Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Whoa hey now, Crusher isn't a eugenicist who believes epidemics are nature's way of doing away with inferior races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

8one6 posted:

Agreed. They should have had Doctor Selar for CMO in the second season.

Yes, please! :gowron:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I feel like a Selar/Worf romance has potential

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's not like you go to jail if you break contract. The biggest consequence of doing so would probably be that Paramount (and perhaps/likely other Hollywood studios) would refuse to work with you again afterward, but Stewart wasn't from Hollywood; he could always just go back to the UK and do theatre again, and still be able to hit up the convention circuit if he wanted some extra spending money.

I mean he could but believe me the paycheques are a lot smaller.

Orv
May 4, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Whoa hey now, Crusher isn't a eugenicist who believes epidemics are nature's way of doing away with inferior races.

Make one little intentional genocide...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

VitalSigns posted:

"And that horrible act of callous indifference became one of our most beloved cultural directives!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

VitalSigns posted:

I feel like a Selar/Worf romance has potential

She'd just remind him of his ex

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nah, he's right, Pulaski was terrible, but it wasn't Diana Muldaur's fault. Maurice Hurley just really, really hated women (he sexually harassed McFadden and made her life hell to the point that she quit the show), so he got off on writing Pulaski as a cold-hearted bitch who hated Data.

Crusher was pretty horribly written most of the time (God, wait until Jeb! hits Sub Rosa), too, but to be fair most of the secondary characters were: Troi serves no purpose other than to say she senses deceit and occasionally have her empathic powers blow up, Geordi's a space sperg, Worf is an idiot.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

She'd just remind him of his ex

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Nerd question - during the original series era (five-year mission), where there are other types of ship classes for Starfleet besides the Constitution-class?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly with Pulaski it felt like they were trying to go for a Spock-Bones dynamic but since Data never really ever hit back it just came off as super super mean.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CobiWann posted:

Nerd question - during the original series era (five-year mission), where there are other types of ship classes for Starfleet besides the Constitution-class?

Outside of a brief shot of the USS Antares that's only in the remastered TOS, we never see another Starfleet ship other than the Constitution and Constitution Refit until the Miranda-class, largely because they just couldn't afford to build more ships -- that's why the wrecked USS Constellation was an AMT model kit, and why all of a sudden the Romulans were using Klingon D-7s (well, there's a story that says Wah Chang destroyed the Bird of Prey model, but I'm not sure whether or not that's apocryphal).

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 9, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CobiWann posted:

None mentioned in the show, unless you count the robot freighter from the animated series tribble episode. (I remember the engine nacelles looking like Starfleet's)

The officially licensed Star Fleet Technical Manual depicted other ship classes - it's up to you to decide if those were "real" or not.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

feedmegin posted:

I mean he could but believe me the paycheques are a lot smaller.

Absolutely, and that's definitely a factor too. My point was that "but he was under a six-year contract" doesn't mean that he couldn't have walked if he decided playing Captain Picard wasn't worth what Paramount was willing to pay him.

Gorelab posted:

Honestly with Pulaski it felt like they were trying to go for a Spock-Bones dynamic but since Data never really ever hit back it just came off as super super mean.

Does she even really do this after, like, the first third of the season?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Gorelab posted:

Yeah that's how I saw it. Data is perfectly innocent and incapable of defending himself and she was picking on him for what seemed like no reason. Not even any backstory about how an android killed her dog.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Timby posted:

Nah, he's right, Pulaski was terrible, but it wasn't Diana Muldaur's fault. Maurice Hurley just really, really hated women (he sexually harassed McFadden and made her life hell to the point that she quit the show), so he got off on writing Pulaski as a cold-hearted bitch who hated Data.

Crusher was pretty horribly written most of the time (God, wait until Jeb! hits Sub Rosa), too, but to be fair most of the secondary characters were: Troi serves no purpose other than to say she senses deceit and occasionally have her empathic powers blow up, Geordi's a space sperg, Worf is an idiot.

It's obviously a subjective thing (the parts of the writing that are objectively bad aside, which is not all of it) but I like Polaski a lot. And to be clear, I like Crusher a lot too, despite the whole TNG hates its women stuff, they're a central part of the thing I grew up with, even if I look back and all of them are just weird, 2D monster images of people now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Absolutely, and that's definitely a factor too. My point was that "but he was under a six-year contract" doesn't mean that he couldn't have walked if he decided playing Captain Picard wasn't worth what Paramount was willing to pay him.

