Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope Shaft's son's mom can cry pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The first Shaft remake is surprisingly good. And you can pretend Patrick Bateman is the villain too.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

feedmyleg posted:

Oh great, the new Shaft is confirmed to be a comedy. Just what we need right now.

What a fantastically terrible idea that will offer nothing for the franchise, and if anything do a direct service to its legacy by undermining its legitimacy.

Good one, Hollywood!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Electromax posted:

I wonder how early Trump could see Star Wars 8 if he really wanted to.

I cant imagine Disney would do the Encrypted HardDrive Drop via AirForce One, simply on the basis of his orange rear end tweeting out some poo poo he doesnt like
"Lame SJWLadyJedi kills Luke! Jedi were very very bad to nice guy Ren! I would have crushed the rebellion, too many illegal aliens! Need the Coruscant Wall ASAP!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

I cant imagine Disney would do the Encrypted HardDrive Drop via AirForce One, simply on the basis of his orange rear end tweeting out some poo poo he doesnt like
"Lame SJWLadyJedi kills Luke! Jedi were very very bad to nice guy Ren! I would have crushed the rebellion, too many illegal aliens! Need the Coruscant Wall ASAP!"

You do realize that there is a not insignificant number of "conservatives" that view the Rebellion as the bad guys in Star Wars, right?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Iron Crowned posted:

You do realize that there is a not insignificant number of "conservatives" that view the Rebellion as the bad guys in Star Wars, right?

Don't you understand Palpatine was trying to prepare them for the Yuuzhann Vong?! Faaaaaaaaaarrrrt

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Hitler was just trying to prepare the Germans for the Slavic hordes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
You can read almost any Han Solo quote in Donald Trump's voice and it works.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Don't you understand Palpatine was trying to prepare them for the Yuuzhann Vong?! Faaaaaaaaaarrrrt
The new continuity is starting to take an angle like this too. Dark forces congregating in the unknown regions and all that. Not sure if it'll show up in the movies, not sure if it will ultimately turn into a mess.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guy Mann posted:

You can read almost any Han Solo quote in Donald Trump's voice and it works.

I know.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The first Shaft remake is surprisingly good. And you can pretend Patrick Bateman is the villain too.

It's straight up the second best Shaft movie, no contest. If you're keeping score, that means it's actually better than the original Shaft, but just shy of the greatness that is Shaft's Big Score. No, Shaft never went to Africa.

Also, of all the filmmakers who you think would end up doing a new Shaft, you could not possibly have a less interesting choice than Tim Story.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

K. Waste posted:

If you're keeping score, that means it's actually better than the original Shaft

Shut yo mouth

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Iron Crowned posted:

I always thought the conservative perspective was that the rebellion was one of those good rebellions, like the ones Reagan funded in the 80's.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Red Bones posted:

I always thought the conservative perspective was that the rebellion was one of those good rebellions, like the ones Reagan funded in the 80's.

That was the old conservatives, the new ones are just flat out Nazis.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Iron Crowned posted:

Sure, just look at how many jobs the Death Star public works project brought in. Or how unified the core worlds were. Or how big the military was!

Also Cobra Kai Dojo did nothing wrong.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Sure, just look at how many jobs the Death Star public works project brought in. Or how unified the core worlds were. Or how big the military was!

Also Cobra Kai Dojo did nothing wrong.

Speaking of, there's going to be a new Karate Kid movie with Ralph Maccio and Billy Zabka... On YouTube Red.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's a series, and a comedy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh, like a College Humor sketch thing? Ehhhh.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This past weekend was the lowest box office weekend of the summer, I'm sure another round of studios mad at Rotten Tomatoes will be happening soon. Next week is The Nut Job 2 and Annabelle 2 (and The Glass Castle), all of those are probably cheap enough to absorb low box office numbers but the last Annabelle made $37 million opening weekend, almost double what The Dark Tower made this weekend ($19 million)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Supposedly The Dark Tower had a fairly low (for Hollywood) budget. So I could see it eventually being seen as still worth continuing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

as dumb as the prequels were the expanded universe really outdid anything stupid that ol georgie could dream up.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

muscles like this! posted:

Supposedly The Dark Tower had a fairly low (for Hollywood) budget. So I could see it eventually being seen as still worth continuing.

They aren't gonna make more movies when the first was tepid from critics and audiences alike.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Ammanas posted:

They aren't gonna make more movies when the first was tepid from critics and audiences alike.

On the other hand, the Divergent series existed.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

as dumb as the prequels were the expanded universe really outdid anything stupid that ol georgie could dream up.

