Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Roth posted:

Rachel and Kurt bothers me with how incredibly out of nowhere it is. I know these our superhero stories focused on action and aimed primarily at teenage boys, but I really wish we could get some romances that are actually developed decently, and not just: "Oh, I guess this is a thing now"

Yea I can accept Kitty and Pietor getting back together, as there is history there, but Rachael and Kurt feels like they looked at one of those "who hosed who in the marvel universe" and realizing they're the only ones who haven't banged out of the X-men.

I don't think I've ever once seen Rachael have any interest in anyone in all the X-men I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Rachel and Kurt hooking up is just sort of there for me, I don't love it but I don't care enough about it to hate it. It doesn't make sense given their years together in Excalibur, but whatever. Bring back Amanda Sefton I say. What bugs me more is that Kurt is apparently immortal now because he fled from heaven. It's just so loving silly and I have a high tolerance for X-silliness.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Blue feels like a comic that was just starting to tell the story it was interested in telling and then got sidetracked by Secret Empire.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I like how Jean Grey is turning into Marvel Team-Up, even if the premises of the issues themselves tend to be thin. Did the, uh, dead Jean ever manifest Psylocke's brain armory gimmick too?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I can accept Kitty and Pietor getting back together, as there is history there, but Rachael and Kurt feels like they looked at one of those "who hosed who in the marvel universe" and realizing they're the only ones who haven't banged out of the X-men.

I don't think I've ever once seen Rachael have any interest in anyone in all the X-men I've read.

While it would be perfectly normal in the real world for such a thing, it is weird in comics where there is a constant push from each new writing team to hook up all the characters that she is so rarely written as dating anyone.

I think Korvus (that sword guy, I had to look up his name) is the only one I know of. Oh and of course Franklin Richards (from her world, not like, the little kid).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

Read Claremont Excalibur, Rachel and Kitty were as much a thing as you could get away with in 1989.

Edit: Which actually makes Rachel and Kurt being a thing even weirder.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

Read Claremont Excalibur, Rachel and Kitty were as much a thing as you could get away with in 1989.

Edit: Which actually makes Rachel and Kurt being a thing even weirder.

Well yea, I've listened to Jay and Miles from the start. Claremont straight up said that Kitty and Rachael are the ultimate pair, though I'm with them reading it Kitty and Illyana. But that's probably because I just really like Illyana.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

Well yea, I've listened to Jay and Miles from the start. Claremont straight up said that Kitty and Rachael are the ultimate pair, though I'm with them reading it Kitty and Illyana. But that's probably because I just really like Illyana.

I read Claremont's Excalibur before listening to Jay and Miles, and it was still really obvious.

I think there was some stuff about Rachel and Sublime in Brian Wood's all lady X-Men team, and I think she was also into someone on The StarJammers when she was hanging with them during Abnett/Lanning's Galactic stuff.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I never would've guessed Kitty/Rachel was a thing just from Claremont on Excalibur, but when he came back in the '90s and early '00s, it felt like he was warming up real hard to make Kitty/Xi'an a thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The universe has been remade 6 times since then.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The thing I find funny about Kurt and Rachel hooking up is one of them trying to use Brian and Megan as a positive example for team members dating. Now I haven't read a whole lot of Excalibur, but I seem to recall that relationship having its share of drama, and Kurt being responsible for no small part of it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

They absolutely had (have?) a hosed up relationship and though Kurt's flirtation with Meggan complicated things because Braddock is a meat-headed jackass, Kurt was super respectful and a good friend to her. Kurt's the best.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Colossus seems pretty creepy with kitty in Gold. I never read the runs where they were together so maybe I'm missing something.

Rachel and Kurt is even more confusing because I didn't think they had any history at all but like I said I'm not as familiar with x-men as everyone else here.

I have given up on blue though, the original 5 are just so boring. I like Jean Grey's solo so that is actually pretty cool.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I actually think I like Iceman the most out of the new X-Men books. Cable's also pretty good.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Roth posted:

I actually think I like Iceman the most out of the new X-Men books. Cable's also pretty good.

