Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Starr Long is in charge of locking the threads about the dead scam game now

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...5.95837/page-14

Because Garriot is still busy reminding people he used video game money from 30 years ago to pay to go to space business class one time

https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/6phw4i/im_richard_garriott_and_im_a_private_astronaut_at/

And while the game will never be finished or playable you can buy a huge ugly rainbow colored PC with optional KATANA SPEAKER SYSTEM to run a bad, dead alpha scam

https://www.originpc.com/promotion/2017/july-promo/

They really are willing to put in the hard work, make a bunch of phone calls and promote the sale of nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

lord british is confident that his more competent and less visible scam will be quickly forgotten when croberts is forced to push out an mvp

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

extra stout posted:

Because Garriot is still busy reminding people he used video game money from 30 years ago to pay to go to space business class one time
https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/6phw4i/im_richard_garriott_and_im_a_private_astronaut_at/

"Private astronaut" is such a ridiculous euphemism for space tourist. I suppose I should expect nothing less from Lord British himself.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Percelus posted:

lord british is confident that his more competent and less visible scam will be quickly forgotten when croberts is forced to push out an mvp

I bet there is a certain cross-section of people that are heavily invested into both. They're gonna have a great end to 2017.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Looking at their YouTube channel it seems like this game is being kept on life support by monthly telethons where people give money to unlock more assets from the unity store.

I feel bad for everyone involved with this, because I doubt it'll have a happy ending.

Although I don't know why people had much faith in Lord British to begin with, the dude hasn't made a decent game in ages and admits to only playing through cellphone games.

Also, his contention that one of the big problems with modern MMO's are floating exclamation marks instead of convoluted text parsers always struck me as a little odd.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

itsnice2bnice posted:

Also, his contention that one of the big problems with modern MMO's are floating exclamation marks instead of convoluted text parsers always struck me as a little odd.

I think, and of course I could be wrong, there is a very, very vocal portion of the MMO market that continually bemoans the degradation of the challenge of online games. These folks will take any instance of making a game more accessible as a slight and crow about the game "becoming too casual". These players tend to thrive on the concept that if they can keep plugging away at lovely wastes of time they will be, and should be, better than those with less time to play. These people would rather go up to dozens of NPCs and go /where NPC name, and following pointing fingers, to find an NPC to give a quest that is vague and hard to understand, that they can grind on for hours for petty trinkets. The tedium and boredom that plagued older MMOs and artificially expanded the play times without adding actual content are their bread and butter.

Unfortunately almost every game made to target this audience has failed almost immediately, because most sane folks say "gently caress this".

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

alexander delarge is not most people

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think, and of course I could be wrong, there is a very, very vocal portion of the MMO market that continually bemoans the degradation of the challenge of online games. These folks will take any instance of making a game more accessible as a slight and crow about the game "becoming too casual". These players tend to thrive on the concept that if they can keep plugging away at lovely wastes of time they will be, and should be, better than those with less time to play. These people would rather go up to dozens of NPCs and go /where NPC name, and following pointing fingers, to find an NPC to give a quest that is vague and hard to understand, that they can grind on for hours for petty trinkets. The tedium and boredom that plagued older MMOs and artificially expanded the play times without adding actual content are their bread and butter.

Unfortunately almost every game made to target this audience has failed almost immediately, because most sane folks say "gently caress this".

While I don't necessarily think your assessment here is wrong, I think a lot of these folks are just longing for the old days of MMOs. Ultima Online threw you into a wide world with very little instruction, forcing you to interact with it and find your own way to thrive. It was a sandbox, and at the beginning anyway, Shroud was sold as somewhat of a sandbox itself. That fell to the wayside pretty early on.

And for that, when most people start talking about "exclamation points over heads" and MMOs being "too casual" they're almost certainly talking about WoW and how the MMO market was irreparably changed by it. Pretty much every MMO up to that point had been a grinding treadmill with a smattering of quests. Comparatively, WoW was a lot of hand holding and a questline railroad. That never sat well with a lot of the MMO hardcores of the time, and then MMOs went super mainstream, and those people became the minority.

So there's always going to be that subset of players who want to go back to the old wild west style MMOs like UO. Unfortunately, I think that kind of game only existed in the pre-mainstream MMO and internet in every household world.

tl;dr: A lot of people liked the tedious old-fashioned MMOs.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Unctuous Cretin posted:

I don't think it's really that many people. If there really was that much demand someone would have actually made one by now and be reaping a tidy profit. Instead it's all kickstarter scams. I think it's just a niche minority of 30 something year old weirdos with too much disposable income and not enough self esteem that keep funding these things.

