Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

So, I thought this fight was dumb as hell at first. I just rewatched, and like it a lot more. You can tell that Arya isn't blocking or catching Brienne's swings--she's parrying them to the side. The only time she blocks one full force, the sword flies out of her hand. I don't know anything about swordfighting, but I know from boxing that parrying can move power punches aside while blocking is more likely to get ya hurt. Same basic principles seem to apply--she uses slips, parries, and head movement to get inside on Brienne's longer reach.

Edit: There's one other time Arya blocks Brienne flush, and that's what throws her off balance enough to get kicked by Brienne. I thought this scene was so silly at first, but aside from Arya's stupid lil' jump it's a nice piece of choreography.

Cyber Dog fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

kiimo posted:

is this it? I was wondering what the bitch fest would be about this week.

Honestly Arya not having enough training to beat Brienne is as good an argument as any. Dogshit writing, D&D hacks

I think it's more residual dislike of Arya's past two seasons. Arya and the faceless men are both awesome but the plot sucked and we never saw her actually learn to switch faces or fight, she just suddenly could.

This scene was especially jarring cuz it's just like straight waterdancing, we never even got shown if or how the assassins train at fighting. They're sneaky poisoners, not fencers. Arya goes from trainee at both to swordmaster assassin god offscreen.

OTOH we finally have the Arya we've been waiting six years for

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

tooterfish posted:

Nah, he's too stupid.

Davos did it.

Davos would've drawn butterflies and palm trees and shown Missandei.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Y'all please read this stupid reddit link instead of arguing about swords more.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/6s5zz1/everything_some_quick_insight_on_aryas_fighting/

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Honestly I think the most unrealistic thing that has been bothering me about this series is that the tower where Cersei and Jaime were loving conveniently had footholds all over it for Bran to climb on

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

twistedmentat posted:

I actually wonder if Maisie Williams actually did the funky breakdance get up move.

I think that's her hobby in real life.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Lycus posted:

Davos would've drawn butterflies and palm trees and shown Missandei.
Nah. Tyrion and Davos are trying to get these dumb petulant kids to cooperate with each other... so they hatch a plan to get them talking. They both sneak into the cave at night and paint a fairytale on the wall as a joint venture.

That's why the Children of the Forest part is at knee height, and the White Walkers are at eye level...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i thought the arya brienne sword fight was cool as heck

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

fridge corn posted:

i thought the arya brienne sword fight was cool as heck

It managed to cut through my need for realism in sword fights and went right into "this is cool and fun" territory.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cyber Dog posted:

So, I thought this fight was dumb as hell at first. I just rewatched, and like it a lot more. You can tell that Arya isn't blocking or catching Brienne's swings--she's parrying them to the side. The only time she blocks one full force, the sword flies out of her hand. I don't know anything about swordfighting, but I know from boxing that parrying can move power punches aside while blocking is more likely to get ya hurt. Same basic principles seem to apply--she uses slips, parries, and head movement to get inside on Brienne's longer reach.

Edit: There's one other time Arya blocks Brienne flush, and that's what throws her off balance enough to get kicked by Brienne. I thought this scene was so silly at first, but aside from Arya's stupid lil' jump it's a nice piece of choreography.

Yeah, like I said you have to nitpick to even find anything wrong with it. Overall a good scene, especially with Sansa and Littlefinger's reactions cut in, that was well done.

whalestory posted:

Honestly I think the most unrealistic thing that has been bothering me about this series is that the tower where Cersei and Jaime were loving conveniently had footholds all over it for Bran to climb on

Eh, old fashioned stone and mortar construction would make it way more reasonable than modern buildings. And we are told that he's always climbing places he shouldn't so its not crazy that he could get up there, especially since he lives there. He could have climbed up there before, maybe even dug little hand holds or something.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
So, is Davos Jon's hand now?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Y'all please read this stupid reddit link instead of arguing about swords more.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/6s5zz1/everything_some_quick_insight_on_aryas_fighting/

quote:

Her footwork could be a bit better here and throughout

Told you.

Like we said, its mostly good. But if I were to nitpick, her footwork is slow and or non-existent when it should be the primary focus of her fighting style. She should have moved much more, but almost nobody expects that and audiences want to see sword on sword clangs so hey whatever.