Cable is really good! And I liked Astonishing #1 and Weapon X so far.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

howe_sam posted:

Blue feels like a comic that was just starting to tell the story it was interested in telling and then got sidetracked by Secret Empire.

Oh yeah I have 100% lost interest in Blue, especially since I've elected to not read Secret Empire at all. It's really hard not to read it as an "alternate continuity, none of this weird poo poo means anything" for that reason; I keep forgetting this dumb-assed status quo is actually "real" in the MU right now. Plus I'm not happy with them bringing in more Ultimate Universe characters- literally nobody was asking for another Wolverine. And as much as I thought I was gung-ho for a "The X-Men Versus Conservativism" story, nothing about the new issue of Gold grabbed me. I am however really liking Weapon-X and all the solo titles, so you know they're all gonna get cancelled and we'll be left with two lame team books and Astonishing, which no matter how well written, I hate the team. Except Gambit. Maybe if I focus all my will, it can be a title starring Gambit, Wolverine/Gabby/Jonathan, and Rockslide.

e: Didn't one of the back page line-wide summary things promise Gabby was getting a codename soon? I hope she gets to pick it herself and it's 100% ridiculous, in the same vein as Negasonic Teenage Warhead.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 7, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I hate Kitty Pryde. She's the absolute worst.

Other than Beast.

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

pubic works project posted:

Cable is really good! And I liked Astonishing #1 and Weapon X so far.

Cable and Astonishing are good, but Weapon X has lost me already. Blue is right on the verge because of SE. Gold is gone, it's just a beige 80's remix.
I'm enjoying Iceman, apart from the art, and still liking Jean Grey so far.
Hopefully by starting with a Phoenix story they can get it out of the way and move on to other stuff. Hopefully they have other stuff to move on to.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Lord Packinham posted:

Colossus seems pretty creepy with kitty in Gold. I never read the runs where they were together so maybe I'm missing something.
I'd wager it was creepier than whatever is happening now, because at the time Piotr was somewhere between 17 and 19, and Kitty was 14 or 15. Breaking them up originally was an Editorial mandate.

Lord Packinham posted:

Rachel and Kurt is even more confusing because I didn't think they had any history at all but like I said I'm not as familiar with x-men as everyone else here.
They haven't had any history as such, but I don't really see why they should need some history together to hook up or get together now.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Roth posted:

I'm really not enjoying Iceman all that much. I mean, I don't hate it - but it goes to the bottom of the pile. I was really never that interested in Iceman as a character, and nothing that's happened in the first couple issues has really made me say "Wow, I can't wait to see what happens next". I'm just kinda meh on the whole thing. X-Men: Blue rates only slightly higher for me - I just don't find myself caring that much about it. It's a little more interesting than Iceman, but only slightly.

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying X-Men: Gold, but as an older guy, I guess I'm right in their target demographic for that one. Cable, Jean Grey, and Astonishing also get high marks.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I wasn't feeling Cable for the first two issues, but I think it really found its pace and its plot with issue three. I'm hella looking forward to the next issue.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

NmareBfly posted:

I just wanna state that I am Real Annoyed that X-men Gold appears to be trying to make Kitty + Colossus a thing again as well as pushing Rachel and Kurt together. I know I've been listening to too much Jay and Miles but come on people.

Same I really like the Colossus/Domino pairing, and seeing that dropped for a stale rehash is annoying.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

I'd wager it was creepier than whatever is happening now, because at the time Piotr was somewhere between 17 and 19, and Kitty was 14 or 15. Breaking them up originally was an Editorial mandate.

It wasn't really that creepy in the comics, because at the time Kitty is far and away the closest in age to Piotr among the X-Men, and yeah a 19 year old shouldn't date a 14 year old, but a 17 year old and a 14 year old is the equivalent of a junior dating a freshman, which happened all the time at my high school, and theoretically Xavier was running a school. There's a lot of creepy and questionable things in Claremont's X-Men, Piotr and Kitty wasn't one them.

