Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

I blame GW for ruining like 2 generations of game designers.

Didn't cmon used to be way into gw anyway? Not surprising they would cop their lovely rear end rules & design from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Super 3 posted:

Anyone here play test or get any impressions of the CMON GOT up now? I didn't see much commentary except someone mentioning it was 'lovely' but not much context.

I will offer lovely with no context also.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hauki posted:

Didn't cmon used to be way into gw anyway? Not surprising they would cop their lovely rear end rules & design from time to time.

CMON used to be the place to display all your GW stuff, which is why when I got really into boardgaming and minis again these past couple years, I was really surprised their role changed from just an imageboard to a supplier.

Super 3 posted:

Anyone here play test or get any impressions of the CMON GOT up now? I didn't see much commentary except someone mentioning it was 'lovely' but not much context.

It's Runewars minis but much, much worse. It looks to have the same mechanics of "squaring up" (in RW or KOW), has something about initiative that may be similar, and it has magic powers reskinned as off-map politics. If the initiative stuff isn't variable like it is with runewars, then it's just straight up an inferior version of kings of war instead.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Thanks for the comments, I was drawn in by the plastic mans.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm pondering Who Goes There? because I'm a huge sucker for The Thing. The trouble is, the KS is doing that thing where there's a bunch of tiers with different add-ons meaning you have to spend a large amount to get all the different parts. :argh:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why does it cost $40 to add 4 new playable characters? Like I'm fairly certain you can buy BSG and one or two of its expansions for the cost of the "full" game?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bombadilillo posted:

Literal Roll and Move in a strategic miniatures game

Sword and the Flame is the granddaddy of colonial wargaming and it has roll and move for charges. Of course, that actually works with their card-based activation system.

In sad KS news, the 3rd edition of Web & Starship is now officially closed due to the death of the project lead. Refunds were issued though, so not a total loss (other than poor Stephen Wieck).

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

The_Doctor posted:

I'm pondering Who Goes There? because I'm a huge sucker for The Thing. The trouble is, the KS is doing that thing where there's a bunch of tiers with different add-ons meaning you have to spend a large amount to get all the different parts. :argh:

This project does nearly everything people hate about board game kickstarters and yet it has still made $500k

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Deceptive Thinker posted:

This project does nearly everything people hate about board game kickstarters and yet it has still made $500k

Frustrating, isn't it?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

The game looks just bad. But I am still tempted because its an awesome theme for a hidden roll game. And there are some cool ideas in there. Its just bloated and purposely gimped unless you spend a poo poo load and a 2 hour game always comes down to a diceroll with modifiers.

Yet people encourage that behavior.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
If anything I would just use the GoT miniatures to play Kings of War, but even then I'm not exactly blown away by the sculpts.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Instead of backing Who Goes There just print your own copy of The Thing .

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I was considering Who Goes There until I scrolled down and saw that it has zero female player characters. I guess I'll just keep my luxury money to myself then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HazCat posted:

I was considering Who Goes There until I scrolled down and saw that it has zero female player characters. I guess I'll just keep my luxury money to myself then.

To be fair, the original story has zero female characters. John Carpenter's The Thing is one of the best movies ever made and the only female character is Adrienne Barbeau voicing a chess computer.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Jedit posted:

To be fair, the original story has zero female characters. John Carpenter's The Thing is one of the best movies ever made and the only female character is Adrienne Barbeau voicing a chess computer.

To be fair, it's 2017, and 'no girls' is not what anyone normal thinks of when making a list of 'things that are awesome about The Thing franchise'.

I can guarantee you there's plenty of stuff they haven't kept true to the original book, and their decision to keep the sexism is enough for me to decide I don't want to purchase their product.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

HazCat posted:

To be fair, it's 2017, and 'no girls' is not what anyone normal thinks of when making a list of 'things that are awesome about The Thing franchise'.

I can guarantee you there's plenty of stuff they haven't kept true to the original book, and their decision to keep the sexism is enough for me to decide I don't want to purchase their product.

In a board game, sure, but there are actually good thematic reasons for the film to have an all-male cast. In the same way a movie featuring only women in a horror situation would have a different kind of thematic meaning, having all men in the thing produces a different kind of meeting.

A board game of course might as well have representation.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

The FAQ posted:

AN ALL MALE CAST??? WHY NO LADIES?!?!

Jesse decided to answer this one in the comments:
I am truly sorry if its a deal breaker by not having a female character but I wont be adding any. When working on Ash to Bone (which y'all are going to totally dig) I got the same smack because the two main characters were both female.
Look, you're talking to someone who gets crap all the time for ALWAYS choosing female characters when I play ANY games BUT in this case, I like the story's built tension of the lab being overrun with big burly men in a paranoid outpost...so by gosh golly....that's how I created this game.
Also...I happen to find Van Wall VERY sexy!

