Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Mordiceius posted:

I want them to take the pvp single button combos and apply them to the game at large.

Maybe next expansion if they add a lot of new abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

mouseovers in this game are rear end

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

RME posted:

mouseovers in this game are rear end

macros, really.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

IcePhoenix posted:

The problem with DRG is that it has a higher skill cap.

DRG needs a serious examination from the core mechanics up, Dragon's Eye is but ONE of the problems.

The reward for being a good DRG is amazing, but being a good DRG is hard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

100% honestly:

I feel like "PVP combos" should be a menu option and just get it over with. Let people set the separate combo for themselves if they want and let them use the PVP combo if they want. I don't see any huge reason it needs to be either/or.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I for one would love for PVP combos to become a thing in the rest of the game, because I am the terrible sort of player that gets flustered by mechanics and drops his combo. On DRK, a job with a rotation an actual monkey could execute.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Even if you're not terrible, cast sequence macros (which is what PvP one-button combos are) help against ability clutter on your bars.

Oh I'm sorry obviously I mean it would make people boot you from Sastasha if you're not using them so they're bad and wrong and we can't have nice things.

orcane fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 8, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I was watching the End of an Era cinematic and I notice that the Warrior's companions are a Bard, Black Mage, Paladin, and White Mage -- just like the Warriors of Darkness. I'm not sure if this is set up anywhere else in the pre-EoaE game but it's a nice touch that the WoD called back to that.

Wait -- are these supposed to actually be what would become the Warriors of Darkness?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I want them to remove that from PVP

:getout:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Leal posted:

Trash positionals imho
:agreed:

They basically add nothing beyond hassle, especially as bosses continue to get more complex about positioning needs. Maybe keep a handful for class flavor purposes (like trick attack, lol NIN) but just get rid of the rest.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Asimo posted:

:agreed:

They basically add nothing beyond hassle, especially as bosses continue to get more complex about positioning needs. Maybe keep a handful for class flavor purposes (like trick attack, lol NIN) but just get rid of the rest.

What would you do about MNK?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I was watching the End of an Era cinematic and I notice that the Warrior's companions are a Bard, Black Mage, Paladin, and White Mage -- just like the Warriors of Darkness. I'm not sure if this is set up anywhere else in the pre-EoaE game but it's a nice touch that the WoD called back to that.

Wait -- are these supposed to actually be what would become the Warriors of Darkness?
Its the same crew that appears in the 1.0 and ARR intros, before the WoD stuff they were just the generic self insert party. I don't think the warriors of darkness are supposed to be literally the same people from the FMVs, but using their appearance is meant to evoke familiarity and a sense that these people have basically had the same experiences that you have had.

Its kind of like how Firona Vie was on the cover of every Everquest expansion doing placeholder adventurer poo poo while also being a distinct character in the game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Positionals are just engaging enough to make me pay attention even when the boss isn't actively doing mechanics. The minigame of "do I have enough time to hit my positional here before oink goes off? Will it last long enough I should use true north?" with minor variations every time because of minor differences in uptime means that you're always actually playing your class in addition to playing the boss. Taking away positionals would be like making all blm spells instant cast.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Eopia posted:

You are repeatedly given dialogue options to characterize the WoL as exactly what Zenos thinks you are.

I like how Destiny has internalized the reality that its PCs are all loot crazed immortals doing stunt flips on speeder bikes while the Very Serious Bad Guys try to take over the world

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

What would you do about MNK?
... Kill their positionals too? :confused: They already have the most elaborate and interesting combo system in the game, they shouldn't have to keep dancing left and right all the while to make use of it too.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Argas posted:

Maybe next expansion if they add a lot of new abilities.

I'm a newbie but GuildWars2 has way less abilities on a hotbar than FF14 (10, 14 if you count the supplementary abilities like the pet hotbar, depends on the class) and for the main combos they just default straight to being three attacks on one button. In fact it goes the extra mile and you can even set the 1-key to be auto-recast since it basically is your autoattack.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Positionals are good

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Asimo posted:

... Kill their positionals too? :confused: They already have the most elaborate and interesting combo system in the game, they shouldn't have to keep dancing left and right all the while to make use of it too.