Don't think just because we're discussing it means we're all :argh: about it. Not all show discussion is argument or criticism. I think everybody in this thread is mostly positive to completely positive on that scene. You don't really need to go "Hey nerds stop arguing and check out this reddit post"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

More like chief advisor.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My favorite part of the episode was when they talked about grain supplies and travel times.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Kings in the North always seem like they're more willing to get their hands dirty and know the ins and outs of issues so they might not need a hand like the lazy or insane Kings of Westeros or the extremely dumb Queen Danerys.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

This is what happens when you let a woman be the Mother of Dragons.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Not only did Jon make the drawing, he did it because when he came back to life he actually came back as a new kind of White Walker that's trying to trick Dany into bringing her Dragons over the wall so they can be claimed by the Night's King.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah, sad to learn again once again the tactics are sub par.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What is this dogshit link

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Raxivace posted:

Not only did Jon make the drawing, he did it because when he came back to life he actually came back as a new kind of White Walker that's trying to trick Dany into bringing her Dragons over the wall so they can be claimed by the Night's King.

That is such a Vince Russo swerve that I would unironically be excited to see it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The fallout would be unreal

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You idiot spergs arguing about the Arya/Brienne scene are the worst. Please also complain about the teleportation some more as well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The cave paintings were unrealistic because real cave paintings are full of dick drawings

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is Tarly Dad alive?

I can't see him dying anywhere on screen but I feel like Dickon's going to be the bigger character moving forward since they bothered to recast and introduce him again. I guess we'll find out.

Also, on a rewatch you actually get to see Tarly soldiers with bowman sigils and all, for like 2 seconds in the whole episode. I love the season but I think ten episodes and more scenes to set up the stakes for each of the four battles we've had would have been great. I always figured Tarly had Reach soldiers in tow and that's how Highgarden fell so easily frex but all they really give us to support that is a two-second shot.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
There`s been a lot of joking about Jon doing the paintings himself, but how did Children of the Forest paintings end up on dragon glass?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You idiot spergs arguing about the Arya/Brienne scene are the worst. Please also complain about the teleportation some more as well.

The energies released in the Euron teleportation scene would destroy Casterly Rock and the entire region much less the Targaryen fleet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
how did Arya get from the Riverlands to the North in one episode when it took her a whole season to get from the Riverlands to the Vale

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Because the Hound slowed her down, he stopped at every KFC on the way.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cyber Dog posted:

Not just water dancing, you can catch a few quick bits here and there of Arya thrusting for the vital points exactly like the Hound showed her.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

They referenced the Lascaux cave paintings in the discussion.

Can you imagine if the cave paintings looked this fresh

That looks like it was drawn five minutes ago but it was drawn 20,000 loving years ago.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

how did Arya get from the Riverlands to the North in one episode when it took her a whole season to get from the Riverlands to the Vale

Time per episode isn't consistent and doesn't need to be, so that makes no sense.

All time is relative. The only issue is if in the time it takes Arya to get to the North Euron manages to circumnavigate the ---- hm :cheeky:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

kiimo posted:

That looks like it was drawn five minutes ago but it was drawn 20,000 loving years ago.

Speaking of cave drawlings

Hmmmm

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Arya was staright up trained by the master of the men without facesFaceless Men oops, Jaqen H'ghar, of course she's gonna be able to take on any old gently caress. A reminder that he took out an entire Lannister guard regiment to get Arya the gently caress out.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 8, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

kiimo posted:

I'm surprised Disney hasn't tried to sue tbh.

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.

zoux posted:

always the artists

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Vintersorg posted:

Arya was staright up trained by the master of the men without facesFaceless Men oops, Jaqen H'ghar, of course she's gonna be able to take on any old gently caress. A reminder that he took out an entire Lannister guard regiment to get Arya the gently caress out.

How much can you really learn when your training consists of getting beat with a stick?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

some guy on the bus posted:

How much can you really learn when your training consists of getting beat with a stick?

Here is a reminder that her training montage includes her stick fighting as a blind person. So presumably with sight she would be able to not get her rear end kicked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBue47iGonM

And that she is not completely useless against someone who was trained by Jaqen H'Gar during her development.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1KGyHQrfls

JaySB fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 8, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Perestroika posted:

There are a couple of things that would be a meaningful innovation above what they knew:
-Making it pintle-mounted so that it can rotate quickly and shoot upwards.
-Making it compact and lightweight enough to be easily carried in a wagon
-Simplifying it to the point where a single guy can assemble and ready it in a couple of seconds
-Increasing its power (note the additional pair of arms up top) to the point where it can shoot a heavy projectile fast enough that you have some hope of hitting an airborne target.

Given Scorpions got used a whole lot in real life (along with Carroballistas and stuff) as smaller scale siege weaponry, the fact the Lannisters only had one in a secret drop-away card was kind of a surprise.

Like a later-day Roman army could have probably fielded a few dozen of the things, and they weren't exactly dealing with dragons, rather easily.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vintersorg posted:

He killed like 5 guys tops. If that's what the Lannisters consider a regiment..

zoux posted:

Hmmmm

Now THAT is a cool catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

some guy on the bus posted:

Seems to work very well in any number of martial arts movies?

• Locked thread