Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

Playing devil's advocate, part of the propaganda for D20 was that there were too many publishers with mediocre in-house systems which they'd created just for the sake of having one. And that was absolutely true. In 2000 there were way too many house systems that all superficially resembled Storyteller/Shadowrun--even when the core mechanic was different, the character sheets looked alike.

Yeah this was a new angle for me, but the System Mastery dudes did also mention this - the d20 license meant that if you just wanted to make a setting but weren't a mechanics guy, you could just piggyback off of the d20 mechanics and call it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

frankenfreak posted:

Well, you seem to take his word for it, but in the same quote he says
:thunk:
I have very little doubt that Dancey believed what he was saying.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah this was a new angle for me, but the System Mastery dudes did also mention this - the d20 license meant that if you just wanted to make a setting but weren't a mechanics guy, you could just piggyback off of the d20 mechanics and call it good.

Heck we're doing it now! Thanks Strike!

Halloween Jack posted:

Playing devil's advocate, part of the propaganda for D20 was that there were too many publishers with mediocre in-house systems which they'd created just for the sake of having one. And that was absolutely true. In 2000 there were way too many house systems that all superficially resembled Storyteller/Shadowrun--even when the core mechanic was different, the character sheets looked alike.

While this was certainly 100% true, I find it weird that it would be a motivation for WOTC to try and fix the industry. It's not like lovely paperback Vampire clones like Nightlife and Legacy: War of Ages were going to tear down the industry, they were just going to quietly fail on their very own.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 9, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Technically Vampire was a lovely Nightlife clone!

(Vampire came out like a year later, but it was probably 'both of them were working on it at the same time.')

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

(Vampire came out like a year later, but it was probably 'both of them were working on it at the same time.')

Oh man that completely ruins my personal fantasy narrative. Nightlife really looks like they took at look at White Wolf and said "I can get all this into one book."

Instead, White Wolf saw them and said "They're leaving nerd money on the drat table."

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I only know Nightlife from the System Mastery episode but this cover will be forever a monument within my psyche.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

I only know Nightlife from the System Mastery episode but this cover will be forever a monument within my psyche.

Get off the drat tracks, mullet enthusiasts! You're holding up the 4:15 Ghost Cougar to midtown!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

mango sentinel posted:

I've got this half-naked chick in my arms who's clearly into it, but it fills me with nothing but ennui. Might as well commit suicide by CatTrain.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

Is that a parody cover because I recognize the woman from a lovely van spray meme

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

unseenlibrarian posted:

Appelcline discusses it briefly. They were still in the planning phase for Vampire when they saw Nightlife released at GenCon. They decided that what they were doing was different enough from Nightlife that they didn't need to worry.

theironjef posted:

While this was certainly 100% true, I find it weird that it would be a motivation for WOTC to try and fix the industry. It's not like lovely paperback Vampire clones like Nightlife and Legacy: War of Ages were going to tear down the industry, they were just going to quietly fail on their very own.
Well yeah, it was just marketing fluff. I don't think they were motivated even a little bit by some ambition to elevate gaming as a whole. It's quite odd that Dancey is the only person I can think of who approaches tabletop games with the attitude of a ruthless corporate shark. But he's, you know, bad at it. He's great at coming out smelling like a rose while doing little or nothing good for his employer, of course.

As for the systems, it wasn't just White Wolf imitators that were doing it, either; Decipher, Last Unicorn, and Eden (just to name a few) all had these house systems where character traits are measured on a 1-5 or 1-6 scale, and some kind of Stat+Skill formula is the basis of the resolution mechanic. (Ironically, even though these systems all used a different mechanic, you could port characters from one system to another about as easily as you can port between D20 games.) White Wolf did this themselves; their system was inspired by Shadowrun but they changed the die type and the way the dice pool works.

theironjef posted:

Oh man that completely ruins my personal fantasy narrative. Nightlife really looks like they took at look at White Wolf and said "I can get all this into one book."
Nope, that's Immortal. It's indecipherable because it tries to cram way too much setting into a corebook, and explains itself in a totally rambling fashion where it uses made-up terms it hasn't defined yet, then later returns to that topic twice before you get a thorough explanation. I've heard that the game came out of the author's long-running homebrew campaign, which makes a lot of sense. It's written like a Setting Bible for a franchise that every single reader would already understand.

Hey, when are you doing Afterthought again? It only took me a couple years to think of an actual question.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 9, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Plutonis posted:

Is that a parody cover because I recognize the woman from a lovely van spray meme

100% real and unironic. Here's a splatbook.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

We replaced it in the time slot with Expounded Universe, which works well for us since it's different enough to almost count as a break. We have discussed restoring the Q&A sections of Afterthought with like an AMA or a Twitch stream, something like that.

