Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
I mean, compared to the monsters that inhabit the San Diego river it was a tiny guy. I caught him on a little treble hook baited with white bread. Going catfishing tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

joem83 posted:

I mean, compared to the monsters that inhabit the San Diego river it was a tiny guy. I caught him on a little treble hook baited with white bread. Going catfishing tonight!

Take more photos, I need inspiration to get out there

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

It's not a big fish he's just tiny.

Just kidding. What do you use for fishing carp?

worms or corn on either unweighted or on a lightly weighted running sinker rig, or under a quill float. A size 10 hook is sufficient. A carp the size of the one above is a lot of fun on 1-3kg gear.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I spent an afternoon watching YouTube videos about carp fishing in England. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen, they were using basically the same equipment as a bass fishermen would but it's such a totally different style and process they barely seem like the same hobby.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Take more photos, I need inspiration to get out there

Out there like, on the SD River, or just out there into the great wild world of nature and fishes?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

joem83 posted:

Out there like, on the SD River, or just out there into the great wild world of nature and fishes?

The great wild world.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I spent an afternoon watching YouTube videos about carp fishing in England. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen, they were using basically the same equipment as a bass fishermen would but it's such a totally different style and process they barely seem like the same hobby.

Hey man I have a question. I fish on heavy braided line with barbless hooks and from what I've gathered I should just be reeling bass in as fast as I can. Constant pressure seems to keep them from jumping and also shaking the barbless hooks out.

Does that sound right to you? I read that you should only play fish if you're worried about them breaking the line, and my bass are coming out of the water with a ton of fight left in them like this.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Hey man I have a question. I fish on heavy braided line with barbless hooks and from what I've gathered I should just be reeling bass in as fast as I can. Constant pressure seems to keep them from jumping and also shaking the barbless hooks out.

Does that sound right to you? I read that you should only play fish if you're worried about them breaking the line, and my bass are coming out of the water with a ton of fight left in them like this.

As I understand it, you play the fish to keep tire it out so it is is easier to land. You don't want to exhaust them to the point where they can't recover, but landing them super green is never a great time and just increases the risk of the fish flopping out of your hand and hitting the ground. When the temp gets hot as poo poo you wanna get them back in asap, but other times I like to play them a bit to make them easier to land and release.

Also, what are you calling "heavy" braid? I tend to run pretty light line and have only had a single break off that was not pike-related.

I caught this guy more or less right under the dock I was standing on. This is like the only spot I can catch them on this pond, so I usually end up having to let them run a little before I try to get them over/in between the dock rails.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

If your drag is set properly you should never ever have to worry about breaking your line unless you hook a fish capable of cutting it (which bass cannot) or you get snagged.

I fish 8 lb. mono in freshwater and that's served me fine. Even caught decent sized snakeheads on that. The largemouths in my area are super rare above 18", which is about as large as I've caught. Bass aren't known for powerful runs, at least compared to what I'm used to from fishing salt.

Even if playing a fish, you need tension in the line or the hook can come out. That's goes tenfold if you fish barbless. Guys fishing tournament may use 50# braid because their paycheck depends on dragging a fish into the boat asap, but if you're fishing recreationally that's obviously less important.

If you want to wear them out, just set the drag lighter but keep tension. I'd be careful not setting it too light so that the fish can't recover from the fight, especially if there are predators.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The great wild world.

Does this get thine wild blood flowing!?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Haha, dammit, I already caught 3 bass last night.

Also what Bong says is true. Just reeling straight in these fuckin' fish are coming in with so much fight that they are unhooking themselves when I pull them out of the water. The bank I fish on is sloped and 2 of the fish I got last night kicked themselves off the line when I pulled them out and were able to flip themselves into the pond.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 7, 2017

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

We picked up one measly catfish on Saturday night. You know it's actually me because I'm coincidentally wearing the exact same thing I was wearing in my other picture, with the carp. The catfeesh was delicious though, excellent breakfast.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

joem83 posted:

Does this get thine wild blood flowing!?

