Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I want to hear more stories about what it was like between this episode and the next btw.

well, even those in the know weren't sure if picard was gonna make it, because his contract was under heavy negotiation and it was perfectly possible he was gonna leave between seasons. had things gone a bit differently, the last anyone would have ever seen of captain picard would be stock footage of locutus from part 1 followed by him dying offscreen as Captain Riker blew him up with space lasers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well, neither do I. I mean how the heck could you fix this.

Now imagine waiting almost three months to find out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This episode also sets up the beginning of the DS9 pilot

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

they also used it as the setup for first contact, of course. there's better episodes and stories but picard as locutus is probably the one well-known image tng managed to create

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I want to hear more stories about what it was like between this episode and the next btw.

:corsair:

The funny thing about the internet not being available to everyone was it didn't keep rumors from flying around, but it did slow down Official Statements. I had a nerd uncle with Usenet access who would sent me huge printouts of the Star Trek discussions... very strange mix of rumor-mongering and batshit fan theories from TOS jerks who didn't want to admit the new show existed. You had the Star Trek Fan Club magazine, but that only came out every few months and might never even get delivered. (It had the exact same layout as the Lucasfilm Fan Club magazine, which was even worse with subscriptions.) Besides that, you had TV Guide, which wasn't all that helpful for syndicated series. And that was it, maaaaan.

The main thing was not knowing when it was going to first air. I remember turning the TV on every week hoping it would be Part II... and having it be another rerun :tizzy:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I remember a story Patrick Stewart told about being yelled at by a family who were upset about the cliffhanger.

"YOU'VE RUINED OUR SUMMER!"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Security for the season premiere was incredibly tight -- the powers that be didn't want ANY spoilers getting out about Part 2. And to my knowledge, it worked. Nobody knew what was going to happen.

One of the security measures they took (revealed long after the fact) was pretty interesting. There's a super quick mention in Part 2 of a "Jupiter Outpost 92". Everyone who got a copy of the script (actors, director, set decorators, whatever) got a different numbered Jupiter Outpost in that line of dialogue. If a copy of the script DID get leaked and start circulating on fan BBSes or on Usenet, the powers that be could easily find out exactly who did it, so they could take a d'k tahg to their nuts (or at least make sure they'd never work in Hollywood again).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Someone should overdub the first 15 minutes of Best of Both Worlds Part 2 with a muffled Sisko going NOOOooooOOOOooo somewhere on the Enterprise.

Fun fact: the USS Enterprise D, crew compliment 1,014, has 40 times the internal volume of a Nimitz class aircraft carrier, crew compliment 5,700.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHqRHDZ6C5Y

Except instead of Sonic he's saying Sisko

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Arglebargle III posted:

Someone should overdub the first 15 minutes of Best of Both Worlds Part 2 with a muffled Sisko going NOOOooooOOOOooo somewhere on the Enterprise.

Fun fact: the USS Enterprise D, crew compliment 1,014, has 40 times the internal volume of a Nimitz class aircraft carrier, crew compliment 5,700.

Gotta have room for all those arboretums and anbo-jytsu gyms

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

plus the cetacean quarters are probably pretty big

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

And whales.

edit: beaten.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bring back sequest

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Our only hope now is one plucky lieutenant named Sisko.

And what a lucky young man he is! A lieutenant commander at thirty-five, a beautiful wife that means the world to him, a wonderful son he adores, and a respectable position as first officer of the Saratoga that's on the right track to a captaincy. Nothing can spoil his day!

Actually, this revisit of BoBW has me wondering something really nerdy. Anyone remember Star Trek: Borg, that old broken-rear end FMV game that only ran on Windows 3.1? The majority of the game has you riding around on an Excelsior-class ship (USS Righteous?) that's tailing the cube from BoBW up until Wolf 359, and I do kinda wonder how to fit the game's story in with the timeline of the episodes. My own guess is that after the Enterprise's deflector burns out and they stall for repairs, the Righteous picks up on the cube shortly after, they tail it while the game's storyline plays out, and then they're "destroyed" at Wolf 359. Basically, the entire game's story takes place concurrently with the first two acts of BoBWII, though with just enough leeway that the Righteous and the Enterprise never interact. (Not sure about spoilers with Jeb watching, but why take a chance?)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dude, spoilers.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Except instead of Sonic he's saying Sisko

Never mind, Sisko is the lead of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and is present for some of the events in Best of Both Worlds Part II but does not appear in The Next Generation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Your soundtrack as you have known it is over. Sonic wallpaper will now service us.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And the crew lounges. I love the idea of a lone ensign going to a completely empty crew lounge and drinking his synthale alone at an empty bar.

Somewhat related, this guy is still working on recreating the ENT-D in its entirety.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_vcT0arKB0

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

bring back sequest

Now that show had a cliffhanger. Say what you will about seaQuest.

