Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

just work really hard and get an office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

dragon enthusiast posted:

which

I used to work in that industry

urthecast

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

urthecast

urethracast

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i work in an open office

it's fine :shrug:

i don't wear headphones either :smug:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i work in an open office

it's fine :shrug:

i don't wear headphones either :smug:

im sure it's totally fine if you haven't had the marvelous experience of a person sneaking up behind you in a school hallway and wrapping their hands around your throat or hitting you with a brick. i have a lot of baggage that is hecka not usual in this biz and I recognize that things that don't work for me are fine for lots of other people.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
well if you have a legitimate grievance like that, then the company should accommodate you. i'm just reacting to the common refrain from developers that the #1 way to make them happy would be a private office. for the amount of money that would cost, there are lots of things i'd rather the company spend it on (for example, add it to my bonus)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cubes are fine as long as they aren't tiny and have sufficiently high walls

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Open offices are just garbo on their own merits or lack thereof amirite

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

qhat posted:

Requiring references is so dumb. A lot of companies don't give them beyond confirming simply that you worked there, and it's not like someone's going to give you a reference that slates them, so what's the point?

it probably depends on the reference's relationship to you. like yeah if you can only scare up a co-worker and an acquaintance then what's the point, but having multiple previous managers say "yeah i worked with farmer crack-rear end at his last job, he owned the hell out of a fone upgrade project and also he knows basic manners and courtesy unlike a lot of other computer janitors" was probably points in my favor with my current boss.

edit: also being able to demonstrate by the answer that the reference actually knew/knows you and is willing and able to articulate more of a response than just "he's a cool dude, i guess. he didn't hit anybody that i saw."

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 10, 2017

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it probably depends on the reference's relationship to you. like yeah if you can only scare up a co-worker and an acquaintance then what's the point, but having multiple previous managers say "yeah i worked with farmer crack-rear end at his last job, he owned the hell out of a fone upgrade project and also he knows basic manners and courtesy unlike a lot of other computer janitors" was probably points in my favor with my current boss.

edit: also being able to demonstrate by the answer that the reference actually knew/knows you and is willing and able to articulate more of a response than just "he's a cool dude, i guess. he didn't hit anybody that i saw."

the problem is that lack of references doesn't mean the candidate is bad or good, given that for many companies it's policy for their employees not to provide references. there's no reason to believe that that candidate is worse than another who can provide a reference, because at the end of the day they could've just lucked out with their company. and again, they can still probably just cherry-pick a manager or coworker. it's an antiquated practice that tells you very little about a person, hence why some companies ask for them as the literal last thing when you're pretty much confirmed for the job, so why bother asking at all.

qhat fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 10, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

qhat posted:

the problem is that lack of references doesn't mean the candidate is bad or good, given that for many companies it's policy for their employees not to provide references. there's no reason to believe that that candidate is worse than another who can provide a reference, because at the end of the day they could've just lucked out with their company.

a company that actually forbids its employees to vouch for their reports and/or co-workers sounds like a poo poo place to me

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

a company that actually forbids its employees to vouch for their reports and/or co-workers sounds like a poo poo place to me

companies don't want to open themselves to even the tiniest risk of litigation just because some other unrelated company is incapable of judging a candidate's ability by themselves

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

[quote="“LordSaturn”" post="“475214444”"]
try passing them a null pointer
[/quote]

I don’t want to crash the hiring manager I’ll never get employed then

I guess I can scrounge up some people who still think I’m a genius

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So an interesting few weeks:

My longest friend and 1099 that has been helping me on the project at the job I want to leave had his life turned upside down.
3 weeks ago his dad who lives alone in San Jose (friend lives in Boise) had a stroke on Saturday night and wasn't found until Tuesday afternoon.
He immediately calls me, saying he's on his way to San Jose with his wife and kids and I tell upper management the next day once he has had a chance to get settled.

Upper management freaks out because his bus factor is insanely high, and this effectively kills the project dead in its tracks. The entire time they are freaking out I internally don't give a gently caress because I am trying to leave anyway. They call up my friend and ask the usual questions; How are you doing? How is your dad? Is there anything you need from us? Is there anything we can do? Do you think you will be able to work on the project still?

My friend asks for 2.5 weeks because that's when his dad is discharged. Management says that's fine.
For the next 2.5 weeks, I do jack poo poo. I work on personal projects, come in at 10, leave at 1. Go bowling during lunch, or just straight up "work" from home.

My friend's dad recovers quickly. Amazingly quickly. After 3 weeks in the hospital, he has more than 25% of his right side back. He can stand on his own, he can partially move his right leg, he can move his hand and write, his speech is way better, and he can fully smile again. He is discharged from the hospital.

This is where things fall apart:

Kaiser Permanente only wanted therapy for my friend's dad twice a week which is woefully terrible and not enough. The hospital dragged its feet for almost a week getting his a social worker, and my friend didn't anticipate that he would have to take care of his dad for 15~ hours a day. So in between fighting for a full-time care facility/more therapy; he had to bow out for the next 3 months from doing any work. I had a video chat with him last Sunday and my best friend looked like he had aged 10 years overnight. :smith:

I tell upper management about this and they did something completely unexpected.

They called him up, wished him well, and told him they will delay the project 6 months until he can get his life back in order. Shocked; my friend (and I) asked why they weren't going to just find a new 1099. They responded that there wasn't any reason to. He was there at the beginning, his code is good, he's always been responsive to emails, calls, and Slack. Even if he's just 1099, there was no reason to treat him as disposable.

So now I have 6 months to chill and basically get paid to bowl in the middle of the day and WFH. Even with the broken promise of my raise, what they did for my friend seriously makes me question bailing on them or not. Also, the prospect of being able to do what I want until February is very VERY enticing.

