Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

WHILE we're talking about MNK and positionals and jazz, I've got a question about clipping buffs. As a monk, should I be refreshing Dragon Kick before or after the debuff drops off the enemy? At the moment I'm doing Dragon Kick combo, Bootshine combo, Dragon Kick combo. If I do DK, BSx2, DK then the second DK is hitting the enemy after the debuff has dropped off, BUT I get a second bootshine in during the debuff window. Which of these is the higher dps?

I'd also like to ask the exact same question but for Twin Snakes - should Twin Snakes hit while the buff is still up, or after it drops off?

I always try to reapply before the buffs/debuffs fall off, if less than 5 seconds are on the clock.

Also positionals are good and bads like you guys are what ruined MCH in the first place. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Just finished the last dungeon/trial for 4.0. Good poo poo.

The final dungeon went really quickly... but that's probably because I joined an in-progress run that was right in front of the last boss! I pretty much just rolled in, smacked some buttons for a few minutes, and got a couple nice accessories for my trouble.

Only wiped once on the final trial since both healers managed to die halfway through. :v: Really cool fight.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The MCH changes at least what you're supposed to do with it clear

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
please buff BLM by replacing every spell animation with flare

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
except foul

foul can stay

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Nah dude repeatedly bonking people on the head with blizzard 4 in pvp is great.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Renegret posted:

please buff BLM by replacing every spell animation with lb3 nukes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The MCH changes seem like a pretty big numbers boost, though I'm not sure what the point of reducing the recast timer of Gauss Barrel is, given that any time you'd have to reapply it, it's probably been longer than 10 seconds since you applied it in the first place.

Flamethrower boosting your heat faster, and Gauss Barrel giving you another 10% damage, at least it's something. But then again I wasn't expecting a full overhaul in an "off" patch anyway, I guess, and maybe it's still not enough.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

vOv posted:

If PLD's melee combos were somehow unified into one button or even into two I'd probably fall asleep playing the loving thing.

Just means yoship can go more wild with the fights instead because you have more attention to give to the fight instead, rather than playing pretend piano. Also, PLD would need 3 combo buttons: Halone chain, Royal chain, Goring blade chain. This also opens the possibility of all 3 combos having entirely unique skill abilities, while not taking up 9 loving hotkeys.

e: It also brings up the skill floor a bit (can't gently caress up a combo unless you literally push a different button mid-chain) which is always nice, but doesn't really do anything to skill ceiling, as pushing 3 buttons in the correct order isn't exactly rocket science, and the difference between 90 and 99% is already not people loving up combos but people choosing to do the wrong combo for the situation (i.e. doing a halone when you've already got a comfortable threat lead or overwriting your goring blade too soon).

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 8, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Harrow posted:

The MCH changes seem like a pretty big numbers boost, though I'm not sure what the point of reducing the recast timer of Gauss Barrel is, given that any time you'd have to reapply it, it's probably been longer than 10 seconds since you applied it in the first place.

Flamethrower boosting your heat faster, and Gauss Barrel giving you another 10% damage, at least it's something. But then again I wasn't expecting a full overhaul in an "off" patch anyway, I guess, and maybe it's still not enough.

the purpose is for people who accidentally hit gauss barrel or who haven't gotten Cooldown yet and have to manually stance dance in/out of gauss barrel

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

the purpose is for people who accidentally hit gauss barrel or who haven't gotten Cooldown yet and have to manually stance dance in/out of gauss barrel

Ah, okay, that makes sense, then. To be honest I'm not too sure why it ever needed to have a recast time to begin with so I'm glad it's functionally gone.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Holy poo poo the SMN changes :laffo:

Why even advertise that?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Holy poo poo the SMN changes :laffo:

Why even advertise that?

hey it's a 5% DPS increase that puts them up past RDM!

doesn't like fix any of the other problems with the class but I imagine in the field of "changing damage numbers or buff times" that all the other changes in this patch consist of its the best they could do

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Didnt they state that they were reassessing how some classes played but that there just isn't time to change them quickly? I'm guessing they are going over the whiteboard on mechanics changes but it wont be a while till they release them.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Blockhouse posted:

hey it's a 5% DPS increase that puts them up past RDM!

doesn't like fix any of the other problems with the class but I imagine in the field of "changing damage numbers or buff times" that all the other changes in this patch consist of its the best they could do

oh word?

honestly if I were going to tweak the class I would add more cool egi's and make them like BRD songs.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So would anyone be interested in doing ARR raids this coming sunday around noonish EDT?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So would anyone be interested in doing ARR raids this coming sunday around noonish EDT?

