Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i mean, there hasn't been ranked pvp on Omega before today, so there wouldn't have been a huge demand for it, but there were almost invariably people who win-traded who transferred to Omega, yeah

I was actually speaking about Omega, the Duty.

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm still enjoying MCH. :shrug:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't even know, they can't even put the job back to how it was at the end of HW, because there are no buff cooldowns to cc anymore.

Basically what I'm saying is expect more heartbreak

We've already got that skill! :haw:

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Bring back Lead Shot

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm glad you appreciate the deliberate use of the word.

* MCH needs a top-to-bottom rejiggering of skills that it SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN DURING 4.0 DEVELOPMENT, because:
* MCH feels *really bad* at low levels, because there's no buff to pop when you need to burn poo poo down.
* MCH feels even worse in the 40-59 range. See the bit about NO GODDAMN SKILLS GIVEN BETWEEN LEVEL 40 AND 50, and how there are no oGCDs for the job until FIFTY-loving-FOUR.
* Getting Lead Shot back would not be a bad idea, it WOULD add some versatile damage back, whether single-target, or multi-dotting before going to Spread Shot.
* They need to give control back to the job with regards to overheating. Make it manually triggered, as opposed to going off willy nilly.
* And for gently caress's sake, plug that 40-50 hole where there are no skills. Shove some stuff down in there so that you can get Cooldown ten levels sooner!
* Is a 12 second Wildfire too much to ask for? 15 kept risking that the boss would jump away at 14 seconds. Happened so many times in HW I lost count, but really, after the second Clean Shot and oGCDs, you were basically done anyways.
* And give me back my loving Grenado Shot, damnit. Make it Heated Spread, but damnit, MCH needs a less-anemic-feeling AoE.

Alright, kvetching over. I'm gonna go into a corner and cradle my Deathlocke Lux.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
here's some food for thought for anyone hoping that unfun/broken classes will be fixed in 4.1:

it took them an entire expansion to realize that royal authority should combo off of riot blade and change it

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I actually thought the same thing about bringing back Grenado as a Heated Spread Shot, that would be great.

I don't mind MCH as-is because I love my flippy gun jumps and all, but it really does need a makeover.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Bleu posted:

Most statics don't care because the crafted gear is easier and better. :shrug:
I get better. Easier?

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
basically if you're playing drg, mch, smn whatever, you're hosed. I have zero faith in any meaningful changes actually happening whatsoever and I rightfully look down on those who have hope

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I feel really bad for MCH. I didn't play it heavily at 60, but I did enjoy it well enough. I currently enjoy it in PvP, but whenever I consider levelling it outside of Frontlines, I just look at the weird arrangement of skills I have at my current level (61 or 62 or something) and kind of don't want to think about it. My DPS main is DRG, and I feel like that's already been enough of a burden to carry without taking on MCH too.

On the topic of Feast, I'm currently flip-flopping on if I should try it. I think what always holds me back is the weird reward scheme and the fact that I don't really know how many games I should commit to playing a week.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Velthice posted:

basically if you're playing drg, mch, smn whatever, you're hosed. I have zero faith in any meaningful changes actually happening whatsoever and I rightfully look down on those who have hope

Counterpoint: 3.0 AST was a worse healer than SMN, and it was pretty good by 3.2 or so!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's so weird that they didn't catch these various gameplay issues with MCH and other jobs in open beta. Crazy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Counterpoint: 3.0 AST was a worse healer than SMN, and it was pretty good by 3.2 or so!

AST was basically just number buffs though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Counter-counterpoint: AST was almost entirely numbers changes, except for swapping Expanded/Extended and changing the effects of Spire/Ewer from % discount to TP Regen/Ewer.

Nothing near what MCH is going to need.

(And I still think that % discount was a better card overall. It actually helped DRKs, and BLMs could occasionally squeeze out an extra Fire 4.)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I get better. Easier?

You can just buy some poo poo and make it, or ask one of your fellow nerds who's leveled every crafter to 70 to do it. As opposed to having to deal with pubbies rolling on the same poo poo, and being required to wait up to 4 weeks to actually get a piece.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
To me, the problem is that the new jobs have a satisfying finale that’s flashy, effective, and pretty foolproof (Kaiten + Midare / Moulinet + Riposte + Zwerchhau). After some relatively straightforward building up of resources, you get to kick back and go “oh yeah” as you watch the big numbers.

