Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I hope this leads to more retro scifi/kaiju crossovers like V vs Godzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I hope this leads to more retro scifi/kaiju crossovers like V vs Godzilla

I know you meant the alien V, but all I'm picturing is Hugo Weaving in that loving mask, punching Godzilla in the foot.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Keep your politics out of my movies! Oh, wait a minute...

quote:

Though they might be the most reviled figures among Hollywood's liberal crowd, the Koch brothers have been a silent investor in Warner Bros.' slate of movies for four years.

Sources say Charles G. Koch and David H. Koch — who are worth a combined $96.2 billion and wield enormous power in political circles as major backers of right-wing politicians — took a significant stake valued at tens of millions of dollars in RatPac-Dune Entertainment. Now-Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin brought the brothers in as investors as part of a $450 million deal struck in 2013 — a move that was never disclosed because RatPac-Dune is a private company.

Though Mnuchin is no longer involved with the slate financing facility, having recently put his stake into a blind trust in order to avoid a conflict of interest, the Koch brothers continue to be stakeholders in such films as Wonder Woman, Dunkirk and Steven Spielberg's upcoming Ready Player One.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/conservative-koch-brothers-are-secret-investors-wonder-woman-1027376

Leavemywife posted:

I know you meant the alien V, but all I'm picturing is Hugo Weaving in that loving mask, punching Godzilla in the foot.

Minya finds a letter written by Mothra while trapped in V's prison

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
rich people like to get richer

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In a very ironic development, Katie Holmes is going to star in the adaptation of The Secret.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/878043-katie-holmes-to-star-in-movie-version-of-the-secret

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The MSJ posted:

In a very ironic development, Katie Holmes is going to star in the adaptation of The Secret.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/878043-katie-holmes-to-star-in-movie-version-of-the-secret

Relevant: https://youtu.be/kvl8m0il2Oc

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The MSJ posted:

The Wu Tang Clan is going to be pissed if Katie Holmes spills the beans.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

You do realize that there is a not insignificant number of "conservatives" that view the Rebellion as the bad guys in Star Wars, right?

I stand by my opinion that the Empire are the good guys in the original Star Wars and each subsequent movie is a convoluted, sometimes nonsensical, attempt to explain that they are really the bad guys. The fact remains the protagonists in the first movie are a literal slave owner, a monarchist, a smuggler with extensive ties to organized crime, and a member of an old militarized religious sect whose purpose was to keep those other groups in power.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Simplex posted:

I stand by my opinion that the Empire are the good guys in the original Star Wars and each subsequent movie is a convoluted, sometimes nonsensical, attempt to explain that they are really the bad guys. The fact remains the protagonists in the first movie are a literal slave owner, a monarchist, a smuggler with extensive ties to organized crime, and a member of an old militarized religious sect whose purpose was to keep those other groups in power.

Truly the good guys are the people who literally murder an entire planet to test their laser gun and slaughter people while trying to frame the murders on others. This is not at all the argument of a sociopath.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 10, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ImpAtom posted:

Truly the good guys are the people who literally murder an entire planet to test their laser gun and slaughter people while trying to frame the murders on others. This is not at all the argument of a sociopath.

It's OK, the Death Star had people on it too. Their deaths cancel out that other thing so the Empire's good guy status remains unchanged.

All Hail Ming!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Simplex posted:

I'm a little hazy on the literal slave owner. Is that Luke? Because of the droids?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Simplex posted:

This implies that no one in the Empire owns a droid, has ties to organized crime, supports the literal monarch Emperor or serves the purpose of perpetuating his power. Even if you can only remember Vader and no one else, he checks all those boxes and that doesn't even consider that he killed a ton of children by hand to install the dictator in the first place.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

I'm a little hazy on the literal slave owner. Is that Luke? Because of the droids?

Yes.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Star Wars is heavily influenced by the works of people such as Kurosawa, to the point that it could easily take place in late-19th Century Japan rather than a long time ago, in a distant galaxy. Jedi = samurai, Leia is the daughter of a local daimyo, and the rebellion is a reactionary revolution against industrialization, modernization and the egalitarianism those bring, in favor of a return to a feudal state.

Electromax posted:

This implies that no one in the Empire owns a droid, has ties to organized crime, supports the literal monarch Emperor or serves the purpose of perpetuating his power. Even if you can only remember Vader and no one else, he checks all those boxes and that doesn't even consider that he killed a ton of children by hand to install the dictator in the first place.

Vader is pretty clearly a type of classical tragic hero type of character. He's fighting for a future that he himself has no place in. He's Arnold at the end of Terminator 2. He's Moses.

Simplex fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 10, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yes, truly the Galactic Empire is a force for equality and freedom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Simplex posted:

Star Wars is heavily influenced by the works of people such as Kurosawa, to the point that it could easily take place in late-19th Century Japan rather than a long time ago, in a distant galaxy. Jedi = samurai, Leia is the daughter of a local daimyo, and the rebellion is a reactionary revolution against industrialization, modernization and the egalitarianism those bring, in favor of a return to a feudal state.

