Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

DrVenkman posted:

TotalBiscuit had a Twitter meltdown about HELLBLADE and how the permadeath system is 'Anti consumer', all without having played the game.

TB screams and pisses his pants over something he doesn't have a clue about, film at 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I just played about 6 hours of hellblade and died once, it's probably not an issue

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

cat doter posted:

I just played about 6 hours of hellblade and died once, it's probably not an issue

Judging from the testing that other people are doing, the "Permadeath" is either not actually possible or so hard to trigger that it might as well be impossible, which makes the whole thing funnier.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDSMJsKEPj4
I love No Small Parts since he is able to capture the entire career of these character actors.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

DrVenkman posted:

TotalBiscuit had a Twitter meltdown about HELLBLADE and how the permadeath system is 'Anti consumer', all without having played the game.

Joke's on him.

Hellblade’s permadeath is a bluff.

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016
The Plinkett return many of us were ambivalent about is here, reviewing the Ghostbusters reboot many of us were ambivalent about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHUV8QLpEAc

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

adamcantsleep posted:

The Plinkett return many of us were ambivalent about is here, reviewing the Ghostbusters reboot many of us were ambivalent about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHUV8QLpEAc

Hey, that was actually good and not a train wreck of poo poo like people expected. :toot:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Jack has hair?!?!?!?!

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016

Jimbot posted:

Jack has hair?!?!?!?!

Search your heart. You know it to be true...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All those Paul Feig cutaways have me baffled. What the hell is Feig talking about in half those scenes?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Only thing I disagree with in the Plinkett review is that all the characters in the original film get good development. Winston, I found, got shafted something fierce. They hire him and he is kind of just... there. They give him a few good lines but compared to the other three he's just a fourth uniform in the background. When I read of the diminished role of him and how Ernie Hudson was kind of bummed that the character changed so much from the script, you really notice when you watch the film.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

TB screams and pisses his pants over something he doesn't have a clue about, film at 11.

Maybe if there was more options he would be too distracted to care.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jimbot posted:

Only thing I disagree with in the Plinkett review is that all the characters in the original film get good development. Winston, I found, got shafted something fierce. They hire him and he is kind of just... there. They give him a few good lines but compared to the other three he's just a fourth uniform in the background. When I read of the diminished role of him and how Ernie Hudson was kind of bummed that the character changed so much from the script, you really notice when you watch the film.

The Re:View episode on Ghostbusters addresses that. It's three of the best comedy performances ever... and Ernie Hudson.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Jimbot posted:

I guess that goes to show how Hudson's performance gave more weight and depth to his character than the script had for him, at least for RLM people. I haven't seen the movie in at least a decade so I can't comment on my own thoughts. :shrug:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

adamcantsleep posted:

I'll have to watch this later. Truth be told, I'm not really a fan of the original Ghostbusters; it's a good movie, but I remember watching it once from beginning-to-end and not being really blown away by it.

That's actually kind of disappointing. A system like that would have been kind of interesting; it's sort of reminiscent of the system Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter had (though that game was sort of designed around the idea that you would need to start over). I also don't think Total Biscuit's the only one upset over it.

Honestly, when I first saw Hellblade, I though it looked really interesting. Then I saw that Ninja Theory was developing it and my interest dissipated pretty quickly. That being said, it sounds like the general reception to it hasn't been bad, so maybe I'll check it out in the future.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Ghostbusters review was not a trainwreck!

I could have done without the first 20 minutes or so with all the ranting about reboots and bashing Freaks & Geeks and Zach Woods. Like the review is decent once he acknowledges that the cast could have been great if they were given more to work with.

I have not seen the movie.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

DrVenkman posted:

TotalBiscuit is also a loving moron that started a steam curator group just to say if a game supports 60fps or if it's locked no matter if it's something that needs to run at that or if a locked framerate makes the game function better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Once again, I don't know why I click on Doug Walker videos. Since I was looking for the Jay O Ghibli videos, I got recommended Doug's Disneycember videos and he apparently did some on Ghibli movies. He doesn't understand why Porco Rosso is a pig. At this point I'm the dumb one for expecting anything else from Doug.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

The Ghostbusters review was not a trainwreck!

