Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zudgemud posted:

Does anyone know if that Bright movie with Will Smith, orcs and elves is based on some existing franchise? I can't find that it is. And in this age of superhero rehashes and book adaptations it just look so odd to toss that much money, fame and skill into what I have always assumed to be an unpopular nerd genre, and then just make up your universe whole cloth. I'm personally kinda stoked though. :v:

It's not explicitly based on anything, but it rips off Shadowrun super hard and I saw a bit of the old Artemis Fowl YA books in there too. More specifically for why it exists, Max Landis has about a thousand times more clout than he reasonably should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zudgemud posted:

Does anyone know if that Bright movie with Will Smith, orcs and elves is based on some existing franchise? I can't find that it is. And in this age of superhero rehashes and book adaptations it just look so odd to toss that much money, fame and skill into what I have always assumed to be an unpopular nerd genre, and then just make up your universe whole cloth. I'm personally kinda stoked though. :v:

World of Warcraft

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zudgemud posted:

It's gonna get them sued by White Wolf, I know that much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's not explicitly based on anything, but it rips off Shadowrun super hard and I saw a bit of the old Artemis Fowl YA books in there too. More specifically for why it exists, Max Landis has about a thousand times more clout than he reasonably should.

Is he still coasting off Chronicle or what? I feel like he really shouldn't still be getting this much work considering how his last few projects did.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Lurdiak posted:

Is he still coasting off Chronicle or what? I feel like he really shouldn't still be getting this much work considering how his last few projects did.

He's coasting off being the son of one of the most acclaimed comedy directors of the 1980s.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

He's coasting off being the son of one of the most acclaimed comedy directors of the 1980s.

Talk about a helicopter parent lol lol lol *does the running man*

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I don't think Landis needs nearly that much 'clout' to sell the high concepts that are attached to most of his films. Like, just the fact that people can easily check three highly successful franchises to which Bright is similar (completely leaving out Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts), explains exactly why people thought it might work, with Landis's Twitter infamy really not being high on the radar of someone who's just trying to crack the nut of of how you even crest at Underworld money. It's even got a companion piece in Adam Wingard's Death Note.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Like Vic Morrow, these jokes will never grow old.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

Like, just the fact that people can easily check three highly successful franchises to which Bright is similar

Uh... the two I mentioned aren't really "highly successful." Like, if you're a nerd you're probably familiar with Shadowrun, but SR Returns is about the only thing in that franchise that's made money in 20 years, and the Artemis Fowl books were always kind of also-rans in the YA scene (though Colfer being picked to take over Hitchhiker's Guide might serve as a counterpoint there).

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Like Vic Morrow, these jokes will never grow old.

Man, you're really on the skids

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Max Landis writes a shitload and sells his scripts all over the place. That's how he gets things made.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CelticPredator posted:

Max Landis writes a shitload and sells his scripts all over the place. That's how he gets things made.

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Writing sucks so much I don't know how anyone does it for a living

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Before Writing sucks, During the writing can suck or be fun, After Writing is a really great high.

Writing as a career is a lot of bullshit office politics, in my experience.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
YTotD is Hellzapoppin' (1941), which I discovered trying to comb some Slim & Slam footie for my Malcolm X video essay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2TOriWWSLE

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That's worth watching if just for the incredible lindy hop scene.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Franchescanado posted:

Before Writing sucks, During the writing can suck or be fun, After Writing is a really great high.

Writing as a career is a lot of bullshit office politics, in my experience.

Writing exists in the stage between doing and not doing. I don't like the not doing part.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's worth watching if just for the incredible lindy hop scene.

I also need to check out Cabin in the Sky and Stormy Weather, since he name checks them in The Autobiography. Also, he was really into Bogie movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Writing exists in the stage between doing and not doing. I don't like the not doing part.

