Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Android Blues posted:

The art in that is lovely. Ridiculously expressive and a joke in every pose.

It's Wally Wood -- although Lois's ridiculously curvy figure should be a clue there.

You can read the whole story here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Yeah, the first 20 some issues of Mad are gorgeous and wonderful. I love all the old ECs and they really grew out of that tradition. DC put together a really lovely set of 4 hardcover reprints of the Kurtzman Era Mad, highly recommended, though I think the art holds up better than the satires in some cases, just due to distance from the subject matter. Still, there's usually something funny in every panel.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I didn't look it up, but that's exactly like Marvel's "What The...?!" comics. Down to the shirts changing writing every panel.
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/What_The--%3F!_Vol_1

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, the first 20 some issues of Mad are gorgeous and wonderful. I love all the old ECs and they really grew out of that tradition. DC put together a really lovely set of 4 hardcover reprints of the Kurtzman Era Mad, highly recommended, though I think the art holds up better than the satires in some cases, just due to distance from the subject matter. Still, there's usually something funny in every panel.

I'd have to dig around my collection, but one of the artists had a phrase for putting a bunch of gags in a frame like that - chicken fat. According to his interview, back as a kid, his mom would use chicken fat to add flavor to stuff, hence the name. I think it works! :v:

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Artsygrrl posted:

I'd have to dig around my collection, but one of the artists had a phrase for putting a bunch of gags in a frame like that - chicken fat. According to his interview, back as a kid, his mom would use chicken fat to add flavor to stuff, hence the name. I think it works! :v:

That's pretty adorable.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
I found it! Will Elder was the fellow, and a very talented fellow indeed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Elder

quote:

Elder's signature style, with extra humorous detail added upon humorous detail, is routinely described as "chicken fat," a reference to soup preparation. As Elder told an interviewer, "The term just came out of what we both [Kurtzman and Elder] knew were the parts of the strip that gave it more flavor but did very little to advance the storyline. That's what Chicken Fat does... it advances the flavor of the soup and, as we all know now, too much chicken fat will kill you!"

I think he mentioned his mom in another interview, but that is the idea. Lots of stuff packed into each frame. :)

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I feel the need to talk about the time Batman the Brave and the Bold dedicated seven and a half minutes to completely retelling the Batman parody from that era of MAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS0-oLgOlLY

As someone who inexplicably had a copy of MAD About the Fifties as a kid this completely blew my mind when it aired.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ManlyGrunting posted:

I feel the need to talk about the time Batman the Brave and the Bold dedicated seven and a half minutes to completely retelling the Batman parody from that era of MAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS0-oLgOlLY

As someone who inexplicably had a copy of MAD About the Fifties as a kid this completely blew my mind when it aired.

Haha, I had Mad About the 50's too until I gave it to a girl who actually had a subscription to Mad Magazine circa 2006 or 2007. But I loved the EC reprints in the 90s, so the format of the Mad stories appealed to me.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Is there a generally accepted watermark for what year/under what condition MAD started sucking balls?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Breetai posted:

Is there a generally accepted watermark for what year/under what condition MAD started sucking balls?

It's definitely sometime before I learned to read.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Breetai posted:

A lot of people point to the moment where they reversed Bill Gaines' rule that there be no advertising in MAD.

I think some of MAD's best work was when it was putting the boots to advertising and marketing techniques. I can't be the only kid who grew up learning to "read" ads critically in large part thanks to MAD.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It would be fun to read issues of Mad and its imitators to see work by people who became better known. Like, I'm pretty sure Daniel Clowes did some illustrations for Cracked and I know Art Speigelmen did illustrations of Garbage Pail Kids (which is a bit different but still).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

A lot of people point to the moment where they reversed Bill Gaines' rule that there be no advertising in MAD.

I think some of MAD's best work was when it was putting the boots to advertising and marketing techniques. I can't be the only kid who grew up learning to "read" ads critically in large part thanks to MAD.

That's a big part of it, yeah. I do think MAD changed, and not for the better, when Al Feldstein and Nick Meglin left the editorial staff.

I also think part of the problem is that MAD today doesn't seem to know who it's aiming at. Is it a kids' humor magazine? Is it a satirical magazine for adults? Is it a nostalgia-fest for guys like me who have been reading MAD all our lives?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Selachian posted:

I also think part of the problem is that MAD comics today doesn't seem to know who it's aiming at.

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

A Strange Aeon posted:

It would be fun to read issues of Mad and its imitators to see work by people who became better known. Like, I'm pretty sure Daniel Clowes did some illustrations for Cracked and I know Art Speigelmen did illustrations of Garbage Pail Kids (which is a bit different but still).

The 90's were such a strange and wonderful time...

Over at Topps you had Art Spiegelman, John Pound, Mark Newgarden, Herb Trimpe, Paul Mavrides, Drew Friedman, Gary Panter, Kaz, JD King...