Influenced doesn't actually mean identical and none of that is actually relevant to the argument you made, especially when as pointed out the Empire is guilty of every single crime you mentioned twofold and worse besides.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Simplex posted:

And then the Empire blew up a planet.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Influenced doesn't actually mean identical and none of that is actually relevant to the argument you made, especially when as pointed out the Empire is guilty of every single crime you mentioned twofold and worse besides.

I was trying to avoid the black hole of an argument about "acceptable" practices in waging war, and instead pointing out the historical context for the setting. And I'm curious about an example from Episode IV where the empire practices slavery.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Simplex posted:

And I'm curious about an example from Episode IV where the empire practices slavery.

Do you think they pay the syringe droid minimum wage

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

fatherboxx posted:

Or the MSE droids.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

And then the Empire blew up a planet.
And Sherman burned down Atlanta, and we dropped an atomic bomb or Hiroshima.

fatherboxx posted:

I know we don't see them buy droids from slavers and then immediately equip them with restraining bolts to prevent them from running away.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Pee-yousa

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

My understanding is that professional interrogators generally get nice perks and are carefully selected because of how badly they can gently caress you over if they're actually working for the other side.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 10, 2017

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I think the only "the heroes are really the bad guys" movie I think that had weight was The Matrix because their behavior from the perspective of people in the system is straight terrorism and they've got standing kill orders for any civilian still in the system. A death cult that worships a Messiah, blows up buildings, kills cops, security guards, and fights grandmas.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Simplex posted:

And Sherman burned down Atlanta, and we dropped an atomic bomb or Hiroshima.

Yes. And the empire blew up a planet.

Hmmmm:thunk:

Also: monster mash elected himself as the eternal leader and ended an galactic democratic goverment and he's the good guy???

Yeah ok.

Eastbound Spider fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 10, 2017

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tarkin did nothing wrong.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Let him who never blew up a planet full of innocent people to scare the rest of the galaxy into submission cast the first stone.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Simplex posted:

Star Wars is heavily influenced by the works of people such as Kurosawa, to the point that it could easily take place in late-19th Century Japan rather than a long time ago, in a distant galaxy.

Is there any record of Lucas discussing or showing familiarity with the Shaw Bros. films?

There's some similarity between the galactic landscape of the Star Wars films (both OT and PT) and the "martial world" many of the Shaw films inhabit, especially the handful that do feature an evil empire.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Eastbound Spider posted:

Yes. And the empire blew up a planet.

Hmmmm:thunk:

Also: monster mash elected himself as the eternal leader and ended an galactic democratic goverment and he's the good guy???

Yeah ok.

A senate consisting of princesses and other nobility is hardly democratic.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Simplex posted:

An autocratic system with a dictator for life who answers to no one is substantially less so.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Empire is America.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Simplex posted:

It's a galaxy where queens are democratically elected and have term limits.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

The Empire is America.

This but unironically. Lucas was a highly political filmmaker who saw his laser space adventures as staunchly anti-Vietnam. The Death Star blowing up Alderaan is the US dropping the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The first two films are the call for political rebellion under a staunchly pro-war, Republican establishment America.

e: The prequels are garbage films but interesting political works, and they make this all the more explicit. The Jedi are the ineffective Democrats standing by, foolishly and helplessly allowing us to slip into authoritarian war alongside the evil warmongering Republicans despite it being against their stated ideals. He's not a subtle man in either trilogy.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 10, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Simplex posted:

I was trying to avoid the black hole of an argument about "acceptable" practices in waging war, and instead pointing out the historical context for the setting. And I'm curious about an example from Episode IV where the empire practices slavery.

Not so much slavery but that one guy refers to Chewi as a thing. Granted, it's just that one guy, he could be a bad apple. A bad apple on a Death Star.

Which blew up a planet.

And the capital of another planet.

And a beach resort.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

feedmyleg posted:

This but unironically.

I wasn't being ironic, but it was based on one of those setside stories that I'm not sure if it was verified anywhere else or one of those internet equivalent of playground rumors. If I recall, the Emperor's throne room was shaped like an oval on purpose.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Phylodox posted:

It's a galaxy where queens are democratically elected and have term limits.

For one, that's not in Star Wars. Two, if you really wanted to get across the point that it was a democratic system she probably should have been called, I don't know, Senator Leia. Probably shouldn't refer to her as your highness either.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Simplex posted:

For one, that's not in Star Wars. Two, if you really wanted to get across the point that it was a democratic system she probably should have been called, I don't know, Senator Leia. Probably shouldn't refer to her as your highness either.

It is in Star Wars. Leia's mother was a democratically elected queen who served a finite term. That, alone, should show you how George Lucas approaches the idea of monarchy in these movies. Titles are effectively flavour text to give everything a fantasy veneer. "Princess" Leia is a senator. "Queen" Amidala is a president. "Count" Dooku is a revolutionary.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

She's a princess of Alderaan and a galactic senator.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Stop arguing with the contrarian dipshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Alec Eiffel posted:

Stop arguing about Star Wars.

Please. I've got 4892 posts to go in that thread to catch up, I wouldn't want anything spoiled.

• Locked thread