Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Not sure about Kelly Cates on Totally Football Show, hopefully she'll find her feet though I got a total luvvies vibe from her and Jimbo at times.

Yeah, she sounded really nervous and unsure which I guess will sort itself out in time. "I don't know" for half of her predictions wasn't a great omen though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I actually tweeted about that when Alison Rudd hosted because Marcotti was away saying it was refreshing to have something other than him desperate to be devil's advocate and he liked my tweet :D

Not sure about Kelly Cates on Totally Football Show, hopefully she'll find her feet though I got a total luvvies vibe from her and Jimbo at times.

I had to google Kelly Cates. Apparently she hosts a show on Sky Sports and is the daughter of Kenny Daglish?

e:

webmeister posted:

Yeah, she sounded really nervous and unsure which I guess will sort itself out in time. "I don't know" for half of her predictions wasn't a great omen though

"I don't know" isn't great, but it's not as bad as "well i think maybe slightly possibly" <benign opinion> from J. Steinberg or P. McInnes.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Mandalay posted:

I had to google Kelly Cates. Apparently she hosts a show on Sky Sports and is the daughter of Kenny Daglish?

e:

"I don't know" isn't great, but it's not as bad as "well i think maybe slightly possibly" <benign opinion> from J. Steinberg or P. McInnes.

Kelly Cates is one of the presenter for Sky Sports' Football League coverage. She also is one of the host for "The Debate" on Sky. She is in some of the Premier League Production shows and also presents stuff for BBC 5 Live radio.

She is probably more used to being in the AC Jimbo role than as a pundit.

psyer fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 10, 2017

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mandalay posted:

I still boggle that Jacob Steinberg was in a literal plane crash, and his only comment about it on the show a few weeks later was "oh yeah it wasn't great, I didn't like it that much"

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Are there still gonna 2x episodes of football weekly each week? Now that jimbo and iain have their identikit show I think 3+ hours of guardianista football chat per week might be a bit much.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

webmeister posted:

I still boggle that Jacob Steinberg was in a literal plane crash, and his only comment about it on the show a few weeks later was "oh yeah it wasn't great, I didn't like it that much"

He probably didn't, tbf.

> Are there still gonna 2x episodes of football weekly each week? Now that jimbo and iain have their identikit show I think 3+ hours of guardianista football chat per week might be a bit much.

There were two this week, I assume that they'll continue.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
On the back of the split I have broadened my podcast horizons in these times of uncertainty: Second Captains seems good, just listened to their live show and it was excellent, even had Niall Quinn not talking complete shite which is some achievement.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Enough bad podcast chat, here's a good podcast.

https://twitter.com/AthleticoMince/status/896007001897152513

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I have never listened to athletico mince. Should I start at the newest one or is there a better starting point?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Raffles posted:

I have never listened to athletico mince. Should I start at the newest one or is there a better starting point?

Start at the episode 'My Jambon Hell' or maybe a couple eps earlier.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

no one likes it anymore

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I do in fact the last 2-3 have been excellent

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

track day bro! posted:

Start at the episode 'My Jambon Hell' or maybe a couple eps earlier.

This is a good one to start with

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

First business of the day is the Premier League which featured some daft red cards and even dafter defending, while also invalidating almost everything Max said in the preview show. We cover Kyle Walker-Peters, and the possibility of a Danny Rose-Peters waiting in the wings, as well as Huddersfield’s remarkable 24-hour spell at the top of the Premier League.

We look forward to Liverpool’s involvement in the Champions League, in which they’ll face Hoffenheim in a battle to avoid playing on Thursdays, we take a look around the Championship and all things Italy.

Finally the podders look at the Spanish Super Cup and at Neymar, who definitely doesn’t play for Barcelona any more, but is making his dreams come true at Paris Saint-Germain instead.

quote:

... a splendiferous opening weekend in the Premier League, with goals, red cards and shonky defending aplenty. Chelsea tonked at home by Burnley! Huddersfield finishing the weekend joint top! Liverpool blowing it at Watford!

Speaking of Liverpool, they have a tricky trip to German upstarts Hoffenheim in a Champions League qualifier on Tuesday night. What lies in store for Jurgen Klopp and co?

Plus, we hear about Ronaldo's red card and the latest on Philippe Countinho's seemingly-imminent move to Barcelona, and find out what's going on in the EFL. Not a lot, if you're Aston Villa.

I know this is football but jesus this is ridiculous.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hang on so two football podcasts that appear on the same day talk about similar topics?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yeah I'm pretty sure this has always been the case for football podcasts, you just listen to more than one because you appreciate the different opinions/styles.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The joke was you couldn't tell the difference between Football Weekly and Totally football, but I got owned so that's still funny anyway.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I suppose they could have mixed up the order but that would have been illogical, to me.
The ramble is back, not sure if I want to dip back into that world yet....

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I actually really enjoyed this week's FW, Max telling Barry to gently caress off got a hearty lol from me

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait to listen to football weekly and not remember a single word anyone said. 😌

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sometimes while running I'll listen to the previous one and do hearty lols at how wrong their predictions were haha.