DapperDraculaDeer fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 6, 2017

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Garriott also thought that Lineage would be the future of MMOs, and that monthly subscription costs would go up to $20+ by the mid oughts.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I played UO on release. I thought it was really enjoyable, but I had no frame of reference. Then I played Everquest for quite a while, which I thought was pretty darn good. When World of Warcraft came out I went with that and was surprised at just how much more *pleasant* it was to play than previous MMOs. The earliest MMOs could be remembered fondly because there was so little competition and the gameplay had not quite developed yet.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I got excited and pledged like $50 a few years ago. I'm guessing this game is still stupid garbage made by bad people?

I miss UO :(

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

skylined! posted:

I got excited and pledged like $50 a few years ago. I'm guessing this game is still stupid garbage made by bad people?

I miss UO :(

It's a cash shop dream simulator just like Star Citizen. There is no game.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How did this piece of poo poo successfully get crowdfunded, again.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I hope this means I'll get my signed land deed by LB now. Having some physical stuff would lessen the blow a bit.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Gildiss posted:

How did this piece of poo poo successfully get crowdfunded, again.

An aging game developer who has been out of the industry for over a decade put his name on the project to appeal to people over 30, per the norm with these things.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I hope this means I'll get my signed land deed by LB now. Having some physical stuff would lessen the blow a bit.

when all the lovely kickstarters you've backed start failing one after another will it be a barrage of body blows that knock you out?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Send me some money, I'll draw a cardboard map for you. It'll have the same value as a Richard Garriot signature on a piece of game paraphernalia that failed. Basically none.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 8, 2017

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Unctuous Cretin posted:

While I don't necessarily think your assessment here is wrong, I think a lot of these folks are just longing for the old days of MMOs. Ultima Online threw you into a wide world with very little instruction, forcing you to interact with it and find your own way to thrive. It was a sandbox, and at the beginning anyway, Shroud was sold as somewhat of a sandbox itself. That fell to the wayside pretty early on.

And for that, when most people start talking about "exclamation points over heads" and MMOs being "too casual" they're almost certainly talking about WoW and how the MMO market was irreparably changed by it. Pretty much every MMO up to that point had been a grinding treadmill with a smattering of quests. Comparatively, WoW was a lot of hand holding and a questline railroad. That never sat well with a lot of the MMO hardcores of the time, and then MMOs went super mainstream, and those people became the minority.

So there's always going to be that subset of players who want to go back to the old wild west style MMOs like UO. Unfortunately, I think that kind of game only existed in the pre-mainstream MMO and internet in every household world.

I think every day about mashing flame 4 or something else stupid on ash gromnies to level and thank loving god that someone put an end to that stupid poo poo. Or in UO's case creating an auto macro to run my boat back and forth while alternating flame bolts and bandages because haha compelling gameplay.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Percelus posted:

when all the lovely kickstarters you've backed start failing one after another will it be a barrage of body blows that knock you out?

Alexander DeLarge, the Glass Joe of Kickstarter MMOs.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Rhymenoserous posted:

I think every day about mashing flame 4 or something else stupid on ash gromnies to level and thank loving god that someone put an end to that stupid poo poo. Or in UO's case creating an auto macro to run my boat back and forth while alternating flame bolts and bandages because haha compelling gameplay.

That's how it ended up, sure; but what about pickpocketing someone key and emptying their house? Fleecing noobs through a moongate to be blasted by your buddies and looted clean? What about just the excitement of wandering around a fully fleshed out and seemingly living world without a connect-the-dots line of quests to lead you?

Sure, UO couldn't maintain that forever, but if you go back to the world before Trammel and before neon samurai masks, there was a magical time not just in MMOs, but in gaming as a whole.

THAT is the world I don't think can exist anymore. There Internet, players, and just the world in general have moved on from the kind of mindset where that would flourish.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Aren't there like an absolute poo poo ton of unofficial UO shards still running?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
There's a handful of good ones that are locked into specific update eras, some that are off the wall with custom scripts, and most of them have next to no playerbase.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that formula just won't work anymore.
It required a careful balanced ecosystem of PKs APKs Crafters, PVE guys etc.

It was possible when it was the only game in town, but now there are options and it's just a bunch of wannabe hard rear end PKers killing each other off.