But it's also a well that's been visited many times, so it's sorta annoying to hear that they're going back to it.

quote:

They haven't had any history as such, but I don't really see why they should need some history together to hook up or get together now.
I'm not reading the current book, so I don't know how it's being portrayed right now, but they actually do have a long history together, as platonic friends in Excalibur. So that strikes me as a little weird.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also when it looked liked they were all going to become Brood, Kitty tries to sleep with Pietor and he's all "Hell no, you are still way too young".

Because Colossus is just good of a dude.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Speaking of the Brood, will Gabby be okay? :ohdear:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Speaking of the Brood, will Gabby be okay? :ohdear:

The original Wolverine got infected by the Brood multiple times and his healing factor always fought it off.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

The original Wolverine got infected by the Brood multiple times and his healing factor always fought it off.

Yeah but this is a little advanced

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Yeah but this is a little advanced

I'm on unlimited, but I can't imagine they'll kill off Gabby.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I'm on unlimited, but I can't imagine they'll kill off Gabby.

No but eventually she'll be shuffled off and forgotten about.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

twistedmentat posted:

Also when it looked liked they were all going to become Brood, Kitty tries to sleep with Pietor and he's all "Hell no, you are still way too young".

Because Colossus is just good of a dude.

Then he falls for a chick on Battleworld and breaks Kitty's heart.

Wolverine doesn't take kindly to that, and one of the best X-Men comics happens.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Open Marriage Night posted:

Then he falls for a chick on Battleworld and breaks Kitty's heart.

Wolverine doesn't take kindly to that, and one of the best X-Men comics happens.

Yep, and where we got the Phrase "That's just my Sunday Punch!" from.

It a good thing the best hospital in the galaxy is right there! Though we have to know if Gabby is hostile to Laura.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sunday punch is older than that. Its an old boxing term, and the Thing has a Twinkie ad named after it from the 70's.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

twistedmentat posted:

Yep, and where we got the Phrase "That's just my Sunday Punch!" from.

psst that phrase dates back to the late 1920s at least

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah, it was the very first time I even encountered it, and never heard it outside of Juggernaut related stuff, so I assumed it was something from him.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
Logan is so old, he was around during the 1920s. He was probably the boxer who coined it during a fight on Yancy Street that the Thing (or his great-grandfather, depending on sliding timeline) saw and copied for the Twinkies ad.

Where's my no-prize?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Logan is so old, he was around during the 1920s. He was probably the boxer who coined it during a fight on Yancy Street that the Thing (or his great-grandfather, depending on sliding timeline) saw and copied for the Twinkies ad.

Where's my no-prize?

Or Cable.

time travel always involves those two assholes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Except for the time when The Thing became Blackbeard and created a time paradox.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

Except for the time when The Thing became Blackbeard and created a time paradox.

Ben Grimm being Blackbeard is my favorite fact about Marvel comics, also Doc Doom's time machine is canonically the only one that doesn't create paradoxes or alternate timelines

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Weapon X continues to be the most fun of all the books so far, I'm not sure why I'm digging it so much but I like the team dynamic and the overarching story. It also gave a much needed shot in the arm to The Totally Awesome Hulk, which has been meandering a bit until the crossover.

I'm also shocked at how much I'm enjoying Jean Grey, even though it's mainly a travelogue book where each issue she gets a life/combat lesson from a different hero. I just wonder if the big Phoenix confrontation is ever going to happen in this book or if it's being saved for the main X-Men Blue book or some event thing. It's still fun, but it feels like the book is building to something that will never happen in its own pages.

Generation X is disappointingly blah, but the last issue was a nice little one-shot story about the eyeball kid. It looks like future issues have more Monet and Husk, so maybe it can pick up some momentum that way. I'm glad Monet being turned into Emplate is being continued instead of just forgotten about, as no one was really reading Uncanny at the end there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was really happy to see Illyana back in this Gold, and then she gets punked instantly.