Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

And this is the exact reason why.

Man, I thought you weren't being a dick, but it turns out you were being a dick.

^^^^^^^^
That makes more sense. It sounded like you were just like "look at these weirdos who like it!" Sorry, I misunderstood.

Seriously though, just watch it. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm legitimately sorry if it came off that way, it wasn't my intention.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
A happy solution would be you either watching or not watching Zootopia, your choice, but never telling us whether you did or not

You wouldn't feel compelled to have an opinion one way or another, and you'd save us from reading about it. It'd be the best outcome.

It'd be like... Schroedinger's viewer

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
stoooooooooooooooooooppppppp

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My local cinema is doing a Ghibli festival at the end of this month and I'm taking my bf to Spirited Away :3:

Wanna see at least one or two others. What's better, especially on the big screen, Nausicaa or Laputa?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ok, new game, no cheating. Where's this anthro buddy from.

Prize of free internet kudos to the first person who names it. Again don't be a dick head and cheat.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
last action hero?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

last action hero?

Nicely done!

He was animated by Dale and Jane Baer. Dale Baer is known as the supervising animator of Yzma from Emperor's New Groove and Slim from Home On the Range.

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 9, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Hedrigall posted:

My local cinema is doing a Ghibli festival at the end of this month and I'm taking my bf to Spirited Away :3:

Wanna see at least one or two others. What's better, especially on the big screen, Nausicaa or Laputa?

Are you in Brisbane out some other Australian city? If Brisbane which cinema is it?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Hedrigall posted:

A happy solution would be you either watching or not watching Zootopia, your choice, but never telling us whether you did or not

You wouldn't feel compelled to have an opinion one way or another, and you'd save us from reading about it. It'd be the best outcome.

The best outcome would be for you to stop being a creeplord constantly implying that you want to gently caress cartoon animals from a childrens' movies, but that is never going to happen.

I'd make a witty pun involving schrodingers cat, but you probably want to gently caress the cat.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 9, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah seriously I get that it's a gimmick but it's a really unfunny and gross gimmick

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I would like to focus on movies where short snippets of really high-quality animation showed up that are otherwise forgotten.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

starkebn posted:

Are you in Brisbane out some other Australian city? If Brisbane which cinema is it?

Nah, Canberra. But it's a Dendy thing and I think there's a Dendy in Brisbane so check if they're doing it there too :)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The best outcome would be for you to stop being a creeplord constantly implying that you want to gently caress cartoon animals from a childrens' movies, but that is never going to happen.

I'd make a witty pun involving schrodingers cat, but you probably want to gently caress the cat.

Citation needed

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm not saying I want to be contrarian, dangit. I just don't want a repeat of Frozen where I watch it after it's been hyped up to heck and back and I just come out of it going "That was it?"
Y'know, as much as I loved Zootopia, I can't say as I'd fault you too much if this happened.

It certainly gave me that sort of fuzzy feeling that I got watching Monsters Inc. for the first time on DVD, well after it'd left theaters (I think during a car trip no less? Also, "fuzzy" pun not intended), but I can't presume to know what anyone else's reactions are gonna be. That said, I also thought Frozen was highly overrated after I finally caught it a year or two later, but loved Zootopia - not that I expect that to assuage anything, I'm just sayin'.

Pick posted:

I would like to focus on movies where short snippets of really high-quality animation showed up that are otherwise forgotten.
I know I tend to forget Enchanted happened. Also Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 had a pretty good animated segment when Hermione was describing the titular trinkets, but I'd be hard-pressed to call that film series "forgotten" just yet.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

you are the absolute last person on earth who should be giving people poo poo about posting too much garbage nobody wants to read

Pick posted:

What else is there, Last Action Hero, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and like The Pagemaster?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pick posted:

Not a movie but the Drew Carey show of all things had a cold open where Daffy Duck tries to join the company and it's 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Pick posted:

forgotten

What else is there, Last Action Hero, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and like The Pagemaster?

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also, as an answer to that, Enchanted, Horton Hears a Who, Xanadu, 9 to 5, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Eraserhead, uh freakin' Kill Bill.

e: Mrs. Doubtfire, Osmosis Jones, and the new Ghostbusters as well.

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 9, 2017

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Pick posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Never mind let's never talk about this again.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pick said high-quality, not zero-budget Flash animation.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Anchors Aweigh. Jerry's animation gets kinda weird when he starts dancing and I can't quite figure out why. I wanna say it's because they didn't ink his edges, or inked them a lot more lightly.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 9, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As long as this thread apparently allows us to insinuate who we want to gently caress real bad, let me say that in his prime, Gene Kelly was fuckin HOT AS HELL

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

starkebn posted:

Hedrigall posted:

Nah, Canberra. But it's a Dendy thing and I think there's a Dendy in Brisbane so check if they're doing it there too :)

There's a Dendy Cinemas in Hamilton which is starting showing them on the 24th. I might ask my younger sister if she wants to head to Kiki's or Laputa

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pick posted:

Miss Potter

And if you're naming Enchanted, Gremlins 2 certainly counts as well.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Jurassic Park has Mr DNA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't think Eight Crazy Nights is animated, but all I've seen of it is an extremely weird musical number where Adam Sandler, presumably drunk off his rear end, has a musical sequence with a bunch of advertising icons telling him to cry and he refuses. It's very well animated and that's about it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I don't think Eight Crazy Nights is animated, but all I've seen of it is an extremely weird musical number where Adam Sandler, presumably drunk off his rear end, has a musical sequence with a bunch of advertising icons telling him to cry and he refuses. It's very well animated and that's about it.

Oh, it's animated. All of it.
Largely by The Iron Giant team.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Das Boo posted:

Oh, it's animated. All of it.
Largely by The Iron Giant team.

Well, people that had worked on The Iron Giant and had then been laid off by Warner Bros, to be precise. Looks like they also did Titan A.E. and Osmosis Jones right before Eight Crazy Nights which must have been a weird rollercoaster ride.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oh, well that figures.

From what I gather it's a fairly typical Adam Sandler waste of time, though at least with the interesting theme of a man having to come to terms with a deep, repressed grief.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Eight Crazy Nights is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Don't bother.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Hedrigall posted:

Nausicaa is a classic but Laputa has more stuff going on animation wise so i reccomend the latter

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Pick posted:

The John Ritter movie Stay Tuned included an animated segment that was directed by Chuck Jones.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Hedrigall posted:

If you absolutely must choose, then Nausicaä, but nothing short of an unexpected death in the family is an acceptable excuse for not seeing both.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Xanadu has a segment done by Don Bluth. His first non-Disney job I believe.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Pick posted:

Also, as an answer to that, Enchanted, Horton Hears a Who, Xanadu, 9 to 5, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Eraserhead, uh freakin' Kill Bill.

e: Mrs. Doubtfire, Osmosis Jones, and the new Ghostbusters as well.

Fuckin hell yes to all this poo poo
Also let's give a shout out to Annie Hall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmFrB73pe8c

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Unmature posted:

Xanadu has a segment done by Don Bluth. His first non-Disney job I believe.

Xanadu is great, and that part is easily my favorite thing Don Bluth has ever done.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Neon Noodle posted:

Fuckin hell yes to all this poo poo
Also let's give a shout out to Annie Hall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmFrB73pe8c

Fun fact: the character design in that scene comes from the daily newspaper strip starting Woody that was running at the time. I forget the name of the guy who wrote/drew it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Belated response to that "Disney pulling away from Netflix" news: one the one hand, unsurprising. On the other hand, what this world needed was obviously yet another subscription-based streaming service separate from every other one - because we don't have nearly enough of those at the moment.