Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

:page3:

Geburan posted:

That's good to hear. Any combos that are especially fun/painful? There seems to be a lot of whining about swords on Reddit.
Blades are quite fine, but they're one of those weapons that demand you go all in on them as a primary. If you want something to splash as a secondary, literally anything else is better.

Len posted:

loving p2w system. Just did a Polaris where we wiped three times to Ur Draug because the tank didn't know how to manage aggro or not cleave the party. A DPS in GREENS pulled aggro off him on fight 2. Dude pulled without the healer for fight three.

His gear? All three pips. Mythic head. Purple everything else. Purple Intricate hit glyph. And the rest we're intricate evasions mostly blue but one purple.

I would have assumed that even paying your way to that gear you would know to not face bosses at the DPS. But apparently not.
To be fair, would any of this be different if they were yet another scrub in greens/blues? Surely, we're all evolved enough at this point to mutually acknowledge that money doesn't equal skill. That's the whole point, innit?

Amante fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Actually I think even the devs consider Blades somewhat underperforming and unsatisfying to use. They said they're looking into them. Personally I don't like how they're poo poo before you get your Chi Blade up, after which they start performing as well as the other weapons.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

Actually I think even the devs consider Blades somewhat underperforming and unsatisfying to use. They said they're looking into them. Personally I don't like how they're poo poo before you get your Chi Blade up, after which they start performing as well as the other weapons.
Funcom has heard the "we hate blades" feedback and is definitely looking into buffing them. This doesn't mean anything is wrong with them... if anything, there is much evidence to suggest that they are one of the BEST weapons at higher gear levels. None of that matters, however, as chi feels bad as a mechanic solo-wise (which is the highest level of play most people will ever see), so Blades will get laughably overbuffed and then, eventually, laughably overnerfed. You heard it here first!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The very comprehensive DPS mechanics guide on Reddit has a good breakdown of the various issues surrounding each weapon. The primary problem with Blades is that while they are competitive damage-wise with the other weapons, they require a full 30 seconds or so of melee uptime on the boss to get to that point. Obviously fights are a little more mobile than that and boss mechanics ensure you won't get that amount of free time to sidle right up to a big bad, so Blades struggle to hit their potential output.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

But actually getting that gear is a relatively involved process. You can't buy oranges. You can't even buy purples directly. You have to buy caches, buy purples with those, then grind those into purples.

I could've sworn last time I looked it was possible to spend aurum on things in the fusion tab to bump up pips and item level color along with converting aurum to marks for anything else so other than money, it would be the time spent levelling the items up.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

I could've sworn last time I looked it was possible to spend aurum on things in the fusion tab to bump up pips and item level color along with converting aurum to marks for anything else so other than money, it would be the time spent levelling the items up.
Yeah, you can buy consumables that up an item's pips to 3 or act as a substitute item for fusion. The price is a "reasonable" 2500 Aurum per.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Amante posted:

Yeah, you can buy consumables that up an item's pips to 3 or act as a substitute item for fusion. The price is a "reasonable" 2500 Aurum per.

Isn't that roughly 25 U.S. dollars?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Amante posted:

Blades are quite fine, but they're one of those weapons that demand you go all in on them as a primary. If you want something to splash as a secondary, literally anything else is better.

To be fair, would any of this be different if they were yet another scrub in greens/blues? Surely, we're all evolved enough at this point to mutually acknowledge that money doesn't equal skill. That's the whole point, innit?

But a scrub in greens/blues I would accept as bad and attempt to give helpful feedback for a guy rocking gear that good just makes me irrationally angry when they get out performed by green DPS. Didn't help the tank never said a single word despite us trying to explain "we are made of tissue paper please stop pointing bosses at us"

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

prefect posted:

Isn't that roughly 25 U.S. dollars?
Nah, it's "just" $20.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

M_Sinistrari posted:

You still have to get things to level 30.

I don't think even most whales are buying the items that up your pips. Those things are like $25, it's almost certainly cheaper to just exchange aurum for MoFs and just buying them outright.

edit:

Amante posted:

Nah, it's "just" $20.
$20 gets you 2120 aurum, and those are 2500. You either need to have saved up some aurum off the exchange or buy another $5 worth.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 8, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Amante posted:

Nah, it's "just" $20.