Dragon Kick -> Twin Snakes into Bootshine -> True Strike, while putting up Demolish every third cycle over Snap Punch is not all that elaborate or involved to me.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Positionals would be fine if bosses didn't constantly spin around to do gimmicks and then spin back to the MT. Catastrophe is a huge pain in the rear end for this. I understand that it's meant to be a similar tax to casters having to stop casting to move out of orange garbage, but whoops!! The good caster jobs don't even have to do that anymore.

edit: also if you gently caress up a positional it should show up in grey text and play a sad trombone to condition pubbies to actually do them

Bleu fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 8, 2017

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Requiring positionals to combo correctly sucked but it probably taught people to do them better than now. I'm not actually sure if I whiff conditionals on my alt Monk because outside of checking ACT it "doesn't matter".

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I like positionals and all but I would me over the moon to have a UI setting that made the circle around targets on top of all spell effects and a colour of my choosing. I love spell effects but I honestly can't see well. It's a problem.

If that setting exists, please tell me about it.

^ also seriouslyl it would be nice if there were an easy way to know if I hit positionals correctly because I sure as hell can't catch on to those scrolling combat numbers either.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bleu posted:

edit: also if you gently caress up a positional it should show up in grey text and play a sad trombone to condition pubbies to actually do them

I'd like this because I have no idea when I actually hit my positionals in situations where I'm doing something tricky with them. If I had feedback that I failed it I'd actually be able to learn how to do the hard ones better.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

I'm on vacation in some place called Europe (sp?) but I just want to chime in and say every final fantasy game is still the worst.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
WHILE we're talking about MNK and positionals and jazz, I've got a question about clipping buffs. As a monk, should I be refreshing Dragon Kick before or after the debuff drops off the enemy? At the moment I'm doing Dragon Kick combo, Bootshine combo, Dragon Kick combo. If I do DK, BSx2, DK then the second DK is hitting the enemy after the debuff has dropped off, BUT I get a second bootshine in during the debuff window. Which of these is the higher dps?

I'd also like to ask the exact same question but for Twin Snakes - should Twin Snakes hit while the buff is still up, or after it drops off?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

bewilderment posted:

I'm a newbie but GuildWars2 has way less abilities on a hotbar than FF14 (10, 14 if you count the supplementary abilities like the pet hotbar, depends on the class) and for the main combos they just default straight to being three attacks on one button. In fact it goes the extra mile and you can even set the 1-key to be auto-recast since it basically is your autoattack.

GW2 is also built around having a limited amount of abilities available to use and giving the player a degree of freedom (to screw up) by letting them choose which abilities to slot in. And IIRC most of those 1-key abilities are default autocast because they are autoattacks.

Simple answer right now for why PVE doesn't see something like PVP's combos on one key is that the devs want players to have more buttons to push. In their push to revamp PVP to make it more accessible, they didn't want to burden players new and old with learning how to play at level 70 no matter what level you entered PVP at. They trimmed down the number of different buttons you had to push (I think everyone basically has 10 buttons they can push besides your two PVP abilities) and altered things accordingly. I haven't played every job in PVP yet but BLM is this radically different beast though there's some similarities with its PVE counterpart. RDM is a lot more similar to its PVE playstyle but is still dramatically trimmed down.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Argas posted:

GW2 is also built around having a limited amount of abilities available to use and giving the player a degree of freedom (to screw up) by letting them choose which abilities to slot in. And IIRC most of those 1-key abilities are default autocast because they are autoattacks.

Simple answer right now for why PVE doesn't see something like PVP's combos on one key is that the devs want players to have more buttons to push. In their push to revamp PVP to make it more accessible, they didn't want to burden players new and old with learning how to play at level 70 no matter what level you entered PVP at. They trimmed down the number of different buttons you had to push (I think everyone basically has 10 buttons they can push besides your two PVP abilities) and altered things accordingly. I haven't played every job in PVP yet but BLM is this radically different beast though there's some similarities with its PVE counterpart. RDM is a lot more similar to its PVE playstyle but is still dramatically trimmed down.

