Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

Well I gotta spend $15 to get a title transfer to get rid of it but $300 for the PT will make it worthwhile.

Eh, it's $300 you didn't have (well, $285, I guess), and you got a few miles out of it. And possibly a learning experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

beep-beep car is go posted:

we went fruit picking.

My friend, a legit Mexican, loves seeing white people play Mexican. The first time we drove by a "pick your own fruit" field here stuffed with middle-aged white people, he tapped my shoulder and pointed with the largest grin ever. It was beautiful. :3:

The same guy also won't go camping, because "What's wrong with you guys? Why would you willingly pay money to play homeless?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

Eh, it's $300 you didn't have (well, $285, I guess), and you got a few miles out of it. And possibly a learning experience.

I refuse to learn any lessons.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

keykey posted:

My friend, a legit Mexican, loves seeing white people play Mexican. The first time we drove by a "pick your own fruit" field here stuffed with middle-aged white people, he tapped my shoulder and pointed with the largest grin ever. It was beautiful. :3:

The same guy also won't go camping, because "What's wrong with you guys? Why would you willingly pay money to play homeless?"

I totally get that (and part of the reason why I don't like camping - my wife goes "we invented houses for a reason.") but the fruit picking has two benefits:

1. I can let my 3 yr old run around and tire herself out (hah)
2. the per pound price is usually quite a bit cheaper than the store price so when I need 10 lbs of blueberries to make a mess of jam, it's cheaper than giving Price Chopper all my money.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
car camping is lame but backpacking is v good

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

BraveUlysses posted:

That's a lot of work. I'm content to get catch a buzz on the edge of the wilderness, tyvm.

I spent all weekend scouring the internet for that stupid little screen. No good. Nobody has any idea where I could source them, so I get to buy the $200 assembly. Knowing my luck, Google or Amazon will start suggesting the thing I needed for a nickle about two minutes after I bolt the new assembly in.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Hey so you guys love STANCE NATION

https://www.japancardirect.com/car-news/japanese-cars-extreme-camber/

I had no idea that in Japan a big part of it was dealing with passing their bi-annual inspections by the Japanese government.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

quote:

...extreme amounts of Extreme Camber.

I love it.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

BraveUlysses posted:

Both are great. I've done a bit of car camping lately even though it's the middle of winter. Turns out I can deal with -7C no problem! Sometimes it's nice just to get away to a scenic spot, throw up a tent and have a fire, steak and beers with your mates.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I took an uber out to a buddy's house today to see a couple of the new things that have accumulated in his garage since I saw him last summer

he wasn't sure if he's going to keep this one since it's hot as hell to ride in and the seats aren't what one would call luxurious, but it sounds pretty nice and we definitely got lots of looks

This is going to be his daily driver for the summer

Not sure if the white one is worth the effort to bring it cosmetically up to snuff but it apparently tears rear end, and he might put that motor into this red one instead

I'm going to head out to his shop on thursday and see the rest of his collection that's a little further along in the restoration department, he also just got (at auction, at a insane steal of a price) a 2008 Audi S8 with the Lambo V10 in it he wants to show me. I'm curious to see how that goes compared to the S65.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So uh... my apartment sent out notices a few months ago that they would be doing "exterior renovations", and said that they may include "patio and balcony repairs".

Woke up to hammering and a lot of swearing. When I left for work, I found this downstairs.

:stare:

Someone threw a rave in the parking lot of the gun store down the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW-124rQSjw

Rhyno posted:

I refuse to learn any lessons.

Well I mean you drove a free car for a few months before it failed, and still made a little bit of money off of it. I'd call that a win.

... even if it was a FreeT.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Okay, I need help to make something easy.

I'm looking for a couple wireless outdoor cameras. There's plenty on Amazon, but the cheaper ones I'm looking at get their power through a standard USB connection. This is a lovely way of doing things, because I'd need to drill a 3/4" hole in the side of the house to run the cord.

Is there anything commercially available that would be something like a USB-to-stereo mini plug? It'd need to be USB-to-mini female, then another USB-to-mini male, then I could get it done with a 3/8" hole in the house.

(I don't really want to take any time looking at USB pinouts to make my own, or cut/splice)

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Someone threw a rave in the parking lot of the gun store down the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW-124rQSjw

Never should've given The Cheat that damned lightswitch...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Why not use POE cameras, running the cable to a cheap wifi adaptor somewhere? Standard network cable, easy to run and terminate.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Seminal Flu posted:

Okay, I need help to make something easy.

I'm looking for a couple wireless outdoor cameras. There's plenty on Amazon, but the cheaper ones I'm looking at get their power through a standard USB connection. This is a lovely way of doing things, because I'd need to drill a 3/4" hole in the side of the house to run the cord.

Is there anything commercially available that would be something like a USB-to-stereo mini plug? It'd need to be USB-to-mini female, then another USB-to-mini male, then I could get it done with a 3/8" hole in the house.

