Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

North Korea didn't send nudes

"I said NUDES not NUKES goddamnit what have you done"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JasonV posted:

Trump's nuclear war is going to be link his Trans-ban. He's going to tweet at someone to make it happen and the military is going to say "Yeah, that's not actually happening... " and then he's going to go golfing and forget about it.

The Trans ban was codified into law earlier this week.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMlWKn2eFoY

Live on opiods.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xae posted:

The North Korean leadership's primary objective is to stay in power.

Using a nuke on another country runs contrary to this objective.

Everyone please stop making GBS threads your pants over a little existential dread. The next meal you eat or time you skip the gym will have a much bigger impact on your health than North Korea.

You're mistaking the concerns about "the power crazed maniac with nukes" as about NK.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Does North Korea have any allies that would fight with them if it gets to that point?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I mean any country deranged enough to freely elect someone like Donald Trump their leader probably deserves to be destroyed.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kellyanne go away

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

The Trans ban was codified into law earlier this week.

Except it wasn't "codified into law" since it isn't a law, but the interpretation of a law, a meaningful difference.

Also do you have a source for what the final DoD policy is? I wasn't able to find one in a few minutes of googling.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Kellyanne Conway looks like she's been awake for a week.
:whitewater:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

TGLT posted:

I was curious and looked it up, and it looks like there's two predicted ranges? David Wright from the Union of Concerned Scientists puts it at Chicago, Michael Elleman of the International Institute for Strategic Studies puts it at LA, and neither are sure how that would change with a heavier payload. I don't know the reputations of any of this though, but either way that does sound a bit further than I last heard.

Although yeah, regardless of who they do or don't hit it's going to be a pretty loving horrific loss of life before they get toppled. And chances seem good Trump would like to drop a nuke of his own in retaliation which is not a precedent we want to be set.

I think I heard eastern seaboard on Arms Control Wonk podcast. Anyway, the western coast and Chicago is more than enough targets.

FWIW I think the nuclear taboo's gonna be "okay" if a major American city is turned into an inferno and the conflict doesn't escalate into more nukes from there, because everyone will have time to see, absorb and understand the enormity and cruelty of what has happened. My worry with the nuclear taboo is tactical use against someone like ISIS, because people simply aren't gonna care about ISIS getting nuked with a small-yield device at the same level as they will about Los Angeles getting nuked.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

mcmagic posted:

So we're gonna be in a war with North Korea for no loving reason whatsoever. Great.

No reason?

I'm not supporting Trump or a act of war with North Korea, but unless I'm mistaken, North Korea has violated every resolution the United Nations has brought against them, each one specifically designed to constrain their ability to develop their nuclear weapons program.

Again, I don't support attacking North Korea (the fallout in South Korea alone would be disastrous) but their actions only continue to put the US and the rest of the world in worse positions.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

mcmagic posted:

I mean any country deranged enough to freely elect someone like Donald Trump their leader probably deserves to be destroyed.

The country didn't elect Donald Trump, but an argument could be made about getting everyone from the electoral college into a field and nuking that.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/894789791685935104/photo/1

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I hope the "exchanges" leak and turn out to be pathetic attempts by Trump to get the investigation dropped and Mueller responding with variations on "this is inappropriate please stop"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:wow:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

KickerOfMice posted:

Kellyanne Conway looks like she's been awake for a week.
:whitewater:

She generally looks like someone who lives on black coffee, cocaine, and bitterness.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Dude. Chill. Please? You're good. I'm good. There's some bad poo poo going on but panicking is absolutely not the way to go. Do you have family or friends nearby? But doubly nice to them, make sure they've got someone to talk to. If you function positively and constructively then you're doing more than most people. The weight of the world isn't on your shoulders. A frustrated friend is. The dirty dishes piled up are. Life is mundane and it's easier to worry about things out of your control than it is to work on the little things. I've had to take steps back into reality like this and I think it would be a wise choice for you as well.

e: I actually thought this post was Willo but yeah, it's free advice

No, but like I said, I am feeling utterly calm. Thanks for your concern.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Wish I was.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mister Adequate posted:

Realtalk the risk isn't that North Korea flattens the US, even in an absolute worst-case scenario they might take out like two cities, which is... you know, horrific, but losing Anchorage and Seattle is in no way terminal. The risks are that A) people throwing nukes around gets someone with a lot more nukes (China or Russia) involved, or B) that people throwing nukes around normalizes nuke use going forwards.