Man I'd be down but I'm going to be out of town until like 2pm. :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Phone posted:

Man I'd be down but I'm going to be out of town until like 2pm. :(

I was thinking noon because that'd be easier but I'm here all sunday, so if it's better for yall to do anywhere in the 12-5 bracket that's ok too.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
I'm legit mad that ranked team feast was killed soon as I was interested in trying it!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is there a way for me to see which quests I have/haven't done anywhere?

I need to do them all.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

potency boosts for DRG, woo!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Draynar posted:

I'm legit mad that ranked team feast was killed soon as I was interested in trying it!

It'll likely be back next season, so for now you'll have to suffer solo queue. And it's truly suffering. I imagine once you're out of bronze, the mouthbreathers thin considerably, but the PVP rework has brought in a lot of people who don't grasp the fundamentals of Feast and 4v4 PVP in general and it's a pretty flaccid slapfight until culling time forces a healer to die.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there a way for me to see which quests I have/haven't done anywhere?

I need to do them all.

Not that I know of. I've always just had to seek out ! marks in areas of the appropriate level.

e:

Emalde posted:

It'll likely be back next season, so for now you'll have to suffer solo queue. And it's truly suffering. I imagine once you're out of bronze, the mouthbreathers thin considerably, but the PVP rework has brought in a lot of people who don't grasp the fundamentals of Feast and 4v4 PVP in general and it's a pretty flaccid slapfight until culling time forces a healer to die.

What are the fundamentals of Feast/4v4, while were on the subject? Are there any good guides? I've only ever really messed around with Frontlines.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 8, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I was thinking noon because that'd be easier but I'm here all sunday, so if it's better for yall to do anywhere in the 12-5 bracket that's ok too.

There's a really good chance that I'm going to take a shower and collapse, but we'll see. I'll make a note to send you a message in game on Sunday.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DizzyBum posted:

Not that I know of. I've always just had to seek out ! marks in areas of the appropriate level.

Dang.

They really should have implemented the "do x quests in an area" achievements that WoW has.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hmm I should really start doing Marks now that I'm level capped.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Apparently the lodestone lists every quest in the game by zone so I might just make a google doc while I'm bored at work.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Dang.

They really should have implemented the "do x quests in an area" achievements that WoW has.

They do help bridge the gap when the MSQ outlevels you, though to be fair the only time this happened to me in 4.0 was around 65~66. MSQ only got me halfway through a level, so I had to rely on a couple Duty Roulettes and then a handful of quests/FATEs to finish it off.

I like the little bits of lore you get through all the quests, so I like doing them anyway. It's something to do while waiting for queues or after you've done all your daily tasks, and the rewards aren't bad. At the very least, it's EXP you can dump into an alt job.

Vargatron posted:

Hmm I should really start doing Marks now that I'm level capped.

I just hit 70 and I'm ready to ride the hunt train to Tomeville. Seems like all the hunt shells are always full, though.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Augus posted:

potency boosts for DRG, woo!

no you loving idiot

the buffs are to when you FAIL TO DO YOUR POSITIONAL, not to your regular damage.

if you play correctly, the changes do nothing

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

DizzyBum posted:

What are the fundamentals of Feast/4v4, while were on the subject? Are there any good guides? I've only ever really messed around with Frontlines.

