Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

*runs in from 9 pages ago*

unsurprisingly I downloaded that book and found no such quote

repeat this for every holocaust-denier meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

cumshitter posted:

not atual character sheets but he does a bullet point listing of things men are good at and things women are better at. stuff like "men are driven by status" and "women want more work-life balance" and poo poo.

beep boop all people of specific genders and races are stereotypes beep boop

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
I think it's hard to underscore how stupidly heavy this Jordan Peterson influence is and how... dumb it all is. The reddit comments on the Google thing are dripping with that poo poo. I think I found my trigger and the trigger is braindead definitions of whatever they think postmodernism is.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

beep boop all people of specific genders and races are stereotypes beep boop

To be fair to him, he talks about how he's against that idea because of population overlap:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I think it's hard to underscore how stupidly heavy this Jordan Peterson influence is and how... dumb it all is. The reddit comments on the Google thing are dripping with that poo poo. I think I found my trigger and the trigger is braindead definitions of whatever they think postmodernism is.

Yeah no it really is 85% Jordan Peterson and 15% right-libertarian Silicon Valley.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Jordan Peterson has become the new du jour rational-calculator-thinker-man who flatters the preconceptions of white salarymen

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i guess this dustup explains that creepy google pro-ai article i stumbled into

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i have no clue who jordan peterson is and i dont want to find out

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is it regressive for me to say I don't want us to make an AI smart enough that we ethically have to give it rights

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
like even assuming all his biotruths about men and women are generally true google hires individuals and knows who theyre investing resources into. they arent training people who wander in off the street

also i had never heard about jordan peterson until now. hes basically a legit science guy who wandered off into redpill territory?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

cumshitter posted:

like even assuming all his biotruths about men and women are generally true google hires individuals and knows who theyre investing resources into. they arent training people who wander in off the street

also i had never heard about jordan peterson until now. hes basically a legit science guy who wandered off into redpill territory?

its almost as in a company makes a decision when they hire a person

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

cumshitter posted:

He's always been right-wing, but yeah.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

people really think that there's just ambient employees floating out there in the ether and all you have to do is fling the door to your business open and they'll come to you

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is it regressive for me to say I don't want us to make an AI smart enough that we ethically have to give it rights

i just want an ai to exterminate us already -_-

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

cumshitter posted:

Oh yeah and he addresses this by blaming affirmative action, saying Google's use of it means they're not hiring individuals anymore.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

it's not regressive as such but it does mean the future jupiter brain is going to torture a million reconstructed mindclones of you for eternity

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

cumshitter posted:

His argument style is derivative early 2000s atheism autofellatio and his goal is to make people feel attacked by ~DiVeRsItY~ so that they feel the need to defend free speech. He'll gladly namedrop Baudrillard long enough to define a term, misinterpret it completely, and use it as a fulcrum to say that divisive postmodernism foisted upon us by reactionary feminist leaders is making us regress, not progress.

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017
peterson is actually religious though iirc?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Al! posted:

i have no clue who jordan peterson is and i dont want to find out

He's a Joseph Campbell wannabe who is applying the hero cycle to society and politics.

E:

and i must meme posted:

My take is that he believes in Religion but not so much in God. He believes that the symbolism found in Religion are powerful tools of personal and societal control. The more we get away from religion the more untethered we are from the symbology that held civilization together and that all of this will lead to chaos and despair.

Montasque has issued a correction as of 22:28 on Aug 8, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think there's something to be said for postmodernism feeding into the social-justice witch hunts (look up the flame wars over YA books) but Peterson as early-2000s atheism autofellatio reborn is right. Atheist or not it's just the style that rings true.

From what I understand though postmodernism and "reality is the product of consciousness" type stuff has already been fading away in the philosophy community. It's not well equipped to handle climate change, say. Trump even is a kind of super-duper-postmodern president.

Ghostship
Jan 26, 2006

I'm from a pretty liberal area of the country and it's shocking how many people I've seen going down the Jordan Peterson (and similar) rabbit hole. I blame most of it on the Joe Rogan podcast. I used to listen to it a lot when it was more or less just stoner/mma/comedy talk. Over the last couple years it's been going further and further right and I fear it's taking a lot of people with it.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

The far-right have weaponized post-modernism, even though they claim they are fighting it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Montasque posted:

My take is that he believes in Religion but not so much in God. He believes that the symbolism found in Religion are powerful tools of personal and societal control. The more we get away from religion the more untethered we are from the symbology that held civilization together and that all of this will lead to chaos and despair.

i don't get it, sounds like he'd be a big fan of identity politics then

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
air bnb cancelled a bunch of reservations for the alt right rally in charlottesville

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

and i must meme posted:

The first round of internet atheism had little to do with atheism. As a group it was mostly about a bunch of people getting high off of feeling really smug about thinking they had some sort of privileged insights into the world that other people didn't have. Now instead of those being privileged insights about the nature of God, it's privileged insights about the nature of humanity.