Haha!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Edit: I'm an idiot

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I like the ramble except for the loving awful intro questions

If you could change one PL manager into a capybara, which one would it be?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Based on today's episode they seem to have ditched the opening question thankfully.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I don't remember one from last week either, so it's probably safe to assume it's gone

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

The Perfect Element posted:

Are there still gonna 2x episodes of football weekly each week? Now that jimbo and iain have their identikit show I think 3+ hours of guardianista football chat per week might be a bit much.

julian assflange posted:

Hang on so two football podcasts that appear on the same day talk about similar topics?

Obviously late to the party on this but wow. They are the exact same loving podcast. It's the podcast equivalent of opening a starbucks across the street from a starbucks. Same length, same pacing, same talking points, even some of the same guests. I don't know why or how the split happened but "the totally football show" should probably do something to differentiate itself because it feels super rehashed. As it stands I'll probably just listen to football weekly. James is probably a better host but Barry is a better guest and Iain is pretty insufferable. At least I think it's Iain that is, I don't follow the show regularly enough. He's the one that tries to hard to sound intellectual and interjects politics randomly into subjects right?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Barry is a funny and good. Ramble is decent still tbh, can never decide if I like Pete or not

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I think the European football show has been my favorite so far this season and i can't wait for the rambles new European show to be basically the same thing so we have more shows that are the same shows for my hours of commuting.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Iain is the one who goes 'hello!' Or used to on the old FW pod. He also had a bad habit of feigned exclamation on FW, and it's all his doing that caused the split. I agree Jimbo is the best host, and I only listen to TFS for him as it stands, I always felt Barry was missed on FW when he was away for whatever reason.

I do find it amusing that the TFS master plan has probably backfired because a lot of people like myself have looked at other football podcasts on the back of the split, while loads of clones have sprung up to compete.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Iain is the one who goes 'hello!' Or used to on the old FW pod. He also had a bad habit of feigned exclamation on FW, and it's all his doing that caused the split. I agree Jimbo is the best host, and I only listen to TFS for him as it stands, I always felt Barry was missed on FW when he was away for whatever reason.

I do find it amusing that the TFS master plan has probably backfired because a lot of people like myself have looked at other football podcasts on the back of the split, while loads of clones have sprung up to compete.

I am the lone Iain fan. I like how cheery he sounds.

I thought that goalkeeper dude was pretty dull, he was the kind of pundit that's on BBC5 live or whatever, sort of meandering. I started advancing 30 seconds when he was talking.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Barry is good if you can get past the fact he knows nothing at all about football and has no useless insights into anything

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah, as much as I like Jimbo I don't think I have room for six hours of football podcasts in my week, and TFS is obviously the weakest of the three I listen to. I'm actually surprised how much better FW has been with Max and Barry, though I don't have the same blinding hatred of Max that some people seem to.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Barry has always been one of my favourites, and I have always liked Max so weirdly, I guess I'm sticking with FW?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Barney Ronay is the worst guest. Indifferent to everyone else though I suppose I like Barry simple because he has a different accent to everyone else. Phillipe Auclair is quite good the few times he pops in

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

RideTheSpiral posted:

Barry is good if you can get past the fact he knows nothing at all about football and has no useless insights into anything

And mispronouncing names, quite possibly out of joy. I'm sure he's said Neymar normally before today's mention.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

RideTheSpiral posted:

at least unlike the other Guardian hacks he's honest about it

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Monday Bandele posted:

at least unlike the other Guardian hacks he's honest about it

I just looked up Barry because I was trying to remember what his actual job was at the Guardian and lmao

quote:

Barry Glendenning (born 12 March 1973) is an Irish sports journalist who holds the position of deputy sports editor on the guardian.co.uk website run by the UK newspaper The Guardian.[1]

Glendenning was born in Birr, County Offaly and attended Cistercian College, Roscrea, and then studied for a degree in Arts at University College Dublin, but did not complete.

He is perhaps best known for his work on the Guardian's football podcast Football Weekly formerly hosted by James Richardson who ditched the pod looking for glory elsewhere in his mid-podlife crisis. He also regularly contributes to the site's satirical daily email service, The Fiver.[2] He is often found at the helm of the Guardian Unlimited "minute by minute reports", which feature live text coverage of Premier League and Champions League games and internationals.

The Guardian printed an apology[3] in response to complaints regarding comments made by Barry in a segment about Sir Jack Hayward on a football podcast, when Hayward was described as having been "quite openly xenophobic and racist".[4] Glendenning also later apologised for his choice of words.

He is a supporter of Sunderland AFC.[5] He is also a Seinfeld fan having once mentioned the show on a podcast.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I still wonder about the actual cause behind the split. Jimbo said a few times that they wanted to shake things up and try a few different things, but aside from doing that quiz or whatever in the first show it's been literally no different. Though of course it's probably about money

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

webmeister posted:

I still wonder about the actual cause behind the split. Jimbo said a few times that they wanted to shake things up and try a few different things, but aside from doing that quiz or whatever in the first show it's been literally no different. Though of course it's probably about money
Iain McIntosh has started his own podcast company (which would appear to be a genuinely viable proposition these days judging by how many podcast networks have launched in the last 2-3 years) and sensibly poached James Richardson by giving him equity in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Iain was the moron saying it was xenophobic to make fun of the Chinese transfer fees and quality of the league which is a massive leap in logic and then like two weeks later Sascha came on saying he had watched a bunch of Chinese League matches on tv and the play was even worse than he imagined and that the keeping was worse yet. Something like "everyone stands around waiting for an overpaid Brazilian to do something" lol