:lol:

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Thing prequel had women in it.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Serf posted:

The Thing prequel had women in it.

The original crew in the book also has 37 people, and only 16 of them are named characters.

I'm not saying they need to change anything, I'm just saying the lack of women is absolutely the main reason I'm not buying it. I wouldn't watch a modern movie adaptation of the book with no female characters in it either :shrug:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Atlas Hugged posted:

If anything I would just use the GoT miniatures to play Kings of War, but even then I'm not exactly blown away by the sculpts.

That's what I'm planning to do with rising sun. The game looks like a weird mash of Senji and Cyclades and will probably be mediocre at best, like blood rage.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You know what really helps your case?

Getting this complaint and going 'no actually it was not just an oversight, THIS IS MY INTENDED VISION, gently caress OFF'

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

HazCat posted:

The original crew in the book also has 37 people, and only 16 of them are named characters.

I'm not saying they need to change anything, I'm just saying the lack of women is absolutely the main reason I'm not buying it. I wouldn't watch a modern movie adaptation of the book with no female characters in it either :shrug:

I don't care if there are no women, but it better have a better narrative reason then. "I didn't want it, and I've done girl games before so I karmicly get to"

FFXV, boys on a coming of age road trip, I can get behind that. Only men being gruff enough to survive this harsh environment. Dumb.

Edit: Actually, If he just said "That's my vision for the game" Whatever, you do you. People can not buy it if they don't want. Its the "I did a girl thing before so now I get to do this" that rubs me the wrong way.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 8, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it'd be dumb but 'meh, this is what I wanted' is at least an answer.

'I did a girl game now it's a boy game' is the dumbest answer.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

These are the girls he designed for his girl game.

He is very proud of them.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

'I did a girl game now it's a boy game' is the dumbest answer.

In fairness, I think his answer was actually "I did a game where the source material was all female and didn't change one to male, now I'm doing one where the source material is all male and I'm not changing one to female. This is consistency."

That falls apart, however, since as HazCat pointed out there's 21 unnamed characters who easily could've been used to get some representation into the game.

Edit: This isn't even going into the disparate need for male vs female representation in media in general.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

HazCat posted:

These are the girls he designed for his girl game.

He is very proud of them.

The one on the right's a pretty cool design.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the one on the left is pedo bondage

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Falstaff posted:

The one on the right's a pretty cool design.

Yea not gonna lie 'magician who's focus is a weird glowing lamp' is one of my favorite hardly used aesthetics.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I don't understand why more people don't go for the A side B side character cards where the A side is a woman and the B side a dude. Seems relatively cheap to do (get some alt art).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I don't understand why more people don't go for the A side B side character cards where the A side is a woman and the B side a dude. Seems relatively cheap to do (get some alt art).

I mean maybe that's an improvement but it's still forcing players to make a binary gender choice

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I mean maybe that's an improvement but it's still forcing players to make a binary gender choice

uhh whats to keep you from flipping it midgame?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah but...there are only two genders? You canīt really expand beyond binary unless you wanna go into fantasy territory. Which I mean, sure, itīs "The Thing The Game", go for it, I guess?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

oh god please no

please don't do this everyone

just let it go

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
:munch:

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Mr.Misfit posted:

Yeah but...there are only two genders? You canīt really expand beyond binary unless you wanna go into fantasy territory.

Here, let Teen Vogue teach you a little bit about gender.

(Also, speaking as a nonbinary person, I am super happy to be a fantasy hero if and only if I get caster levels out of it.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr.Misfit posted:

Yeah but...there are only two genders? You canīt really expand beyond binary unless you wanna go into fantasy territory. Which I mean, sure, itīs "The Thing The Game", go for it, I guess?

You're thinking of sexes. Sex and gender aren't the same thing.

(And technically, there aren't two of those either, depending on how you classify individuals with intersex characteristics.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 9, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think it's more that this is more of an unlicensed "The Thing" boardgame than actually based on the book.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

You're thinking of sexes.

There are two sexes.... or are there??

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The baby was fine — but follow-up tests had revealed something astonishing about the mother. Her body was built of cells from two individuals, probably from twin embryos that had merged in her own mother's womb. And there was more. Every piece of the baby is an individual organism with its own survival instinct. One by one, MacReady tests everyone's blood with a heated piece of copper wire. Everyone is still human except the baby, whose blood flees from the hot wire. Exposed, she transforms and infects Windows, forcing MacReady to burn them both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

inklesspen posted:

Here, let Teen Vogue teach you a little bit about gender.

(Also, speaking as a nonbinary person, I am super happy to be a fantasy hero if and only if I get caster levels out of it.)

Honey, in fantasy territory, you can get whatever you want.
Also, that sounds interesting, if a bit like something of a social fad.

Lemon-Lime posted:

You're thinking of sexes. Sex and gender aren't the same thing.

Ahhh. I see. Learn something new every day, I suppose.