*Edit*

TLDR: Friend's (who is 1099) dad had a stroke and had to stop all work to take care of him. Company chill about it and delayed the project 6 months for him, now I either continue to try and :yotj: or I get to chill for 6~ months.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 10, 2017

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

qhat posted:

the problem is that lack of references doesn't mean the candidate is bad or good, given that for many companies it's policy for their employees not to provide references.

Or, more usually, their policy is that individual managers/coworkers won't provide them but will refer the person asking to HR who will provide just 'yes this guy worked for us from date x to date y as <job title z>'. In which case at least the company asking knows what's what.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

ratbert90 posted:

So now I have 6 months to chill and basically get paid to bowl in the middle of the day and WFH. Even with the broken promise of my raise, what they did for my friend seriously makes me question bailing on them or not. Also, the prospect of being able to do what I want until February is very VERY enticing.

the company being nice to your coworker doesn't mean they were nice to you.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ultravoices posted:

the company being nice to your coworker doesn't mean they were nice to you.

:agreed:

quit after 6 months

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mishaq posted:

:agreed:

quit after 6 months

Thats what I am thinking.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

TLDR: Friend's (who is 1099) dad had a stroke and had to stop all work to take care of him. Company chill about it and delayed the project 6 months for him, now I either continue to try and :yotj: or I get to chill for 6~ months.

why not both? tell the new guys you start in february, take a de facto 6-month paid vacation until then.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
goddamn it's good to be job hunting when you're happy to stay at your current position if you don't find anything. completely different experience.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
just found out through office gossip that my office mate is about to :yotj:

is it weird to say congrats if they haven't told you?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

gonadic io posted:

goddamn it's good to be job hunting when you're happy to stay at your current position if you don't find anything. completely different experience.

:yeah:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol if you don't have a vast network of coworkers who are 100% onboard with going, 'oh yeah he's fuckin great to work with and tbh i'm surprised it took him this long to finally quit this place'

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

gonadic io posted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

cis autodrag posted:

im sure it's totally fine if you haven't had the marvelous experience of a person sneaking up behind you in a school hallway and wrapping their hands around your throat or hitting you with a brick. i have a lot of baggage that is hecka not usual in this biz and I recognize that things that don't work for me are fine for lots of other people.
go to an auto parts store, get a couple of those stick on round blind spot car mirrors, and put them on the edges of your monitor

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rex-Goliath posted:

i feel like these are 90% the interviewer being genuinely clueless and 10% deliberately hostile so only the people they want to get through are approved / they don't want anyone to actually make it through
a non-zero percentage of job listings and interviews are for jobs that arent really available - they have someone they are going to hire (internal promotion, someones buddy, bosses nephew etc) but by policy or by law they have to go through with the facade of a job search. this happens a lot in civil service and civil service like organizations (universities etc)

i always assume thats whats going on when an interviewer is utterly disengaged or seems to actively dilsike me for making him waste his time by beingn there

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

i always assume thats whats going on when an interviewer is utterly disengaged or seems to actively dilsike me for making him waste his time by beingn there

yeah im sure its bc they are interviewing you for a fake job, seems like the most likely explanation to me too

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Dislike button posted:

yeah im sure its bc they are interviewing you for a fake job, seems like the most likely explanation to me too

I always assumed that extremely disengaged interviewers were actually disengaged and it was a sign the environment is terrible anyway.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My drive by manager wanted me to come in at 7 instead of 5.
gently caress no, I like "working" a straight 8 and leaving at 1. She got really mad when I told her that if she wants me to come in at 7 I will "work" only 40 hours a week from then on out.

How dare you not work overtime for free! Ahhh, there's the incompetence I was yearning for. :allears:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Dislike button posted:

it's why i qualified it with the 90/10 split

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

I guess I can scrounge up some people who still think I’m a genius

you got a whole forumful right here

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

FMguru posted:

go to an auto parts store, get a couple of those stick on round blind spot car mirrors, and put them on the edges of your monitor

it was before my time but intel bought a bunch of these for folks to stick on monitor corners when they were "compressing" cubes from 3x2 to 2x2, with a little branded message on them

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

JawnV6 posted:

it was before my time but intel bought a bunch of these for folks to stick on monitor corners when they were "compressing" cubes from 3x2 to 2x2, with a little branded message on them

yeah in the first bubble, we got branded ones from our corporate overlords.

they were super handy because i was spending 80% of my work hours ssh'd into my home machine posting to newsgroups.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FMguru posted:

I can never remember which corner on the mirror these are supposed to go. Bottom car-side right?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

My drive by manager wanted me to come in at 7 instead of 5.
gently caress no, I like "working" a straight 8 and leaving at 1. She got really mad when I told her that if she wants me to come in at 7 I will "work" only 40 hours a week from then on out.

How dare you not work overtime for free! Ahhh, there's the incompetence I was yearning for. :allears:

You routinely come in at 5am, work 8 hours and leave at 1pm, so 40 hours a week, but if they make you come in at 7am you will only work 40 hours a week?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

yeah it owns.

i mean i still want out of here but i'm paid real money and expectations are low and i like my coworkers.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Schadenboner posted:

I can never remember which corner on the mirror these are supposed to go. Bottom car-side right?

the best method i've heard of determining where to put them is to basically study where you look in the mirror when you use them and then place the mirror where you look the least

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah it owns.

i mean i still want out of here but i'm paid real money and expectations are low and i like my coworkers.

didnt you just start there a couple months ago

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

fritz posted:

didnt you just start there a couple months ago

yeah i made a terrible mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008