Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
That MMO guy needs to step up his game and put his family in the poorhouse with phone games instead of pretending like it's 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Uh, do people think it's normal to spend 55 hours a week binging a single hobby? Because that's the thing about the 'gaming is a legitimate hobby' brigade, even if it is it's still unhealthy to spend that much time gaming. Life is about doing more than a single thing when you're not working, right?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

PetraCore posted:

Uh, do people think it's normal to spend 55 hours a week binging a single hobby? Because that's the thing about the 'gaming is a legitimate hobby' brigade, even if it is it's still unhealthy to spend that much time gaming. Life is about doing more than a single thing when you're not working, right?

those guys don't know what "hobby" or "healthy" mean

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

this one is from r/casualconversation, but uh

quote:

My neighbor is hurling dead baby squirrels in my yard.

Circa 2 weeks ago:

Just bought a house. New the the neighborhood.
Hear a horrified scream from the wife.
Run downstairs to see her yelling at our dog.
I ask what happened.
Apparently or dog was chewing on something in the yard and she grabbed whatever it was out of his mouth.
Turned out to be a dead baby squirrel.
I laugh as I start thinking of scenarios that would lead to a dead squirrel falling out of a tree.

Circa 1 week ago

Let dogs out.
Dogs immediately go to corner of yard and start circling something like a tribe of Indians trying to summon the god of doggy treats.
Throw dead squirrel away.
I am panicking because I am wondering if there is something in our yard that is toxic to dogs.
I'm taking pictures of all the plants and foliage in my yard to see if anything is toxic to animals.
Start watching dogs like a hawk until I can figure out what is killing squirrels.

This weekend:

Doing housework.
Out of window see neighbor in her lawn trying to pick up something with a shovel.
Finally gets it. Walks over to my side of the fence. loving SPEARS IT IN MY YARD.
That bitch. But still, why dead squirrels?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
His wife is killing them and throwing them into the neighbor's yard. The neighbour is throwing them back.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
squirrels will absolutely gently caress your house up if they get inside the roof

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

What I'm saying is, rats are better than humans.

Confirmed.
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/334/6061/1427

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

this one is from r/casualconversation, but uh

This is a common dominance display performed in residential neighborhoods. What they need to do is collect the squirrels over a period of a few months so there are multiple stages of decay going on, then nail them to the neighbors side of the fence and call vector control saying there is a loving crazy person spreading disease over there. Boom, she gets a warning and you get some ridiculously petty satisfaction and the neighborhood will know to not gently caress with the crazy death squirrels over at the new people's house.

The sourcing for this idea are due to my neighbors hanging rotting fish heads on their fence to ward off something, I have no idea. It was gross, though. They stopped once we called vector control.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

PetraCore posted:

I play a lot of video games, but lol at 55 hours. I get out of the house and visit friends, read, write, draw, watch movies, listen to music or podcasts, play with my dog, whatever. My game time isn't even in solid chunks. If I do somehow manage 4-5 hours in a day, it was in 20-40 minute bits broken up by other poo poo throughout the day. My dog is great for that because she'll just come and get me because she's bored, so we go outside for 20 minutes and chill out (in the Missouri weather).

I have some ridiculous playtimes on record on Steam because I have a bad habit of leaving my game running and then I go wander off for three hours or whatever. I play a lot of turn-based poo poo these days since it works well with starting and stopping all the time.

Only time my butt is at a game for multiple hours uninterrupted is the rare and magical "one more turn" strategy game session in the dead of night. I don't do those very often. Maybe once every couple of months if I can't sleep at all.

Now, my Omegaverse fanfic writing circle, on the other hand, gets at least 80 hours a week of quality work put in.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Pvt.Scott posted:

Apparently, even rats raised in the Skinner box will stop hitting the heroin button in short order when introduced to a healthy rat population. Mating, socializing and playing with the other rats wins out. The big bottle of heroin water will just gather dust in the corner as the rats ignore it. What I'm saying is, rats are better than humans.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Park

There was a study where they took average adults, put them in a room, took away their phone, and said "We'd like you to just wait quietly in this room for 10 minutes. If you hit that button on the table, it'll shock you, FYI."

Over half the men in the study shocked themselves multiple times, one nearly 70 times in 10 minutes. If people are happy to shock themselves out of boredom no poo poo a rat will want heroin.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
:siren:?

I was in a car accident and the cop who helped (20/30sM) came to the hospital to visit me (29F).

quote:

I got into a car wreck a couple of days ago and was in the hospital for two days. It's been tough on me. I was rear ended by someone in a moving-type truck and my car got pinned beneath the bed of the pickup truck in front of me.