Didn't they just rip off Dune for that plot point? Because that sure does sound like Leto II preparing the Golden Path for the coming of the Enemy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Young Freud posted:

Didn't they just rip off Dune for that plot point? Because that sure does sound like Leto II preparing the Golden Path for the coming of the Enemy.

IIRC this was not long before Brian Herbert and New Jedi Author/etc. author Kevin J. Anderson collaborated on making those Dune prequels+sequels based on Frank Herbert's notes/unfinished stuff. Between them working together and Star Wars/tons of sci-fi taking stuff from Dune in general that wouldn't surprise me.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC this was not long before Brian Herbert and New Jedi Author/etc. author Kevin J. Anderson collaborated on making those Dune prequels+sequels based on Frank Herbert's notes/unfinished stuff. Between them working together and Star Wars/tons of sci-fi taking stuff from Dune in general that wouldn't surprise me.
KJA left Star Wars prior to any of the NJO books and had no hand in them. His stuff was honestly so much better than the direction the flagship series' were right before the Disney purchase. A KJA book will have a lot of dumb poo poo in it but at least it'll probably fun instead of the grimdark bullshit they started putting out later.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
You're right I mixed up the New Jedi Order with his Jedi Academy trilogy where Luke starts a "new Jedi order." Those were crap but still fun enough pulp like you say. I liked that they referred to/used a lot of stuff from the Tales of the Jedi comics.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

LesterGroans posted:

On the other hand, the Divergent series existed.

And that's the plan for Dark Tower too now I thought? A TV series instead of expensive movies nobody watches.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

feedmyleg posted:

Oh great, the new Shaft is confirmed to be a comedy. Just what we need right now.

Can't we just all agree to watch Black Dynamite a couple times so this doesn't have to happen?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Decius posted:

And that's the plan for Dark Tower too now I thought? A TV series instead of expensive movies nobody watches.

They kept going back and forth on this for years so who knows at this point, especially with it failing. I expect no news for at least two years unless It somehow does amazing or something happens again with The Stand

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They already announced a showrunner for The Dark Tower, didn't they? I heard it's going to be based on Wizard and Glass or something.

Shadowhunters found surprising success as a TV series after the failure of City of Bones (tehehe). It's already 2 seasons with more episodes coming,

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

They already announced a showrunner for The Dark Tower, didn't they? I heard it's going to be based on Wizard and Glass or something.

Shadowhunters found surprising success as a TV series after the failure of City of Bones (tehehe). It's already 2 seasons with more episodes coming,

Shadowhunters is, amazingly enough, a real show and not a Key and Peele sketch created to mock Shadowhunters.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, I think one of the people guilty of Walking Dead is doing it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Kidnap turned out to be a nice little thriller. A lightning strike knocked out power at home so I gave it a watch. I had low expectations because the trailer seemed to focus on Halle delivering lines without a convincing level of passion or intensity. They're in there but balanced out by the rest of it. It's not as good as Breakdown, because Kurt Russell is amazing and that had upper tier vehicular violence. But this had proper tension and it kept coincidences and contrivances just a shade below my limit. Plus, it had one seriously chilling moment giving insight to the kidnap event itself.

Watch it when it gets to video.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

DC Murderverse posted:

Can't we just all agree to watch Black Dynamite a couple times so this doesn't have to happen?

You know, I didn't even think of that when I read the news. What the gently caress is a comedic Shaft movie going to do that Black Dynamite didn't already do, and with more heart?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
King Kong and Planet of the Apes to crossover on comics

quote:

BOOM! Studios' Kong on the Planet of the Apes by writer Ryan Ferrier and artist Carlos Magno will pick up immediately after the events of 1968's original Planet of the Apes film, with Dr. Zaius and General Ursus discovering a Kong and follow a path that leads them to Skull Island.

“There's such a deep mythology to both properties, especially if you consider all of the amazing Kong and Apes comics that have come out in recent years,” said Ferrier. “With this series, we've found a coherent, meaningful way of having these two worlds and their legacies fold into each other. The implications of the Ape civilization discovering the Kong world are huge, and that's certainly on the forefront of the series.”

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

finally, i can get my Hail to the Chimp/ Apes-A-Poppin' shared theatrical universe

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm honestly very surprised that Kong and the Planet of the Apes haven't crossed over yet before.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
There have been a poo poo ton of PotA comic crossovers, including Tarzan, Star Trek and Green Lantern, so this seems like a no brainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gann Jerrod posted:

There have been a poo poo ton of PotA comic crossovers, including Tarzan, Star Trek and Green Lantern, so this seems like a no brainer.

There was even an Apes/Alien Nation crossover comic.

I did not say they made any sense.

• Locked thread