Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
A friend got Millenium Blades and we're playing it Saturday. Might include some expansion stuff. Anything I should know ahead of time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Mister Sinewave posted:

As soon as it turns into WHEN I SAY I MEAN then :byewhore:

I've never played with anyone who explicitly tried to dictate a clue pattern to the players. That's not to say that playing with the same players a lot won't give people the chance to develop recognizable patterns, but that's a bit different than what people here seem to be saying people do. And even for as much as I've played with many of the same people, my best games have been 24 points. And I genuinely don't feel that there's any foul play, intentional or otherwise, influencing that.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Krazyface posted:

A friend got Millenium Blades and we're playing it Saturday. Might include some expansion stuff. Anything I should know ahead of time?

Don't neglect your collection, it's a big source of VP. The mono-Ducky deck looks neat but will not get you there, don't bother. Try to cater to the meta if possible but don't wreck your deck for it.

Also, there's a bit of a Rock Paper Scissors in terms of archetypes--you can build very aggressive decks that tries to flip everyone else's cards and ruin their combos while getting just barely enough points to win, which loses to resilient midrangey decks that build up points throughout the tournament, which in turn lose to the score effect combo-ing exodus decks (especially the one built around not-Exodia).

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Krazyface posted:

I just got it so my observations: As the host Read the FAQ and try and understand the card timing interactions. Then play a couple of tournaments head to head with the starter decks just so how you can see how it works.

The 2nd thing would be to piecemeal out the rules explanation - just explain how the pre release tournament works, and tell them you'll explain how the the rest of the game works when it finishes.

To help people in the building phase they need to have a simple heuristic to avoid flooding themselves with to much information. Tell people that the best way to build a deck when you are starting out is spend all your cash buying cards, then pick a deck box to build around.

That will generally give you a fast way to focus.

Oh tell people that they cannot lose sight of collections if they want to win. Collections represent like 40% of available VP, so they need to turn in a collection if they want to have a hope.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Merauder posted:

I've never played with anyone who explicitly tried to dictate a clue pattern to the players. That's not to say that playing with the same players a lot won't give people the chance to develop recognizable patterns, but that's a bit different than what people here seem to be saying people do. And even for as much as I've played with many of the same people, my best games have been 24 points. And I genuinely don't feel that there's any foul play, intentional or otherwise, influencing that.

It depends on the people, I find. Some people treat it as a meta game where you progressively determine what you should do whenever X over several games until you get something like that Board Game Arena chat log and if I wanted that I'd just get into playing Bridge.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

S.J. posted:

Sentinels biggest flaws are 1) it doesn't use keywords or symbols in it's on-card rules, 2) about half of the original cast and a couple expansion characters are awful in comparison to the rest of the cast (and a couple starting members are too good) 3) a number of bosses need to die a full two rounds earlier to be well paced, or kick off their gimmicks faster 4) way too much reliance on +1/-1 counters and having to go through individual card triggers once the board state gets busy enough. The location decks are okay, but too often don't interact with the board or force you to take them into consideration.

The game's not bad, but it needs tightened waayyyy up. I can see why people would rather play the app version. Almost everything that came out after the original core set was much more well designed, but it was still operating inside the same book keeping box. Despite all of that, I've really enjoyed playing it. We just do random setups on hard mode all the time.

Would explain why they're doing one final expansion before calling it. Guess they couldn't milk it further or something.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The first time a player was super pissed that I burned the last fuse by playing the "wrong" (but logically a 50/50) card and proceeded to inform all that FROM NOW ON X MEANS Y was when I felt a little dip in my enthusiasm for the game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mister Sinewave posted:

It depends on the people, I find. Some people treat it as a meta game where you progressively determine what you should do whenever X over several games until you get something like that Board Game Arena chat log and if I wanted that I'd just get into playing Bridge.

Yeah this is more what I'm talking about. I mean, the "oldest card gets discarded first" thing has definitely been said aloud with pretty much anyone I've played with (not by me), but most of it is intuiting that sort of stuff which just isn't a game I'm ultimately interested in playing. Maybe that sort of thing could be cool for a legacy-style game where you play with the same group and the game has regular shake-ups that force things to change, like each player being given a personal challenge ala Gloomhaven that changes how they'd signal things, but it feels too close to this weird "is it or isn't it cheating/''''''cheating'''''" thing for me to actually enjoy it anymore.

I loved Hanabi when I first started though and definitely got my money's worth since it's so cheap.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone else played Tiny Epic Quest?

I played a solo and a 2 player game and it felt pretty hollow to me. The only stressful moment was when I was rolling alone and was presumably safe, needing only one more goblin punch, but i rolled 4 mushrooms and killed myself. Other than that, i could complete most of what i set out to do each turn.