It was clear it couldn't last when Trammel and EQ arrived and there was a mass exodus.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
No one wants to be the person who loses all his poo poo because he got pickpocketed or walked into the wrong gate or just stepped outside of town while some PKers were bored.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
That's exactly what I'm saying. Back then it was devastating but part of the game and you learned how to not be a scrub. Modern games you face roll to max level.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Modern games you face roll to max level.

What modern games have you been playing and what have you been doing in them?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Shroud of the Avatar

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Unctuous Cretin posted:

and you learned how to not be a scrub

Or quit because paying for a game and monthly sub and tying up your phone line all day because this was back in dial-up days to slowly work your way up to "not being a scrub" takes a degree of masochism a lot of people don't have. Some people endured it as the nature of the game solely because there wasn't an alternative yet.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
And now those who endured are old enough to have enough disposable income to spend thousands of dollars for Unity assets to display in their evil Starr Long themed dirigible

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Unctuous Cretin posted:

That's exactly what I'm saying. Back then it was devastating but part of the game and you learned how to not be a scrub. Modern games you face roll to max level.

except MMOs never end at max level. there is such a thing as challenging content that doesn't require the presence of pks.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Its almost as if the market cap for people wanting the pk hellscape was so low that it can't support an mmo, something even the worst care bear mmos can manage.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

I've never gotten beyond Eve Online's tutorial, but isn't that a Player Killer hellscape MMO where you can steal, scam, kill anyone you meet and destroy all of their gear? If you hate exclamation marks, it didn't seem to have any quests beyond the tutorial as far as I could tell.

The main appeal of MMO's for me is player interaction and I wish developers would try coming up with new ideas about how players could interact with each other. Instead they just copy the tired old formula of "Level with scripted quests to max level followed by a gear treadmill in the form of dungeons & raids" or "Please support our Kickstarter for our janky PvP sandbox littered /w human turds who have more disposable income than common sense".

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

itsnice2bnice posted:

I've never gotten beyond Eve Online's tutorial, but isn't that a Player Killer hellscape MMO where you can steal, scam, kill anyone you meet and destroy all of their gear? If you hate exclamation marks, it didn't seem to have any quests beyond the tutorial as far as I could tell.

The main appeal of MMO's for me is player interaction and I wish developers would try coming up with new ideas about how players could interact with each other. Instead they just copy the tired old formula of "Level with scripted quests to max level followed by a gear treadmill in the form of dungeons & raids" or "Please support our Kickstarter for our janky PvP sandbox littered /w human turds who have more disposable income than common sense".

Players who just want to interact with other people have facebook, Everyone I know who plays MMOs want to get cool clothes to play dress up with in between getting other cool clothes.

Old mmos were tolerated for the same reason i tolerated bad ports on the GBC/GBA, the neat trick of being portable, or in mmos cases, lots of dudes playing at the same drat time isn't that neat anymore.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

People were only semi joking when they called EQ an IRC client with good graphics, the social aspects of these games really was a big deal and showing off your sweet gear to demonstrate your status was definitely part of that. Each server being its own little community with heroes and villains and drama and dragons created an environment that was really different from what most people do with Facebook.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

itsnice2bnice posted:

Even in EVE, from the very beginning, the vast majority of the playerbase has existed in carebear land. I can't find numbers from after 2015 but the % has stayed level for 4+ years worth of data.

https://twitter.com/ccpquant/status/590854488405192704

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Byolante posted:

Even in EVE, from the very beginning, the vast majority of the playerbase has existed in carebear land. I can't find numbers from after 2015 but the % has stayed level for 4+ years worth of data.

That graph gives terrible information because it lacks context. I had at one point 9 eveguys spread on three accounts. Three characters lived in nullsec or nullsec boardering lowsec. The other six stayed exclusively in highsec and existed soley to funnel money to the nullsec guys. But if you asked me: I'm a nullsec player. CCP Being retarded is unable to create a chart with any nuance.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Rhymenoserous posted:

That graph gives terrible information because it lacks context. I had at one point 9 eveguys spread on three accounts. Three characters lived in nullsec or nullsec boardering lowsec. The other six stayed exclusively in highsec and existed soley to funnel money to the nullsec guys. But if you asked me: I'm a nullsec player. CCP Being retarded is unable to create a chart with any nuance.

SO the answer isn't that the vast majoity of the playerbase are carebears but that the population of the game is vastly overstated.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

lmao the game is free to try until the 30th i doubt pop goes up much because you can't even give away this half baked garbage, development will end soon when funds to buy assets off the unity store run out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I wonder what game/studio Garriott will run into the ground next?