I don't have any family and I do have a few friends, but no one close by. So, I did not have anyone to help me.

There was a police officer close by who got there before the EMTs and fire truck. I was stunned for a while and he helped me through it. I remember the few seconds during the accident so clearly. After that it's just a blur.

The cop who helped me stopped by the hospital I was at. I guess at some point while the EMTs were checking me out, I had everyone cracking up. I do make people laugh a lot. Usually. I guess especially doped up from shock. He made me laugh for the first time in days and he stayed and talked for a while. He was off duty so he was in street clothes.

When he left he gave me his card with his phone number written on it and told me to text him if I needed anything. I said I would and made him laugh again before he left.

My nurse came in to ask who it was and I told her it was the cop who stopped to help. I showed her the card and she said that doesn't happen and I should text him because he's fine (he is).

Now I'm home and can't stop thinking about it. Is this like a normal thing or did he go out of his way to find where I was so he could ask me out? I do remember when he asked if there was anyone they should call, I only cried and shook my head. So I don't know.

If I'm not like creeped out by this should I text him?

TL;DR: cop who helped me post accident came to the hospital after his shift and gave me his number. Does that happen or did I woo him with some quality post-accident jokes I don't even remember making?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Haifisch posted:

:siren:?

I was in a car accident and the cop who helped (20/30sM) came to the hospital to visit me (29F).

Old me would say "aww", but read hundreds of pages of this thread me is going ":redflag::stare::redflag:"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Don't talk to cops.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Don't talk to cops.

do not reward cops with sex

we shouldn't encourage that sort of behavior

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Counterpoint: gently caress the police.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Old me would say "aww", but read hundreds of pages of this thread me is going ":redflag::stare::redflag:"

The internet has ruined meeting people

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: Oooh this'll cause a shitstorm nevermind

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

:justpost:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Don't talk to cops.

What do I do if someone stole my weed smart guy

:same:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I [24 M] walk weird

quote:

Everyone tells me that I walk strangely. An ex once told me that I walk like I'm better than everyone else. My current SO tells me that I walk like I'm fabulous, and when she first met me she thought I was gay.

The thing is, I'm not trying to walk a certain way, I just walk. People tell me all the time that I walk funny, but when I ask them 'How so?' They dont have an answer, just that its weird.

I honestly don't know what I do thats so different from everyone else. Like I said, I just walk. But all these comments have me seriously self conscious about my gait, and I can't even walk around my own house without thinking that I'm doing something wrong.

tl;dr: Took a visit to the Ministry of Silly Walks as a child, never recovered.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Haifisch posted:

I [24 M] walk weird

whatever this guy's doing I hope he never, ever changes it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Haifisch posted:

I [24 M] walk weird

Is he walking without swinging his arms

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dude just has presence. I imagine he walks like he's on a runway

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Dude just has presence. I imagine he walks like he's on a runway

He just too sexy for his shirt, so sexy it hurts. :smith:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just rock it. Billions of people walk around everyday, but youre the one person owning it 24/7.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hey we only get one life to make gigantic, hilariously foreseeable mistakes so gently caress it she should go for it. Maybe she'll have real regrets on her deathbed.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Ray posted:

This is a common dominance display performed in residential neighborhoods. What they need to do is collect the squirrels over a period of a few months so there are multiple stages of decay going on, then nail them to the neighbors side of the fence and call vector control saying there is a loving crazy person spreading disease over there. Boom, she gets a warning and you get some ridiculously petty satisfaction and the neighborhood will know to not gently caress with the crazy death squirrels over at the new people's house.

The sourcing for this idea are due to my neighbors hanging rotting fish heads on their fence to ward off something, I have no idea. It was gross, though. They stopped once we called vector control.

Similarly, an acorn scratched into the fence post is hobo code for "good vittles here."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

HIV can take a while but I believe there's modern medicine they can give you if you have reason to believe you've had contact with the virus that can protect you from it before it becomes an issue.

PREP. It ain't cheap, but given that we haven't figured out a cure for HIV or AIDS, it may be a 'your money or your life' moment. :smith:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Haifisch posted:

I [24 M] walk weird

Dude's a legend for the tl:dr and its exactly what he should tell people whenever they bring it up.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

Haifisch posted:

I [24 M] walk weird

I walk a lonely road. The only one that I have ever known.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lonely Virgil posted:

Why deal with Amazon when you can order your fantasy dildo from artisan dildosmiths, I'm sure they make sure your mailman knows nothing about your fascination with buttplay.

