Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not exactly sure when this happened, but Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying 2nd Edition is back and purchasable on drivethrurpg again: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/54/Cubicle-7-Entertainment-Ltd/subcategory/179_4943/Warhammer-Fantasy-Roleplay-2nd-Edition

Wonder if this will/could happen to the 40k RPGs too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Drone posted:

Wonder if this will/could happen to the 40k RPGs too?

Maybe if they find someone to start on a new edition, but probably not until then.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/894936917128728581

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But GURPS already exists.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Would almost guarantee it's an LCG or something, not an RPG.

If it's an RPG, maybe they licensed their weird 'use your own stats in the apocalypse' thing for it.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

And so we come full circle. I really hope Steve Jackson is still kicking himself, but I very much doubt it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I want a WFRP3/EotE style Fallout RPG, but SPECIAL is such a terrible stat array.

So torn.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's going to be a four player board game that costs $100 plus optional expansions at $10-15 each

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Len posted:

It's going to be a four player board game that costs $100 plus optional expansions at $10-15 each

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The first expansion is Skyrim.

As are the others.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Splicer posted:

I want a WFRP3/EotE style Fallout RPG, but SPECIAL is such a terrible stat array.

So torn.
You know that FFG is coming out with a generic version of their Warhammer/EotE dice system, right?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/27/genesys/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Not your typical grognardy news story about boardgames: https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...amwala-pakistan

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

It's a board game: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/08/08/fantasy-flight-announces-fallout-board-game.aspx

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

Not your typical grognardy news story about boardgames: https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...amwala-pakistan

Aw man the game's not available yet. :(

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Oh cool, another implementation of Talisman--after Relic, RuneQuest, World of Warcraft, etc

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

kaynorr posted:

And so we come full circle. I really hope Steve Jackson is still kicking himself, but I very much doubt it.

Of course he isn't. He's still pulling in that sweet, sweet Munchkin money.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm just glad there's no reason to buy it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Yes! I can safely not give a gently caress.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mango sentinel posted:

Yes! I can safely not give a gently caress.

it's a fantasy flight product, you already knew not to give a gently caress

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm honestly surprised Todd hasn't ported Skyrim to the last great platform... The D20 SRD.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Plutonis posted:

I'm honestly surprised Todd hasn't ported Skyrim to the last great platform... The D20 SRD.

Is the 3e ogl still available?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Evil Mastermind posted:

You know that FFG is coming out with a generic version of their Warhammer/EotE dice system, right?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/27/genesys/
Yes. I mentioned this at my gaming group and then had to explain to one of the players what a generic system means and why Fantasy Age didn't qualify and oh god I just got generic system -> genesys I think I just threw up in my mouth a little

e: still going to get it though

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 8, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Splicer posted:

generic system -> genesys
gently caress.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

mango sentinel posted:

Is the 3e ogl still available?

It effectively can't go away at this point without some major court wrangling. Even if Hasbro went and altered the OGL so it couldn't be used as it is currently, I believe there's nothing keeping you from just using an older version of the OGL because of section 9.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It effectively can't go away at this point without some major court wrangling. Even if Hasbro went and altered the OGL so it couldn't be used as it is currently, I believe there's nothing keeping you from just using an older version of the OGL because of section 9.

For all the things people say about Gary Gygax, he was totally right that the OGL was a bad idea that'd result in a competitor stealing D&D from them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
You know what would be fun? A Battle Century G game where everyone works for the EDF (Earth Defense Force) as it defends the planet from Daikaiju from Godzilla's rogue's gallery...and Godzilla too, of course.

Bonus Points: If you use Kiryu (Mechagodillza from 2002's Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla who is e a Mechagodzilla made from the original Godzilla's skeleton and retains that godzilla's genetic memory) as a player character's mecha.

Covok fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 9, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

You know what would be fun? A Battle Century G game where everyone works for the EDF (Earth Defense Force) as it defends the planet from Daikaiju from Godzilla's rogue's gallery...and Godzilla too, of course.

Bonus Points: If you use Kiryu (Mechagodillza from 2002's Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla who ise a Mechagodzilla made from the original Mechagodzilla's skeleton and retains that godzilla's genetic memory) as a player character's mecha.