I could have done without the first 20 minutes or so with all the ranting about reboots and bashing Freaks & Geeks and Zach Woods. Like the review is decent once he acknowledges that the cast could have been great if they were given more to work with.

I have not seen the movie.

I haven't seen the movie either but this is a very talented cast and Katie Dippold is not a hack, ok. She's great in Improv4humans so if the jokes failed, I'm blaming Paul Feige.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Once again, I don't know why I click on Doug Walker videos. Since I was looking for the Jay O Ghibli videos, I got recommended Doug's Disneycember videos and he apparently did some on Ghibli movies. He doesn't understand why Porco Rosso is a pig. At this point I'm the dumb one for expecting anything else from Doug.

I don't remember much about that movie, why exactly is Porco Rosso a pig? I'm dumb like Doug and don't know this, either.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
his time in war has made him disillusioned with humanity(and himself due to watching the deaths of his friends), to the point where he would rather see himself as a pig than a human.

fio sees through this illusion at one point prior to him discussing his wartime experiences, as with her insight she sees his true human nature through his facade.
if you've ever heard the derogatory term "war pig" before, that's the reason for why it's specifically a pig rather than another lowly animal(as well as pigs just being something easily understandable as 'dirty' or less than human). he's filled with guilt for what he was a part of(war), and his appearance is a reflection of how he views himself.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 9, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
GHOSTBUSTERS (2016) is fine. I mean it's about as good as GHOSTBUSTERS 2 was, maybe Plinkett should do a video on why that was a cynical, cash grabbing failure that scared Murray away from the franchise instead.

I love the original, but it's not like it's a character study or anything. Who they are is well defined, but no one really has an arc as such. It's grounded and, aside from Murray, I feel like the movie is a lot more scripted than people give it credit for. That means you don't have a cast of people trying to improvise and then just finding what's best later in the edit.

The biggest thing that lets down GB2016 is the fact that Feig cannot direct. He managed to make Ivan Reitman look like Kubrick. Everything is flat and overlit so every scene looks the same.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DrVenkman posted:

GHOSTBUSTERS (2016) is fine.

DrVenkman posted:

I mean it's about as good as GHOSTBUSTERS 2 was.

Getting some mixed signals here.

GB2 was the sign that there shouldn't have been sequels at all.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

IronicDongz posted:

his time in war has made him disillusioned with humanity(and himself due to watching the deaths of his friends), to the point where he would rather see himself as a pig than a human.

fio sees through this illusion at one point prior to him discussing his wartime experiences, as with her insight she sees his true human nature through his facade.
if you've ever heard the derogatory term "war pig" before, that's the reason for why it's specifically a pig rather than another lowly animal(as well as pigs just being something easily understandable as 'dirty' or less than human). he's filled with guilt for what he was a part of(war), and his appearance is a reflection of how he views himself.

I didn't know why he was a pig either, but that's because I haven't seen Porco Rosso yet, so I appreciate the explanation.

I think the topic of Doug not getting Porco Rosso had actually come up before, maybe in a prior version of this thread.

DrVenkman posted:

The biggest thing that lets down GB2016 is the fact that Feig cannot direct. He managed to make Ivan Reitman look like Kubrick. Everything is flat and overlit so every scene looks the same.
I didn't see Ghostbuster 2016, but what I remember taking away from RLM's Re/View on the original and the Half in the Bag on GB2016 is that Ghostbusters '84 that's built on (or features a lot of) deadpan, dry humor. Like I said, I'm not a fan of Ghostbusters, but it's got some pretty good lines.

Egon: We should split up
Venkman: Good idea, we can do more damage that way.

GB2016, on the other hand, was tonally different, where it seemed like more loud, in-your-face humor (or at least that's how it came across from the marketing, which maybe isn't the best meter). While I didn't see GB2016, I did see Spy, which was also directed by Feig and featured Melissa McCarthy, and I liked that film, but I think it has the same issue. It's felt like it was shooting specifically for louder, lowbrow humor in a lot of cases.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
New ghostbusters was not very good but I think it's because it's not very ghostbustery.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm only like halfway through the Plinkett video but so far it's real good, the best "actual review" kind of point has been "Ghostbusters 2016 tries way too hard to be liked, it stinks of desperation in almost every sense." which yeah feels about right.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

I'm only like halfway through the Plinkett video but so far it's real good, the best "actual review" kind of point has been "Ghostbusters 2016 tries way too hard to be liked, it stinks of desperation in almost every sense." which yeah feels about right.

