Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

I shot you an invite.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any tips for leveling as a Nightblade?

I tend to play this solo and I seemed to make it to the early 20s and then I just feel like I've hit a bit of a wall. I'm fine against mobs but I just seem to get absolutely shredded against a lot of the named enemies. An example is the end boss of the Skinstealer's Lair quest in Shadowfen. I just can't seem to keep my health up long enough to take them down.

I've gone the dual wielding, medium armour, stamina heavy route (with occasional attribute points in health). I'm currently level 6 and the skills I'm rolling with at the moment are Ambush III, Twin Slashes IV, Surprise Attack III, Bloodthirst I and Killer's Blade III, with Incapacitating Strike I as my ultimate, though I've also been dabbling with trying other spells like Swallow Soul or Shadowy Disguise.

I know with the new level-balanced content I can just hop from zone to zone but I'd also like to learn how to get good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
All that's good, Bloodthirst Bloodthirst Bloodthirst. It's your spam attack and heal. I'll try to hook you up with a new outfit too.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.
After being away from ESO for nearly three years, I'm really interested to see everything that's changed since a couple of months after launch. The OP has been read and I've done the good goon thing and joined the Discord channel. I'm likely being a bit of a bumbling returning player, however I would like an invite to hang with chill bros

NA PC @Corzen

Also, I was thinking of starting with this Dragonknight build. So any advice would be very very welcome.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
People tend to either have no alts or a lot of them. To me it's worth it to plan out potential characters ahead of time and just make them. Throw them a few thousand gold and get to horse training.

I've also just bought crowns for the first time in about a year in order to get an additional character slot...

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Rough Lobster posted:

People tend to either have no alts or a lot of them. To me it's worth it to plan out potential characters ahead of time and just make them.

My problem is that I was overthinking the game too much. I liked playing my Templar, I always liked playing my Templar. I was just concerned by too many things that absolutely have no relevance to my current enjoyment of the game.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Kryopsis posted:

You sure have a lot of Nightblades, @Scyantific.

So the character I enjoyed playing the most is the Redguard Templar but what exactly are my options, end-game? From what I understand, Templars are middling DPS and tanks, being only good at healing. Given that my character is a Redguard, going magicka doesn't make much sense.

Magicka templars are awesome, and if you aren't out of your 20s yet, you may just want to roll a new one? Or drop some crowns and get a race token (Altmer>>>>>>)

Edit: Both magplars, because stamplars are yucky.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 8, 2017

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Magplars are pretty weak on the damage front compared to other classes, but nice in the heal department.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

JackBadass posted:

Magplars are pretty weak on the damage front compared to other classes, but nice in the heal department.

That's true. It really comes down to what you want from your Templar. Stamplars are pretty much strictly dps these days, while magplars can go the strictly DPS route if they want, or heal/buff/support in groups and still have decent DPS on the side (and respecing is cheap if you ever want to change your focus, since you just have to redo CP and morphs).

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Corzen posted:

After being away from ESO for nearly three years, I'm really interested to see everything that's changed since a couple of months after launch. The OP has been read and I've done the good goon thing and joined the Discord channel. I'm likely being a bit of a bumbling returning player, however I would like an invite to hang with chill bros

NA PC @Corzen

Also, I was thinking of starting with this Dragonknight build. So any advice would be very very welcome.

That's good and my loadout while solo as a stamDK is pretty close to the maelstrom build listed there. Since you won't have vigor starting out for awhile consider swapping out with bloodthirst (self-heal morph of flurry) so you have a fall back oh-poo poo heal to spam. That or...use green dragon blood instead of vigor, I haven't used this in forever though so I don't know. On paper you'd be using it for the same purpose as vigor.

Alternatively swap out blade cloak with whirlwind from DW weapon line and morph it into either steel tornado or whirling blades (I use whirling blades personally for the reduced cost and major fortitude to help stamina sustain but I believe most people still prefer steel tornado for the increased range.)

Bow bar until you unlock caltrops in pvp you can swap that out with arrow spray. Its up to you to morph, acid spray is another DoT that you can apply in your rotation (filling a very similar role to caltrops) or bombard which lets you lock down trash mobs in place to kill easier (very expensive to spam though).