By contrast, smn and mch have a more difficult time lining things up just right for Dreadwyrm Trance / Wildfire, and when they do get there the “reward” is even more complicated button mashing. Plus the smn’s egi gets replaced by a more infuriating version, and the mch’s big number is embarrassingly low.

I wish the Flamethrower has ended up as a Midare analogue where after building up heat or whatever I could celebrate by watching my enemies burn, instead of ending up as something you tap for a second in between other abilities as part of finicky heat management.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Flamethrower is absolutely the biggest disappointment for MCH in terms of wasted potential. Hopefully 5.0 will have them remaking the job as a gun-wielding gadgeteer with drills and flamethrowers and lasers and poo poo. And also make them actually fun to play instead of just a bunch of cool spell effects.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So many people forget 2.0 warrior. They vastly revamped that class for 2.1. Likewise there were large changes in I believe 2.5 for dragoon.

I also never had issue with royal authority coming off of savage blade. The change to riot blade is necessary for MP regen, though.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Counter-counterpoint: AST was almost entirely numbers changes, except for swapping Expanded/Extended and changing the effects of Spire/Ewer from % discount to TP Regen/Ewer.

Nothing near what MCH is going to need.

(And I still think that % discount was a better card overall. It actually helped DRKs, and BLMs could occasionally squeeze out an extra Fire 4.)

Perhaps, I don't really know anything about MCH to be honest. It shoots things and looks cool.

One SMN change I had thought of was to give the player the option to use Aethertrail stacks to power Aetherflow abilities. For every use of Aetherflow, you'd have the option to either get three Aetherflow abilties and Dreadwyrm Trance or six Aetherflow abilties: you'd get Dreadwyrm Attunement either way. They'd have to fiddle with numbers, since getting double use of Aetherflow would be a better option than going into DWT 99% of the time as it stands. God knows it would be more dynamic than HIT RUIN and HIT RUIN MORE though.

Far more likely is that they make it so that we can glamour Bahamut-egi into an obsidian carbuncle or something and call it a day.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

It's so weird that they didn't catch these various gameplay issues with MCH and other jobs in open beta. Crazy.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

potency buffs and similar number changes are the only kind of changes se deals in anymore, which worked great for astro then but isn't going to do anything satisfactory for the classes in trouble right now, so I respectfully take your counterpoint and flush it down the toilet where all hope belongs

Mr. Nice! posted:

So many people forget 2.0 warrior. They vastly revamped that class for 2.1.
that was several years ago and I can all but guarantee we'll never see a class reworked like that ever again outside of an expansion. I'd love to be wrong, but nothing since then has shown me that they have will or ability to do so.

quote:

I also never had issue with royal authority coming off of savage blade. The change to riot blade is necessary for MP regen, though.

oh sorry, I didn't know you were disabled.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm wondering if the people calling dragoon fundamentally broken or unfun or whatever only ever play it in dungeons

Dragoon is a good, fun class in long fights like raids and trials. LotD is a lovely, broken mechanic in dungeons. My solution is to raid on drg and not play any DPS in dungeons because gently caress 20m queues

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Velthice posted:

oh sorry, I didn't know you were disabled.

actually gently caress off with this poo poo

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
that was perhaps too harsh, but I know I have had this exact same conversation with Mr. Nice before so i will say, you can a legitimately nice person, which he is, and still have really, really bad opinions about tank balancing, which he does

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
'wrong opinions? about a video game? must be disabled lmao got 'em!' i scream, as the temporal rift returns me to my native timeline where i learned everything i know about human interaction playing quake 3 arena

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
"heh, nothing personnel kid..." I say as I tell people not to have hope about videogames, like a real cool jaded badass :smug:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
'look at this mentally disabled invalid who was okay with an ability comboing off of one i didn't like!' i cry, no doubt a normal person with healthy views on things

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite thing about summoner is how literally everything about the way Bahamut was implemented is terrible.

