Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Generic Monk posted:

also they removed this feature in the 5k generation :discourse:

This was probably because, at the time, the best available version of DisplayPort was only capable of 30 Hz refresh rate at 5K resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

BobHoward posted:

This was probably because, at the time, the best available version of DisplayPort was only capable of 30 Hz refresh rate at 5K resolution.

latest version has tb3 and there are no plans to bring the feature back :discourse:

Pivo posted:

this is not true. unless you are buying some $300 budget af laptop, 1080p is the minimum and 4K touch screens are surprisingly an option on quite a lot of them

like i said, most windows laptops are still shipping with 1366x768 tn panels. 90% of people buying the 1366x768 laptops don't have the money for a macbook or non-poo poo windows laptop; the other 10% actively hate what they're using and do not want to invest any amount of thought into thinking about a thing that they don't even want to understand, so they either get aggressively sold one of the 768p shittops at the big box store or they buy the cheapest possible thing they can find online, just to stop thinking about it depending on how ~consumer savvy~ they're feeling that day.

one of the best things the ipod, iphone and resultant apple brand has done, and i mean this totally earnestly and without a shred of irony, is literally trick people into having a better computing experience by convincing them to spend the requisite amount of money to get a computer that isn't literally falling apart

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 6, 2017

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Pivo posted:

the Surface Studio is absolutely gorgeous; unfortunately it is very underpowered and completely non upgradeable for the extreme cost. i'm talking trashcan Mac Pro levels of cost + worse un-upgradeability. it targets a very niche market. and it doesn't adjust to sit flat, it does go down to a fairly shallow angle like a drafting table. since you are paying so much for that display and hinge, and it can't be paired with more powerful hardware, it's a bit of an issue. i do recommend playing with one though, the hinge and display is incredible.

I fee like an appropriate next step is to sell that display + hinge on its own.

Anyway - back to Mac talk.

I get the grumps regarding the mini but I can't really find a place for it in my setup. That said, I am aggressively moving toward a single machine setup.

My desktop is now just me plugging a dock into my 2016 MBP and using it that way.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pivo posted:

the Surface Studio is absolutely gorgeous; unfortunately it is very underpowered and completely non upgradeable for the extreme cost. i'm talking trashcan Mac Pro levels of cost + worse un-upgradeability. it targets a very niche market. and it doesn't adjust to sit flat, it does go down to a fairly shallow angle like a drafting table. since you are paying so much for that display and hinge, and it can't be paired with more powerful hardware, it's a bit of an issue. i do recommend playing with one though, the hinge and display is incredible.

If it was half the price for the respective spec/cost levels I'd give it a resounding "maybe I'll buy that" for my work, but at the current cost there's no justification for it.

I don't even think it's worth considering as a designer for design work. I mean, pen input is pretty neat but Surface displays are really really bad at not getting jitters and correctly registering precise input. Maybe this isn't as important for people who do more broader brushwork or something.

An iPad Pro is probably better for drawing honestly, the Pencil is pretty great. Save drawings on it to cloud storage to gently caress with on a regular computer. It's dumb to consider that I could save money by going with Apple instead.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Shoota_McG posted:

I have almost the same machine but I kept the i5 (3.8GHz quad core) and went with the 512 SSD (with an external Sandisk USB3 500 GB SSD). It's been really great.

Just finished a 4 minute video project in FCPX and even with multiple Safari tabs and iTunes running, 8GB of RAM was just fine.

This thread has me considering just returning the one I ordered and getting one with a 512gb internal SSD since apparently they are 5x faster than a sata III ssd. And apple only connector.

The only thing stopping me is the thought that, if it really pisses me off, an NVMe m.2 external SSD drive connected through thunderbolt 3 should have the same speed as an internal drive (in the future where such a thing exists and is compatible with mac). Then I could just boot from the external drive. Or maybe I got it all wrong. Again.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

rdb posted:

This thread has me considering just returning the one I ordered and getting one with a 512gb internal SSD since apparently they are 5x faster than a sata III ssd. And apple only connector.

The only thing stopping me is the thought that, if it really pisses me off, an NVMe m.2 external SSD drive connected through thunderbolt 3 should have the same speed as an internal drive (in the future where such a thing exists and is compatible with mac). Then I could just boot from the external drive. Or maybe I got it all wrong. Again.

My take, is that you could always just add mass storage through USB 3 and leave that internal drive as your boot drive.

