Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dross posted:

again, the reconstructed me would not know the difference.

Dude, he had consciousness while he was a jumble of molecules. That episode essentially established the existence of the soul and showed that it travels with you during teleportation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Dude, he had consciousness while he was a jumble of molecules. That episode essentially established the existence of the soul and showed that it travels with you during teleportation

Are we discussing sci-fi or hypothetical real tech? In the former you get to make up the rules.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I mean, the clone remembers having conciousness, that does not mean the clone is the same person. It's getting philosophical but thats the whole point of the question.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Guy Goodbody posted:

yeah, it seems less like you actually get de-atomized and more like you're temporarily out-of-phase with the rest of the universe and then moved to where you need to be because the whole process creates concrete memories, aka there's an intact brain that never stops working, i guess there's another episode where a few crew members were turned into teleporter-ghosts who couldn't be seen or felt because of a transportation accident, i guess that would support the out-of-phase idea - don't ask me what happened to riker when he was twinned tho

geez, that show sometimes :cripes:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I have an irrational hatred of every holodeck episode
The best thing about the holodeck episodes is how incredibly bad at video games everyone except Worf is. Picard sets the difficulty to the easiest setting and still complains that the game's too hard. Data looks up a walkthrough before he even starts playing.

hard counter posted:

yeah, it seems less like you actually get de-atomized and more like you're temporarily out-of-phase with the rest of the universe and then moved to where you need to be because the whole process creates concrete memories, aka there's an intact brain that never stops working, i guess there's another episode where a few crew members were turned into teleporter-ghosts who couldn't be seen or felt because of a transportation accident, i guess that would support the out-of-phase idea - don't ask me what happened to riker when he was twinned tho

geez, that show sometimes :cripes:
With all the crazy stuff transporters do (usually by accident) it's pretty clear that they are far more powerful than is ever really explored in the show. Remember that one time they de-aged people? That's the fountain of youth right there. People in the federation still get old and die, but they don't need to because the crew of the Enterprise found a way to reverse aging while keeping the person's memories and personality intact. And then they completely ignored it and never used it again.

Dross posted:

that's not even remotely similar and you're being obtuse for the sake of a metaphysical "whoa dude"
I'm not being obtuse. Unless you believe in souls, there's nothing to connect one version of you to the next, no inner self that continues to exist. You're just a bunch of meat and chemicals and stuff.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like yes "I" am a composite of mostly carbon and some other elements, but if you vaporize me and then precisely assemble the same exact atomic composition elsewhere, I'm pretty sure my consciousness is still gone and I'm functionally dead, from my own perspective. My perspective being the oblivion of death. There is still an identical simulacrum of me shitposting on intergalactic forums, but that is of little use to the previous, dead me, who will never experience the post-teleportation life that the new copy does.
Your "consciousness" isn't an actual thing that exists, it's just a function of your body. Reassemble the same body and you reassemble the same consciousness.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There is no permanent unchanging self but there is still an idea of "me" inside my own mind. A psychic homunculi, if you will. A simulcrum. Fancy words. This idea of me is my soul and my sense of self. Its all the things I identify as me: my subjective experience of being in this fleshly guise, my memories, experuences, all that stuff. But this idea of myself is dependent on the phenomena witnessed by the Ego I, the "Eye". My name, the sensations and perceptions that i perceive, those are just things that the Ego-I-"Eye" watches. They can change but the ego-i-eye remains.

Other people have an image of me in their mind, as well. But their idea of me is not the same as my idea of myself. The Ancients knew this. These are the different spirit aspects of ourselves.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Souls don't exist

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If you want me to step through the teleporter, you're going to have to pay me a lot more than nothing

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Caufman posted:

If you want me to step through the teleporter, you're going to have to pay me a lot more than nothing

pay your next of kin

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Blue Star posted:

My name, the sensations and perceptions that i perceive, those are just things that the Ego-I-"Eye" watches. They can change but the ego-i-eye remains.
Nope. The imaginary you is imagining itself. There's no inner you watching through your eyes, you are the eyes (and the rest of the body). There's nothing at the centre. Your body is not external to you, something that you could escape or transcend, it's you. Entirely.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Even the puppets aren't that bad after you get used to them. Pilot for example is a pretty good character. I also like the part about the crackers.

Lani Tupu gives a much better performance as Pilot than he does as Crais. It's seriously fantastic.