And no, that's the real cover of Nightlife. Got a copy right here.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mango sentinel posted:

That woman has very pointy nipples

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Len posted:

That woman has very pointy nipples
Her breasts are also vampires

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

mango sentinel posted:

no bloodninja, it is you who is the lvl 2 druid and it is I who casts Lightning lvl 1,000,000

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Plutonis posted:

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 9, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
All in all, Nightlife is definitely an underrated game. The author kept working on it, too, although the latest version is hanging around free online because of their issues with the publisher.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

mango sentinel posted:

I'm the cat

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

THAT one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Of course most of the people who took this approach wound up creating something that was hot fuckin garbage and once the bubble burst most of it wound up cluttering shelves. If anything an argument can be made that the d20 OGL movement did more to cull the RPG hobby/industry that existed at the time than it did to help it flourish. But I mean this is Ryan Dancey we're talking about here, so.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Unfortunately, even given my not especially great opinion on d20, many third parties still managed to be exceptionally bad with the system.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kai Tave posted:

Of course most of the people who took this approach wound up creating something that was hot fuckin garbage and once the bubble burst most of it wound up cluttering shelves. If anything an argument can be made that the d20 OGL movement did more to cull the RPG hobby/industry that existed at the time than it did to help it flourish. But I mean this is Ryan Dancey we're talking about here, so.

The problem with the d20 crash is that it nearly took down the whole drat industry with it, regardless of whether or not you were involved in the d20 business. The proliferation of d20 and its impact on bottom lines became so pervasive that most companies (even White Wolf, which was the #2 company in the industry at the time) had to have a d20 product line because that's what people were buying. If you didn't get involved with d20, you went out of business because people/sellers were only interested in d20 products.

While that last part isn't completely true (reading Appelcline's 2000-2009 history demonstrates that indie RPGs got their start around this time, and the notion of Ron Edwards/D. Vincent Baker making anything d20-related is kind of hilarious), that became the reality for a lot of larger, more established companies.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LuiCypher posted:

The problem with the d20 crash is that it nearly took down the whole drat industry with it, regardless of whether or not you were involved in the d20 business. The proliferation of d20 and its impact on bottom lines became so pervasive that most companies (even White Wolf, which was the #2 company in the industry at the time) had to have a d20 product line because that's what people were buying. If you didn't get involved with d20, you went out of business because people/sellers were only interested in d20 products.

While that last part isn't completely true (reading Appelcline's 2000-2009 history demonstrates that indie RPGs got their start around this time, and the notion of Ron Edwards/D. Vincent Baker making anything d20-related is kind of hilarious), that became the reality for a lot of larger, more established companies.

It's not just a matter of publishers feeling compelled to hop onto the d20 train that then got dragged under by the crash, it's the fact that when the bubble burst it caused a lot of brick and mortar game stores to go under as well since they were now sitting on a bunch of inventory that they probably couldn't have moved even if they did slash prices to an extreme. Indie games were getting their start around that time yeah, but they hadn't quite made the transition to the indie TRPG scene as it exists today where crowdfunding and PoD are normalized processes. I remember seeing games like Burning Wheel on game store shelves, and after a while that became less of a feasible option as more and more stores closed their doors.

Serf
May 5, 2011

So basically the OGL is TMNT.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

It's not just a matter of publishers feeling compelled to hop onto the d20 train that then got dragged under by the crash, it's the fact that when the bubble burst it caused a lot of brick and mortar game stores to go under as well since they were now sitting on a bunch of inventory that they probably couldn't have moved even if they did slash prices to an extreme.
There's two stores I go to that still have shelves full of d20 poo poo they're never going to unload because they're trying to sell them at the MSRP instead of pricing it to move.

One of these stores doesn't carry any indie RPGs. Not even Dungeon World or Fate.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's two stores I go to that still have shelves full of d20 poo poo they're never going to unload because they're trying to sell them at the MSRP instead of pricing it to move.

One of these stores doesn't carry any indie RPGs. Not even Dungeon World or Fate.

How many combined feet are the length of the owner's beard and circumference of his waist?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
To be fair, a store that put Fate Core on a shelf would risk having to deal with an irate customer saying they were cheated by being sold something that is free online.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

How many combined feet are the length of the owner's beard and circumference of his waist?

The current owner's actually pretty slim, but it's very much a grog store.

This is the place where, two weeks ago, I heard someone say that they play Pathfinder, but they have to ignore most of the rules to play it (which of course begs the question as to why they're playing it). This person also introduced someone to RPGs by sending her to the Pathfinder SRD.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is the place where, two weeks ago, I heard someone say that they play Pathfinder, but they have to ignore most of the rules to play it (which of course begs the question as to why they're playing it). This person also introduced someone to RPGs by sending her to the Pathfinder SRD.

That makes sense, when I want to teach someone about the world, I send them to a 1970s encyclopedia set (A-E).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kai Tave posted:

It's not just a matter of publishers feeling compelled to hop onto the d20 train that then got dragged under by the crash, it's the fact that when the bubble burst it caused a lot of brick and mortar game stores to go under as well since they were now sitting on a bunch of inventory that they probably couldn't have moved even if they did slash prices to an extreme. Indie games were getting their start around that time yeah, but they hadn't quite made the transition to the indie TRPG scene as it exists today where crowdfunding and PoD are normalized processes. I remember seeing games like Burning Wheel on game store shelves, and after a while that became less of a feasible option as more and more stores closed their doors.

