Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

NHO posted:

I heard the rumors that 9S could lie in the same bed with 2B in this segment?

you heard wrong. 9s will just have to stand in a corner of the room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

It says something about our society (or perhaps culture) that this scenario makes for a fairly acceptable joke (and would be considered cute by some people), but if you reversed the genders I'm pretty sure you'd get a bunch of people calling the man a total creep and consider it unacceptable and not funny. And it says something about my thought process that that's where my mind went after seeing this. I have an unfortunately strong desire to point out double standards I guess.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

and why isn't there a White History Month anyway

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Here's a thought.

Stop now.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I officially apologize for making my intentionally lame joke and opening the door to this

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I wonder what Yoko Taro thinks of himself going from 'writes for a lovely dynasty warriors knockoff' to 'heading up a very successful game'.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Drakenel posted:

I wonder what Yoko Taro thinks of himself going from 'writes for a lovely dynasty warriors knockoff' to 'heading up a very successful game'.

I seem to recall seeing a tweet from him saying he was incredibly moved by how successful Automata was. You'd have to ask someone other than me for anything more in depth than that.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Yoko Taro seems simultaneously overjoyed and bewildered at Automata's success. He's a guy that's 'humble', in that he really doesn't know how to deal with spotlight. In all of his interviews he's stressed how little work he did on Automata compared to the guys and gals at Platinium. Then in one segment where they interviewed him and Yosuke Saito (one of his drinking buddies) at the same time, Saito pointed out that Taro was extremely hands-on with the project from start to finish.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Put simply, he'd rather be a background element but that ceased being possible years ago when he dropped 50 foot tall cannibal space babies on us.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Half the interviews with him also sound like he was scared it was just going to go completely unnoticed due to all the other big Q4 '16-Q1 '17 titles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I get the impression that Yoko Taro is basically a dorky dude making stuff inspired by things he likes who is deeply uncomfortable at being praised above what he views as his level. Which is a lot more endearing that the dudes who make stuff inspired by things they like and take it as a sign they're god's gift to (x0

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think Yoko Taro can really be summed up by pointing out that the mask isn't a gimmick (well, not ONLY a gimmick), he's chronically shy in the public spotlight and that's how he's able to cope.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
pretty sure the mask and the hand puppet were just him trying to embarrass square so theyd stop making him do interviews and public stuff but instead square told him to just keep doing it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Iretep posted:

pretty sure the mask and the hand puppet were just him trying to embarrass square so theyd stop making him do interviews and public stuff but instead square told him to just keep doing it.

What an ironic twist, the mask and puppets designed to bring himself less attention only led to more attention and thus more of the interviews that make him feel so uncomfortable.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What an ironic twist, the mask and puppets designed to bring himself less attention only led to more attention and thus more of the interviews that make him feel so uncomfortable.

I think someone mentioned this earlier in the thread and said it seemed an appropriately Drakengardy thing to him to him. His plans achieved the opposite of what he intended, which I'm pretty sure is a thing in a weapon story or two.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
:allears: It's just so Yoko Taro of Yoko Taro to troll himself.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taro isn't under the mask anymore. It glides through the hallways that were once Cavia, trailing a cloak of shadows behind it and feeding on the blood of the unwary

But on the other hand, it goes to interviews for him, so really it's a win-win

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
taro gets trolled

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Tunicate posted:

Taro isn't under the mask anymore. It glides through the hallways that were once Cavia, trailing a cloak of shadows behind it and feeding on the blood of the unwary

And it has a sassy sockpuppet sidekick.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

taro gets trolled

high pod *high pod*

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Iretep posted:

Can you blame them, though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDL3Q86ofY

If this isn't art, then I don't know what is. :colbert:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
RIP, Taura Takahisa, brutally murdered for his fuckin' sweet shirt

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

RIP, Taura Takahisa, brutally murdered for his fuckin' sweet shirt

It's nice how you imagine Taro would offer the sweet release of death so quickly.

I like the optimism.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Stephen9001 posted:

I think someone mentioned this earlier in the thread and said it seemed an appropriately Drakengardy thing to him to him. His plans achieved the opposite of what he intended, which I'm pretty sure is a thing in a weapon story or two.

Taro mask weapon story when?

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Idk how many of you play Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius, but they're doing a world event that brings in Nier Automata characters, as well as letting you craft weapons from that series.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Any chance of weapon stories?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Didn't Yoko Taro say at some point he wears the mask/sock poppet so people won't be judging games based on his association with them and instead judge them on their own merit? I remember hearing somewhere that he didn't want to build a cult of personality that affected people's opinion of his games.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

SpookyLizard posted:

Didn't Yoko Taro say at some point he wears the mask/sock poppet so people won't be judging games based on his association with them and instead judge them on their own merit? I remember hearing somewhere that he didn't want to build a cult of personality that affected people's opinion of his games.

It kind of failed.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
To be fair, we had an association with him to them before the mask and sock puppet; we expect his games to be batshit crazy, because of Drakengard :v:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

SpookyLizard posted:

The way he put it was something like "If I found out this erotic novel I'd been enjoying was actually written by a balding middle-aged man, I would be pretty disappointed, wouldn't you?"

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Tunicate posted:

I don't know if this got mentioned earlier in the thread but one time on a Nier Automata related stream in May, Yoko took his mask off and it was actually Platinum's Hideki Kamiya. So it might be more effective for getting out of interviews than people realise.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I look forward to when Id does the DLC because one of the arenas is loving bullshit and 100 times harder/more frustrating than anything in the main game.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I don't know if this got mentioned earlier in the thread but one time on a Nier Automata related stream in May, Yoko took his mask off and it was actually Platinum's Hideki Kamiya. So it might be more effective for getting out of interviews than people realise.

I find the idea that he just grabs random people he knows and gets them to do interviews posing as him to be very amusing. I hope he actually does that more often than anyone realizes.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

This is a classic mask strategy pioneered by MF DOOM, I'm glad to hear it's caught on outside the hiphop world.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Obligatum VII posted:

I find the idea that he just grabs random people he knows and gets them to do interviews posing as him to be very amusing. I hope he actually does that more often than anyone realizes.

There's actually no such person as Yoko Taro. He exists only as a collective identity worn by a bunch of people, all of whom think they're just covering for him this one time.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Now I'm just imagining Yoko Taro's weirdness combined with Hideki Kamiya's tendency to mercilessly own people on Twitter :allears:

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Any chance of weapon stories?

Brave Exvius does have descriptions on weapons and armor but not quite the same. The weapons coming in for the event might reflect their corresponding story, and one of the armors seems to be basically a Battle unit's body.

Hopefully Yoko Taro's mobile game gets a global release.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Obligatum VII posted:

Yoko Taro has never been on camera because he is actually the cameraman.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

From the Brave Exidus thread

too :effort: to link the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I only just recently noticed the metal stitching on his mask. Wondering what's up with that I looked it up...

They broke his loving mask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2vgRgEds9A

• Locked thread