Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm enjoying these developments but I hope the author doesn't completely sideline the food aspect in favor of this darker turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
lmbo

"You don't have to worry about orcs anymore!"
"We don't have to worry about orcs? ... ... What do they taste like?"

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm enjoying these developments but I hope the author doesn't completely sideline the food aspect in favor of this darker turn.

All this means is that we're gonna find out what sautéed human* tastes like

* or dwarf or gnome or halfling or elf or goblin or oni or

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

HenryEx posted:

All this means is that we're gonna find out what sautéed human* tastes like

* or dwarf or gnome or halfling or elf or goblin or oni or

Delicious in Dragon, by Ryoko Kui.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fellis posted:

Haha remember like a year ago when people (myself included) were anticipating this wrapping up soon and then this last page

Hahahahahahaha
People were thinking it would wrap soon due to the author always ending things under 4 volumes.

Dungeon Meshi is far and away their most successful series iirc, so it makes sense to continue it, since they've got a ton of worldbuilding they can do.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Tarezax posted:

The dragon part of her is attempting to return to its previous form. I bet whenever Farlyn remembers herself again, she'll be able to shapeshift back as well.

Nah,

remember how the Mage said her currently body looked inconvenient and then cast something that made her flesh bubble? He just straight up turned her rear end into a bird. She's like a monster bird centaur. You can clearly see six limbs. Hope Toshiro likes the taste of cloaca.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Dungeon Meshi 37

:stare:

gently caress.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:tviv:

I'm glad it's ok to post one-smiley responses now.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Holy poo poo!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
You know what? I agree with how the sociopath handled things here. When a boss-level monster that was formerly your friend is wiping your party and doesn't respond to reason, putting her down is the only solution.

But I'm talking as an outsider with nothing at stake here. Laius and Sureau might will see it differently.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Mikl posted:

You know what? I agree with how the sociopath handled things here. When a boss-level monster that was formerly your friend is wiping your party and doesn't respond to reason, putting her down is the only solution.

Yeah, that was basically conclusion Laius came to himself, before Monster Farlyn emotionally sucker-punched him with the whole "...Brother Laius!" thing.

Despite everything that happened in the chapter, I still love how Laius's first thought seeing Farlyn was "Wow, you look sooo freaking cool!" :allears:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I don't know what makes this worse
Knowing that I have to wait until October to see what happens next, or thinking in the back of my head that Farlyn looked radiant while crushing people to death.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Wow, that went from 0-100 uncomfortably fast. Can... can she resurrect fallen monsters? This could get way worse.

Also, the artwork in this series, dang. Beautifully expressive.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqj8J9XrOR8

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Oh my god. I didn't realize that was legitimately fanart at first. That's incredible.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
There's some wonderful touches in it, like how Laius tries every piece of the mushroom, while Marcille at the end only grabs a single piece and the rest were all the other veggies.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

loving senshi.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
It's all gone sideways, hasn't it?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Damnit guys, this is why human transmutation alchemy is never a good idea!! :argh:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, they have a new, larger party! looks like the delicious adventure will continue!

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!

Poor girl just wanted to pet the talking dog... :qq:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

That's horrifying.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

it's super true and also totally the appropriate response

this chapter was so drat packed with stuff happening, it's nuts. Christ, that was good.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
gfuckkkk

dag son, find myself agreeing with the crazy dude that hates laius.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
When it comes to side characters so far I like Kabru the most

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

i flunked out posted:

gfuckkkk

dag son, find myself agreeing with the crazy dude that hates laius.

Which, the psychopath, or the emaciated samurai? Both are rather crazy

Farlyn DOES look super cool. She's like a harpy-dragon-quelagg chimera.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Which, the psychopath, or the emaciated samurai? Both are rather crazy

Farlyn DOES look super cool. She's like a harpy-dragon-quelagg chimera.

I just can't stop thinking about how loving awesome of an encounter this would make at the game table! You can just imagine the DM telling everyone to roll for initiative and the players just going apeshit as they realize how totally insane the thing they're going up against is. Several people are completely failing their saving throws. Chaos reigns.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

I just can't stop thinking about how loving awesome of an encounter this would make at the game table! You can just imagine the DM telling everyone to roll for initiative and the players just going apeshit as they realize how totally insane the thing they're going up against is. Several people are completely failing their saving throws. Chaos reigns.

"Oh poo poo how many 5k gold diamonds do we have"

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Jackard posted:

When it comes to side characters so far I like Kabru the most

That said I can't wait to see his smug sociopathic rear end bite the dirt in the most violent way possible.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Nah man hope he sticks around, I like his shitstirring. He's clever but not infallible

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So I just binge my way through the series and with this chapter dropping I did a perfect time to do so. Jesus Christ.
It really does feel like a DND game where the DM was like "oh here is a goofy idea, lets have a sort little campaign based around eating monsters" and then the Elf player does something she shouldn't have done and the DM is like "oh, I can use this."

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
I love how even such a dramatic chapter still has time for hilarious reaction faces and the like. This balance is excellent.

Also, all those poor side characters... getting a chance to shine just before getting stomped on or having their elemental pets killed.

(Of course Kabru is right, under the circumstances and working with the information in front of him. Information like "she's killing everyone and those idiots just want to save her".)

advokat fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 15, 2017

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
In a dungeon where people can be resurrected if you get someone who can do the spell to them soon enough, slitting someone's throat probably counts as pacification. Kill them, resurrect them, toss them in a jail cell.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Slime posted:

In a dungeon where people can be resurrected if you get someone who can do the spell to them soon enough, slitting someone's throat probably counts as pacification. Kill them, resurrect them, toss them in a jail cell.

It also lessens the impact of the whole tpk going on right now because you know that they can all get resurrected at some point. Although this deep in the dungeon, it's probably less likely if you get tpk'ed, that anyone will be there soon to drag your corpse out.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

It also lessens the impact of the whole tpk going on right now because you know that they can all get resurrected at some point. Although this deep in the dungeon, it's probably less likely if you get tpk'ed, that anyone will be there soon to drag your corpse out.
There is still the possibility of resurrection complications due to the whole 1/13th rule. At least as it applies to Sureau's priest and the dog, they were straight up crushed under the weight of Farlyn. So while the ninja's are easy enough to rez, I don't know how the rules of healing will apply to a pulped upper body.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah keep in mind that it's entirely possible to permanently die in the dungeon. You need A. enough of the body left to resurrect someone, if they're eaten (esp. by multiple monsters) then revival chances are slim, and B. you need to somehow haul all these corpses away from a raging Farlyn monster and to someone who can revive them.

She has a lot of Harpies with them, flying monsters who can easily and quickly carry body parts far apart and hide/dispose of them, just sayin

(not that anyone of the three parties will die for good in this fight since it's a story, but it's very easily possible)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

So I just binge my way through the series and with this chapter dropping I did a perfect time to do so. Jesus Christ.
It really does feel like a DND game where the DM was like "oh here is a goofy idea, lets have a sort little campaign based around eating monsters" and then the Elf player does something she shouldn't have done and the DM is like "oh, I can use this."

The current encounter could have also been avoided had Chilchack or anyone else stopped Maizuru from making the fire produce so much smoke. The main group was careful to not draw attention to themselves prior to this especially with the miniature drakes patrolling the skies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, they were about 30 seconds from deciding to go search for farlyn again with their new, larger party instead of escaping. farlyn just skipped some steps, is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think everyone would have appreciated getting the drop on Farlyn in her current state than the other way around.