That would be cool

Covok
May 27, 2013

Plutonis posted:

That would be cool

I'd run it but I run a Force & Destiny game on Sunday, a Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game on Saturday, a Edge of the Empire game on Friday, and I'll soon be running a Legend of the Elements set in the A:TLA universe game on Tuesday. I can only run so much!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Anybody happen to know offhand where a goon could get ahold of a bunch of relatively cheap post-apoc looking minis? I'm kicking around running a Fallout tabletop and would like some thematic figs for pushing around on the map.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

How about these? https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/project-z/

I'm fairly sure those are just Wargames Factory's plastic models repackaged. You might be able to find some in your LGS or ebay or somewhere for cheaper.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 9, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Covok posted:

For all the things people say about Gary Gygax, he was totally right that the OGL was a bad idea that'd result in a competitor stealing D&D from them.

I honestly have no idea what Hasbro thought the upside of OGL would be.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

I think they were trying to do the "DOTA is so successful that people start buying Warcraft 3 just to play DOTA" thing before it happened, but didn't really work out the exclusivity part.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

If I remember correctly, the idea was to offload the cost of making adventures (which were generally always losses) and supplements onto the fanbase.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think they were trying to do the "DOTA is so successful that people start buying Warcraft 3 just to play DOTA" thing before it happened, but didn't really work out the exclusivity part.

That didn't work too well to Blizzard either

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

The window between "nobody seriously plays WC3 ladder anymore, only DOTA", and "Valve has released DOTA 2" was small, but it existed.

Which is more than I can say for whatever value that WOTC might have gotten from the OGL.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Plutonis posted:

Eh, I think it worked fine. It goosed the long tail on W3, and Blizz had no direct competitor to Dota 2 when it launched.

The OGL is more akin to if modders used W3 to make Starcraft 2 and Warhammer Total War.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Evil Mastermind posted:

If I remember correctly, the idea was to offload the cost of making adventures (which were generally always losses) and supplements onto the fanbase.

Bingo. By offloading the production of adventures and to supplements onto third parties, Wizards/Hasbro could just rake in the money from selling core rulebooks (which are always needed) without taking potential losses on adventures/supplements.

It also poisoned the well for 4e, because when Wizards/Hasbro rightly decided that maaaaaaaybe they shouldn't make the license so vague that you could drive a truck through it (aka, you basically allow a competitor to create their own version of D&D which is how we wound up with Pathfinder) everybody got pissed - and rightfully so, since Hasbro was so tight-fisted with the 4e ruleset/license they didn't allow anybody to actually see the rules (aside from playtesters) so they could create adventures/supplements before 4e got released.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I found an interview with Dancey, and found the other reason: to wipe out other RPGs.

quote:

We make more revenue and more profit from our core rulebooks than any other part of our product lines. In a sense, every other RPG product we sell other than the core rulebooks is a giant, self-financing marketing program to drive sales of those core books. At an extreme view, you could say that the core >book< of the PHB is the focus of all this activity, and in fact, the PHB is the #1 best selling, and most profitable RPG product Wizards of the Coast makes year in and year out.

The logical conclusion says that reducing the "cost" to other people to publishing and supporting the core D&D game to zero should eventually drive support for all other game systems to the lowest level possible in the market, create customer resistance to the introduction of new systems, and the result of all that "support" redirected to the D&D game will be to steadily increase the number of people who play D&D, thus driving sales of the core books. This is a feedback cycle -- the more effective the support is, the more people play D&D. The more people play D&D, the more effective the support is.

The other great effect of Open Gaming should be a rapid, constant improvement in the quality of the rules. With lots of people able to work on them in public, problems with math, with ease of use, of variance from standard forms, etc. should all be improved over time. The great thing about Open Gaming is that it is interactive -- someone figures out a way to make something work better, and everyone who uses that part of the rules is free to incorporate it into their products. Including us. So D&D as a game should benefit from the shared development of all the people who work on the Open Gaming derivative of D&D.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/md/md20020228e

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Playing devil's advocate, part of the propaganda for D20 was that there were too many publishers with mediocre in-house systems which they'd created just for the sake of having one. And that was absolutely true. In 2000 there were way too many house systems that all superficially resembled Storyteller/Shadowrun--even when the core mechanic was different, the character sheets looked alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Evil Mastermind posted:

I found an interview with Dancey, and found the other reason: to wipe out other RPGs.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/md/md20020228e
Well, you seem to take his word for it, but in the same quote he says

quote:

The other great effect of Open Gaming should be a rapid, constant improvement in the quality of the rules. With lots of people able to work on them in public, problems with math, with ease of use, of variance from standard forms, etc. should all be improved over time. The great thing about Open Gaming is that it is interactive -- someone figures out a way to make something work better, and everyone who uses that part of the rules is free to incorporate it into their products. Including us. So D&D as a game should benefit from the shared development of all the people who work on the Open Gaming derivative of D&D.
:thunk:

• Locked thread