Oh yeah, for sure. It was a combination of smaller retail stores being unable to get that poo poo out of their store, and the larger stores (think Borders when it existed/Barnes and Noble) having contracts in place where they can just give back unsold inventory to the publisher by the truckload and get their money back.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm guessing two things:

1. She doesn't play RPGs anymore.
2. Said store is probably terribly laid out, with product being placed throughout the store seemingly on a whim.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

1. She doesn't play RPGs anymore.
2. Said store is probably terribly laid out, with product being placed throughout the store seemingly on a whim.
1. The guy also said he was going to send her a guide or something; I was only overhearing him, not talking to him

2. It used to be; the place is chock full of ooooooold RPGs, board games, and PC games that are on 5 1/2 floppies. The current owner reorganized everything so now you can actually find stuff.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Keep in mind when talking about Dancey that...you're talking about Dancey. The man has literally never once succeeded at anything and got by for years based entirely on nepotism. He's a con artist at best. I don't even know what he's doing in his post-Pathfinder Online failure life. Probably grifting someone new.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Ryan Dancey is now an Extremely Cool and Good Director at Alderac Entertainment Group.

https://twitter.com/rsdancey/status/894921983133048832

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
He´s actually some sort of "director" over at AEG.
His latest post was about preparing "pitch meetings" for the company at
GenCon where people could come and present their game to him and AEG.

Edit: I´ve been Halloween-Jacked. drat =)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
:laffo: They took him back? Nepotism strikes again. Glad to see he's a giant shitlord to boot.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Evil Mastermind posted:

I found an interview with Dancey, and found the other reason: to wipe out other RPGs.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/md/md20020228e

Don't forget that Dancey was basically lifting the whole idea from the brand new and exciting open source software movement and a quick read of The Cathedral And the Bazaar - he's basically quoting the concept of many eyes making all bugs shallow in the second half of that snippet.

However. It turned out that that was actually pretty much bullshit - Heartbleed among other things was a major bug that nobody noticed for years.

Halloween Jack posted:

Ryan Dancey is now an Extremely Cool and Good Director at Alderac Entertainment Group.

So Dancey *is* the Eric Raymond of the RPG industry...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
No, I keep trying to tell you, he's the Vince Russo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

I've never seen someone make so many tweets and get so few replies.

ProfessorCirno posted:

:laffo: They took him back? Nepotism strikes again. Glad to see he's a giant shitlord to boot.

Not only did they take him back, they did so just as they sold off their most famous and iconic property to Fantasy Flight.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

No, I keep trying to tell you, he's the Vince Russo.

Ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I did an awesome thing

slap me and kiss me posted:

Playtest 006: Domain Management, Mass Combat, Mythic Foes

August has arrived, and with it, the 6th revision of the Let Thrones Beware Playtest. This iterative build refines the campaign cycle, adds preliminary domain management and mass combat, provides additional adversaries, and introduces new, uniquely dangerous mythic foes.

Playtest 006 Updates: GM Options

Non-Combat Challenges
Non-combat challenges have been provided more depth with the addition of background and foreground components and blockers. These components will make resolving non-combat challenges much more interesting, as heroes have to contend with a variety of new complicating factors.

Domain Management
Domain management is a new way for players to make their mark on Ceyenus. The heroes success or failure at resolving adventures manifests as changes in the campaign track; advances along the track allow the heroes to construct new enhancements (e.g. basic buildings such as a smithy or a stable at the adventurer tier). These enhancements provide additional resources to the heroes whenever they undertake a new adventure, and will allow the heroes to field a larger army when it comes to the ultimate battle between good and evil.

Mass Combat
Mass combat is the capstone of the campaign cycle. Depending on how well the heroes advanced the campaign track, the nefarious villain behind everything may launch an invasion. The heroes will assemble an army of allies based on how well they performed, and the pitched battle that results will determine the fate of the Deep Wood.

Adversaries
Two new adversaries have been added - one another faction in opposition to the heroes, and one something new entirely.

Mythic Foes
While most of the foes heroes face are surmountable with grit and determination, there are some opponents that cannot be defeated by mere force. These mythic foes pose significant danger, and can only be defeated by the heroes with significant preparation. In fact, if the heroes confront these foes without research and adequate preparation, they will quickly find themselves in an unwinnable situation.

Cult of Man
There exist secretive groups that seeks to discover the vile magics harnessed by the Kingdom to further their own goals. Venerating relics, unholy artifacts, and the bones of the dead, the Cult of Man seeks to uncover ancient secrets that hint at unleashing untold power. The Cult comes with a full compliment of adversaries of all types.

Playtest 006 Updates: Player Options
While 006 doesn't include a significant change to heroes, it does add one new item. Much like how each class has a special feature that provides additional utility in combat, each background now comes with an ability useable in non-combat challenges. This will help differentiate the different backgrounds from each other and will help make background selection even more of a meaningful choice.

Downloads

• Locked thread