some app bugging out or overusing background functionality since an update or something.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

japtor posted:

There's the $80 battery replacement too, course that's not "nearly a new watch" but I assume it's still enough of a chunk of one to not want to bother.

Could try resetting as a new watch for the hell of it at this point, in case it's some app bugging out or overusing background functionality since an update or something.

Since Apple doesn't actually replace the battery, if someone was to pay the $80, they would get another watch. Not sure if a 0 would get replaced with a 1 in this case, but its more than likely.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

empty baggie posted:

Since Apple doesn't actually replace the battery, if someone was to pay the $80, they would get another watch. Not sure if a 0 would get replaced with a 1 in this case, but its more than likely.

That wouldn't be a bad trade actually. I could see doing that

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

japtor posted:

Is that new-ish? Last time I checked pricing, a battery was the same price (or very nearly the same price) as any other repair.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Molten Llama posted:

Is that new-ish? Last time I checked pricing, a battery was the same price (or very nearly the same price) as any other repair.

It might be. I checked the website and they list the battery repair for $79.

I would assume though that they actually do replace the battery.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

It might be. I checked the website and they list the battery repair for $79.

I would assume though that they actually do replace the battery.

I assure you they don't. It's just like getting a battery replacement on an iPad. You get a replacement device.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

empty baggie posted:

I assure you they don't. It's just like getting a battery replacement on an iPad. You get a replacement device.

Ok well here's to hoping I get a series 1. I have an appointment for Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

What would happen if you got a replacement for a space black gen 0? I don't think they even made a gen 1 space black. I think they only returned on gen 2.

• Locked thread