I am interested in exploring it more, especially with 3 players, but I still prefer Tiny Galaxies the most of the series.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Merauder posted:

For the anti-Hanabi-ites among us, have any of you played Bomb Squad or Beyond Baker Street? Both take the "can't see your own cards, give clues to your teammates" model from Hanabi and build upon it / expand it. I personally still love Hanabi for it's core simplicity, but see the appeal of the others. Curious what the different takes might be.

Beyond Baker Street somehow adds rules complexity while removing decision complexity and is overall a dud. Bomb Squad probably works with the right group, but has what I consider to be a significant flaw for a real time game - everyone can just take their turn as fast as possible, to clue the same person, then that person plays the indicated card; repeat. Unless I was explained the game wrong, there's nothing to stop you from doing this, so it's no longer a game of imperfect information, just a game of speed. Or maybe I wasn't playing in the spirit of the game.

For me, Hanabi hits the perfect balance. My group early on agreed not to discuss conventions outside of the game, so it was constantly about discovery and inductive reasoning. I do think there's more to explore with this style of game design though - there was a kickstarter game called Perspective that had some interesting ideas. It used double sided cards showing some combination of red/blue/green/yellow, but you only see the color of the side facing you, and the goal is to get the opposite side of your hand to match a pattern that you're given at the start. You can play competitively or as partners with the person sitting across from you. I didn't particularly enjoy the game, but the people I played with did, and I can see the appeal.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

kinkouin posted:

Would explain why they're doing one final expansion before calling it. Guess they couldn't milk it further or something.

I'd be on board with them doing a sequel series that just fixed the mechanical problems of the original game tbh

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

djfooboo posted:

I played a solo and a 2 player game and it felt pretty hollow to me. The only stressful moment was when I was rolling alone and was presumably safe, needing only one more goblin punch, but i rolled 4 mushrooms and killed myself. Other than that, i could complete most of what i set out to do each turn.

I am interested in exploring it more, especially with 3 players, but I still prefer Tiny Galaxies the most of the series.

Similar to my thoughts. Not the deepest game but an enjoyable package. I'd rank them Galaxies > Quest > Western > Kingdoms > Defenders.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
My wife and I really like to play Hanabi together and we just get pretend-mad at each other when we gently caress up. Since Hanabi doesn't really feel like a "you vs the game" co-op (as opposed to something like Pandemic where it really feels like there are high stakes and your short term mistakes can really add up), it's hard for us to really get emotional about mistakes and get actually angry with each other.

Plus we have the deluxe version and mahjong tiles just feel so nice to touch, how could we stay frustrated?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Tonight at the hobby shop I overheard a woman mentioning to her partner that she was still mad they made her play "that hard game with the monsters". Turns out she was talking about King of Tokyo. Yeesh.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
There are a lot of people whose board-game horizon ends at anything beyond "roll dice then move meeple". In my experience there is an overlap with people who never played a computer game.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Impermanent posted:

haha man you haven't really tash'd a kalar until you've summoned two legendaries on the same turn, or used the time elemental to score upwards of 6 points in one swing. it's one of the greatest 2 player abstracts on that alone.

I know this was ages ago... but I got off a crushing turn with time elemental -> Two legionaries and still ended up nearly losing the game. This game is awesome.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Hopper posted:

There are a lot of people whose board-game horizon ends at anything beyond "roll dice then move meeple". In my experience there is an overlap with people who never played a computer game.

I will never get tired of mentioning that absolutely no one out of the 20~ or so people I play games with has managed to understand Skull yet. They all deem it too complex.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

Azran posted:

I will never get tired of mentioning that absolutely no one out of the 20~ or so people I play games with has managed to understand Skull yet. They all deem it too complex.

Skull is such a weird one in that the rules aren't complex at all, but a lot of people don't see the point of the game, don't understand why you'd do what you do. The non-gamers that I've found it works best with are those that have played stuff like poker or other traditional card games. It's purely just bluffing and betting, and my Texas Hold 'Em playing friends grasped it immediately, and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Nobody else has had this reaction, though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hopper posted:

We made a game for incoming college students that was a drafting game even simpler than Sushi Go. You would think we had asked some of them to repair a Swiss watch.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

That's weird, Skull has always gone over well with people I play with, even people who aren't super into board/card games. It's always been a reliable hit for me. I guess I just hang out with the right people.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

homullus posted:

We made a game for incoming college students that was a drafting game even simpler than Sushi Go. You would think we had asked some of them to repair a Swiss watch.

I gave Sushi Go to some incoming college students last year! I'm doing it again this year, actually. They actually got it, but mind you the assignment was literally "figure out how this thing works and evaluate the quality of the instructions."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hopper posted:

I've had this problem repeatedly just trying to get folks to play Catan. Sometimes Munchkin too, if they've never run into an RPG before.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I managed to sell my family on Secret Hitler which went pretty well other than getting into a shouting match about the logic of some accusations with my brother which is kind of expected interaction with my brother and is also, I think, the sign of a good game of Secret Hitler.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I think it is due to the "dusty" image boardgames have. In Germany in the 80ies/90ies most kids, myself included, had to endure Monopoly, Snakes and Ladders and the epitome of 80ies family board gaming, Mensch ärgere dich nicht. I hated board gaming when I was in my teens because it usually ment one of these games, indoors with your parents. More like bored gaming am I rite?!