I've got the 512 SSD inside, the 500 GB USB3 SSD (it reads at just 500 MBps), and a 4TB NAS.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
I went with a Fusion drive on my iMac. I'm not terribly happy with it as I'm used to the SSD boot speeds, but I couldn't justify the price. I also have this nagging feeling that external USB-C options will only get better.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

If it was half the price for the respective spec/cost levels I'd give it a resounding "maybe I'll buy that" for my work, but at the current cost there's no justification for it.

I don't even think it's worth considering as a designer for design work. I mean, pen input is pretty neat but Surface displays are really really bad at not getting jitters and correctly registering precise input. Maybe this isn't as important for people who do more broader brushwork or something.

An iPad Pro is probably better for drawing honestly, the Pencil is pretty great. Save drawings on it to cloud storage to gently caress with on a regular computer. It's dumb to consider that I could save money by going with Apple instead.

Why not just use a cintiq?

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tuyop posted:

Why not just use a cintiq?

Cintiq is nothing but a specialized touchscreen monitor instead of a whole device and they cost just as much.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mein Eyes! posted:

I went with a Fusion drive on my iMac. I'm not terribly happy with it as I'm used to the SSD boot speeds, but I couldn't justify the price. I also have this nagging feeling that external USB-C options will only get better.

Can you return it?

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Boiled Water posted:

Can you return it?

I'm considering it, but then again I'm not sure the Fusion drive is such a problem for my use. I'll see how I feel after a week.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mein Eyes! posted:

Did you get the 2TB?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Mein Eyes! posted:

I have a 3TB Fusion drive and it seems to work pretty well. Bootup is pretty snappy and I've not noticed any read-write problems. Then again, I'm used to an ancient HDD in a 7-year-old MBP, so I probably have no idea what I'm missing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Why are you rebooting an iMac often enough to notice how slow it is?

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krispy Kareem posted:

Why are you rebooting an iMac often enough to notice how slow it is?

You know, I feel like I constantly see you responding to people's issues with an Apple product they purchased by criticizing the validity of their use case.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“ArgumentatumE.C.T.”" post="“475134958”"]
You know, I feel like I constantly see you responding to people’s issues with an Apple product they purchased by criticizing the validity of their use case.
[/quote]

Just being a little sarcastic. It’s unusual to reboot a laptop, much less a desktop. Even rarer an Apple desktop.

If boot times are his worst issue, then it probably isn’t a big deal. If he’s seeing slow performance elsewhere then it might be a problem. Personally I’ve never seen the point of Fusion drives. Apple products are tough to fix so it’s best to keep internal moving parts to a minimum.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Krispy Kareem posted:

Just being a little sarcastic. It’s unusual to reboot a laptop, much less a desktop. Even rarer an Apple desktop.

It's pretty normal to power off a machine so that encryption keys aren't stored in memory at times it's far more likely to stolen. You can configure power modes where instead of sleeping the machine will hibernate without storing the keys but it's probably more reliable to just power things down. If the machine being stolen and the data accessed isn't something you're concerned with then of course this is irrelevant, but that's not the case for everyone.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Krispy Kareem posted:

Personally I’ve never seen the point of Fusion drives. Apple products are tough to fix so it’s best to keep internal moving parts to a minimum.

It's the same point as any SSHD. They get to increase the cost of goods by a pittance and convince you that it's as fast as an SSD where it really counts so you should pay extra to get the best of both worlds.

Not a lot for the consumer unless you're averse to external HDDs and absolutely need the space though.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Apples SSD pricing is absolutely insane. $1400 to upgrade from a 2TB fusion to a 2TB SSD. Equivalent to the cost of a second imac or mbp, its a real tough pill to swallow.

My other big gripe is the slow rear end shipping. I don't understand why its taking 10 days to get from sunnyvale to me. Which makes me want to keep it when it does get here because I don't want to wait another 10-15 days.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Looking to grab an older time capsule to upgrade the HD to maybe 4TB and connect it directly to my router while disabling it's wifi/dhcp/router features.

Is there anything I need to know? End of life on the product? Do older time capsules still work with the latest and greatest OSX ?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

rdb posted:

Apples SSD pricing is absolutely insane. $1400 to upgrade from a 2TB fusion to a 2TB SSD. Equivalent to the cost of a second imac or mbp, its a real tough pill to swallow.

My other big gripe is the slow rear end shipping. I don't understand why its taking 10 days to get from sunnyvale to me. Which makes me want to keep it when it does get here because I don't want to wait another 10-15 days.

Look up what a high end NVMe ssd costs.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The Lord Bude posted:

Look up what a high end NVMe ssd costs.