The last week or so I had a lot of down time at work and it ruled because I did nothing but write or read fellow goons creative writings. A great change of pace.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'd absolutely go to a film festival showing all those worst favourite movies. Especially The Apple, The Core, Judge Dredd and Manos. Dope picks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I like you, so I'm kindly but strongly going to disagree with this.

Writing is the most important part of the doing. Without the framework, you've got nothing. It's also the most freedom you'll have in a creative endeavor.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm laughing too hard at this for the number of drinks I've had

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nothing I said had to do with the process of writing, but more my problem with life.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

I don't think Landis needs nearly that much 'clout' to sell the high concepts that are attached to most of his films. Like, just the fact that people can easily check three highly successful franchises to which Bright is similar (completely leaving out Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts), explains exactly why people thought it might work, with Landis's Twitter infamy really not being high on the radar of someone who's just trying to crack the nut of of how you even crest at Underworld money. It's even got a companion piece in Adam Wingard's Death Note.

Highly successful my rear end

A fifteen year old also ran YA series and shadowrun are not highly successful you numbnuts

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...actually I just looked it up and apparently the Artemis Fowl books were loving hot poo poo in at least some parts of the world- according to Wikipedia's list of best selling books the series sold 21 million copies, beating Redwall, Shannara, Percy Jackson and His Dark Materials. And pretty much the only modern YA series to beat it are Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, A Series of Unfortunate Events, and Divergent.

(I'm deliberately only counting contemporaneous stuff, because Goosebumps, for example, would be a bit of an unfair comparison given that that series has like ten times the number of books and has been around a lot fuckin' longer.)

e: interestingly enough, it's also right above the Sword Art Online books, which made a nearly exactly-the-same sales figure with almost double the bo

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Nothing I said had to do with the process of writing, but more my problem with life.

Buy these books (so you can write & highlight them) and help yourself:

Art & Fear
The Art Spirit
Zen in the Art of Writing (by Ray Bradbury)

All of them are worth it, awesome, (affordable) and whether you apply it to your photography/lighting projects, writing, film, etc. it will fill you with a creative spirit to get off your rear end and do something so you won't have to worry about the problems.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Edit never mind. Another lovely day, more
Useless complaining about poo poo.

Just ignore

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 9, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Franchescanado posted:

Buy these books (so you can write & highlight them) and help yourself:

Art & Fear
The Art Spirit
Zen in the Art of Writing (by Ray Bradbury)

All of them are worth it, awesome, (affordable) and whether you apply it to your photography/lighting projects, writing, film, etc. it will fill you with a creative spirit to get off your rear end and do something so you won't have to worry about the problems.

A great book that is half autobiography and half writing tips is Stephen King's On Writing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My answer is The Apple, a genuinely bad movie that I like anyway.

The Apple is a goddamn masterpiece, at least in retrospect. Not sure how it played at the time but watching it in the 2000s is just as great as watching RHPS in the 90s, for many of the same reasons.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My favorite bad movie is Glen or Glenda. Ed Wood is pouring his heart into such a bizarre, yet progressive film for its time. Add in that he had the guff to direct and star in a movie so personal.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Since I rewatched the Undisputed movies (and watched Boyka Undisputed for the first time) I've been running through 1 or 2 DTV action movies a night.

Is there a thread for those? If not, should I start one, or would a link to Outlaw Vern's website basically do the same job?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

I was just being a ironic

No! Stop!!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Since I rewatched the Undisputed movies (and watched Boyka Undisputed for the first time) I've been running through 1 or 2 DTV action movies a night.

Is there a thread for those? If not, should I start one, or would a link to Outlaw Vern's website basically do the same job?

Add it to the discussion in the recently-created action movies thread.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You stole my fuckin joke

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

John Landis Helicopter Parent jokes are basically stock jokes by now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

Make an Isaac Florentine thread

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

John Landis Helicopter Parent jokes are basically stock jokes by now.

I invented that joke dammit

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

I invented that joke dammit

i don't see yr name on it poindexter

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Prove it

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 9, 2017