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Corzen posted:

After being away from ESO for nearly three years, I'm really interested to see everything that's changed since a couple of months after launch.

I wasn't there in the beginning (since it was a dumpster fire) but from what others have said, it's a new game. The justice system adds a lot more to do with the world, animations are improved, there is player housing to enjoy, balance is better, endgame progression is better, even provisioning is better. One Tamriel also added level scaling that enables characters of any level to level up anywhere, so you can go wherever you want.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I have a favor to ask if anyone's willing to help out:

After about a year now I only have a handful of traits that I've never gotten as drops to research. If anyone can craft these things (you know, as crappy level 1 whatever), I would be eternally in your debt, and of course will reimburse you for the materials used. Right now the only things I can't craft are:

Prosperous Gauntlets
Infused Pauldrons
Training Swords
Training 2h Axes
Training Daggers
Precise Ice Staves

Hit up @atomicgeek in game if you wanna help a sister out. Thanks!

Y'all rock, thank you so much.

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 11, 2017

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

atomicgeek posted:

Infused Pauldrons

Sent you these in the mail. Don't have the others, sorry.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Coldforge posted:

Sent you these in the mail. Don't have the others, sorry.

Thanks, you rock!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

atomicgeek posted:

Thanks, you rock!

Also sent you the training 1h sword. Don't know why I didn't see the option before, I must've been looking at greatsword or something.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

atomicgeek posted:

Training Daggers
Precise Ice Staves

These are in the mail.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I think the CP system might have cured my alt-itis. Since more CP means more power on my alts, I'm planning on driving my main straight to CP 640 before messing around with new builds.

My main problem is that in TES games I tend to like doing different things on different characters. So I'm probably going to save the Fighter's guild quests for a 2H DPS build, stuff like that. I just finished the main quest on my main... but I guess that means the rest of my CPs will have to come from grinding and/or dailies, if I'm going to avoid doing the Caldwell's Silver/Gold to save the other alliances for other characters. I'm also probably going to take a stab at doing group content regularly, now that I'm close-ish to CP 160.

Anyway, any good advice for grinding out CPs? Should I just run around and do every daily I can get my hands on?

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

The Locator posted:

These are in the mail.

Your name is written in the stars, or possibly just shaved into my cat.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Diving back into this game after having not played it very seriously the first time. Would love an invite to the NA PC guild! @BottleKnight

George Kansas fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 9, 2017

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Digital Osmosis posted:

I think the CP system might have cured my alt-itis. Since more CP means more power on my alts, I'm planning on driving my main straight to CP 640 before messing around with new builds.

My main problem is that in TES games I tend to like doing different things on different characters. So I'm probably going to save the Fighter's guild quests for a 2H DPS build, stuff like that. I just finished the main quest on my main... but I guess that means the rest of my CPs will have to come from grinding and/or dailies, if I'm going to avoid doing the Caldwell's Silver/Gold to save the other alliances for other characters. I'm also probably going to take a stab at doing group content regularly, now that I'm close-ish to CP 160.

Anyway, any good advice for grinding out CPs? Should I just run around and do every daily I can get my hands on?

Any character at level 50 will be awarded 100k exp once a day for doing a random normal dungeon which is usually a guaranteed CP point at low levels and is a crazy amount of exp when enlightened. If you have more than one character at level 50 you can just do a random on each one and rack up a lot of points.

The three guild dailies in your capitol (FG, MG, Undaunted) can all add up to some decent exp, and if you just vendor all the rewards it's a good daily infusion of gold into your pocket book.

Otherwise just aoe grinding mobs somewhere as arguably most efficient. I really wouldn't recommend doing that for 500 CP levels though cause you will burn out.