I would probably pay five bucks to get an item turbo-charged (if I had been drinking), but that seems really expensive.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
It's bad enough that people are whaling their way to yellow items - if it was five bucks to upgrade poo poo it might be even worse. Although I guess you'd assume people whaling would just spend the money upfront on three dot items so perhaps making the upgrade item attainable to lower players may be nice.

Regarding paying for purples, remember that while you can buy catalysts that count as one leveled purple, you still have to get one item up to 30 purple so there's a lot of lockbox opening going on.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

prefect posted:

I would probably pay five bucks to get an item turbo-charged (if I had been drinking), but that seems really expensive.

Pretty sure it's prohibitively high on purpose - making the cost reasonable would crater the 3-pip market on the AH.

I mean, it's up to you whether that's good or bad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

theflyingorc posted:

Pretty sure it's prohibitively high on purpose - making the cost reasonable would crater the 3-pip market on the AH.

I mean, it's up to you whether that's good or bad.

It would be worth it just for the Discord exploding into "THE AH IS CRASHING!!!1" again

It does that a lot. God forbid Aurum drop one mark in price

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Len posted:

It would be worth it just for the Discord exploding into "THE AH IS CRASHING!!!1" again

It does that a lot. God forbid Aurum drop one mark in price

As it is, the Aurum dropping's been pretty steady as of late.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm converting all my marks to aurum as soon as it hits 100 maybe.

Maybe.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

M_Sinistrari posted:

As it is, the Aurum dropping's been pretty steady as of late.

And that's bad that I'll be able to upgrade sprint without paying an arm and a leg because?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Richard M Nixon posted:

Regarding paying for purples, remember that while you can buy catalysts that count as one leveled purple, you still have to get one item up to 30 purple so there's a lot of lockbox opening going on.

Where do you buy these catalysts?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Plus sign menu in fusion window.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Len posted:

And that's bad that I'll be able to upgrade sprint without paying an arm and a leg because?

I apologize if it came across as a bad thing. Honestly, each day I log in and check the exchange to see the price drop further puts a smile on my face since I've got ARG weapons on each of my roster that I need to upgrade to 3 pips along with wanting to go on a mad clothing buying spree across the board. Haven't even started looking at what's buyable for sprints and pets yet. If the price drops to 100 or lower, I likely will liquidate all my marks for aurum since it's easy to recoup marks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

M_Sinistrari posted:

I apologize if it came across as a bad thing. Honestly, each day I log in and check the exchange to see the price drop further puts a smile on my face since I've got ARG weapons on each of my roster that I need to upgrade to 3 pips along with wanting to go on a mad clothing buying spree across the board. Haven't even started looking at what's buyable for sprints and pets yet. If the price drops to 100 or lower, I likely will liquidate all my marks for aurum since it's easy to recoup marks.

Ah sorry thought you were in the "this is a bad thing" camp since the Discord gives off that vibe. I don't see any real problem with prices across the board lowering but apparently things dropping in price is a bad thing? If aurum drops to 100 you're looking at each weapon bag being worth approximately two aurum and since I get weapons faster than I can auction them off that works out pretty okay

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Amante posted:

I've been noticing that for my hammer/blade alt. I've got blood, pistols, elemental, fist and chaos left from my ARG items, anything in particular stand out for a hammer primary who's mainly going to be casual tanking for a group of buddies not aiming for the endgame stuff? I don't think there's anything I *need*, particularly since we'll be taking 4-5 people into places built for 3, I just want to avoid anything that takes a lot of bar investment (like how blade has a separate button to forge the thing, or assault rifle needs a grenade outlet) and if it adds something interesting to my arsenal that's a bonus.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Blade is fun but the window for activating chi is pretty short, so making the most of it in fights with a lot of ground effects can be a real pain. Doesn't matter so much if you're tanking, but as DPS it can be a problem.

