Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The bigger issue is that Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye is the human equivalent of wallpaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's not that there can't be a Hawkeye movie, it's that there can't be a Hawkguy movie. Hawkguy is a fuckup, and AoU Hawkeye has got his poo poo together and is a more well-adjusted person than almost all of the Avengers.

Easy enough. Either have him get a divorce or he has to lay low away from his family in NY.

And Renner hasn't had much to work with, unfortunately. He's had a few moments like the speech in AoU, but Civil War was much closer to his comic counterpart. Especially how he needled Stark.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought his exchange with Wanda in both her appearances were pretty great, and very evocative of this character's potential.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Tearing the family man's family apart" is such a typical way to take it. They definitely shouldn't go that route.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

TFRazorsaw posted:

"Tearing the family man's family apart" is such a typical way to take it. They definitely shouldn't go that route.

Make a movie where Hawkeye is reassigned to a new location, and have the movie be about his family adjusting to the change. His kids going to a new school, he and his wife making new friends, getting the house in order, etc

Make it a straight-up family movie that has no comic book antics at all. Except for one scene, where the Avengers arrive for a housewarming.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No, make it a family movie with comic book antics, like how Spider-man Homecoming is a superhero version of a John Hughes movie.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The movie should just be about Hawkeye going through an average day as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, not learning any valuable life lessons or coming to any sudden revelations.

The climatic line should be: "I didn't learn anything. I love my wife!" and then he kills the bad guy with his fingernail or something.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Bring Taika Waititi back to direct and make it a mockumentary like the "Team Thor" shorts

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Nah. Have it be him picking up camping supplies at the mall, for the kids, and while he is looking over sleeping bag, terrorists take over rhe mall! He has to use lovely cheap mass produced bow and arrows to save his family.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

along the way he has to get the toy his youngest child wants for christmas.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I like Renner's Hawkeye off of the strength of the scene where he gets Loki with the exploding arrow in Avengers and all of his scenes with Wanda.

Samuringa posted:

Chalk that up on the "Bad"

Even Whedon hated that bit, didn't he?

Movie got too ambitious. They wanted to also finally get the Infinity Stone thing moving since none of our main characters really had much of an idea of what was going on. Or that a mean purple guy was going to come and throw a moon at them. I won't defend it, but it does happen in the movie, and it does explain what happens further in the movie.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SonicRulez posted:

I like Renner's Hawkeye off of the strength of the scene where he gets Loki with the exploding arrow in Avengers and all of his scenes with Wanda.

Renner's Hawkeye is basically in the same position Johannson's Black Widow was in prior to the benefit of Winter Soldier basically giving her more screen time and good character moments than I think she's had in the rest of her Marvel movie appearances combined. There's potential there with the right director and script, but it's so far mostly unexplored.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

What.

What's dumb about their animosity towards Tony? Iron Man 1 was him going "Man, the weapons I develop are probably really bad for the poor saps that live in those war-torn countries." Then Wanda and Pietro are like "Hey, we live in a war-torn country." That's a solid callback.

Yes, that's why all those people in war torn countries hate Lockheed Martin and Boeing, and not the actual people in command that fire them. That sure makes perfect sense. Also, and I may be talking out of my rear end here, but I don't really think most companies actually put their logo on their bombs and missiles. The fact that Stark does is either making a pretty dark statement about Tony or is a pretty dumb oversight. It is, much like the rest of the movie, hamfisted.

SonicRulez posted:

I feel like Hawkeye's arrows explode or release electricity or some other fantasy poo poo. He was hardly out there with wood, mate. You're very reductive in your analysis and it doesn't serve your point much. It's not just a fancy shield so much as made of literally the strongest things they have in that universe.

Black widow uses normal guns against them, and they work just fine. And it's not really relevant that his arrows are tipped with unobtanium, it's that a guy with a bow and some lovely arrows would actually be a threat to robots built with Iron man tech. It's dumb. Like Batman throwing exploding batarangs at enemies dumb.
And you are missing the point, which is that this big scary guy is being stopped by one of the lesser impressive people in the avengers. It'd be like if if Lando managed to fight and hold off Darth Vader in ESB. Or Batman fighting off Doomsday(maybe with a giant axe or something). Yeah, you can make up all sorts of reasons why such a scenario might work, but the end result is that you undercut the threat of the bad guy. I mean, i'm not saying you can't make it work. but Whedon did not. At all. The drones of Ultron are about as menacing as putties, and Ultron himself is slightly more threatening than Dr Claw. There's no suspense or tension.

