Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Watchmen was definitely not made better by diluting its political commentary, dated as some of it might've been by the time the film came out.

I'll tell you what will definitely make Watchmen better.

Having Superman punch Dr Manhattan in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

lelandjs posted:

I don't dismiss it! I've read the entire thing, front to back, twice (okay I skipped the essays the second time around). It's a hugely important work, and Dave Sim's role in encouraging and protecting indie comic creators cannot be overstated.

It just sucks that he has lovely opinions and that he's a HUGE rear end in a top hat.

quote:

O: Are there parts of your story that you would still like to address, or perspectives that you feel you haven't yet had the chance to get across?

DS: Ever the oblique leftist. I don't "feel." If I "felt," I would never have gotten the book done. I'd be off "feeling" somewhere. My best intellectual assessment of the completed work is that I said exactly what I wanted to say, exactly the way I wanted to say it. What you want to know is if I'm going to continue to attack feminism, and what sort of artillery I have left. I have a lot of artillery left. My best guess would be that I emptied one metaphorical clip from one metaphorical AK-47, mostly firing over your heads and at the ground, although most of you are feeling as if I dropped an atomic bomb on your house on Christmas morning.

Leftist reactions are always histrionic. If it becomes necessary to renew my attack, I'll renew my attack. At this point, I think history will do most of the dirty work. Feminists are in an untenable position, defending something they no longer believe in, and which history will force them to recognize was destructive of most of the central pillars of civilization. I'm just the first one to point it out publicly. Everyone ignored Winston Churchill's warnings in 1937, but the question for Churchill wasn't, "What are you going to do to convince people you're right in 1938, 1939, and 1940?" If you perceive reality accurately—and I think I perceive reality a lot more accurately than feminists do—then ultimately, history will prove you right.

O: Again, I wasn't referring specifically to your writings on feminism. You mentioned that you should have made the series 250 issues, instead of 300. But if it took 300 issues to say exactly what you wanted to say as you wanted to say it, presumably 250 issues wouldn't have been enough space. Did you ever reach a point where 300 issues didn't seem like enough space?

DS: Oh, no. Sorry, I misunderstood. [...]

:cawg:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Plenty of artists are creeps. Dave Sims is vocal and lovely about his creepiness, but just on like a basic universal barometer, what Thurston Moore and Wayne Coyne have done in the past few years is way more creepy and bad.

"Kill yr idols" is now so ironic it hurts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Musicians don't count, it's almost a requirement to be lovely to be a musician.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
iirc Dave Sim has paranoid schizophrenia which is part of why he's such a weird rear end in a top hat

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aphrodite posted:

Has anyone mentioned Varg yet?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So this season of Rick and Morty kind of sucks so far.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's great actually unless you're in love with Rick

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arist posted:

It's great actually unless you're in love with Rick

The R&M thread reminded me why I avoid most threads for shows in progress.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

It's certainly a requirement to be a good musician. Even Michael Stipe is (allegedly) a terrible womanizer (and man-izer, whatever the term for that is). His ex-boyfriend wrote a novel about their relationship and at the time they were together he was a coke-fueled monster (hence the album after he got clean being named... monster)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

McSpanky posted:

I'm sorry

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IRQ posted:

Has anyone mentioned Varg yet?

The Count acted in self defense! It's jut the other guys attack hasn't started and might not ever have. But still!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
This season of R&M is great so far, I've been enjoying it more than season two.

My main problem with the show is still that Rick is simultaneously the funniest and least compelling character, and it completely loses me every time they try to get me to care about him as a person. Rick is just Dan Harmon's Gary Stu self-insert character and all of his problems boil down to "Rick is an rear end in a top hat, but he's always right and it's everyone else's fault that he's too real for them". I'm really tired of the writers trying to have their cake and eat it too by making Rick a tragic character but not making him flawed or experience hardship in a meaningful way. It's a shame too, because the rest of the cast is really well written.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HorseRenoir posted:

My main problem with the show is still that Rick is simultaneously the funniest and least compelling character, and it completely loses me every time they try to get me to care about him as a person. Rick is just Dan Harmon's Gary Stu self-insert character and all of his problems boil down to "Rick is an rear end in a top hat, but he's always right and it's everyone else's fault that he's too real for them". I'm really tired of the writers trying to have their cake and eat it too by making Rick a tragic character but not making him flawed or experience hardship in a meaningful way. It's a shame too, because the rest of the cast is really well written.

This is the opposite of the truth though? Like, the latest episode is a complete refutation of this entire idea

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys are too invested in Dan Harmon's personal life. Rick and Morty is awesome, always.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
R&M is awesome. The fandom is doing it's best to be the worst fandom ever.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If creative types were nice people they'd have real jobs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

If creative types were nice people they'd have real jobs.