I really like the gradual escalation in Farscape, how they go from ragtag group of nobodies to legendary outlaws to tapdancing in the space UN with a nuke.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Nope. The imaginary you is imagining itself. There's no inner you watching through your eyes, you are the eyes (and the rest of the body). There's nothing at the centre. Your body is not external to you, something that you could escape or transcend, it's you. Entirely.

Okay, so explain something like locked-in syndrome. Surely if there were no "you" there as a consciousness, no one would report this documented medical condition.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Your "consciousness" isn't an actual thing that exists, it's just a function of your body. Reassemble the same body and you reassemble the same consciousness.

That's possible but there is absolutely no science to support it. Is a perfect identical combination of molecules that I have still me?

For extra wtf, consider taking a person and then building a perfect copy in the same room, every memory, neuron, molecule, atom is identical. Shoot one in the head. Did you kill someone?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Okay, so explain something like locked-in syndrome. Surely if there were no "you" there as a consciousness, no one would report this documented medical condition.
I don't understand the problem. Locked-in syndrome is just full body paralysis, right? Paralysis is real. What part of that requires a soul (or soul analogue or inner self or whatever you want to call it)?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is a perfect identical combination of molecules that I have still me?
I don't understand what this sentence means. Are you asking if an identical copy of you is also you? Given that "you" is an arbitrary label, it's matter of perspective.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

For extra wtf, consider taking a person and then building a perfect copy in the same room, every memory, neuron, molecule, atom is identical. Shoot one in the head. Did you kill someone?
Legally, who knows? But effectively, once you create a duplicate of someone that duplicate is also a person. If you kill someone and then bring them back to life, did you kill anyone? Yes. The real question is, does anyone care? If a teleporter kills you and then brings you back to life in a different location, you presumably don't care because you got what you wanted (ie. to be in the second place instead of the first). If it does it the other way around, you still probably don't care because you can't tell the difference.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

I don't understand the problem. Locked-in syndrome is just full body paralysis, right? Paralysis is real. What part of that requires a soul (or soul analogue or inner self or whatever you want to call it)?

I don't understand what this sentence means. Are you asking if an identical copy of you is also you? Given that "you" is an arbitrary label, it's matter of perspective.

Legally, who knows? But effectively, once you create a duplicate of someone that duplicate is also a person. If you kill someone and then bring them back to life, did you kill anyone? Yes. The real question is, does anyone care? If a teleporter kills you and then brings you back to life in a different location, you presumably don't care because you got what you wanted (ie. to be in the second place instead of the first). If it does it the other way around, you still probably don't care because you can't tell the difference.

I care because it's a simulacrum, not me. I guess this is hard for goons to grasp but I like being alive and would rather not trade it to a different set of the same atoms.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Isn't there some creepy Canadian cartoon that discussed this issue

Edit: yup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdxucpPq6Lc

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I care because it's a simulacrum, not me. I guess this is hard for goons to grasp but I like being alive and would rather not trade it to a different set of the same atoms.

What's so special about "your" atoms? If you can't perceive any difference in your "new" atoms, who cares? This isn't some "lol goons" thing, you're just getting hung up on some meaningless technicality that would only be an issue if you made it into one in your mind.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

What's so special about "your" atoms? If you can't perceive any difference in your "new" atoms, who cares? This isn't some "lol goons" thing, you're just getting hung up on some meaningless technicality that would only be an issue if you made it into one in your mind.

It's not "my" atoms, I'm dead and gone.

IDK how this is so hard, people are finite. If you delete me and then re-assemble the same atomic structure, using different, disgusting foreign atoms, that's an exact copy. Copy. The original person is now dead, and not having any experiences.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Aug 10, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's not "my" atoms, I'm dead and gone.

By any objective standard, you're perfectly fine, just somewhere else. You're arguing that something you can't prove exists has been killed.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
misogynoir is a bad word. It's an awkwardly forced portmanteau that requires like, the seventeenth word you'd think of when trying to come up with a synonym for black, awkward to say aloud, and can't be turned into a verb or an adjective. The intersection between misogyny and racism is an important issue, and it's a shame that somebody came up with such a terrible word for it and other people accepted it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
wait, THATS what it means?

edit: oh i thought it was a term for "misogynist black person"

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Aug 10, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

misogyschwartz

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

If you assemble a second copy of me I do not begin experiencing the world through the sensory organs of the second copy. It is a separate person. If you destroy the original, my experience ends.

To itself or any outside observer the copy is me for all intents and purposes, but it is a separate sentience.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Dross posted:

If you assemble a second copy of me I do not begin experiencing the world through the sensory organs of the second copy. It is a separate person. If you destroy the original, my experience ends.