Or they come in a huge flashy box marked:

"Rect'em Industries: They're not sex toys, they're sex tools"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

PREP. It ain't cheap, but given that we haven't figured out a cure for HIV or AIDS, it may be a 'your money or your life' moment. :smith:

Thanks for that, I tried to google it but for some reason couldn't find it even though I knew it was a thing.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Haifisch posted:

Counterpoint: gently caress the police.

Good thinking. You don't have to talk to gently caress.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Pvt.Scott posted:

Good thinking. You don't have to talk to gently caress.

It's intercourse either way.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
It's been a poor few days on the sub recently, but this poo poo is my jam.

Bfs [22M] mom [50sF] dislikes me [22F] and expressed her disdain for me through the use of bbq chicken. What do you do when your partners parents prefer their ex?

quote:

u/Momprobs3456
This is a doozy. I've had short meetings with my bfs mom and we were always cordial but I sensed some coldness. She didnt seem eager to talk to me.I didn't take it to heart since people take time to warm up.

So, prior info. I'm 5'10" and bf is 6'2". We're both extremely active which results in us eating A LOT. To stress that point, on pizza nights we order two pies and we each have one to ourselves. We eat like nobody's business.

So i experienced my first family dinner with bfs folks and it was a mess. We get there and I realize they don't do the whole dishes full of food in the center of the table thing. In their house mom places your full plate in front of you.

So she serves bfs dad, then bf. Cool. Their plates are PILED with food. A mountain of peas and carrots, a load of mashed potatoes, and two bbq chicken breasts along with two or three drumsticks/flats. Then, mom brings out her own plate and goes back for mine. Mom is only 5'0" and I notice she has only 1 breast along with smaller servings of the sides. Makes sense. Then she brings out my plate.

2 chicken wing flats, what amounted to 3 forkfuls of peas and 3 forkfuls of potatoes. Normal sized fork/bites and i am completely serious.

So obviously I'm not about to cause a scene over not getting more food. At first I was like is she calling me fat?! But I'm 143 pounds!

So i keep quiet. Bf is across from me but there's a flower vase in between us so he can't see me. I waited all day for this meal so while i want to suck everything down I eat slowly like a civilized person. I still finish first while the rest of them are maybe halfway done. Bf notices I'm done and slides the flower vase over to look at me and notices my sad tiny chicken bones.

Que the real drama. He looks confused and asks where the rest of my chicken/food is. Mom is staring daggers at me. I try to calm the situation down by saying it's fine, I'm full. My stomach growls. They now know I'm not full. Perfect timing. Bf kinda makes a face and tells me he's going to get me more food.

Mom says no and asks what she's supposed to eat for lunch tomorrow. Her husband is confused and mentions that he thought she said she bought extra packs of chicken. Mom starts turning red and says that Mariah (bfs most recent ex) never had an issue with how much she was served. I believe this because Mariah was about 4'11". I've met her, she's a nice person.

So bf says that I'm not Mariah and asks what she's trying to prove by being so rude to me. Then mom starts arguing about how bf is being disrespectful to her. Dad is still eating chicken. I'm about to have a panic attack.

Then mom's yells "I don't see why you had to break up with Mariah, she was great for you." Bf then says (I'm) even better for him and we're leaving. We did not leave until he invaded the kitchen and took the entire platter of bbq chicken and wrapped it in foil. (5 chicken breasts!!) We left with the somewhat stolen chicken. They argued the entire way to the car until we drove away.

The moment we got to his place bf and his mom continued arguing on the phone. I heard Mariahs name multiple times.

Honestly, reading this over, this sounds like a terrible sitcom or something. But I'm actually super disturbed by this and I have no idea what to do. I feel absolutely helpless. Bf and his mom are obviously on bad terms now and I feel so guilty. He loves his mom so much. It hurts knowing this is my fault.

So if like advice on situations where the last gf was much preferred over the current and how I can manage to navigate this stuff. I love bf, I don't want this to "scare" me off but Jesus. This is honestly one of the most dramatic things that have ever happened to me.

Tl;dr: mom made it known that she misses my bfs ex. What the hell do we do now?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Milotic posted:

Bfs [22M] mom [50sF] dislikes me [22F] and expressed her disdain for me through the use of bbq chicken. What do you do when your partners parents prefer their ex?

Text the mom to let her know those chicken breasts were cooked perfectly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Milotic posted:

She has a great boyfriend, that's what I get out of this

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Milotic posted:

This owns. This is the petty poo poo families should tear themselves apart over!

Stop taking responsibility for his mom's bizarre attachment and eat the chicken.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bit late on the MMO derail, but I think there's a distinct difference between people who play video games, and usually a variety of them, and people who play the one single MMO all the time. The latter tend to be the more terrible people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
They are usually really bad at them too