Windy & Carl own a record store :colbert:

(and also are genuinely super nice people)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was curious if the third season turn would happen to a show as ridiculously beloved as Rick and Morty, but no show is immune. The internet turns on every nerd show in season 3

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I remember a while ago Snak asked how he was supposed to finish Korra when I mentioned Season 4 wasn't streaming on Amazon Prime. Well, it turns out it is streaming somewhere... Nickelodeon's website! Hope you can link a cable provider and deal with their lovely player!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Windy & Carl own a record store :colbert:

(and also are genuinely super nice people)

Don't get specific, tortured artists need to either be tortured or to torture. It's been a thing since day 1

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I've never heard of Cerebrus but the discussion makes me think of that scene from The Wire where McNulty tells Daniels that the Judge is a piece of poo poo and Daniels replies with "We're all pieces of poo poo when we're in your way. That goes with the territory."

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

I actually mostly agree but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the show because it's still really funny. I just don't think the show's earned its sentimentality in most cases.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think this season of Rick & Morty has been good. Great, even! But then again I personally think the show peaked with S01E02 "Lawnmower Dog", so...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lmao, what a loving twat. "you ask what other things do I feel I want to say, plebe? heh, let me ramble on for 10 minutes about how histrionic you are."

gently caress this manchild and gently caress his comic book

McSpanky posted:

You should avoid other peoples' opinions on R&M in general, that poo poo is on a level that other shows don't deserve to be tainted with.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 8, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arist posted:

This is the opposite of the truth though? Like, the latest episode is a complete refutation of this entire idea

And this is hardly the first episode to say so.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
My point is that even when Rick gets called out on his bullshit, it never really sticks in a meaningful way. Every time Rick encounters a problem, it's either shown to be someone else's fault or he easily solves the problem without any outside help. Rick is never not being depicted as a super-competent badass who always has the answers, whose only flaw is that he's too smart and cynical and correct to deal with normal people (but the show often agrees with his cynicism, which doesn't really make it a flaw). The writers really want the viewer to emphasize with how hard it is to be Rick, and I think the sentiment is largely unearned.

I think it would make a huge difference if, just once, the writers put Rick into a situation where he was wrong and Morty was right.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

My point is that even when Rick gets called out on his bullshit, it never really sticks in a meaningful way. Every time Rick encounters a problem, it's either shown to be someone else's fault or he easily solves the problem without any outside help. Rick is never not being depicted as a super-competent badass who always has the answers, whose only flaw is that he's too smart and cynical and correct to deal with normal people (but the show often agrees with his cynicism, which doesn't really make it a flaw). The writers really want the viewer to emphasize with how hard it is to be Rick, and I think the sentiment is largely unearned.

I think it would make a huge difference if, just once, the writers put Rick into a situation where he was wrong and Morty was right.

I've only watched like 50% of rick and morty so far, so I'm not caught up and am avoiding spoilers, but that's already happened at least once, so...

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

HorseRenoir posted:

That's probably not going to happen, at least not in the explicit way you want. You know why? Because humans aren't that easy. Put Rick into that kind of situation and he will somehow twist it so that he's right because that's the kind of person he is. He can't lose. He'll never lose. And if he does, it'll be because of something else, or because he didn't really want to win anyway. He will learn nothing because he already knows everything.

What the show is asking instead is "Assume Rick Sanchez is always right. So what?" Among many other things, my therapist has been trying to drill into my head the importance of perspective when dealing with anxiety and depression, and that's Rick's issue, flat out. The man has all the answers and he keeps learning the worst possible things from them, and it's slowly destroying himself and the people he pretends not to care about. The show's exploring that in a very deliberate way, and the minute Rick has to say "Gosh Morty, m-m-maybe I was wr<BELCH>ng about this," that effort gets undermined in a very critical way.

But hey, maybe it's in the cards and they'll find a way to pull it off. Who knows?

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 8, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There are poo poo-tons of situations where Rick is factually right about something and it's clear the Morty understands the morality of it much better. The idea that Rick is portrayed as being "always right" is silly. But again, I'm like a season behind, so i shouldn't even be talking about this.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

HorseRenoir posted:

Rick is never not being depicted as a super-competent badass who always has the answers

He tried to kill himself and only failed because he was too hosed up and passed out. And as for all the answers

quote:

In the episode with the parasites Morty basically instantly figures out they can only show happy memories and Rick is completely surprised by this idea. Rick is so emotionally retarded he couldn't figure out the obvious, and Morty had to come up with the clever solution.

