Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr.Misfit posted:

if a bit like something of a social fad.

:rolleyes: Gender identity is a concept that was discovered in the 1960s.

Maybe you should consider going out and learning more things before posting about them? Unless you want to start complaining that women shouldn't have the vote and African-Americans aren't people.

preemptive edit: if your response to people kindly taking time out of their day to explain basic facts about the human psyche that have been common knowledge for years is to parrot the rhetoric of bigots, don't be surprised if people assume you're a bigot or a troll.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpatdRd2LGk

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lemon-Lime posted:

You're thinking of sexes. Sex and gender aren't the same thing.

The main difference between sex and gender should be obvious, goons have gender.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
It's 2017 if you're "learning something new" about the existence of nonbinary people at all I don't know what the hell kind of rock you've been under. Not knowing much about the topic is one thing...but then again your dismissive tone in response to the information being offered in good faith speaks volumes about what kind of rocks you have in your head, at least.

Get wrecked, in other words.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.Misfit posted:

Also, that sounds interesting, if a bit like something of a social fad.

lol

my understanding is that many human cultures have had more than two genders at various points in time through out human history and the two gender thing is mainly a white christian social fad

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Maybe you should consider going out and learning more things before posting about them? Unless you want to start complaining that women shouldn't have the vote and African-Americans aren't people.

preemptive edit: if your response to people kindly taking time out of their day to explain basic facts about the human psyche that have been common knowledge for years is to parrot the rhetoric of bigots, don't be surprised if people assume you're a bigot or a troll.

Actually, your post is the first time Iīve ever heard the term "gender identity" and have now found the corresponding wikipedia article. Actually, as knowledge about the topic is more or less exotic unless you delve into it, you can quite happily live without ever really getting into it, and my education certainly didnīt cover it, so I apologise if I did step on some toes here. I didnīt mean to sound dismisse, but rather factual, but on the internet thatīs rather difficult to put into words.

MollyMetroid posted:

It's 2017 if you're "learning something new" about the existence of nonbinary people at all I don't know what the hell kind of rock you've been under. Not knowing much about the topic is one thing...but then again your dismissive tone in response to the information being offered in good faith speaks volumes about what kind of rocks you have in your head, at least.

Iīm unsure how to respond to this and I donīt think Iīd very much like to get "wrecked".
Itīs actually quite easy to live without really learning much about the topic when you live in liberal middle class circumstances on the lower end and your general thought for the day and week is how do you get food on the table and not "did you know that people discern sex and gender and that that one can have a gender outside those specified by sex alone?". Also , yes, my philosophical and socio-cultural upbringing didnīt really go beyond the context of that general "bubble". Itīs a concept I still have to wrap my head around. Also I donīt think, either literally nor figuratively, that Iīve got rocks in my head, but rather that, on a base discussion level we can all be civil about it and I can be taught a valuable lesson that would broaden my perspective. *sigh* Or not.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

[...]
my understanding is that many human cultures have had more than two genders at various points in time through out human history and the two gender thing is mainly a white christian social fad
Thatīs contrary to my experience but then Iīve mostly experienced white semi-christian context.

Apparently, measured by the reactions Iīm encountering, Iīve already become the evil strawman enemy that has to be "taught a lesson" and this isnīt the place for that, so Iīll shut up about it now.

If any of you wish to discuss this further, Iīm open for PMs.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Mr.Misfit posted:

Actually, your post is the first time Iīve ever heard the term "gender identity" and have now found the corresponding wikipedia article. Actually, as knowledge about the topic is more or less exotic unless you delve into it, you can quite happily live without ever really getting into it, and my education certainly didnīt cover it, so I apologise if I did step on some toes here. I didnīt mean to sound dismisse, but rather factual, but on the internet thatīs rather difficult to put into words.

Iīm unsure how to respond to this and I donīt think Iīd very much like to get "wrecked".
Itīs actually quite easy to live without really learning much about the topic when you live in liberal middle class circumstances on the lower end and your general thought for the day and week is how do you get food on the table and not "did you know that people discern sex and gender and that that one can have a gender outside those specified by sex alone?". Also , yes, my philosophical and socio-cultural upbringing didnīt really go beyond the context of that general "bubble". Itīs a concept I still have to wrap my head around. Also I donīt think, either literally nor figuratively, that Iīve got rocks in my head, but rather that, on a base discussion level we can all be civil about it and I can be taught a valuable lesson that would broaden my perspective. *sigh* Or not.