What's aggravating the issue is that blade doesn't have much in the way of burst damage that can be deployed while the buff is active. Dancing blade does decent damage, but it's channeled, so again, an issue in fights requiring lots of mobility.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Len posted:

Ah sorry thought you were in the "this is a bad thing" camp since the Discord gives off that vibe. I don't see any real problem with prices across the board lowering but apparently things dropping in price is a bad thing? If aurum drops to 100 you're looking at each weapon bag being worth approximately two aurum and since I get weapons faster than I can auction them off that works out pretty okay

It's a marketplace. One side's gain is another side's loss by definition.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Len posted:

When I was waiting on my Flappy run to start, there were a few people upset about the price dropping. I'm not sure why it's apparently such a horrible thing either, but there's not many things I'm looking to get that are aurum only prices.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

M_Sinistrari posted:

When I was waiting on my Flappy run to start, there were a few people upset about the price dropping. I'm not sure why it's apparently such a horrible thing either, but there's not many things I'm looking to get that are aurum only prices.

For people who have more money than time to spare, aurum going down in value is bad. :shrug:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

prefect posted:

For people who have more money than time to spare, aurum going down in value is bad. :shrug:

I guess. :shrug: I rarely buy any game's funbux on thier own and generally get along fine with whatever stipend I get for being a sub/lifer. But also, I'm one of those 'feeelthy casuals' who has the patience to grind things out.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

M_Sinistrari posted:

I guess. :shrug: I rarely buy any game's funbux on thier own and generally get along fine with whatever stipend I get for being a sub/lifer. But also, I'm one of those 'feeelthy casuals' who has the patience to grind things out.

I'm somewhere in between. Usually, just through playing the game, I'll have plenty of whatever I need to be just fine. But sometimes I feel the itch, and I spend real money in a debauched frenzy of "trying to get that really cool lightsaber" or something like that. :blush:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Len posted:

I do not think this drop will be permanent. It will also come to pass that only dungeon radiants/intricate fierces will be worth anything at all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tallgeese posted:

I do not think this drop will be permanent. It will also come to pass that only dungeon radiants/intricate fierces will be worth anything at all.

You mean exactly like things are now?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Len posted:

You mean exactly like things are now?

Well, Radiant Rings are worth a couple thousand.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

prefect posted:

I'm somewhere in between. Usually, just through playing the game, I'll have plenty of whatever I need to be just fine. But sometimes I feel the itch, and I spend real money in a debauched frenzy of "trying to get that really cool lightsaber" or something like that. :blush:

Ehh, the SWTOR thread's got the evidence of my long scrimp/save/broke down and flipped lockboxes to get the Darth Andeddu armor set because I really wanted that chestpiece for my beefcake toons. I regret nothing. :colbert:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I love that Moose has a thing for Andy. It's pretty adorable.

On the other hand Andy attacked me with filthy cats.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So I was playing this on Steam last night, had like 12 hours on it total when it suddenly BSOD and shut down my laptop. Now it throws up an error and crashes shortly after I hit start game. Anyone else had this issue?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Len posted:

Ah sorry thought you were in the "this is a bad thing" camp since the Discord gives off that vibe.

"A hat dropped? The sky is falling" has been a core behavioral reaction of TSW players since the beginning, to be fair

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

So I was playing this on Steam last night, had like 12 hours on it total when it suddenly BSOD and shut down my laptop. Now it throws up an error and crashes shortly after I hit start game. Anyone else had this issue?

Your laptop GPU probably cooked off. See if you can run any other demanding 3D games or if it's cactus.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DancingShade posted:

Your laptop GPU probably cooked off. See if you can run any other demanding 3D games or if it's cactus.

I can play Total Warhammer and Vermintide no problem. I'll try reinstalling once I'm off hotel wifi

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

novaSphere posted:

"A hat dropped? The sky is falling" has been a core behavioral reaction of TSW players since the beginning, to be fair

That seems like a reasonable expectation, since we're playing an MMO that doesn't have elves in it. I'm thrilled/surprised it still exists, to be honest.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

prefect posted:

That seems like a reasonable expectation, since we're playing an MMO that doesn't have elves in it. I'm thrilled/surprised it still exists, to be honest.

You can turn into an elf with an accessory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Can confirm that in 2017 scenarios still suck.