And Cracked was hiring a bunch of alt-comix peeps including Dan Clowes, Peter Bagge, Bill Wray, Bob Fingerman, Rick Altergott, and Shawn Kerri!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

There's a Secret Empire tie-in I can get behind. Squirrel Girl 23.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I :lol:ed out loud at the end of that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squirrel Girl is truly the best comic.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Squirrel Girl speaks for all of us.

(I love Spidey's pathetic little "it might not this time" at the end.)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Selachian posted:

That's a big part of it, yeah. I do think MAD changed, and not for the better, when Al Feldstein and Nick Meglin left the editorial staff.

I also think part of the problem is that MAD today doesn't seem to know who it's aiming at. Is it a kids' humor magazine? Is it a satirical magazine for adults? Is it a nostalgia-fest for guys like me who have been reading MAD all our lives?

I had no idea guys like Evan Dorkin were doing stints on the modern Mad books, I don't even know where you would buy them anymore. Do they still sell Mad in supermarkets and magazine racks?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

ruddiger posted:

I had no idea guys like Evan Dorkin were doing stints on the modern Mad books, I don't even know where you would buy them anymore. Do they still sell Mad in supermarkets and magazine racks?

Yeah, MAD sometimes brings in people like Dorkin, Amanda Conner, or Keith Knight to do stuff, but it's still mostly their house staff. (Including Al Jaffee, still doing Fold-Ins at 96.)

And believe it or not, MAD is still sold in (some) supermarkets.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Al Jafee is still alive? And he's still working? Holy gently caress.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
The library I work gets a subscription to MAD. Most people I mention it to are surprised it's still running. I got a kick out of the latest issue's "Trump Art Gallery". Some pics:

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

Al Jafee is still alive? And he's still working? Holy gently caress.

Al Jafee is a joy to talk to if you ever get to meet him at a con. His hands are really bad though, so instead of signing things, he just has stickers with his signature. :smith:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I hadn't thought about it, but yeah. I didn't get MAD as a subscription, it tended to be something I'd flip through at the store while my mom was shopping (man, reading those without buying them? Little past-me twerp.) And yeah, the cynical advertising mindset has stuck.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I've been meaning to ask, are the footnotes on those pages supposed to be difficult to read (so as not to distract from the actual comic), it it an effect of the scanning, or do I need to go see a doctor for my failing old man eyes?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bruceski posted:

I've been meaning to ask, are the footnotes on those pages supposed to be difficult to read (so as not to distract from the actual comic), it it an effect of the scanning, or do I need to go see a doctor for my failing old man eyes?

Even in the physical books, it's very difficult to read them. :corsair:

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
I remember fighting with my older brother over who got to use their poor kid's allowance on an issue of Mad. :corsair:

Did anyone else get the one special edition of Mad that came with a small record? One side had the song 'It's a Gas' on it, but I forget what was on the other side.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Bruceski posted:

It's by design, but you're still probably aging at a terrifying rate.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bruceski posted:

It's Ryan Norths print version of webcomic alt text. They're supposed to be little unremarkable line you could easily glimpse over.
By the way. That guy sure loves dinosaurs and puns.

I love how desperate this menu is.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 9, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bruceski posted:

It's a little of all three. As an aside, what's it like to have the spector of death looming over you?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's Ryan Norths print version of webcomic alt text. They're supposed to be little unremarkable line you could easily glimpse over.
By the way. That guy sure loves dinosaurs

You don't say?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My favorite is the one where the tiny girl is saying "It's a Unix system! I know this!"

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Artsygrrl posted:

I remember fighting with my older brother over who got to use their poor kid's allowance on an issue of Mad. :corsair:

Did anyone else get the one special edition of Mad that came with a small record? One side had the song 'It's a Gas' on it, but I forget what was on the other side.

I had that. Nostalgia is strong! I remember the 45 being super flimsy and square. Aside from Spy v. Spy, my favorite bits of Mad were the marginal drawings. I bought those things on regular and took forever to read them simply because I wanted to pour over all the pages looking for the "hidden" funny.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Who What Now posted:

It's a little of all three. As an aside, what's it like to have the spector of death looming over you?

Not that bad. He brought a book so it's not like I have to listen to him muttering about the time or anything.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Insane #1 (1988)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

By the way. That guy sure loves dinosaurs and puns.

I love how desperate this menu is.

Holy poo poo that is such a pun laden page, I just not realized I completely missed the last one ("Savage Hands") when I read the issue.

God drat, Ryan North must be having blast coming up with pages like that.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Ryan North loves alt text. Dinosaur Comics has 3 alt texts per comic (RSS feed, mouseover and email contact link)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Not really funny, but as a follow-up to MAD chat, I thought this would be appreciated (March, 1967)

MAD could be loving raw when they wanted - and remember, this was widely considered a humor magazine for kids.

ETA: Max Brandel, the person credited with this piece, was imprisoned by the Nazis in the 40s.

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 10, 2017