Once you hit CP 300 you can kind of take it easy cause that's sort of the breaking point where you have enough points post-Morrowind to flesh out your core CP trees and the field begins to narrow between you and a CP 630. Grinding all the way to 630 is ... not really advisable.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

One thing to remember is there's differing degrees of diminishing returns on CP stars post-Morrowind, so the difference between say 50 points and 100 into a particular tree is like 2-3 percentage points improvement depending. At CP 300 you usually can significantly improve two or three of your core stars in each constellation. So a CP 630 may be able to put a bunch more points in but it may amount to just being anywhere from 2%-5% better, and this ends up more points going into ancillary benefits like dodge roll reduction cost etc. Which adds up to be sure but if you know how to play your class you'll be able to carry your weight in anything but competitive group PvE where you're running the hardest content in the game on a timer and everyone is in BiS gear etc. It's not uncommon for people to beat vet Maelstrom without being max CP and that's something I'm betting most people at max CP struggle to do even once. Player skill will trump CP after a certain point.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Is there a reason I'm not able to take things out of the guild bank? Is there some sort of cooling off period for new members to stop people just joining and emptying it out or something?

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.
Is the add-on list in the OP still good and valid? Any recommendations otherwise?

Baktah
Sep 17, 2014

atomicgeek posted:

Prosperous Gauntlets
Training 2h Axes

Just mailed you those.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
One Tamriel means that everything is scaled, right?

Like I could go, say, kill redoran guards on my alt until the bounty on my main goes away. Right? ;)

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Halman posted:

One Tamriel means that everything is scaled, right?

Like I could go, say, kill redoran guards on my alt until the bounty on my main goes away. Right? ;)

Mods???

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

You're that guy from guild chat!!

Stop it!!!!

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Someone add me to goon guild @rjderouin

I'd like to play some games with goons.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

BottleKnight posted:

Diving back into this game after having not played it very seriously the first time. Would love an invite to the NA PC guild! @BottleKnight

Invite sent, homeslice.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

So

i think it is safe to say

after some reflection

that it really is time

for the mages guild to get a goddamn new motif

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Racial purist spotted.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah well at least when I talk to two out of three of my gods they give me quest rewards I immediately decon for scrap, that's more than anyone else can say

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

yeah but your gods get killed in like 600 years. sucker.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Digital Osmosis posted:

yeah but your gods get killed in like 600 years. sucker.

To be fair, this happens to most gods sooner or later.

Quick question: what is the spammable skill for Magicka Nightblades?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Funnel Health/Swallow Soul. Whichever morph you take. That's your weave. Swallow benefits you more, but Funnel helps nearby allies.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
A few people invited me along to heal/dps a couple of dungeons tonight. I have no idea which dungeons they where or who I was grouped with, but it was good fun and I didn't feel like dead weight.

How do you guys get decent looking armor in the teens/twenties? My guy looks like a loving idiot and I don't have any hope for the future.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Inspector 34 posted:

A few people invited me along to heal/dps a couple of dungeons tonight. I have no idea which dungeons they where or who I was grouped with, but it was good fun and I didn't feel like dead weight.

How do you guys get decent looking armor in the teens/twenties? My guy looks like a loving idiot and I don't have any hope for the future.

I use a costume until I hit 50. You can get some from the crown store, and some are given as achievement rewards (some of the best ones are from the Orsinium DLC). Also, if you're a subscriber to ESO Plus, you can dye your armor (or your costume) at most alchemy shops.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Armor dye is free, you only need plus for costumes.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Inspector 34 posted:

GoodBoy here, you did good. Don't worry about grouping with us, especially on normal dungeons. Even if we get our asses kicked, it's no big deal.

And if you pug, don't worry about sucking, either. If you DPS, just smack poo poo. If you heal, just heal poo poo. If things go wrong, keep quiet. Trust me, it works wonders. You'll know the dungeons before you know it and hate a few of them with a fiery passion like the rest of us.

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 11, 2017

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Dangit, I missed one thing, infused medium bracers. I hate to ask because everyone here has been so generous, but if anyone can throw a pair my way I'll reimburse the mats to you. I WILL KNOW ALL, BE ALL, SEE ALL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

atomicgeek posted:

Dangit, I missed one thing, infused medium bracers. I hate to ask because everyone here has been so generous, but if anyone can throw a pair my way I'll reimburse the mats to you. I WILL KNOW ALL, BE ALL, SEE ALL

Got it.