Everything on the show has consequences, they just aren't all glaring in neon and obvious. Morty bitches and freaks out a bit less, but is also way more disturbed than when the show started. Hell, you could make the argument that Rick finally driving Jerry off is just another coping mechanism, as the original Rick was too burnt to even give a poo poo about controlling the people he actually cares about that much.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

you know what would be really awesome? talking about Rick and Morty in the Rick and Morty thread

someone on Twitter asked a question about people's favorite forgotten TV shows and the first thing that came to my mind was Perfect Couples, which was a kinda bland sitcom that was only notable because the cast was loving stacked with really talented people all of whom pretty much went on to do bigger and better things or continue to star in sitcoms that didn't quite take off.

Case in point:
Kyle Bornheimer: The ultimate sitcom "That Guy", showed up in everything from Brooklyn Nine-Nine to Casual to Agent Carter to Playing House to Comedy Bang-Bang, and that's not including all of his one-off guest spots.
Christine Woods: Played opposite Stephen Merchant in Hello Ladies, also played Matthew Perry's dead wife in Goon and Thomas Lennon's living wife in The Odd Couple
David Walton: Starred in Bent and About a Boy, also showed up repeatedly in New Girl and cheated on Mila Kunis in Bad Moms.
Mary Elizabeth Ellis: The Waitress! Also was Fred Savage's wife in The Grinder.
Hayes MacArthur: Angie Tribeca's partner, also Matthew Perry's buddy in Goon
Olivia Munn: Psylocke, Newsroom, a bunch of other movies, former girlfriend of Aaron Rodgers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wish Kyle Bornheimer would find a show that works. The first time I saw him was on Worst Week which I think was another sitcom that died too soon. At least with the concept it still works as a good easy one season watch. But he’s great at the slapstick physical comedy stuff and I enjoy him pretty much every time he shows up in something, even when he occasionally shows up in dramas he’s good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"Stop talking about this show I don't care about! Talk about this really boring poo poo instead" hehe

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Escobarbarian posted:

"Stop talking about this show I don't care about! Talk about this really boring poo poo instead" hehe

Alright if you wanna keep going whatever, I'll just talk about my lame NBC sitcoms in the R&M thread. I'm sure that will go over great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But this isn't the lame NBC sitcom thread. It's general chat. Trying to shut down a certain discussion because it personally doesn't interest you seems so weird, unless it was getting actively malicious and such. But mainly it was just people explaining to one poster how exactly he misunderstood one episode.

To add to your discussion the only names from that list I could recognise are Ellis and Munn, so I can't really relate.

e: also, to go back to an earlier discussion, why do people hate Gaiman so much?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Comic writers are basically like Highlander.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Escobarbarian posted:

e: also, to go back to an earlier discussion, why do people hate Gaiman so much?

I don't hate him but I think his writing is just a notch or two above Dan Brown tier.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Are you new?

X-O posted:

Greetings 2017, sure to be a fantastic year! Right?

Thread Rules.

1 - No Star Trek (Go here)
2 - No Dr. Who (Go here)
3 - No Westworld (Go here)
4 - No Avatar/Korra (Go... somewhere else?)
5 - Here's the IRC link if you want it for some reason Nevermind this is dead dinosaur tech apparently!
5 - Here's the link for the TVIV Discord. It's like IRC but new and good I'm told: https://discord.gg/ebYDQBm

Couch Chat Specific Spoiler Rules: Do no ask for or post spoilers for anything aired in the last week on TV. Go to the thread for that show if you want to know spoilers. No thread for the show and you still want spoilers? Google it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DivisionPost posted:

That's probably not going to happen, at least not in the explicit way you want. You know why? Because humans aren't that easy. Put Rick into that kind of situation and he will somehow twist it so that he's right because that's the kind of person he is. He can't lose. He'll never lose. And if he does, it'll be because of something else, or because he didn't really want to win anyway. He will learn nothing because he already knows everything.

What the show is asking instead is "Assume Rick Sanchez is always right. So what?" Among many other things, my therapist has been trying to drill into my head the importance of perspective when dealing with anxiety and depression, and that's Rick's issue, flat out. The man has all the answers and he keeps learning the worst possible things from them, and it's slowly destroying himself and the people he pretends not to care about. The show's exploring that in a very deliberate way, and the minute Rick has to say "Gosh Morty, m-m-maybe I was wr<BELCH>ng about this," that effort gets undermined in a very critical way.

But hey, maybe it's in the cards and they'll find a way to pull it off. Who knows?

I don't really care about all that, I just don't find it very funny. Both episodes have leaned way too hard into almost Superjail levels of " gratuitous violence = instant funny" and the Mad Max episode was borderline Family Guy in terms of how many of its jokes were just things from the movies only this time it's Morty doing the Hulkamaniac pose in the Thunderdome and and instead of spitting gasoline into their engines they're using Rick's flask :xd:

• Locked thread