Why wouldn't they just take out LA?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I mean anyone who thinks that the problem is that North Korea might nuke us is an idiot.

The problem is that Trump views foreign policy as a show of dominance and strength and thinks nukes are just the yugest shows of strength, and it would be simpler to just use them than all this wussy diplomacy poo poo. He's your racist uncle asking why we didn't just glass Iraq in 2003, but actually with the nuclear codes now.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Dude. Chill. Please? You're good. I'm good. There's some bad poo poo going on but panicking is absolutely not the way to go. Do you have family or friends nearby? But doubly nice to them, make sure they've got someone to talk to. If you function positively and constructively then you're doing more than most people. The weight of the world isn't on your shoulders. A frustrated friend is. The dirty dishes piled up are. Life is mundane and it's easier to worry about things out of your control than it is to work on the little things. I've had to take steps back into reality like this and I think it would be a wise choice for you as well.

e: I actually thought this post was Willo but yeah, it's free advice

I'm a lot calmer now, thanks

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Your Taint posted:

Seattle is much closer

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

When they find my charred skeleton in the rubble of what used to be my office I hope I'm in a position of dignity

And yes, I do know that the dude wasn't jerking off, but his arms and legs contracted to that position. That just proves the point FURTHER.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Don't kill Seattle, that place is pretty cool

There's this one place that does nice crepes

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I wonder if this was before the North Korea stuff today.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The country didn't elect Donald Trump, but an argument could be made about getting everyone from the electoral college into a field and nuking that.

You're mincing words. We have a political system that can result in someone like that becoming President.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm just going to get the highlights. If I have to watch Conway and Price talk about opioids, I'm going to end up taking them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean anyone who thinks that the problem is that North Korea might nuke us is an idiot.

The problem is that Trump views foreign policy as a show of dominance and strength and thinks nukes are just the yugest shows of strength, and it would be simpler to just use them than all this wussy diplomacy poo poo. He's your racist uncle asking why we didn't just glass Iraq in 2003, but actually with the nuclear codes now.

Had to quote this for truth. There is ZERO chance that NK nukes the US preemptively.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
haha tom price trying the just walk away from the podium presser ender but he goes back for an encore about medicare

Bicyclops posted:

I'm just going to get the highlights. If I have to watch Conway and Price talk about opioids, I'm going to end up taking them.

it was super boring and they didnt' say anything of note except they're not going to declare a state of emergency

also it just ended

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Yeah. Losing 2 cities for no good reason whatsoever. Not that big of a deal...

I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Depending on the breaks.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

mcmagic posted:

You're mincing words. We have a political system that can result in someone like that becoming President.

Right, I'm more taking issue with the term "freely elect" when you have the bullshit sham of the US electoral process where one person wins by three million votes and then actually loses because reasons.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Your Taint posted:

Oh I just named the first two places in the northwest I thought of, California could easily be a target as well. But as far as NK is concerned, we don't know their exact capabilities but once we factor in weight and targeting matters, they'd be smart to point them at the closer targets.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I know this guy is just a level or two below Mensch, but this seems like something Trump's & his legal team might try...

https://twitter.com/TeaPainUSA/status/895023286819708928

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You're dumb.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Right, I'm more taking issue with the term "freely elect" when you have the bullshit sham of the US electoral process where one person wins by three million votes and then actually loses because reasons.

Really dumb.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Nice counterargument

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

highme posted:

I know this guy is just a level or two below Mensch, but this seems like something Trump's & his legal team might try...

Makes sense. Talk about the need for confidentiality and trust, so when Trump's team leaks it themselves, they can say Mueller betrayed that and should be fired.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

highme posted:

You lost me at "foller".

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Discussions of North Korea's nuclear range are academic, they aren't going to first strike.

Literally the entire focus here should be on preventing Trump from turning the standard song and dance of dealing with North Korea's dumb bullshit into an international incident or war because he doesn't understand politics at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

True, but any electoral system where the popular vote is treated as nothing more than a trivia point is not legitimate. Trump's election will always have an asterisk next to it.

• Locked thread