Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bob Wins posted:

Fiancee and I have been talking about getting a rabbit for months and out of the blue a friend of hers hit us up and said that she had a friend that could no longer take care of it. Cue us taking in Sir Binklesworth, a lion head. He is 2 1/2 and full of energy and love, he loves to run around the apartment and to explore it when we take him out. He can get a little bit humpy, but I am assuming that this will fade away when he gets neutered, I have heard that rabbits are normally skiddish or shy, but he is all about us from day 1. He will run Figure 8s around our feet and never really strays more than a few feet from us if we walk around. He loves running back and forth down the hallway to my fiancee and I at either end.
Don't be surprised if the behavior continues after being neutered. Once they learn it they'll use it as a dominance tool. Females as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My Dad found an old pic of my high school bunny Fitzgerald. Such a sweetheart. This was taken about a year before he hopped into God's garden. He had cataracts, and also the cast is because he broke his leg. Every day in high school I would wander into his room and he'd run up and let me pick him up and cuddle him and I would talk to him and now I've gone all misty eyed.

BONUS: Me and Harriet ready to drop the hottest rap album of the year

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
that is a solid rabbit.

here's gracie. I've posted her before in here. She's ten. Doing well. loves: kale. hates: sudden movements

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
So since I've been away from here (LOA at work because of complicated pregnancy), we've added another bun. My wife went to fer a little bunny named Clink from the Humane Society but she got adopted as my wife got there. Instead, she ended up with Joy, a big big white girl with jackrabbit ears.

She's even more fearless than Avery and explores the whole house. Our bedroom, kids' room, mother in law's room. She also bullrushes the cats and tries to ear their dry food. She's a good bun and a total lovebug.

Zuba comes back to our room every night now for Mommy and Daddy snuggles. Mostly ends up napping for an hour while my wife plays Candy Crush before bed.

However, I'm getting mighty ducking tired of litterbox flipping.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

D34THROW posted:

So since I've been away from here (LOA at work because of complicated pregnancy), we've added another bun. My wife went to fer a little bunny named Clink from the Humane Society but she got adopted as my wife got there. Instead, she ended up with Joy, a big big white girl with jackrabbit ears.

She's even more fearless than Avery and explores the whole house. Our bedroom, kids' room, mother in law's room. She also bullrushes the cats and tries to ear their dry food. She's a good bun and a total lovebug.

Zuba comes back to our room every night now for Mommy and Daddy snuggles. Mostly ends up napping for an hour while my wife plays Candy Crush before bed.

However, I'm getting mighty ducking tired of litterbox flipping.
Giant rabbits are the best rabbits

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Haven't read through the entire thread, so forgive me if this has been covered recently.

We are looking to add two rabbits to our family, and based on reading I've done it seems like a neutered pair or two females living together from as young as possible is the best scenario.

Where I am seeing conflicting information is if we get to females, do they still need need to be spayed, or are they ok untouched? Would rather not have them go through major surgery if it's not really needed.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stealie72 posted:

Haven't read through the entire thread, so forgive me if this has been covered recently.

We are looking to add two rabbits to our family, and based on reading I've done it seems like a neutered pair or two females living together from as young as possible is the best scenario.

Where I am seeing conflicting information is if we get to females, do they still need need to be spayed, or are they ok untouched? Would rather not have them go through major surgery if it's not really needed.

I've generally understood the risk of cancer if you don't get them spayed is high enough the surgery is worth it: http://rabbit.org/tumors-in-rabbits/

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

stealie72 posted:

Yes.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Ok, thanks! Hadn't seen the cancer angle, but makes sense.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Always spay and neuter. It means happier, healthier rabbits.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Always spay and neuter. It means happier, healthier rabbits.

It also means great photos

When I got the floofball spayed, they found several precancerous growths on her Uterus, so it is always a good idea to spay.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
same. my bun would be dead of cancer years ago had she not been spayed.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
Eowyn has been really picky all week (eating her pellets, eating only her favorite veg, not eating much hay that I could tell), but today she's not really eating. Of course it's a Sunday. We have critical care, metacam, and subcutaneous fluids. Closest place that is good with rabbits is an hour and a half away, and their rabbit vet may not even be on call right now (emergency vet). Her temp is 103.3. Not sure what to do.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Honestly evet sounds the only option

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Honestly evet sounds the only option

Yeah, that's what I was addressed of but figuring. Sigh. We've done two emergency vet visits in the last month and a half with the cats.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

justFaye posted:

Yeah, that's what I was addressed of but figuring. Sigh. We've done two emergency vet visits in the last month and a half with the cats.