The 2TB option is a version of the 960 PRO I thought, which is not $1400. Not much cheaper, but Apple is probably making a pretty healthy profit off the upgrade.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

It's the same point as any SSHD. They get to increase the cost of goods by a pittance and convince you that it's as fast as an SSD where it really counts so you should pay extra to get the best of both worlds.

Not a lot for the consumer unless you're averse to external HDDs and absolutely need the space though.

SSHDs and Fusion drives are nowhere near the same level performance wise though. A 2tb SSHD will get you 8gb flash while a fusion will get you 128gb (or more if you build one yourself). With a fusion setup you can fit the entire OS and probably all your applications on the SSD depending on usage. An SSHD has just too little flash to be useful.

I've been running fusion drive setups in my Mac mini, Mac Pro and Macbook systems and they are just as flash as a dedicated SSD for almost all my daily usage.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

SourKraut posted:

The 2TB option is a version of the 960 PRO I thought

Is it? They've been switching to wholly Apple-designed SSDs in most of the product line. Several years back they bought some Israeli SSD controller company, and now they have the ability to design their own SSD controllers and firmware.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Can confirm that Apple went to totally proprietary SSDs in the 2017 models, have looked at several and there's no hint of Samsung or SanDisk components, there used to be on previous models.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

FCKGW posted:

SSHDs and Fusion drives are nowhere near the same level performance wise though. A 2tb SSHD will get you 8gb flash while a fusion will get you 128gb (or more if you build one yourself). With a fusion setup you can fit the entire OS and probably all your applications on the SSD depending on usage. An SSHD has just too little flash to be useful.

I've been running fusion drive setups in my Mac mini, Mac Pro and Macbook systems and they are just as flash as a dedicated SSD for almost all my daily usage.

Yeah, that's a fair point for the larger ones. It was my understanding that smaller Fusion drives had a flash component more similar in size to consumer SSHDs, that's what I was referring to.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What are these other network interfaces on my 2016 15" tbMBP?

ifconfig outputs:

code:
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	options=1203<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,TXSTATUS,SW_TIMESTAMP>
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 
	inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 
	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1 
	nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 78:4f:43:74:b2:d8 
	inet6 fe80::14a7:8350:2bdf:e2cc%en0 prefixlen 64 secured scopeid 0x5 
	inet 192.168.1.119 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
	media: autoselect
en2: flags=963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500
	options=60<TSO4,TSO6>
	ether 12:00:e5:88:8d:04 
	media: autoselect <full-duplex>
en4: flags=963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500
	options=60<TSO4,TSO6>
	ether 12:00:e5:88:8d:05 
en1: flags=963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500
	options=60<TSO4,TSO6>
	ether 12:00:e5:88:8d:00 
en3: flags=963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500
	options=60<TSO4,TSO6>
	ether 12:00:e5:88:8d:01 
bridge0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	options=63<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,TSO4,TSO6>
	ether 12:00:e5:88:8d:00 
	Configuration:
		id 0:0:0:0:0:0 priority 0 hellotime 0 fwddelay 0
		maxage 0 holdcnt 0 proto stp maxaddr 100 timeout 1200
		root id 0:0:0:0:0:0 priority 0 ifcost 0 port 0
		ipfilter disabled flags 0x2
	member: en1 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
	        ifmaxaddr 0 port 8 priority 0 path cost 0
	member: en2 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
	        ifmaxaddr 0 port 6 priority 0 path cost 0
	member: en3 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
	        ifmaxaddr 0 port 9 priority 0 path cost 0
	member: en4 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
	        ifmaxaddr 0 port 7 priority 0 path cost 0
	media: <unknown type>
p2p0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2304
	ether 0a:4f:43:74:b2:d8 
awdl0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1484
	ether 4e:af:66:8b:a0:0b 
	inet6 fe80::4caf:66ff:fe8b:a00b%awdl0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0xc 
utun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1380
	inet6 fe80::a450:c638:9cd1:11b1%utun0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0xd 
	inet6 fddc:7cd1:808c:ba81:a450:c638:9cd1:11b1 prefixlen 64 
utun1: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 2000
	inet6 fe80::b95e:f69b:3a41:e994%utun1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0xe 
utun2: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1380
	inet6 fe80::89cd:e430:b80:c02f%utun2 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0xf 
en9: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether ac:de:48:00:11:22 
	inet6 fe80::aede:48ff:fe00:1122%en9 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4 
	nd6 options=281<PERFORMNUD,INSECURE,DAD>
en10: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	options=b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_HWTAGGING>
	ether 00:05:1b:e0:21:1a 
	inet6 fe80::1055:2052:fe9a:103b%en10 prefixlen 64 secured scopeid 0x10 
	inet 192.168.1.115 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
	media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>)
utun3: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1380
	inet6 fe80::6e6f:d70e:2f1e:b494%utun3 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x11 

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

tuyop posted:

What are these other network interfaces on my 2016 15" tbMBP?

ifconfig outputs:

:words:

Do you have anything like parallels or VMWare installed? What about any sort of hardware simulator (e.g. iOS). Those will create extra network interfaces.