To itself or any outside observer the copy is me for all intents and purposes, but it is a separate sentience.

Who cares? We will never, ever get to that level of technology so this is just a philosophical circlejerk.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dross posted:

What is the "I" you think is doing the experiencing? What is it that ends? Without any kind of mystical force, what differentiates the "original" from the "copy"? In what sense is the "copy" not legitimately you?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Who cares? We will never, ever get to that level of technology so this is just a philosophical circlejerk.

Assuming that teleportation even is a level of technology that can be got to seems pretty shakey, imo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

People care because the idea of "self" is a conundrum that has been pondered since literally the dawn of man, and thought experiments like that help. It's not about literally figuring out how teleportation would work.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

People care because the idea of "self" is a conundrum that has been pondered since literally the dawn of man, and thought experiments like that help. It's not about literally figuring out how teleportation would work.

To reiterate, imho the "self" is nothing but your collected experiences, memories and personality. It doesn't matter if it's in a copy, a computer, it's "you". Your atomic makeup is constantly changing, there is nothing special about the atoms making up your body right now. Everything that is "you" is in your brain. If you can transport those things into a different set of atoms making up a brain, then it is still you.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

To reiterate, imho the "self" is nothing but your collected experiences, memories and personality. It doesn't matter if it's in a copy, a computer, it's "you". Your atomic makeup is constantly changing, there is nothing special about the atoms making up your body right now. Everything that is "you" is in your brain. If you can transport those things into a different set of atoms making up a brain, then it is still you.

We're literally arguing about the difference between objectivity and subjectivity here.

To reiterate, if you make another me, I am not subjectively him.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

What is the "I" you think is doing the experiencing? What is it that ends? Without any kind of mystical force, what differentiates the "original" from the "copy"? In what sense is the "copy" not legitimately you?

It's me, the sentience typing these words. An exact copy is fine for everyone else but as me, I'd rather keep typing as long as possible. I'd love to pal around with someone who has my exact experiences but they would, still, be a different, independent person.

So you're fine with me shooting you dead as long as I make a perfect clone first?

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Aug 10, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So you're fine with me shooting you dead as long as I make a perfect clone first?

As long as my clone has all my memories/experiences/personality and doesn't have the memory of the other host dying.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So what do you think happens while you and your clone are still alive? Do you somehow see through both sets of eyes?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

misogynoir is a bad word. It's an awkwardly forced portmanteau that requires like, the seventeenth word you'd think of when trying to come up with a synonym for black, awkward to say aloud, and can't be turned into a verb or an adjective. The intersection between misogyny and racism is an important issue, and it's a shame that somebody came up with such a terrible word for it and other people accepted it.

I assumed this was going to be internet slang for opinions on women that belong in old black and white detective stories

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

EmmyOk posted:

I assumed this was going to be internet slang for opinions on women that belong in old black and white detective stories

that would be much more interesting and comedic, so we cant have that

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

As long as my clone has all my memories/experiences/personality and doesn't have the memory of the other host dying.

RIP in peace other host, sorry about the violent death

What would you do if i told you that two identical copies of a thing are not the same thing

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Aug 10, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

RIP in peace other host, sorry about the violent death

We're talking an extreme hypothetical here - first we need to be able to perfectly clone someone including all their memories/experiences/personality, and then we need to have a reason to destroy the original one. I would question why it's necessary to kill the other one, since there is no reason why there can't be two of me living (although it would lead to twice as many terrible posts on this forum), but I would feel no attachment to the original host. All the important bits that comprise "me" have lived on, I don't care about the lump of meat I was wearing before.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

We're talking an extreme hypothetical here - first we need to be able to perfectly clone someone including all their memories/experiences/personality, and then we need to have a reason to destroy the original one. I would question why it's necessary to kill the other one, since there is no reason why there can't be two of me living (although it would lead to twice as many terrible posts on this forum), but I would feel no attachment to the original host. All the important bits that comprise "me" have lived on, I don't care about the lump of meat I was wearing before.

That's insane

Like yes I want to pass on my ideas but otoh I'd rather do it myself rather than doing seppuku and having some copy do it. Are you indifferent on being alive vs dead? If yes then please seek counseling.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The parts i care about wouldn't die though, which is my whole point.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

You are still wearing that lump of meat. That lump of meat is you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

So as long as you don't feel an attachment to somebody, it's ok to have them murdered?

If the lumps of meat that aren't you aren't significant, would it be OK to kill literally everybody who isn't you in the universe?