Yeah, but at a certain point there are just too many goddamn buttons. There's not really a good reason for PLD to have six buttons over three combos, is there?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

If PLD's melee combos were somehow unified into one button or even into two I'd probably fall asleep playing the loving thing.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Fridurmus posted:

Yeah, but at a certain point there are just too many goddamn buttons. There's not really a good reason for PLD to have six buttons over three combos, is there?

Their aim with SB was to not alter the total number of buttons for you to push by trimming down existing stuff so that at 70, you'd have around the same amount as 60 in HW. If they continue adding more abilities, they'll have to compress it at some point.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Is SE just allergic to MCH or what

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't particularly care what their aim is if it's garbage. There were too many buttons to push. There still are and continue to be too many buttons to push, and giving PvE combo buttons or cast sequence macros would solve some of that.

Except you're still pushing buttons, it's just on the same key. It creates this fake complexity someone wrote about pages ago. It also doesn't take away much "skill" (oh no some people are going to gently caress up their combos less!) and leaves all the decision making to the player if done right*, since you can always push a different combo or ability to abort your one-button combo.

*) I can see FF14's cargo cult development style leading to another less than optimal solution where some people are going to miss the option to push combos out of order or reset to step one without spending a GCD on another button in PvE.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Xarbala posted:

I think they just have literally no idea what to do with it. Or how to play it for that matter, which is part of why players are confused about the class too.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Xarbala posted:

I don't think anyone on the dev team is a MCH main, is the problem.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Those MCH changes are...what the hell. They really need a full revamp like AST got partway through the last expansion. Two totally useless skills and a confusing mechanic. They could do well by removing the random chances on your basic rotation for one thing. And making flamethrow actually useful. Heck, I'm not even sure how it works, but if it ticks every second that's a base 600 potency, which is outdone by your normal rotation if your heat gauge is over 50 so....what?

It sucks, I just got MCH to 70 too, because the animations are spot on.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well, the devs did admit that they could only do some number changes this time and more sweeping changes would be in 4.1. I suspect this is why the SMN tweaks are so hilariously bad, since the class needs to be revamped from the top down. But the MCH changes are... well, I'm not sure they really help the damage overall, but it does make the overall playstyle of the class clearer. It seems aimed to be on a 60-second cycle where you flamethrowerto overheat for that now-20% damage boost during wildfire, and moving hot shot to a once per wildfire cycle to make it easier to focus on managing the heat gauge. Reducing dismantle's cooldown also helps improve their group utility a bit.

The problem is it's just a band-aid on the class that doesn't actually make it competitive. But it probably does give a hint of where they'll be going in the bigger changes in 4.1, maybe? :shrug: I'm really hoping it gets good soon since I really love the animations and themes of the class, but in the meanwhile I've gone and mained RDM and it's gonna be real hard to give that up.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

Those MCH changes are...what the hell. They really need a full revamp like AST got partway through the last expansion. Two totally useless skills and a confusing mechanic. They could do well by removing the random chances on your basic rotation for one thing. And making flamethrow actually useful. Heck, I'm not even sure how it works, but if it ticks every second that's a base 600 potency, which is outdone by your normal rotation if your heat gauge is over 50 so....what?

It sucks, I just got MCH to 70 too, because the animations are spot on.

Flamethrower should be used for one of three things:

- getting into overheat right the gently caress now because your Wildfire rotation is ready
- clipping the end of your overheat buff to wait out the 10 second timer with some extra damage (which is nicer now that overheat is +20%)
- spraying flames all over everyone in town

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

you forgot "awesome /gpose screenshots"

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Asimo posted:

I suspect this is why the SMN tweaks are so hilariously bad

It increases their dps by ~4.5%. Personal dps should be above red mage now.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

doesn't stop summoner from being a permanently dead party member if they die even once

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Hiding in the bushes and spying on ladies at the beach is one of the Moonfaire quests

10/10 best event quest in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VHGS posted:

It increases their dps by ~4.5%. Personal dps should be above red mage now.

SMN seems to put out good dps on fflogs but it just plays so awkwardly with its 2 minute windup..