Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Now will he turn into a Logano, or a Gordon/Johnson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

With any luck, Logano.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Logano was a pen stroke away from going back to NXS with a limited Cup schedule. Byron will probably use that as a lesson if things don't go well at HMS.

She's improved a bit recently but it might all end because of a lack of sponsorship. :ironicat:

e- Junyernomics:

quote:

“It took awhile, but when we had our major reset (financially) — the trickle-down effect is coming through the drivers’ contracts and making a big difference into the decisions these owners are making. You can’t pay a driver $5 to $8 million a year if you ain’t got but $10 million a year in sponsorship. You can’t. That ain’t gonna work. (Owners) aren’t getting $20, $30, $40 million a year on sponsorship.

“Drivers sort of have to understand that change is coming down the pipe. If it hasn’t happened to ’em yet, it’s going to happen to them. And the young guys, they don’t know any better. They’re taking a nickel to race. They’re taking whatever they can get.”

“That’s a shift that’s going to be better for the sport. Get those salaries in a realistic range for how much money we have from corporate America.”
http://jeffgluck.com/dale-earnhardt-jr-silly-season-2017-explained/

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 8, 2017

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Von Manstein and LAST CAR felt some feelings today, I'm sure:

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/20282291/derrike-cope-drive-own-throwback-darlington-mane-n-tail

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

I certainly did!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

In case you'd forgotten, here's another reminder William Byron is a living, breathing EA NASCAR career mode who went from Legends to Cup in six years.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

In case you'd forgotten, here's another reminder William Byron is a living, breathing EA NASCAR career mode who went from Legends to Cup in six years.

Did Liberty bankroll him the whole way?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

CBJSprague24 posted:

I think it's to early for him

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The worst part is all the stories that are now going to go up about how he was just a bright eyed dreamer who played iRacing and hoped that one day his rich dad would pay for him to race for real.

iospace posted:

Did Liberty bankroll him the whole way?

Yep, from another article on Vice last year.

quote:

For a year, Byron’s parents paid for him to race. Byron picked up a sponsor in Liberty University after a meeting with the school’s chancellor, Jerry Falwell Jr.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cool, a new driver to hate.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm just going to cheer Bubba Wallace jr.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

wicka posted:

It's not possible for me to hate him more than I did Joey "Potential Greatest NASCAR Driver In History According to Shannon Spake Despite Having Run Two Busch Races" Logano and the hype train that surrounded him at the same point in their careers.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's not possible for me to hate him more than I did Joey "Potential Greatest NASCAR Driver In History According to Shannon Spake Despite Having Run Two Busch Races" Logano and the hype train that surrounded him at the same point in their careers.

I think around 2008 I started noticing praise for him and they were trying to market him as NASCAR's "savior".

I then looked up he was a rich kid from ct* and then just kinda went...uh...okay.

*Hindsight? It's perfectly fine being a rich kid (See Tim Richmond) or from the Northeast (the bodines), but the problem I was seeing on the horizon was a lack of new southern stars from a predominantly southern sport at the time. To an extent? That's improved though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

I'm just going to cheer Bubba Wallace jr.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
The problem is, if you don't shove them into Cup as quickly as possible, some other team might snatch them up. It's better to continue their driver development at the top tier than wait until they're "ready." iirc, SHR wanted Larson, but he got taken by Ganassi. Erik Jones and Suarez got pulled into Cup pretty fast too. That's the new standard now (though Suarez was kind of a unique situation).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Suarez also won Xfinity, for what it's worth.

tupacalypse
Jan 1, 2013

by Pragmatica
why does NASCAR even bother with Xfinity if the young drivers go to cup right away lmao

get rid of xfinity

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Xfinity should become a series for old folks, like the PGA Champion's Tour. Get all the drivers that are still popular but not good enough to compete at the top level anymore and have them go at it for 200-300 miles.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Shots fired:

https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNASCAR/status/895316175562735618

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

He's not wrong.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

He has a point. I mean, when else in the history of NASCAR has there been a driver who's won "most popular" for nearly 2 decades straight who didn't have a huge pile of championships and wins? Surely not during any period when NASCAR was seeing any sort of significant growth.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The first person that breaks Harvick's face will be my favorite driver ever.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

He has a point. I mean, when else in the history of NASCAR has there been a driver who's won "most popular" for nearly 2 decades straight who didn't have a huge pile of championships and wins? Surely not during any period when NASCAR was seeing any sort of significant growth.