Right. If worse came to worse, he would have had his agent send a letter to Paramount saying, "Due to our inability to reach a mutually agreeable resolution to our current disagreement, Mr. Stewart will not be reporting to the television lot on the scheduled start of production on the fourth season of Star Trek: The Next Generation." A lot of TV contracts back then weren't nearly as ironclad as they are nowadays, with a few outliers like the Remington Steele thing that led to Timothy Dalton, not Pierce Brosnan, replacing Roger Moore as James Bond.

quote:

Does she even really do this after, like, the first third of the season?

They softened her up a bit after the first half of the season, when they got a ton of viewer mail saying, "Why is she so mean to the poor Pinocchio robot, he just wants to be a real boy :( :( :("

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

There've been some neat fan reconstructions of TOS-era version of other classes.

Miranda:

Kelvin:

Akira:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I always just think of Crusher as Space Mom and due to the age I was and some extremely vague similarities she sort of reminds me of my own mom and I always found it unpleasant when people said they fantasized about her.

Lord Hydronium posted:

There've been some neat fan reconstructions of TOS-era version of other classes.

Miranda:

Kelvin:

Akira:

Those are neat.

edit: Thunderchild? WTF

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The officially licensed Star Fleet Technical Manual depicted other ship classes - it's up to you to decide if those were "real" or not.

Some of the diagrams were used as background screen filler art in the TOS movies. So hey, official onscreen evidence, these ships are canon, right?

A complete article on all this: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/sftm.htm

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The Bloop posted:

edit: Thunderchild? WTF
It's the name of the Akira-class in First Contact, and originally comes from War of the Worlds. :eng101:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Powered Descent posted:

Some of the diagrams were used as background screen filler art in the TOS movies. So hey, official onscreen evidence, these ships are canon, right?

It will never fail to astound me how much uglier and cheaper III looks despite costing about 25 percent more than Wrath of Khan.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Search for Schlock.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Miranda:

Kelvin:

Akira:

Thank you! I made the mistake of mentioning how I wouldn't mind running a one-shot of the new Star Trek RPG once it comes out and our 7th Sea session ended up turning into an hour long discussion about what era we'd play in, what class of ship we'd be on, and who would be what section of crewmen, right down to someone swearing she wouldn't be the person who just repeats everything the computer says.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

someone swearing she wouldn't be the person who just repeats everything the computer says.
That's the Galaxy Quest RPG.

Trek is more dumb it down and then sometimes dumb it down again for the audience

:eng101: Sector 001
:eng99: The Terran System
:riker: Earth

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CobiWann posted:

The remasters include some kinda neat ones

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tunicate posted:

The remasters include some kinda neat ones

This just reminds me of the default enemy ship from Wonderful 101

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

lmao

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
That's dumb

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Have you seen this thing called Star Trek?

Orv
May 4, 2011
"Weyoun, we're under attack by the U.S.S. Thermostat..."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Oh poo poo the admiral's losing

This event finally started Starfleet on the long and painful process of removing its head from its rear end on the whole "we're not a military" thing.

The next time the Borg show up in Federation space they arrive in the middle of a major war to find a mobilized Starfleet with lots of brand new "this isn't a warship honest" designs and find it much heavier going.

Also instead of trying to attack in waves and withdraw damaged ships like at Wolf 359 Starfleet just dogpiles the Borg and ignores losses.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 9, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
But we already have a TOS Defiant and it's fantastic

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Vulcan ships from Enterprise were legit good designs.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Pictured left: Design of the USS Superfluous

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

But we already have a TOS Defiant and it's fantastic

I'm the serial port in the art deco jiffypop ship

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I ... I can't even begin to describe how much that misses the point of the Defiant (which is said by Sisko to be underpowered and overgunned strictly as a Borg destroyer). There's no reason 5-year-mission-era Starfleet would build something like that.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

That particular design would make more sense as a fast courier-type ship in the TOS era, like the Archer-class from the novels.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

USS Roomba with wings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cross-Section posted:

That particular design would make more sense as a fast courier-type ship in the TOS era, like the Archer-class from the novels.

I'm diving really hard into turbonerd territory here, but I disagree. To my mind, there's an implied reasoning behind (most) TOS ships sticking their warp engines way the hell out on nacelle pylons; whether it's for safety reasons or performance reasons is anyone's guess. I can accept ships that deviate from the form factor established by the show, but when the show took pains to say "this is the very best ship in our inventory", then - again, to my mind, not that this is the gospel truth ~*canon*~ - it's my opinion that a design that does so should represent some sort of compromise solution.

So, for example, in my opinion a ship like Defiant should have been with the mentality of "we're accepting reduced warp drive performance, in exchange for a narrower aspect profile and less surface area for the shields to cover," while I would expect a fast courier to perhaps be proportionally even ganglier than the Enterprise as it's just a big-rear end warp drive and barely enough hull to accommodate a small crew and some cargo.