SonicRulez posted:

Thor's intervention wasn't all that nonsensical to me. A discussion wasn't getting anywhere, so a 3rd party intervened. Thor had magic visions of the future, so he knew he was right. It plays pretty directly into Civil War. Turns out our Avengers might not always like each other. I think the point is meant to be that making a mistake should not keep you from continuing to try. Tony built a robot and it went bad. That shouldn't mean he's never allowed to build another robot. It should mean he practices caution and critical thinking before impulsively making decisions is Cap's POV I believe. And Wanda backs him up with the assertion that Tony might be so hellbent on saving everything that he's gonna end up breaking everything. More Civil War.

So it was a dumb plot point just for the sake of setting up a future movie. That's kinda the problem. It wasn't there to serve the movie, it was there to serve sequels. There's something about that scene that's again, hamfisted, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's that the movie proves Stark is right and makes Cap look like a chump, even though logically Stark was loving insane to try to do the same god drat thing again a second time and thinking it would work. Maybe it's because it is such an inelegant way to introduce vision.

In fact, that's the perfect way to describe this movie. Clumsy and hamfisted.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The bigger issue is that Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye is the human equivalent of wallpaper.

Actually, that is probably the one thing I liked about A2. It gave Hawkguy a personality. I mean sure, it was a wisecracking Xander with a bow, and sure, it contradicted all his other movie appearances, but at least he stood out a bit!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Stark's missiles having his name printed on them is from all the way back in the first Iron Man film. AoU including that detail is the opposite of an oversight.

I feel like you're arguing more against the very concept of the Clint Barton character and less against the film he appears in. The suspension of belief we're asked to make of the character is that A) his arrows are Comic Book Magic, and B) he's so good at this one single thing he's so good at that he's able to be useful on this team if not outright keep pace with all the others. Once you get past that hurdle, he's no more or less out of place than someone like Black Widow or Falcon.

McCloud posted:

Actually, that is probably the one thing I liked about A2. It gave Hawkguy a personality. I mean sure, it was a wisecracking Xander with a bow, and sure, it contradicted all his other movie appearances, but at least he stood out a bit!
...You mean the one movie appearance where he was a half-minute cameo and the other one where he was brainwashed for most of his screentime?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

7/10 is not a good movie.

BiggerBoat posted:

If I give a movie a 7/10 it means I generally liked it well enough and didn't think it sucked but I'm not gonna argue about it.

That isn't how Rotten Tomatoes works.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is a pretty big issue, yeah. Then again that's kind of perfect since he's based on Ultimate Hawkeye, who's about 1/10th as interesting as regular Hawkeye.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 8, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

McCloud posted:

Yes, that's why all those people in war torn countries hate Lockheed Martin and Boeing, and not the actual people in command that fire them. That sure makes perfect sense. Also, and I may be talking out of my rear end here, but I don't really think most companies actually put their logo on their bombs and missiles. The fact that Stark does is either making a pretty dark statement about Tony or is a pretty dumb oversight. It is, much like the rest of the movie, hamfisted.

I mean, probably the single biggest unbroken throughline running across the entirety of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is that Tony Stark is an egotist of unbridled proportions and the living personification of the bad idea. Him plastering his weapons with his logos is actually perfectly in keeping with the character. Why do people in other countries hate Tony Stark? Because the head of Lockheed Martin doesn't strap himself into a billion dollar suit of highly weaponized armor and go galivanting around the world like Team America World Police after giving speeches about successfully privatizing world peace. Tony Stark has done everything in his power to shove himself into the spotlight of the world like the biggest, ugliest manifestation of the American military-industrial complex crossed with runaway futurist tech worship ever known.

quote:

Could you please explain to the rest of the class what movie Hawkeye's personality was prior to Age of Ultron? Like I'm genuinely curious to hear how you can contradict something that's nonexistent.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I like movie Hawkeye. We got to eee how dangerous he is while mind controlled, he's a family man, and he's a good soldier to the characters he aligns himself with.

I also admit that "supporting archer" describes me in any MMO I've ever tried, and a couple D&D characters. .

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

McCloud posted:

I dunno, he was pretty wise-cracking in his cameo in the first Thor. "Do you want me to take him down, or would you rather send in more guys for him to beat up?"

And as others have pointed out, he was brainwashed during the majority of Avengers. So I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McCloud posted:

It is, but it's also right out of Iron Man 1.