I don't see how this possibly has anything to do with stunting NASCAR's growth, though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Brian France has hosed it all up so loving bad that there's really no legitimate argument anyone can make for any other individual being at fault.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think around 2008 I started noticing praise for him and they were trying to market him as NASCAR's "savior".

I then looked up he was a rich kid from ct* and then just kinda went...uh...okay.

*Hindsight? It's perfectly fine being a rich kid (See Tim Richmond) or from the Northeast (the bodines), but the problem I was seeing on the horizon was a lack of new southern stars from a predominantly southern sport at the time. To an extent? That's improved though.

I didn't care about that, I was just tired of racing media telling me "You REALLY need to like this driver!" after already hearing it for three years during Danicamania.

Slickdrac posted:

He had the resume before, but Bill Elliott was repeated Most Popular Driver during what turned out to be a seven year winless streak.

Unless Harvick's point was the continued dumbing down of expectations in exchange for fandom, which would be further supported by Danica being in the top 3-4 in the same vote having done next to nothing at all in racing.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 9, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

I don't see how this possibly has anything to do with stunting NASCAR's growth, though.

My thought (and I have no evidence to back this up) is that when the popular guy is winning that creates some hype that NASCAR lacks. In the NBA finals, it was "DURANT vs LEBRON" that was big.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

wicka posted:

:thejoke:

sportsgenius86 posted:

Brian France has hosed it all up so loving bad that there's really no legitimate argument anyone can make for any other individual being at fault.

:theproblem:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/895344136697647109

Car #25 please, Maury. Ask Rick for one of the HMS fonts.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

Why? Kahne's the most worthless driver on that team.

Counting down until Front Row Motorsports announces their newest driver.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Spence and Kahne on a GMS Hendrick satellite seems pretty likely at this point

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Anyone else hear that the 77 is done?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's looking pretty likely unless a driver rolls up with a sponsor, which is considerably less likely

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

L_Harrison posted:

Why? Kahne's the most worthless driver on that team.

Counting down until Front Row Motorsports announces their newest driver.

Kahne has a year to go on his contract so Hendrick is honoring it this way. Wonder if Rick is going to say take the 25 number just so he doesn't have to deal with the 25 curse anymore.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, out of curiosity, I looked at track diversity.

Seven of the tracks are 1.5 mile tri/quad ovals. This is out of 23 different tracks throughout the cup series. :ughh:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

NASCAR: Save the teams money by making them spend more money!

https://twitter.com/NASCAR_XFINITY/status/895359897956732928

BMB5150 posted:

Kahne has a year to go on his contract so Hendrick is honoring it this way. Wonder if Rick is going to say take the 25 number just so he doesn't have to deal with the 25 curse anymore.

I would strongly consider buying some Allegiant #25 merch even if it were Kasey Kahne stuff. I like that number and don't know why and would be cool dropping :10bux: if it were supporting GMS.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I imagine losing SHR wasn't good for Hendrick, so I could see them really wanting this "new team"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Slickdrac posted:

Bill Elliott was Most Popular Driver for 15 years despite winning only 1 title.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Hell Dale Sr was most popular of the year in 2001 and he didn't win jack poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

So, out of curiosity, I looked at track diversity.

Seven of the tracks are 1.5 mile tri/quad ovals. This is out of 23 different tracks throughout the cup series. :ughh:

That seems low tbh

• Locked thread