Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't Atlantics largely defunct now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah it's basically a poorly attended historic series for their own cars at this point I think.

Captain Dickweed
Mar 3, 2003

Yes, that kitty is probably the head of a multi-national conglomerated business...uh...thing.

iospace posted:

anyone want a gang tag?

Could I get this in place of my current AV/text please? You're the best, io.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Isn't Atlantics largely defunct now?

The most recent champion is an Indy Lights driver currently.

Honestly I'd like to see it revived/saved. It was a great ladder series for IMSA, F1, and CART.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I don't know what it'd offer that the MRTI doesn't at this point. I'd rather there be 5 more cars in Indy Lights.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The only thing Atlantics has that anybody is interested in is a nostalgic name. Which to be fair, I wish they had to replace the Mazda Pro Series name.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Mazda Atlantics. I could go with that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Mazda Atlantics. I could go with that.

They were powered by Mazda the last couple of years they were a legit series. (2006- 2009). The alums even during it's dying days were pretty incredible.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143012-carpenter-weighing-2018-options
ECR wants to build a good long term team that can challenge for championships, not just be a "driver development farm."

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Long Beach City Council just voted unanimously to enter into a new 5 year deal with the IndyCar promoter after the current deal expires in 2019, with an additional five-year option for the city. So the LBGP will be on the schedule until 2023 at least. :)

Cygni fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 9, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gods I hate the open wheel doldrums.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

iospace posted:

anyone want a gang tag?

Late to the show but can I get in on this tag? And I still need to figure out a new av too since this is old as poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BMB5150 posted:

Late to the show but can I get in on this tag? And I still need to figure out a new av too since this is old as poo poo.

I'd totally give you back the Will Power one but it's been lost to the ages. RIP.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

iospace posted:

I'd totally give you back the Will Power one but it's been lost to the ages. RIP.

I'm thinking something with JDC-Miller's banana boat Oreca. Oh I see Soap got destroyed back in March. Farewell Will Power double bird, we knew you so well.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Unless it was animated or something, shouldn't be too hard to recreate from source. :D

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Gods I hate the open wheel doldrums.

During the split years? You'd have about 30 American Championship Car races per year (34 in 2001, 36 in 2002, 34 in 2003), which would actually rival Cup's schedule.

It just sucks. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the series very much right now, but it'd be cool if we had a race filling up a lot of empty weekends.

e: I'd even settle for them making Pikes Peak and various Silver Crown races as points paying races/showing them on tv :getin:

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 9, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If they're going to have a 3 week break, I think they should have it when F1 does NOT have theirs.

But traditional dates and whatnot (not that those are a bad thing).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

If they're going to have a 3 week break, I think they should have it when F1 does NOT have theirs.

But traditional dates and whatnot (not that those are a bad thing).

I kinda sperg out about this sort of thing, but there's about 16 dates or so that you could have set your watch to in terms of when they'd be on the schedule

Homestead being early March, Phoenix being late March, Milwaukee being the weekend after Indy (RIP, Go gently caress yourself whomever was running Andretti promotions), Portland during the Rose Festival, Cleveland near the 4th of July, Michigan being late July, Surfers being mid-October, and Fontana being close to Halloween.

As of right now about the only ones that have stayed put on the schedule in their traditional places would be Long Beach, Indianapolis (obviously), Toronto, and Mid Ohio (for some reason it's ALWAYS around the time of the NEC Golf Tourney/HOF game locally). I'd put down Barber and St. Pete, but those dates are still relatively green (but getting there, thankfully).

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 9, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As mentioned before, having Portland on Father's Day weekend is going to be a real hard sell given that's also Le Mans weekend.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Playing Devil's advocate but the teams & series employees really need a break this time of year. I know the offseason is like 6 months long but they've been run ragged since mid-March

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Bentai posted:

Unless it was animated or something, shouldn't be too hard to recreate from source. :D

True but time for a little change.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BMB5150 posted:

True but time for a little change.

If you were going to do that, you could have added the tag yourself

Oh well, the tag request is in.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

iospace posted:

If you were going to do that, you could have added the tag yourself

Oh well, the tag request is in.

Thank you! Save the old av just in case I want to bring it back.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

this is sponsor violence https://twitter.com/shellracingus/status/895400456020783104

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

drat that Shell scheme is sexy. Rahal had the best looking team back then with that and the Miller Lite car.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

drat that Shell scheme is sexy. Rahal had the best looking team back then with that and the Miller Lite car.

The Papis/Brack team was mine and my brother's favorite growing up as kids during the FedEx series days.

Can we put it on an IndyCar?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Remember last year, where Logano's throwback for the Southern 500 was based on the damned Porsche 962? Huh.

Helio should be rotating between this scheme and the Pennzoil nuclear banana as long as Penske has the sponsorship.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

harperdc posted:

Remember last year, where Logano's throwback for the Southern 500 was based on the damned Porsche 962? Huh.

Helio should be rotating between this scheme and the Pennzoil nuclear banana as long as Penske has the sponsorship.

Maybe Shell doesn't really like NASCAR but keeps sponsoring due to their relationship with Penske's automotive empire, so they try to troll NASCAR at every opportunity.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

gret posted:

Maybe Shell doesn't really like NASCAR but keeps sponsoring due to their relationship with Penske's automotive empire, so they try to troll NASCAR at every opportunity.

I bet Shell doesn't show up in NASCAR because of Sunoco. NASCAR loves to keep their major sponsors exclusive if they can help it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

I bet Shell doesn't show up in NASCAR because of Sunoco. NASCAR loves to keep their major sponsors exclusive if they can help it.

...Shell is a secondary sponsor alongside Pennzoil on Logano's car full time, it's just really funny to me that all of their "throwback" paint schemes are from other disciplines of racing.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

WindyMan posted:

Funny enough that scenario happened when Harvick won the 500 and had a giant shell logo on his driver suit and NASCAR had a fit over it. They had to put Pennzoil under it and make the Shell logo smaller.

They should do the Johnny Benson Pennzoil car next year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Steve Park Pennzoil car was the best/most memorable one imo.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iospace posted:

As mentioned before, having Portland on Father's Day weekend is going to be a real hard sell given that's also Le Mans weekend.

Also Mikhail Aleshin, Scott Dixon and Kannan ran Le Mans this year and Bourdais was supposed to.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

harperdc posted:

gently caress this.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

They should do the Johnny Benson Pennzoil car next year.

The answer is actually this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/qill13/status/895666087370600448

(thanks BMB)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

D-DOUBLE POST:

https://twitter.com/iowaspeedway/status/895709599562518528

Man they took out as much topside downforce as they could it seems.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like they took the top element off of both the front and rear road course wings, but left the floor-plugs in.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Darlington crossover chat got me wondering what Rusty Wallace's MGD scheme would look like on an indycar and then Bobby Rahal made my afternoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://autoweek.com/article/indycar/indycar-ceo-mark-miles-mclaren-interested-2019-season

2018 might not happen, but rumblings say 2019.

• Locked thread