I do think there is a huge bone to pick with postmodernism. I think authors like David Foster Wallace that feel that postmodernism eroded sincerity are attacking it from a much more lucid angle. I do think that the memetic nihilism of 2000s-era commoditized postmodernism paved the road for fools like Peterson to misinterpret the isolation, loneliness, and helplessness that a lot of people feel (especially men that are told that they should own the world).

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

To be fair to him, he talks about how he's against that idea because of population overlap:

He shows that picture and then bitches about diversity hires for a few pages. The dude believes the second picture, not the first. If you recognize that there is significant overlap you'll never be annoyed by having to work with women because odds are you're just as lovely of a worker as they are.

His stupid rear end memo was 10 pages of "I'm not a sexist, but. . . " layered between bullet points and whining about how men have it worse and how "diversity" hires are suspect.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Al! posted:

i don't get it, sounds like he'd be a big fan of identity politics then

He's all about ID pol.

That's all he has.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Darkman Fanpage posted:

air bnb cancelled a bunch of reservations for the alt right rally in charlottesville

owns

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

someone get jeet a maga hat and a pepe, he's goin to ""free" "speech"" town

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/894738054421676032

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

omg lol

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/894755030863028224

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
philosophy is generally over my head but one philosopher who i've responded to is sartwell, who studied under rorty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDyZd-QbZeI

quote:

I have some news to break to you. We are not the stories we tell. This world is not a narrative. We did not construct this universe or ourselves or one another by weaving a tapestry of words. We do yap ceaselessly, but it usually amounts to next to nothing. We cannot make a new world by re-narrating or getting control of the signs; we can only make a collective delusion, and not even that, because the thing is too flimsy to delude. Words have power indeed in this account: the power to create worlds! a power not even Odin or Zeus could claim. Wait remind me how you reached this conclusion? because I never could quite figure that out even when I heard Richard Rorty do the schtick.

My view is that racism became unconscious when white people started thinking that racism was a matter of what words we use. We ditched all the bad words, and were innocent, and the structural racism of the country just went right on, or even intensified. You have got to learn from that, alright? Making people talk in some prescribed way just makes reality and representation, the real deal and the narrative, come apart completely. That is what you are demanding.

Remember when you were going to ban fake news? It was right-wing propaganda that was destroying our very concept of truth, blahblahblah. It took 30 seconds for 'fake news' to be appropriated by the right. Your enemy took your gun and pistol-whipped you with it. In general, all the mechanisms of social control, formal and informal, that you are instituting and want to institute can be reversed on you suddenly, and make you an enemy of the people, a traitor, etc. Your goals are different than your opponents'; your procedures the same. They will be visited upon you.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

:thunk:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

jeet has had a pretty spectacular fall from grace in the last few months lol

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

philosophy is generally over my head but one philosopher who i've responded to is sartwell, who studied under rorty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDyZd-QbZeI

This is good poo poo thank you for linking it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

shartwell

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
sartwell can fart well
but jimmy carter is smarter

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

D&D doesn't give any bonuses or penalties for gender :eng101:

D&D :biotruths: is actually, depressingly, a thing.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ghostship posted:

I blame most of it on the Joe Rogan podcast. I used to listen to it a lot when it was more or less just stoner/mma/comedy talk. Over the last couple years it's been going further and further right and I fear it's taking a lot of people with it.

What the hell makes joe rogan right at all? He's all about some very left policies. Also very left on social issues too.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Jeb! Repetition posted:

D&D doesn't give any bonuses or penalties for gender :eng101:

it used to women got str penalties and cha bonuses -and in some additional supplements the game broke down charisma and comeliness as separate stats, because giving women a bonus to personality didn't make as much sense as just making them hot!
still has racial stats and best classes tho! and base settings/many editions have inherently evil races and classes

stormfront at least a few years ago was full of brokebrain folks trying to reflavor D&D to use the real world races and do stuff like go "Oh yeah a mongol would get +2 to con, +2 to int -2 to per, an Aryan gets +1 to everything, and no wizardhitler, I'm not including your Irishman subrace that gets -4 int, +2 to con but a +5 to all alcohol and poison saves!" our own TG forum mined some of the terrible quotes of that poo poo.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 23:31 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

What the hell makes joe rogan right at all? He's all about some very left policies. Also very left on social issues too.

joe is, uh, very open to having actual real pieces of poo poo that happen to be stuffed in human skin on his show.