Clearly your bunny was upset that you hadn't spent emergency vet visit money on her.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

grack posted:

Clearly your bunny was upset that you hadn't spent emergency vet visit money on her.

Clearly! We made up for it by spending money for *two* emergency visits. We went to the emergency vet last night and they did SQ fluids and pain relief as well as an exam. Turns out she has a soft tissue dental abscess.

Then today we went to our normal vet as an emergency visit. They did several radiographs and blood work. She is now on an antibiotic, pain killer, Reglan, simethicone, syringe feeding, and optional lactulose and SQ fluids. Her kidney values were a little high and her heart is a little round, do the vet wants to get her stabilized before doing any surgery. Recheck next week and if she's looking good we'll schedule the surgery when the dental surgery vet gets back from vacation in two or three weeks.

Fortunately, she hadn't really gone into GI stasis, so that makes this much better. All in all, it's about as good of a result as we could hope for.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

We just adopted a baby Harlequin, and the Himalayan is extremely curious about him, it's adorable.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Okay here's a question I don't want answered.
The one rabbit is now spending all day alone by herself in a room not in use, and I have to retrieve her in the evening, where she follows me back upstairs, with no apparent difficulty. This evening the other rabbit let her eat an apple all by herself, without stealing it or chasing her throughout the house, or partaking.
Is she dying? Serious.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Even worse: They're teaming up against you.

(if she was sick she'd be hiding from you)

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

I couldn't connect your username with your pets at first, but I saw the black long-haired rabbit and thought "That is an aspect of the god of murder brought to tiny, furious life. Is that Harriet? That must be Harriet."

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

grack posted:

Even worse: They're teaming up against you.

(if she was sick she'd be hiding from you)

how the hell do you tell if a rabbit's sick then?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

GoingPostal posted:

I couldn't connect your username with your pets at first, but I saw the black long-haired rabbit and thought "That is an aspect of the god of murder brought to tiny, furious life. Is that Harriet? That must be Harriet."

It is indeed Harriet. She is fluffy and she is mad

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RacistGuidingLight posted:

If they stop eating and refuse a treat they otherwise would go crazy to eat.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RacistGuidingLight posted:

You take them to the vet. Rabbits are real good at hiding their illness.

Trabisnikof posted:

If they stop eating and refuse a treat they otherwise would go crazy to eat.
Also this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
The only real overt “hey check it out I’m in a bad way” signal that you might get from an ailing or seriously hurt rabbit is head shaking or “scanning” (two slightly different things reflecting different underlying causes) and those generally have pretty specific roots (and/or your bun is far gone enough that the End of the Line is probably imminent, depending on what’s wrong/how little they’ve eaten/GI stasis).

For the most part, rabbits kind of evolved to be really good at hiding illnesses and injuries.

My fiancée and I had a sick rabbit adventure this summer. I can post a longer take on it if people want but the TL;DR of it is that e-vet visits are often the only way to go but expensive, nerve-wracking and time consuming as all heck (note: but the alternative is a dead rabbit. By the time it gets to where you can spot a problem there is almost never a scenario where the animal “just makes it through on their own” without at least some permanent effects. If you can’t afford a probable minimum of $600 treating your rabbit’s surprise health catastrophe then seriously consider surrendering them to a rescue that will do it/getting them assessed by a vet and humanely euthanized. Don’t just let them convulse at home for 3 days). Also practical lab skills = practical life skills. Also, nothing brings you and your bun/partner closer together and drives you farther apart quite like two weeks of thrice-daily syringe feeding. Everybody’s cool now though, although Jareth attacks towels and blankets on sight.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 27, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been finding Harriet has been having eye crusties alot lately. I'm getting her in for a vet visit....on Halloween! (spooky scary)

She's gonna rip my face off right?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I discovered that Pepper will take critical care on her own when she’s feeling bad, but only if I spoon feed it to her.