Thatīs contrary to my experience but then Iīve mostly experienced white semi-christian context.

Apparently, measured by the reactions Iīm encountering, Iīve already become the evil strawman enemy that has to be "taught a lesson" and this isnīt the place for that, so Iīll shut up about it now.

If any of you wish to discuss this further, Iīm open for PMs.

Yo when you replied to someone presenting you with the information politely and civilly by calling them "honey" and then called their identity a "social fad" you moved out of us all being civil about it and past the point where you could be taught a valuable lesson, my dude. You waltzed right past that and into dismissive asshat territory, you don't get to walk that back by claiming we're making you a strawman.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Mr.Misfit posted:

jesus christ

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Also I don't think I saw anyone link this KS yet and it appeals to me on a number of levels so I'm gonna drop it here:

Firelight: The Questing Card Game

Already funded, close to wrapping, looks beautiful and sounds fun.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lemon-Lime posted:

Gender has been a concept for a LOT longer than that. We've got records from ancient Rome talking about people with nonbinary gender identities and the like.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Play as a dog in A Dog's Life! The only downside here is the massive leap in price between base edition and the deluxe just adding more miniatures. I mean, it's more dogs, so that's awesome. But they're expensive.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

The_Doctor posted:

Play as a dog in A Dog's Life! The only downside here is the massive leap in price between base edition and the deluxe just adding more miniatures. I mean, it's more dogs, so that's awesome. But they're expensive.

"The perfect gift just in time for Christmas" seems like a very dangerous promise.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

The_Doctor posted:

If I send this to my sister she'll have to buy it
If I send this to my girlfriend I'll have to buy it

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

Gender has been a concept for a LOT longer than that. We've got records from ancient Rome talking about people with nonbinary gender identities and the like.

I should've put quote marks around "discovered" because yes, nonbinary gender identities have been a thing for literal millennia at this point.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

No corgis in the base game, immediate pass.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Okay, so I'm gonna be the nice slightly less tired one and be patient:

1. Your tone is defensive, and people are responding to that. You're coming off as an rear end in a top hat, and nb, trans and other people whose identities you didn't know existed have, as a whole, become so frustrated and tired with that that they're not going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Frankly, they don't have to, because bigots and assholes use the faįade of ignorance to gently caress with them pretty much all the time. You've hit on a nerve, possibly - even probably - by accident, and it being accidental doesn't mean the nerve's not raw and tender still.

2. You probably don't read the news much. If you really want to learn more, go watch the new Bill Nye show on Netflix, he does a whole episode on this and is a good dude.

3. As with all things that are outside your personal experience: listen to the people whose lives this is about, and if you don't know what's going on, don't try to speak authoritatively. It is best in these situations for the ignorant party to be polite, respectful and not flippant, even on a games subforum on a jokes website, because you can, as you've seen, step on a bomb very easily.

4. The idea that there are only two physical sexes is itself incorrect - intersex people have existed for millennia, to say nothing of other rare genetic conditions involving sex chromosomes. The idea of there only being two genders is woefully out of date and entirely untrue in a very, very large number of human cultures. That ours is slow in catching up is on us, more than anything else. If you know you're in the suburban white cultural bubble, when you run into concepts that seem foreign to you, take some time to read up on them, do some cursory research with Google, or ask politely and humbly, because speaking as another person raised in white middle class suburbia: we ain't been taught poo poo.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I should've put quote marks around "discovered" because yes, nonbinary gender identities have been a thing for literal millennia at this point.

The word you are looking for is identified (no pun intended)

Also, non of this is relevant to kickstarters so everyone stop and listen to me.

I have lik 15 hours to decide on Founders of Gloomhaven. Help

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

I have lik 15 hours to decide on Founders of Gloomhaven. Help

Pass, no compelling reason to not wait for retail besides getting it "early"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

:devil: But what if it's really good and you won't be able to get a copy until the reprint Kickstarter???

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Good thing I have a friend who kickstarts EVERYTHING, so I can play their copy.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Just got my copy of Follow today, but I haven't had time to read it. If it's anything like Microscope I'm in for a treat!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

GrandpaPants posted:

:devil: But what if it's really good and you won't be able to get a copy until the reprint Kickstarter???