The titular submarine was taken to another planet which was 100% ocean by an alien played by Mark Hamill. It exploded under water, with the apparent loss of all hands, while, on the surface of an endless alien sea, a single rubber raft floated with a teenage genius and a genetically engineered soldier moron with only a single dolphin to keep them company.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Didn't the show just end at that point?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Didn't the show just end at that point?

Nope. There was another season or two.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I thought they changed the name of the show, like they came back 1000 years into the future or something.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

I thought they changed the name of the show, like they came back 1000 years into the future or something.

They did change the name but it was only like 14 years later

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mental Hospitality posted:

And the crew lounges. I love the idea of a lone ensign going to a completely empty crew lounge and drinking his synthale alone at an empty bar.

All that space and they still couldn't find quarters with a window for Worf or Data. :(

Somewhat related, this guy is still working on recreating the ENT-D in its entirety.

And I still think that's cool.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

After The War posted:

:corsair:

The funny thing about the internet not being available to everyone was it didn't keep rumors from flying around, but it did slow down Official Statements. I had a nerd uncle with Usenet access who would sent me huge printouts of the Star Trek discussions... very strange mix of rumor-mongering and batshit fan theories from TOS jerks who didn't want to admit the new show existed. You had the Star Trek Fan Club magazine, but that only came out every few months and might never even get delivered. (It had the exact same layout as the Lucasfilm Fan Club magazine, which was even worse with subscriptions.) Besides that, you had TV Guide, which wasn't all that helpful for syndicated series. And that was it, maaaaan.

The main thing was not knowing when it was going to first air. I remember turning the TV on every week hoping it would be Part II... and having it be another rerun :tizzy:

Sounds like someone didn't go to B Dalton or Waldenbooks every month to pick up the latest Starlog. :smug:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Bloop posted:

They did change the name but it was only like 14 years later

no it didn't that never happened

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

All that space and they still couldn't find quarters with a window for Worf or Data. :(

Wouldn't every room without a window just have a main bridge-like holoscreen wired to the hull cameras so you could have any view you wanted anyway?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Another one for the Worf Gets Owned file.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, I don't know if anyone skipped around and caught the ending of this.

He launches a shuttle, lands on the engineering section, and takes a stroll outside.

He then gets back in, flies up to the saucer, and he has a "Remote Saucer Separation" button in the shuttle. Which he presses. And it does.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It kinda bugs me that there are currently two Create The Entire Enterprise-D In A Game Engine projects right now. Combine!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Apart from awful performance that Stage 9 recreation is pretty drat awesome in VR. The best thing was walking out the shuttlebay doors and getting a sense of vertigo from the secondary hull and nacelles that lay before me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Efb

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 8, 2017

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

I think it would have been interesting had Shelby in fact replaced Riker. She would have had to have a different hairdo for it to work out though.

Sorry, Shelby. It's right there in the rules, all First Officers have to have mariners' beards.

...I quite liked Riker as the ambitious young officer he was before the beard. Once they discovered that Frakes was a jazz man it set Riker down the road to being complacent and tubby :(

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

WampaLord posted:

Another one for the Worf Gets Owned file.

Is there a montage of these? There has to be a montage of these.

Anyway, this week on My TNG Rewatch:

Senior Star Fleet Officers Go To The Holodeck And Spend Ten Minutes Designing A Table

(actually a pretty cool use of the holodeck for the plot of this episode, now that I think about it. In fact, is this the first time it's been used an actual practical tool for such a simple purpose? And I mean not in a "let's simulate a fanciful technology" kinda way)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

spincube posted:

...I quite liked Riker as the ambitious young officer he was before the beard. Once they discovered that Frakes was a jazz man it set Riker down the road to being complacent and tubby :(
You know, between Sisko and Riker I wonder if there's some kind of Louisiana old boys' club in Starfleet.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah yes, Alaska, transcendental home of 20th century jazz(???).

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Alaska is kind of backwards and constantly stuck in the past.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Orv posted:

Ah yes, Alaska, transcendental home of 20th century jazz(???).

In the 2300s New Orleans real estate became entirely devoted to not-for-profit Cajun restaurants, forcing the Preservation Hall Jazz Band to relocate to Anchorage.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Could TNG have kept on with Frakes playing Captain Riker if Stewart had left after season three? Is there any world in which TNG could have conceivably kept going for 15 years and ended with a largely different cast than it started with like a soap opera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I like Frakes and I believe he probably could have kept the show going til season 7, but it probably would have evolved into something much more similar to TOS. Without Picard's measured diplomat at the forefront, Riker would probably have been subtly rewritten as a Kirk analogue with Data becoming even more like Spock and maybe Worf(?) rounding out the trio. I'm not sure you'd have gotten DS9 and Voyager in that timeline.