Honestly that would be the main criticism that I would have of 2016; It tries way too hard to be wacky and off the cuff while the original has very dry humor for the most part.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Testekill posted:

TotalBiscuit is also a loving moron that started a steam curator group just to say if a game supports 60fps or if it's locked no matter if it's something that needs to run at that or if a locked framerate makes the game function better.

A thing he did as a joke. A thing he repeatedly mentioned was a joke.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Archer666 posted:

A thing he did as a joke. A thing he repeatedly mentioned was a joke.

Oh? So was this before or after he was called out by the developers of Guild of Dungeoneering for his fans swarming them on launch because they hid the curation because it was bullshit and not helpful?
Because I doubt the moron that bangs on for at least ten minutes a review just going on about an options screen really understands satire.

quote:

For his part, Bain agrees with the last part of Ismail's sentiment. He'd prefer for framerate locks to be listed as part of all games' technical specifications. "Personally I think something like 30 FPS lock should be required information in the Steam store description, alongside system requirements, DRM information, etc," he said. "If developers simply revealed this information to begin with or if Steam hadn't banned the 30 FPS tag, there would be no need for this curator to exist."

WHAT A JOKE, SUCH COMEDY CHOPS ON DISPLAY

Testekill fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 9, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Augus posted:

Jim Sterling's gotten himself into a bit of a dilemma: how do you review a game that you really liked until your enjoyment was ruined by a gamebreaking bug?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpv2acIgzYE

Just going by your overview, giving it a 1/10 seems kinda harsh.

Like, drat I think that puts it into Hatred's territory.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

He put up a video clarifying that the game breaking bug did have some user error (he forgot to light a torch and the game autosaved right afterwards so he couldn't progress or go back to light it without getting killed) and that he's basically changed the metacritic review to being in progress so that it's not showing up. The 1/10 score was given out of frustration and anger that he was enjoying it so much before the game broke and he's gotten in touch with Ninja Theory about it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, the movie didn't stand a chance from the get go, due to numerous reasons, but one important one is the current comedic environment. Cringe comedy is super popular at the moment and the movie does heavily rely on it. That and the studio decision to just let the actors improvise a tone of stuff and then try to piece together a funny scene in editing. It basically kills the pacing of every scene.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ghostbusters 2016 is to comedy as Marvel movies are to action choreography for non-CGI shots.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Testekill posted:

Honestly that would be the main criticism that I would have of 2016; It tries way too hard to be wacky and off the cuff while the original has very dry humor for the most part.

I think the trying way too hard part is the key really. Leslie Jones is the only one who feels like a character (Weirdly McCarthy and Wiig barely register at times) and I thought she did great at keeping things grounded. McKinnon is undoubtedly funny, but she feels like a series of tics in search of a character. The only direction she seemed to get was to do something zany at any given moment.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Testekill posted:

I thought you meant the year 2016. Still works.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah he recognized it and the errors on his part and redid the actual review video with a revised score of 7, stating it probably would have been an 8 or 9 if it weren't for the bug and if he could finish the game.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Maybe you should stop taking the fun out of living?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

I think the trying way too hard part is the key really. Leslie Jones is the only one who feels like a character (Weirdly McCarthy and Wiig barely register at times) and I thought she did great at keeping things grounded. McKinnon is undoubtedly funny, but she feels like a series of tics in search of a character. The only direction she seemed to get was to do something zany at any given moment.

So what you're saying is that someone should swap Leslie and Ern.ie's scenes from both movies and thus make a complete roster that fits together for everyone

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Maybe you should stop taking the fun out of living?

As characters to identify with go, I guess Master Shake is slightly better than Carl

Slightly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

RareAcumen posted:

So what you're saying is that someone should swap Leslie and Ern.ie's scenes from both movies and thus make a complete roster that fits together for everyone

Ernie was an excellent actor with a muted character script, Jones was a excellent improv with no script and a hack director. Really both were held back, and its a shame

• Locked thread