For me it's the fact that Gloomhaven was very much a clear step up in terms of quality from other dungeon crawler board games on offer, demonstrably so even prior to the Kickstarter finalizing. With Founders I'm not getting that same vibe. It looks competent, serviceable, but when I look at it I don't immediately think "ah, finally."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright yeah, gender chat has gone on long enough. Take it to the chat thread or something :v:

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

The_Doctor posted:

Holy hell, I think I need this thing. Considering my intersection between animal rescue and traditional gaming (been writing a game loosely based on Dogs in the Vineyard, which is based off of a misconception regarding the core premise of the game my friend had while incredibly drunk), it looks pretty interesting.

Loses points for sombrero-chihuahua, but then again, you always get that poo poo.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Kai Tave posted:

For me it's the fact that Gloomhaven was very much a clear step up in terms of quality from other dungeon crawler board games on offer, demonstrably so even prior to the Kickstarter finalizing. With Founders I'm not getting that same vibe. It looks competent, serviceable, but when I look at it I don't immediately think "ah, finally."

One of my friends is buying it (yay) so not on the horns of this dilemma, but I do tend to think that Forge Wars is a 'good, heavy euro' but it isn't genre defining like gloomhaven.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MollyMetroid posted:

Nobody should be shamed for not knowing something. People gain knowledge every day, and unless you've been faking it (an "economist" with no knowledge of economics for example) learning something new is to be celebrated. I stumbled into a non-normative circle of friends by chance in college otherwise I'd still be pretty dang ignorant just because of the folks I interact with. And when one of my friends transitioned it still took three days of sleepless nights before I decided how I felt about it (the result being "why the gently caress am I making this about me? Why did it take me three days to get that? They are the same them that they always were.")

Learning something new that is clearly important to people and being dismissive of it, on the other hand...

Edit: wow, look at all those posts and conversation moving on. How long had I left this tab open?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 10, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ettin posted:

Alright yeah, gender chat has gone on long enough. Take it to the chat thread or something :v:

*bursts into the room an hour after everyone has left* ALRIGHT EVERYONE IM THE POLICE AND IM CLOSING DOWN THIS ILLEGAL PARTY

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 10, 2017

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Hey, don't make fun of Ettin for tardiness. His people only recently invented a method for telling time that didn't involve tallying spent beer cans.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
The new method involves counting the ones that aren't spent yet. And then drinking them.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

If anything I would just use the GoT miniatures to play Kings of War, but even then I'm not exactly blown away by the sculpts.

I will say Song of Fire and Ice looks like a very light game. Which isn't bad neccesarily, just don't expect a huge amount from it. But yeah, very runeswar in some aspects.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Star Realms Frontiers has a few hours left - it passed the million dollar mark and unlocked all the stretch goals so if it looks like your thing everything is a known quantity.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1172937197/star-realms-frontiers?ref=user_menu

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

illectro posted:

Star Realms Frontiers has a few hours left - it passed the million dollar mark and unlocked all the stretch goals so if it looks like your thing everything is a known quantity.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1172937197/star-realms-frontiers?ref=user_menu

If I, hypothetically, wanted to get all of Star Realms, I'd need to get, what, the $65 Commander Tier, the $29 box addon, and then the $75 Galactic addon for all the old stuff?

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
I guess... although a lot of the old stuff is available cheaper on Amazon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

illectro posted:

I guess... although a lot of the old stuff is available cheaper on Amazon.

Ooh, didn't think of that. I think I'll drop a $20 pledge now and see what I can get cheap from Amazon or my FLGS. Whatever I don't end up with from that I can Pledge Manager in later.

EDIT: I'm looking on Amazon, and I'm finding a lot of old stuff that's really close in price to the KS addon price, and probably not much better than the savings off that Galactic Bundle...

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 11, 2017

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hostile V posted:

No corgis in the base game, immediate pass.

In the year 2017 is corgi a gender or sex?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ropes4u posted:

It's neither, gently caress off with your juvenile smarm.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ropes4u posted:

:getout:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ropes4u posted:

Shame on you.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ropes4u posted:

What about attack helicopters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
We're back! Please talk about Kickstarters from here on. Save the off-topic chat for the chat thread and the edgy jokes for another forum.