If this is a fresh install, I too am curious what those are.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Looks like you've probably also got some kind of VPN installed?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dick Nipples posted:

Do you have anything like parallels or VMWare installed? What about any sort of hardware simulator (e.g. iOS). Those will create extra network interfaces.

If this is a fresh install, I too am curious what those are.

Huh, I have played with Virtualbox like, a few times and just remove it afterwards each time. Should I be taking steps to get rid of these extra interfaces?

Evis posted:

Looks like you've probably also got some kind of VPN installed?

I have a PiVPN for home and openvpn on this Mac.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tuyop posted:

Huh, I have played with Virtualbox like, a few times and just remove it afterwards each time. Should I be taking steps to get rid of these extra interfaces?

Are you just removing the application or running the uninstaller from the original .DMG?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

BobHoward posted:

Is it? They've been switching to wholly Apple-designed SSDs in most of the product line. Several years back they bought some Israeli SSD controller company, and now they have the ability to design their own SSD controllers and firmware.

Binary Badger posted:

Can confirm that Apple went to totally proprietary SSDs in the 2017 models, have looked at several and there's no hint of Samsung or SanDisk components, there used to be on previous models.

Oh ok, for some reason I'd though I had remembered reading that based on benchmarks it was, but cool.

Though I bet they're making even more profit on the upgrades then...

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

tuyop posted:

I have a PiVPN for home and openvpn on this Mac.

The extra interfaces shouldn't be causing any issues. That said, it's usually a Good Thing (TM) as Bob Morales said, to run the actual uninstaller:

Bob Morales posted:

Are you just removing the application or running the uninstaller from the original .DMG?

Regarding VPN - the tunnel interfaces are related to that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think I noticed the uninstalled the last couple of times. I do this fairly regularly, like more than once a month. I should probably just install it and leave it.

I guess I'll just ignore the extra interfaces then. No big deal. Thanks though!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, that's a fair point for the larger ones. It was my understanding that smaller Fusion drives had a flash component more similar in size to consumer SSHDs, that's what I was referring to.

1TB fusion -> 24GB flash. I think most SSHDs have 8GB flash. So, closer to a SSHD than to the 128GB in bigger Fusion configs, but still a lot bigger than SSHD.

The other Fusion advantage is that it's a real SSD connected through PCIe. What you get in a SSHD is very constrained by both SATA and the need for the drives to be barely more expensive than regular HDDs (or the notoriously cheap general PC market won't buy them).

TLDR: in practice 1TB fusion should be significantly better than a 1TB SSHD.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Will I be alright if I pick up a 2012 Mac Mini? I'm interested in its upgradability but I'd also like to be able to keep up with OSX releases. I'm not really sure if there's a rule I should be following when purchasing used Apple hardware.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I just got a 2012 too.

The last OS break point was stuff that came natively with BT4. I think the next one will be Metal-capable graphics, of which the 2012 Mini actually has!

The only real reason to go for the 2012 is if you're going to get the quad core, but don't worry about trying to get the server version - the dual drive kit from iFixit is super cheap and easy to install. I have a 1TB SSD and 2TB spinner in mine with 16GB of RAM and it's a beast.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We had a fair bit of discussion about the 2012 a month or two back when I was buying mine. I have zero regrets but I made sure it at least had an SSD in it, as I couldn't be bothered to do the swapout myself and a platter system drive was a no-go for me.

$375 delivered got me a 128gb ssd 8gb ram model of the normal i5. Took me a bit of hunting to get one for that price, but suits me down to the ground.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Aren’t the 2012 Minis the most desirable ones? At least the ones with the desktop CPU.

I have a 2011 that still runs surprisingly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Aren’t the 2012 Minis the most desirable ones? At least the ones with the desktop CPU.

I have a 2011 that still runs surprisingly well.

I think the i7 quads are, yeah.