The fact that board games have benefited hugely from the fact that the nerdy kids of yonder times now have money and have thus improved significantly eludes many people. I know I only got back into it in my early 30ies due to a friend who was an American computer game producer with a penchant for board games who had a sizeable collection. I am very grateful to him because nowadays I value board games with friends way more than computer games...but not everybody has a persistent friend who urges/forces you to play wildly different games until it one day just clicks.

Edit: I was so clueless in terms of games, I even enjoyed Cards against Humanity the first 3 times we played it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Board games require a set of skills that don't get used regularly by many people, simple as that.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

My mom, brother, and brother's fiance could not understand King of New York and basically had my father and I make every single decision for them on every single roll. I tried to explain to them what their options were and why they might want to pick them, and every single time was asked "but which is the best option to go with?"

Somehow I had significantly more success with Viticulture. Maybe it was because my brother and his fiance weren't there, maybe it's because my mom loves wine and actually cared about the theme.

Luckily they understand Codenames and Sushi Go so I still have a game that I can play with them when visiting.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Some people don't want to make meaningful decisions in the evening. They just want something to do with their hands and to talk about during lulls in conversation.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Fantasy Flight posted this on their facebook page

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh hell yes, I love licensed games.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Glagha posted:

a good game of Secret Hitler.

There is no such thing and you know it.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

PerniciousKnid posted:

Some people don't want to make meaningful decisions in the evening. They just want something to do with their hands and to talk about during lulls in conversation.

That's true, but those people shouldn't have asked me to bring any of my board games when I've already gifted the simplest ones I can think of. I'm not opposed to playing simpler games with people or even just not playing games at all, but in this particular situation that wasn't presented as an option. And it would have been insulting to tell them that the cartoon monster game was too complex for them

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

bowmore posted:

:rolleyes:

Taught Las Vegas, Via Nebula, and Codenames to people this weekend.

All three were definite hits with requests to play them again right afterwards. Via Nebula was a risk but the theme, components, and art helped lube up the unsuspecting gamers for a very Wallace-y route and resource management experience. I wanted to get Istanbul and FCM to the table but my GF was giving me dirty looks so no dice.

As always, Codenames is fun in a box that everyone falls in love with.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

bowmore posted:

Won't be the same until there's tits on mole rats

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Merauder posted:

For the anti-Hanabi-ites among us, have any of you played Bomb Squad or Beyond Baker Street? Both take the "can't see your own cards, give clues to your teammates" model from Hanabi and build upon it / expand it. I personally still love Hanabi for it's core simplicity, but see the appeal of the others. Curious what the different takes might be.

I've played Bomb Squad and it's actually kind of hilarious fun. It uses a Hanabi-like mechanism to play cards face-down into a pot. On your turn, instead of Hanabi-ing, you can move the bomb robot by picking up the cards from the pot and arranging them into a robo-rally style programmed turn. You must use ALL the cards in the pot so you might have to do stupid things like accidentally damage the robot by driving it into a wall. This is all done against a timer soundtrack (some bombs are set to blow before others).

so like hanabi-cum-roborally-cum-spacealert?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I hate roborally, but I don't know why exactly.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

please knock Mom! posted:

I hate roborally, but I don't know why exactly.

It's bad, is why.

As designed it takes a *long* time for its weight.

The randomness is post-decision, so you put down your stuff, then find out what everyone else did and then lol you fell into a pit.

The cards are not balanced at all.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Crackbone posted:

Board games require a set of skills that don't get used regularly by many people, simple as that.

It is true, it is not often in my day that I am given a hand of cards, have to choose one, pass that hand to somebody else, and then do that again with another hand of cards.

After teaching a simple game a dozen times to not only non-gamers, but to people who did not even know there was going to be a game, I respectfully suggest that it is not just about a "gaming" skill set or what kind of game people want to play with their time (though those also matter), but that there may also be something to games per se that do not land for some people. Games are nearly a non-activity for some, "empty calories" in terms of activities; for others, they are more a set of stress-inducing rulesets and peer pressure.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Speaking of Robo Rally, what are some of the better programming games? I've played Lords of Xidit and thought it was fine, but nothing great. I still want to try Mechs vs Minions.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well. Hmm.

FFG's Fallout board game actually looks interesting. It even has hints of Mage Knight in design, but combat handled by dice instead of card play.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...campaign=buffer

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of Robo Rally, what are some of the better programming games? I've played Lords of Xidit and thought it was fine, but nothing great. I still want to try Mechs vs Minions.

Space Alert