(I don't really want to take any time looking at USB pinouts to make my own, or cut/splice)

Sounds like you're making it hard, in fact. USB plugs aren't that big. Right around 1/2" from a cursory googling. And at that point, 3/8" vs 1/2", who cares?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Micro USB Female to USB Male Adapter

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I threw down the extra coin and went with arlo plus cameras and they're pretty good. they are wireless and the batteries last 3 months between recharges.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

BraveUlysses posted:

I love backpacking. Though when I'm on vacation out west I almost always car camp on BLM land. I did a week long road trip two years ago from Denver to Moab in a big 2k mile + loop and spent a grand total of $150 on lodging and $100 of it was a hotel in Denver the night before I flew out so I could clean and pack my gear nicely.

Went to SanDiego for work February this year and took an extra few days to backpack and car camp around Yosemite and the PCT. it was a beautiful and very cold time.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The number of suburban crawling land cruisers that have snorkels installed on them makes me v. cross

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That is a beautiful cat

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Larrymer posted:

Sounds like you're making it hard, in fact. USB plugs aren't that big. Right around 1/2" from a cursory googling. And at that point, 3/8" vs 1/2", who cares?

It's going through masonry, I'll go as small as I can!

spog posted:

Micro USB Female to USB Male Adapter

I like this idea!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
$2k USD (eqv) W124 S500, what could go wrong? I'm still tempted to buy one and just drive it into the ground. Sadly, I'm assuming a lot of poo poo that breaks are show stoppers.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

$2k USD (eqv) W124 S500, what could go wrong? I'm still tempted to buy one and just drive it into the ground. Sadly, I'm assuming a lot of poo poo that breaks are show stoppers.

What year? I think the biodegradable wiring harness started in 1994-1995. And I thought the w124 was the e class.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
W124 is E. W140 is S. Biodegradable wiring starts in 92ish and extends into the mid-late 90s. Motronic variants will be fine. HFM not so much. EZ way to tell is to look at the production date on the ETA. If it's original, welp. Body harnesses will degrade too, but not as often as I've seen engine harnesses. Pop the clips on the plastic loom and have a peek under it. Look at where wires go into sensor plugs.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
It is, I'm a stupid butt brain fart man, as my goddaughter puts it. Should be a W140, and it's a 1992 bio-degradable one. The wiring harness decomposing sounds like fun times.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pull the kickpanels and sill plates and have a look at the loom. there's one on both sides of the car. I've seen a W140 in the yards that had a good amount of the body harness replaced with speaker wire, it was horrors abound.

E: 92' M119 would be LH injection with EZL ignition, not Motronic/HFM like the m104 of the same time.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 8, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I gotta admit those are nice looking cars, and if I had the space I would be tempted by the cheap ones too.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

:rip: Glen Campbell. Alzheimers takes another. loving awful disease :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

Why not use POE cameras, running the cable to a cheap wifi adaptor somewhere? Standard network cable, easy to run and terminate.

Yeah this is the solution I would seek. I'm generally a fan of Ubiquiti gear (like just about everyone else on this forum, apparently), although I haven't used their cameras.

An unterminated cat5/5e/6 cable is going to be a nice and small solution, and if you are handy you probably already have a crimper to stick an end on there. You can even make the install look nicer by installing a nice wallplate keystone jack on the inside, instead of just having a caulked up hole in the wall.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You Am I posted:

Glen Campell did one of the best Christmas albums ever. Yes I like Christmas music during Christmas don't judge me.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

You Am I posted:

They're speculating that it's from lead exposure but they haven't done enough research to prove it's true

It makes sense to me tho

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its ok lecia, I have an entire album of modern rock covers and original christmas songs that gets a ton of playtime in december.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have been around Mr. Campbell a handful of times these last 2 years and while there have been great moments of clarity it has been a very rough time. Please watch the last documentary on him if you get a chance.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

They're speculating that it's from lead exposure but they haven't done enough research to prove it's true

It makes sense to me tho

It's a crap shoot with Alzheimers. My dad has it, but he has three older brothers who don't. It's loving horrible, just seeing my father slowly falling away and being unable to stop it happening.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Brokebackbangbus is no more. Sold it to another goon.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Anyone broke into a ls430 before? Keys ended up locked in the trunk and the spare keys are 6 hours away. I would call AAA, but they would probably just wedge the door and I don't want it to get hosed up. I have wedges and lots of tools, I just don't want to gently caress up the weather stripping or the frame of the door. At least we are at my parents house, so we have extra vehicles and everything. I just mostly want my mouth guard, I am so used to sleeping with that thing I don't know if I can even sleep without it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cursedshitbox posted:

Brokebackbangbus is no more. Sold it to another goon.

We need to know who like, now.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

You Am I posted:

It's a crap shoot with Alzheimers. My dad has it, but he has three older brothers who don't. It's loving horrible, just seeing my father slowly falling away and being unable to stop it happening.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slurry_curry posted:

Anyone broke into a ls430 before? Keys ended up locked in the trunk and the spare keys are 6 hours away. I would call AAA, but they would probably just wedge the door and I don't want it to get hosed up. I have wedges and lots of tools, I just don't want to gently caress up the weather stripping or the frame of the door. At least we are at my parents house, so we have extra vehicles and everything. I just mostly want my mouth guard, I am so used to sleeping with that thing I don't know if I can even sleep without it.

Seems now everyone uses the inflatable bladders to wedge the doors. Used on my SIL new Range Rover it didn't hurt anything.

• Locked thread