Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Thundarr posted:

I also like that yoship deliberately made Zenos a totally unsympathetic psycho and there still seems to be a small group of people out there who thought his parting words were somehow romantic. There are some crazy motherfuckers who play video games, man.

Zenos would have been more interesting if he just completely ignored anyone he didn't feel would actually be a worthwhile challenge instead of massacring them and just generally playing up the "incredibly powerful dude who is just goddamn bored out of his skull" more. Dude talked a talk about trying to encourage people to get strong and go after him but did an poo poo job of it aside from with the WoL, whom he totally did let live several times.

I mean, he'd still be a lunatic, but a bit more of a compelling one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Obligatum VII posted:

What does he say when you do that, anyways?

yeah right, you can't accept me, I've killed too many to be accepted. *kickflips away*

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Thundarr posted:

I also like that yoship deliberately made Zenos a totally unsympathetic psycho and there still seems to be a small group of people out there who thought his parting words were somehow romantic. There are some crazy motherfuckers who play video games, man.

There are a large amount of women irl who send love letters to murderers in jail. People are loving nuts yo

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Reiterpallasch posted:

in all those scenes where everyone is camping out while traveling through dravania, it always did strike me as weird that we were letting Estinien "look, i found some stuff in the woods and boiled the poo poo out of it, i don't think it's toxic anymore, probably" Wyrmblood cook instead of the level 50 culinarian who completed a stage at the bismarck
Everyone is just afraid to say that the WoL is actually a terrible cook (on account of the WoL being a bloodthirsty lunatic).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Obligatum VII posted:

Zenos would have been more interesting if he just completely ignored anyone he didn't feel would actually be a worthwhile challenge instead of massacring them and just generally playing up the "incredibly powerful dude who is just goddamn bored out of his skull" more. Dude talked a talk about trying to encourage people to get strong and go after him but did an poo poo job of it aside from with the WoL, whom he totally did let live several times.

I mean, he'd still be a lunatic, but a bit more of a compelling one.

Isn't that Akuma?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SonicRulez posted:

Isn't that Akuma?

excuse you, akuma is very nice.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Akuma's kill count remains at zero

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

SonicRulez posted:

Isn't that Akuma?

Basically. Canonically Akuma fought Gen once but put a stop to the fight when he realized Gen had leukemia or something? If you're weak he doesn't give a poo poo about you, and i think there's a lot of official and semi-official art of him being nice to kids.

edit: :goonsay:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Given that Zenos is also a prince and how he likes/engages in slaughter he's more Luca Blight than Akuma.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 7, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The best japanese voice actor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj6eQ7oitJo

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Paper Lion posted:

My Higanbana uptime is something that can definitely be improved, but I don't think that's the thing accounting for how low my numbers seem to be. I spend as much time as I can on the boss, but I do try to prioritize not loving up mechanics. logs tend to have me between 94% and 96% uptime.

Like Vorless said, having a solid opener is pretty important to set the pace of your recasts and start yourself off with a nice solid damage spike. I mainly use the 3 Sen opener, in part because it nicely fits a fully buffed Guren and Higabana into Trick Attack (assuming you have a ninja that is using a standard opener as well):

http://ffxivrotations.com/rm4

It can feel a bit awkward at first, but play around with it on a practice dummy to get used to it, or re-arrange things on your hotbar if that helps.

Shinten spam is an important component of your overall DPS but you want to avoid using more than one oGCD (or two different oGCDs at the very most) between GCDs because those by and large still do more damage per hit than Shinten. Clipping into your GCDs will eat significantly into your total output. Hagakure > Hakaze > Shinten > Shifu > Shinten > Kasha > Shinten spaces things out nicely without clipping into anything. Plus it feels like you are adding violent exclamation points to each attack in your combo :v:

Sometimes you can get away with delaying Hagakure a bit to wait on 3 Sen, but Meikyo Shisui should be used basically on CD. The most obvious use is Kasha/Gekko/Yukikaze from 0 Sen, but since you can weave Iaijutsu or Hagakure between your three attacks you can use it right after any of the 3 combo finishers for 3 quick Sen to use as you please. The 3 Sen opener above is an example, if that helps.

It looks like there was room for 2-3 more full Higabanas over the course of the fight with tighter timing, and you're right that it alone won't account for the whole problem, but Kaiten Higabana is your single biggest hit so it's good to keep an eye on its duration and prioritize re-applying it if it is about to fall off.

And yeah, be really careful about not letting Shifu or Jinpu fall off. Sometimes mechanics force you to back away for a long time, but ideally the only time they should drop is during an invuln phase. Of the two, prioritize Shifu, but get Jinpu back up right afterwards. Part of it just comes down to training yourself to always alternate your combos and occasionally glancing at your buff bar if you lose track while dealing with mechanics.

It's also hard to tell from a parser, but always try to hit the positionals for Gekko and Kasha whenever possible. The extra 5 kenki adds up quickly over the course of a fight. True North isn't as big a deal for Sam as it is for Monk, but its good to get used to using it whenever mechanics force you to stack on one side of the boss for more than a couple of seconds.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 8, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

I mean running out of Magic Points so I stand in melee range for a bit doing unbuffed attacks cause well its' something while MP builds back up. I thought lucid dreaming restored HP cause the tool tip doesn't say jack poo poo so guess I know now.