That's what causes Tony to have his change of heart, he sees his logo on the weapons in Afghanistan or Iraq or wherever it is he's captured.

Lurdiak posted:

That isn't how Rotten Tomatoes works.

Rottentomatoes also shows a Metacritic-like aggregate, and it's 6.7/10 which we are all rounding up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Director of Shazam tweeted out this page of the script
https://twitter.com/ponysmasher/status/894279304749522944

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

McCloud posted:

And the stupid "This is what Shield is supposed to be!" bit was also nonsensical drivel.

I hated this too because it pretty much negates the overall message of Cap 2 where Steven even says that Shield as an institution is corrupt to its core.

Then again Whedon also kind of ignored the message of Thor 1 as well in the first Avengers movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

I hated this too because it pretty much negates the overall message of Cap 2 where Steven even says that Shield as an institution is corrupt to its core.

It seems like a direct follow-up to that statement?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

TFRazorsaw posted:

along the way he has to get the toy his youngest child wants for christmas.

And he has to dress up as Cap to deliver it.

Actually, if they didn't do the serious nature of Civil War so much, I kind of would have liked them to do a bit where Tony, in a brilliant move has tried to market and brand the Avengers and has come with an action figure line. Cap doesn't like it because he sees it as selling out and undermining what they should be about (Saving people). Tony argues that selling this merch is helping to fund all their incomes now that SHIELD is defunct, and even heroes need to eat. Meanwhile Hawkeye is upset because his figures sell the worst. In one of the climactic battles, Iron Man crashes into a crate, and it is overflowing with unsold Hawkeye figures.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/EvangelineLilly/status/894335292232146944

Evangeline lookin jacked

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

She's always been pretty fit, even on Lost.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

zoux posted:

Director of Shazam tweeted out this page of the script
https://twitter.com/ponysmasher/status/894279304749522944

I'd watch the poo poo out of that movie.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

why'd they give an actual fit woman a hero like wasp

Couldn't they give her someone who like, punches folk

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Maybe wasp punches people in this movie

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Zzulu posted:

why'd they give an actual fit woman a hero like wasp

Couldn't they give her someone who like, punches folk

Why can't Wasp punch people?

She punched Scott repeatedly already.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if there's been an action movie where the lead either couldn't or just flat-out refused to get in shape for it.

I remember reading how Matthew Vaughan refused to cast Firth in Kingsman until Firth had gone away for six months, done the training and proved he could handle the action scenes.

And later on I heard that Firth thought having to do it was miserable and was reluctant to come back for the second one because didn't fancy the idea of having to do more training.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Does the Joker's moustache count?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My friend let me introduce you to the film career of Steven Segal

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Does Brando in Apocalypse Now count? He might not have been the lead, but he was certainly a lead.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Sockser posted:

Does the Joker's moustache count?

No heretic

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder if there's been an action movie where the lead either couldn't or just flat-out refused to get in shape for it.

I remember reading how Matthew Vaughan refused to cast Firth in Kingsman until Firth had gone away for six months, done the training and proved he could handle the action scenes.

And later on I heard that Firth thought having to do it was miserable and was reluctant to come back for the second one because didn't fancy the idea of having to do more training.

The main guy in 300 was really lazy about the training and a major headache for the stunt guys apparently, hated being told what to do.

Then he did a movie where all the physical conditioning he needed was handling being in a scene with Katherine Heigl.

edit: Oh! and Ock in Sp2 in the special features repeatedly went on about leaving the stunts to the stuntmen, and very obviously hating to do anything physical. He was funny and charming about it tho.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

John Rhys-Davies apparently couldn't be arsed to do much of anything prep work as Gimli, including learning the fights, which is super lovely. He didn't even go along with the Fellowship to get their group tattoos.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
We disagree fundamentally if you think Captain America is one of the less impressive Avengers. Or that he's on a tier with Lando. You are aware that Cap has super powers, right? Not Batman's peak human condition either. Legitimate super powers.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Hawkeye tried golf and got 18 hole-in-ones, that's more impressive than anything Cap's done imo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As demonstrated on screen he is literally more powerful than a helicopter and faster than a speeding car. Able to leap small buildings in a couple bounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

Hawkeye tried golf and got 18 hole-in-ones, that's more impressive than anything Cap's done imo.

The Hawkeye movie should be him traveling the world going to mini-golf places and making impossible trick shots.

• Locked thread