That's pretty meta.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

That's pretty meta.

Horny or hungry, we might never know.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Why can't it be both?
I've always found small plastic frogs to be the most erotic of surface poppers.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

I've always found small plastic frogs to be the most erotic of surface poppers.

Didn't I post these here?

They are almost too pretty to fish.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

That top one could plausibly qualify as a fly, what with those feathers. Congrats on fly-fishing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

a foolish pianist posted:

That top one could plausibly qualify as a fly, what with those feathers. Congrats on fly-fishing.

I am going to print this out and tape it to my waders during trout season.

They are pretty cool lures, like a walk-the-dog lure that you can also pop. The water channels seem like a gimmick, but they do throw up a lot of bubbles and splash with not a lot of forward movement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elGaZyRhEEA

I don't really think they are worth the money, but they were too pretty not to buy. I have just started trying to fish non-frog topwater, so maybe I am using them wrong as a lot of otherwise thrifty-seeming dudes rave about them.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

None of my jitterbugs have ever been attacked by a bass. I've probably only spent an hour to an hour and half fishing them though. What's the best way to use them? Windy days?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have no idea, I believe the conventional wisdom is anything from dead calm to a medium chop will work, but like I said, I am but a newbie. The only topwater I have had much luck with is a whopper plopper 90, but even that has not been consistent and I have never figured out how to make work consistently.

I catch a good number of pickerel on them in the cooler months and got a huge loving snapping turtle on one last week. I now have supreme confidence in my frogging combo and my knot tying.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Bass are inconsistent! Sometimes they wanna eat the topwater, sometimes no. I think most of my luck has been on a buzz bait.

Since we were talking about braid earlier, braid is great until you have a bad cast. I made a $40 cast the other day during a lunch fishing sesh. Tried to hero cast a grassburner, got a brutal backlash that resulted in my lure flying off into the great beyond, and my braid snapped somewhere down in the spool. By the time I found the loose end, I had a huge mess of spaghetti and had to pull off 140 yards of 30lb power pro :D

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

... and my knot tying.

PALOMAR KNOT TIL I DIE

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

joem83 posted:

PALOMAR KNOT TIL I DIE

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Where you bros fishing from?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

joem83 posted:

Where you bros fishing from?

Massachusetts

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

How's the fishing over there? Also, in addition to my previous question of where you guys are fishing from, I'd like to ask what your favorite lures are and what your favorite species to catch is. You know, A/S/L. Area/Species/Lure.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

joem83 posted:

How's the fishing over there? Also, in addition to my previous question of where you guys are fishing from, I'd like to ask what your favorite lures are and what your favorite species to catch is. You know, A/S/L. Area/Species/Lure.

To reply to my question:
A: San Diego
S: Bass, but I never catch 'em
L: I love the hollow body frog for the bad cast protection/fishing style, but I've recently fallen in love with the spook

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

A: Massachusetts inland (my backyard connects to a reservoir so I think I fish more days than anyone except Bong.
S: LM Bass. I catch about 1 every half an hour now if I average it out. Last night I caught 3 in 15 minutes. They are the only fish I have caught except for some whatever fish when I was like 3.
Lure:. 5" Senkos or BPS Stik-o's. Senkos subjectively get more bites on Texas rig, but Wacky they get bit only a little more. I have had every color I've thrown out there land a fish but the best colors are pumpkinseed with black and green flake, watermelon laminate, natural shad, black with blue flake, in that order.

I prefer Trokar hooks with the Barb taken out. If you're fishing worms just use the round bend! EWG does not get as many clean hookups.

Gamakatsu are a good second option since they're sharper than Lazer hooks, and Owner Wacky Hooks are super durable and seem to attract fish on their own.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Senkos are a hot bait out here too, I just rarely have the patience for them. I'm pretty sure if I just dedicated a fishing day to them and I caught some fish I'd feel different about it, but what I love most about bass fishing is how active it is.