-Removes your pet, which removes the effect of Rouse and disables Enkindle and all other useful pet abilities, also requires your pet to be alive to summon him for some reason
-Can't cast on his own, instead only casts when you do
-Even then, stops casting every time he has to move, which is every time you move
-You have to use an OGCD to tell him to use Akh Morn rather than it just being a pet ability, but it also won't activate while he's in the middle of casting
-He's enormous and you can't see through him or click through him, and you definitely can't position him
-Causes massive cooldown conflicts with most of your abilities
-Has the word "garbage" instead of a mouth

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

Fister Roboto posted:

My favorite thing about summoner is how literally everything about the way Bahamut was implemented is terrible.

-Removes your pet, which removes the effect of Rouse and disables Enkindle and all other useful pet abilities
-Can't cast on his own, instead only casts when you do
-Even then, stops casting every time he has to move, which is every time you move
-You have to use an OGCD to tell him to use Akh Morn rather than it just being a pet ability, but it also won't activate while he's in the middle of casting
-He's enormous and you can't see through him or click through him, and you definitely can't position him
-Has the word "garbage" instead of a mouth

Bahamut also tips 5% at restaurants, double-parks his H2 at Wal-Mart, and makes racist posts on Facebook.

god i hate him

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Regardless, consider this, whether or not you thought royal authority comboing off of savage blade in heavensward, it did change, and regardless of why people think it changed, it's pretty much universally agreed on that it was a good change. Considering the state of smn mch whatever and how long that change took to make, how confident can people honestly be that there will be even that small positive change for classes in 4.1?

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Also lol, homie don't care about your moral outrage

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
a 'good' change and a 'necessary' change aren't the same thing, but i'll be wholly unshocked if that level of nuance is lost on you

considering like every single instance of a job going from useless to good has been in a non-expansion patch, i'm not even sure where this level of skepticism is coming from

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Velthice posted:

Regardless, consider this, whether or not you thought royal authority comboing off of savage blade in heavensward, it did change, and regardless of why people think it changed, it's pretty much universally agreed on that it was a good change. Considering the state of smn mch whatever and how long that change took to make, how confident can people honestly be that there will be even that small positive change for classes in 4.1?

People have said multiple times in this thread that they have made other drastic changes to classes in numbered patches. Your argument is "Paladin was bad for a while ergo everything will be bad forever and ever" and when countered with "but they made significant changes to other classes" you just sort of keep going "but paladin!"

They may fix it or they may not but there's absolutely no reason to preemptively assume they don't intend to change anything until 5.0 or whatever.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Another thing that's funny is that paladins still have extra enmity as part of their normal dps rotation (circle of scorn and shield swipe), unlike the other tanks who have none.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Another thing that's funny is that paladins still have extra enmity as part of their normal dps rotation (circle of scorn and shield swipe), unlike the other tanks who have none.

Spamming Abyssal Drain 24/7 isn't part of normal rotation?!

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

a 'good' change and a 'necessary' change aren't the same thing, but i'll be wholly unshocked if that level of nuance is lost on you

considering like every single instance of a job going from useless to good has been in a non-expansion patch, i'm not even sure where this level of skepticism is coming from

If you want to argue that an overhaul that happened to one job once some 5(?) years ago is just as likely to happen today when every other change since then has been potency duration buffs which would solve little to nothing right now, then I won't stop you.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Velthice posted:

Also lol, homie don't care about your moral outrage

Look, just because you're salty about them bandaiding classes doesn't mean you get to dump that salt on someone else. There's more than plenty enough salt to go around :colbert:

Royal Authority comboing off Riot Blade was nowhere near as integral to fixing PLD as it was tying mp regen into fueling Holy Spirit bursts.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Countblanc posted:

hey now, data mining is evil! and so are betas. We are honorable Japanese company. Everything must be secret until it is released!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

hey now, data mining is evil! and so are betas. We are honorable Japanese company. Everything must be secret until it is released!

This is a really weird and vaugly lovely comment especially considering that said Japanese company is literally hosting an open beta for a different Final Fantasy game as we speak.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Velthice posted:

If you want to argue that an overhaul that happened to one job once some 5(?) years ago is just as likely to happen today when every other change since then has been potency duration buffs which would solve little to nothing right now, then I won't stop you.

astrologian wasn't five years ago and it wasn't the first job that they overhauled but please, do not allow things like facts to get in the way of your mmo class balance nihilism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm glad ffxiv doesn't have open betas tbh

Blind patch day is absolutely my favorite day of every expansion