A lot of it varies on factors, but Big Ones:

1. The offensive/defensive kits at the start should be distributed logically, either the tank or ranged should be getting the offensive kits as they're the least at risk to die and waste it, defensive should be going to the healer or the other DPS
    2. As a DPS, your priority targets at the start should be the enemy DPS with the offensive kit, or focus on either the healer or melee DPS (whichever is more out of position). As a tank, you pretty much just want to be parked on top of the enemy healer and disrupting them as much as possible, but don't tunnel vision, make sure you're not letting your own team get eaten while you play hanky-panky.
    3. Positioning, positioning, positioning. Make sure you're LOSing enemy ranged, drag/kite their melee behind a wall, make sure you're staying with your team so you can target them for heals/buffs.
    4. Every 2 minutes, a neutral objective spawns (2xAdrenaline, Wolf's Heart, then another 2xAdrenaline), it's important to control these to the best of your team's ability, you need to deal 51% damage to the box as a team to "claim" it. If the rest of your team isn't chasing after these, don't touch them and use it as an opportunity to pick at the enemy team if they decide to. These are really good to have though, so definitely make an attempt.
    5. Culling Time: If neither team sees a death after a period of (2:30? something to that effect), an announcement occurs. During this, every 15 seconds everybody gets a vuln stack until somebody kicks it. Right now this is pretty common if the healers are any good (or if the DPS can't focus down a target effectively at all), and in low rank seems to be what determines which team will win.
    6. If your healer is running low on MP, everybody needs to collapse back and make sure people aren't putting themselves in a position to die while the healer is taxed. Wait for their MP refresh to come off cooldown before you start putting on the gas again.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 8, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Ask around in your FC for an invite the Binding Slinky linkshell. There should be plenty of people willing to help.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Ask around in your FC for an invite the Binding Slinky linkshell. There should be plenty of people willing to help.

That's a great name for a linkshell. Also I still need to do Final Coil so I'd be down for helping with that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DizzyBum posted:

They do help bridge the gap when the MSQ outlevels you, though to be fair the only time this happened to me in 4.0 was around 65~66. MSQ only got me halfway through a level, so I had to rely on a couple Duty Roulettes and then a handful of quests/FATEs to finish it off.

I like the little bits of lore you get through all the quests, so I like doing them anyway. It's something to do while waiting for queues or after you've done all your daily tasks, and the rewards aren't bad. At the very least, it's EXP you can dump into an alt job.

Yeah I didn't do a ton of them in my MSQ runthrough with the DRG (though when I close to the end I did have a bit of a gap to bridge) but I definitely was using them as a major source of XP when leveling my Red Mage. I'm planning on cleaning them (and all the HW and ARR quests) up with whatever classes I bring through next. A list or achievement would just be helpful to keep track so I don't miss anything.

I'm fairly certain that I've cleared out just about everything sub 30, though, so I'll probably have to PotD level :(

ilifinicus posted:

no you loving idiot

the buffs are to when you FAIL TO DO YOUR POSITIONAL, not to your regular damage.

So then...potency buffs for Dragoon, woo :v:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

The problem with DRG is that it has a higher skill cap.

This is one of the dumbest things I've seen posted in this thread

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

MAJOR GAME PROBLEM, NEEDS SOLVING IMMEDIATELY: class takes skill to play well

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Ibblebibble posted:

I always try to reapply before the buffs/debuffs fall off, if less than 5 seconds are on the clock.

This is what I've been doing but I don't know if it's the best dps I can do? It's either increased potency or debuffs/buffs up for 2 GCDs and I don't know which is better.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ilifinicus posted:

no you loving idiot

So... it's actually kind of a nerf if you already land your positionals because the one positional potency change was reduced, not increased? Welp. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Control Volume posted:

I would say that it's a legitimate problem is a class has a higher skill cap without correspondingly higher rewards for hitting that. You just then run into the problem of how to fix it.

If you give a class a high skill cap and high rewards for meeting that skill cap it creates a more significant disparity between players within the same class, let alone in other classes, which is a balance nightmare. On the other hand if you ease the skill requirements than the class can be less fun to play and some people do genuinely want a higher-skill class to play.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Harrow posted:

So... it's actually kind of a nerf if you already land your positionals because the one positional potency change was reduced, not increased? Welp. :v:

The base potency was boosted. The bonus potency for positional was lowered by the same amount. Nothing has changed if you get it right, and if you goof you lose ever-so-slightly less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Control Volume posted:

If you're trying to balance classes then one having an a skill cap that's noticeably higher than the other's is an actual design problem you twit. I don't care that it's hard, but why should I bother when I can do just as well or better with half the effort on other classes.