I live about 6 minutes away from a really awesome lake, Lower Otay, but it's kind of a lovely lake for shore fishing (edit: also, rattlesnakes) and they're only open Wed/Sat/Sun. It's hard to ditch my family for a full day of fishing on the weekend, so I mostly do short sessions during my lunch breaks in the sketchy rear end San Diego River. I catch a bass every once in a while, but most of the good spots are riddled with drugged out homeless people.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 8, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Senkos are an active bait for me. I swim them off the bottom the entire time like a dying fish. Normally they get bit right after the drop after the first 1-2 shakes.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I'll have to try fishing them more actively! Everyone says to fish em sllllllooooowwwwwww.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

joem83 posted:

I'll have to try fishing them more actively! Everyone says to fish em sllllllooooowwwwwww.

From what I've gathered learning about fishing and doing it myself is that bass are even more sensitive than we think. They see whatever you throw in the water, and generally what you do while they're paying attention is what's going to get them to take it. If you can throw the line out there a bunch of times without tiring yourself out I think it makes more sense to get more drops as opposed to just sitting there with a bait that all the fish in the area aren't interested in, waiting for another fish to wander by.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

South west of Seattle about 30 miles.

Crab.

Anything dead.

I'm a simple man.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Crab.

Anything dead.

I'm a simple man.

Crab is hella delicious. You are a good man.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joem83 posted:

Crab is hella delicious. You are a good man.

The 70 or so crab this season may argue the point.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

LingcodKilla posted:

Crab.

Anything dead.

I'm a simple man.

speaking of, will fabric bird netting be string enough to catch swimming (paddle) crabs?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cumslut1895 posted:

speaking of, will fabric bird netting be string enough to catch swimming (paddle) crabs?

Not really sure. I'm catching pacific red rock crabs. Strong enough to break finger bones yet I know they can be caught with pantyhose wrapped around a piece of chicken.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

PALOMAR KNOT TIL I DIE

Palomar is too wasteful of line, or at least I can't tie it without having to cut off a huge tagend. Triline knot is king.

Also,

Maryland
Smallmouth (but I fish for largemouth most of the time
Soft plastics, not super picky what kind

Mostly fish small ponds on foot and a couple larger reservoirs out of my kayak. I would love use my kayak more often but I am brutally lazy and keep enough fishing stuff in my car and I can usually just walk out the door and head to the water, so I don't make myself load up the kayak and assorted gear as I would like. I'm looking to buy and old minivan this winter or fall to use as my mobile kayak command center.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Let's play this game:

Michigan, mostly

Smallmouth, panfish, Trout, Steelhead, stocked Salmon

Fixed-line fly gear, mostly - see my post in the other fishing thread. I've got fixed line rods from 5 to 28 feet - mostly tenkara/keiryu rods, but also some longer japanese carp/salmon rods. I've got traditional western fly rods as well, a 3-weight, a 5-weight, and an 8-weight spey, but I mostly use those when going out flyfishing with other people. I tie flies, but I'm kinda crap at it - luckily for me, fish aren't super picky.

My home fishing grounds are the Huron river and ponds around SE Michigan, but I drive two hours north to Grayling for the Au Sable holy waters, or two hours west for the steelhead/salmon runs on the St. Joseph's river.

EDIT: Here's the collection, minus the Suntech Kurenai Long rod I just picked up last week, a lightweight 20' rod for smallmouth and trout:

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

South Florida
Snapper
Anything dead

I use palomar for braid -> terminal tackle. Do you guys use it for mono or flouro?

San Diego Jam Knot is my go-to for mono. I like it because tension on the line only tightens the knot, and it works perfectly with low test and high test (and even used it with rope before).

I normally use double uni as my line-to-line knot, but giving FG a try now.

a foolish pianist, I would love to know more about getting into fixed-line fly, including things like budget. I am planning a trip to North Carolina and want to do a little trout fishing, which I have never really done before. Those look like rods that travel really well, which is great because I'd pay more in baggage fees than my rods are worth just to bring any of my own gear.