The vet tech doubled over laughing when she found out. Yes thank you my rabbit IS incredibly spoiled.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

It's halloween guys! What does that mean? It means I make Harriet even more murderous!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Sorry for the double post, but Harriet has teeth spurs, and hates the metacam

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Sorry for the double post, but Harriet has teeth spurs, and hates the metacam

How can you tell that it's the metacam and not general hatred of the universe?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

gamingCaffeinator posted:

How can you tell that it's the metacam and not general hatred of the universe?

Because she won't let me get the squirter into her mouth to give her it.

Of course, after it takes effect she gets really chill. Like stoned level of chill.

also, is it a known side effect that her fur feels waxy?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Because she won't let me get the squirter into her mouth to give her it.

Of course, after it takes effect she gets really chill. Like stoned level of chill.

also, is it a known side effect that her fur feels waxy?

Have you checked if she'll just eat the metacam out of the squirter?

Ours of course hated anything forced but loved the metacam taste and you could just slowly squirt it into their mouth as they tried to lick it up instead of having to actually get the squirter in the mouth.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Have you checked if she'll just eat the metacam out of the squirter?

Ours of course hated anything forced but loved the metacam taste and you could just slowly squirt it into their mouth as they tried to lick it up instead of having to actually get the squirter in the mouth.

That's worth a try tonight. She just seemed to be trying to push the squirter out with her tongue

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

That's worth a try tonight. She just seemed to be trying to push the squirter out with her tongue

You may already know about this but, If you do still have to use the squirter you can take advantage of bun teeth layout to make it easier on yourself. You can insert the tip from the side of the mouth in the gap between the front teeth and molars then point the tip down the throat and along the side of the molars. Pretty hard for them to push it out and your only main worry is just squirting the medicine out the other side of the mouth if you don't have the tip pointing back far enough (or they jerk backwards quick enough).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

You may already know about this but, If you do still have to use the squirter you can take advantage of bun teeth layout to make it easier on yourself. You can insert the tip from the side of the mouth in the gap between the front teeth and molars then point the tip down the throat and along the side of the molars. Pretty hard for them to push it out and your only main worry is just squirting the medicine out the other side of the mouth if you don't have the tip pointing back far enough (or they jerk backwards quick enough).

What I have been doing with her.

Also, I feed her timothy hay, but vet recommend different ones with hgiher fibre. Would that be meadow and orchard?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The rabbits still won't bond, but the Himalayan has discovered he can jump into the Harlequin's cage and eat the tastier juvenile rabbit pellets.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

The rabbits still won't bond, but the Himalayan has discovered he can jump into the Harlequin's cage and eat the tastier juvenile rabbit pellets.

Have you tried brainwashing and terrorizingcrate bonding them?

Sometimes even established pairs/trios/etc can benefit from reinforcement.

Edit: also, sometimes inducing the rabbits to groom one-another by smushing some fruit on their heads can help.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 24, 2017

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

also, sometimes inducing the rabbits to groom one-another by smushing some fruit on their heads can help.

My wife refuses to try this with Avery and Subs no matter how often I suggest it. You've been wanting to bond them for almost a year, let's try to expedite it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

D34THROW posted:

My wife refuses to try this with Avery and Subs no matter how often I suggest it. You've been wanting to bond them for almost a year, let's try to expedite it.

Dude, loving do that and loving crate bond those fuckers.

It’s totally fine, behavior experts recommend it all the time. Put ‘em in like a bankers box or hamper or bin (make sure they can breathe and aren’t smooshed but don’t give them too much space or visibility. Also try not to get spotted too much or they’ll hate you like the devil), and put it somewhere loud and scary like on top of a running washing machine/dryer, near a vacuum cleaner, in a living room where you’re playing music or games or whatever and just leave them there for a while (I don’t do longer than 30 minutes at a time because somebody inevitably has to use the litter box by then). Supervise them the entire time and separate them immediately if they fight. The point is to frighten them into huddling with each other, and as they huddle they forget their differences and come together as brothers. You know, “Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra” and all that....

Anyway- then you put them in a chill pen or shared cage with food, hay, water, a litter box, and ideally a hide or two and just let them hang. Supervise them the entire time and separate them immediately if they fight. Don’t house them together unsupervised at first- you’ll probably need to repeat both steps of the procedure several times over a few weeks.

But it’s far and away the fastest way to bond rabbits and seems to work with animals that initially show aggression to each other too.