Yeah, if you're popping lucid on cooldown and not dying you shouldn't have to worry about your MP ever.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I was planning to put <tt> macros on my bar tonight for Nature's Minne and Palisade, and had a question about how mob targeting works.

Say I'm doing Susano EX, and he starts casting Stormsplitter at the current tank. The other one Provokes shortly before I can hit Palisade <tt>. I know Susano's Stormsplitter will still go off on the original target, but will he be targeting the new one by the time I hit my macro, even if he hasn't finished casting yet? In other words, which tank would my Palisade hit?

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

I was planning to put <tt> macros on my bar tonight for Nature's Minne and Palisade, and had a question about how mob targeting works.

Say I'm doing Susano EX, and he starts casting Stormsplitter at the current tank. The other one Provokes shortly before I can hit Palisade <tt>. I know Susano's Stormsplitter will still go off on the original target, but will he be targeting the new one by the time I hit my macro, even if he hasn't finished casting yet? In other words, which tank would my Palisade hit?

Susano cannot change targets mid cast, therefore you'll still be targetting the current tank.

gently caress yeah maintenance. Also

I equipped my job stone where the gently caress are my black flames.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

brokenknee posted:

Susano cannot change targets mid cast, therefore you'll still be targetting the current tank.

gently caress yeah maintenance. Also

I equipped my job stone where the gently caress are my black flames.

Have you tried making your own

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I take my LB3s on (normal) Exdeath VERY seriously.

We had LB3 since before Exdeath was at 40% and it was baffling how long we held it for... no real reason?

Surname Sharers are the worst because if they're idiots they're idiots :byodood: IN LOVE :byodood:

I'm also pretty sure one of them was our Samurai.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, if you're popping lucid on cooldown and not dying you shouldn't have to worry about your MP ever.

It's crazy the tool doesn't say the word Mana once anywhere in it. Idk how I would have ever figured that out if you hadn't told me.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

It's crazy the tool doesn't say the word Mana once anywhere in it. Idk how I would have ever figured that out if you hadn't told me.

Yeah I thought for ages that people must be talking about a different skill when they mentioned popping it for mana. The fact that if gives a buff that it does not define is weird as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

Refresh is the status effect for MP restoration but it's probably something they should clear up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 8, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Refresh is the status effect for MP restoration.

That's been FF-specific lingo for a while, though you would be forgiven for not knowing. They really *should* explain what Refresh is.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
When is The Rising event?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

end of august, coinciding with the anniversary on august 27th

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

Well poo poo, just started playing and really enjoying it, NOPE! MAINTENANCE!

Xarbala posted:

Yup we've been waiting on this maintenance for a while. It's supposed to come with some fixes for Summoner and Mechanist. Desperately-needed in the case of the latter.

Ah good to hear. I'm just being a petulant child because I wanted to go hard tonight.

Ark fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 8, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ark posted:

Well poo poo, just started playing and really enjoying it, NOPE! MAINTENANCE!

Yup we've been waiting on this maintenance for a while. It's supposed to come with some fixes for Summoner and Mechanist. Desperately-needed in the case of the latter.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Argas posted:

Have you tried making your own

look i get enough poo poo for being a ginger

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I dropped out of FF games largely when the SNES was still a thing so I've never heard the Refresh bit, I just assumed it was a regen type thing.

I'd care more about summoner being tinkered with if RDM wasn't so god drat good.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I can only guess that the length of this maintenance has something to do with changing the sub costs for Brazil and Russia in Steam, because nothing else in the changes they're making tonight is all that unusual.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
looking forward to smn buffs :holy:

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Ciaphas posted:

I've been burned by this before because I love my target of target button when I heal, so I will say that Susano (and every enemy, NPC and player, as far as I'm aware) can change targets midcast. It only really matters if you're using target of target like you're trying to here, since nothing can be performed while the cast is going on. But basically, your Palisade will hit the wrong target.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
How are they fixing SMN and MCH?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
loving them up more most likely.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Verranicus posted:

"We noticed people were still playing MCH and SMN, so we've made some adjustments to remedy that"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
almost certainly just number tweaks since this isn't a major patch, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

SMN needs a lot more than potency tweaks so there's no reason to be optimistic.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Verranicus posted:

Bahamut egi is now the correct size of bahamut.

The item "Soul of the Machinist" has been replaced by "Soul of the bard"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Countblanc posted:

almost certainly just number tweaks since this isn't a major patch, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
YoshiP said in that stream that the ability changes they're making to SMN will take some additional time, RIP

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lol

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Ruin III will be 130 potency when servers come back up.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Count Bleck posted:

I take my LB3s on (normal) Exdeath VERY seriously.

We had LB3 since before Exdeath was at 40% and it was baffling how long we held it for... no real reason?

Surname Sharers are the worst because if they're idiots they're idiots :byodood: IN LOVE :byodood:

I'm also pretty sure one of them was our Samurai.

My parents play this game and they share a surname :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're condensing Bio and Miasma into a single ability, to encourage summoners to use Ruin more.