Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't really spent much time in FFXIV endgame before, so sorry for the probably dumb question:

Should I be taking item level hits to make sure I have better stats for my job? For example, if I'm a RDM, and a lot of the gear that would be an ilevel upgrade for me has Spell Speed, would I be better off with an ilevel 320 piece with DH/Crit than an ilevel 330 piece with DH/Spell Speed? Or is an ilevel upgrade always priority #1 and secondary stats should mostly be considered for melds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You're only getting better secondary stats though, the item level also adds more primary stats which usually have way higher weights. If you're trying to increase your preferred secondary stats beyond materia, you usually have to get gear of the same item level from another source.

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 10, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Actually, that's something else I wonder. What exactly does item level measure, anyway? I sort of assumed it was the stat budget like in some other games with item levels, but NQ and HQ crafted gear have the same item level but different stats.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

Actually, that's something else I wonder. What exactly does item level measure, anyway? I sort of assumed it was the stat budget like in some other games with item levels, but NQ and HQ crafted gear have the same item level but different stats.

It works just like in those other games. NQ and HQ are different quality levels, like pink/green/blue drops eg. I'm not sure if FF14 follows a constant formula for the item budget, but "same item level but higher item quality" = "more stats".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

orcane posted:

It works just like in those other games. Gear quality (NQ/HQ, pink/green/blue etc. drops) determines the stat budget. I'm not sure if FF14 follows a constant formula, but generally "same item level but higher item quality" = "more stats".

Ah, okay, I think the fact that NQ/HQ gear didn't have a different "color" made me think they were considered the same "rarity" by the game but that's probably what the HQ icon is for.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hommando posted:

I need advice from someone who understands gear progression better than I do. Do I upgrade my pants from 310 to 330 or wait a week and upgrade my 320 weapon to the 330 one? This is healer gear.

I was going to go with the pants, but I have someone telling me to prioritize the weapon.

Use this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ekB-egzV3I4lUSVCnqk7m8nDFc-eRsann5m92nwzbRM/edit#gid=0

Just plug in your current stats in the blue column and your stats with the upgrade in the green column, and it will show you (approximately) how much your dps will increase. It doesn't take skill/spell speed into account, so it's not 100% accurate.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

orcane posted:

It works just like in those other games. NQ and HQ are different quality levels, like pink/green/blue drops eg. I'm not sure if FF14 follows a constant formula for the item budget, but "same item level but higher item quality" = "more stats".

Gear stats follow a very rigid formula in this game. All items of the same ilevel will have the same amount of weapon damage, main stat (str/dex/int/mnd), and vitality. They then have two different sub stats (crit, det, DH, etc), one which is major, meaning it is capped for the item, and one which is minor, or about 2/3 of the amount of the major stat. The "color" of the gear actually doesn't matter at all, with two exceptions. One is NQ crafted gear, which just has worse stats all around. The other is pink or aetherial gear, which has a random assortment of sub stats.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh also I forgot that there are green and blue crafted items, which can be NQ or HQ, and which have the same stats as NQ or HQ white gear of the same ilevel. So the color of the item literally means nothing, except for pink gear.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Made it to enrage on O3S for the first time, 11% left on the boss. I think we can get it this week, wish us luck

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Has the summer event started?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

Has the summer event started?

Yes, please go get your dyeable cheerleader outfit.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zeg posted:

I heard bloodstorm was p good compared to the cold tower expansion of snowy towers.

How long are the Excal queue times?

Like maybe a minute during primetime.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh also I forgot that there are green and blue crafted items, which can be NQ or HQ, and which have the same stats as NQ or HQ white gear of the same ilevel. So the color of the item literally means nothing, except for pink gear.

I seem to remember way back when if you had a green drop and a blue drop of exactly the same ilvl (without taking crafted hq into account), the blue item would have a marginally higher stat budget. And relics definitely had a higher stat budget than blue raid weapons of the same ilvl (though the relic never caught up in ilvl until the very end of a cycle).

For right now though, that doesn't really matter since you won't have any green dungeon drops at the same ilvl as tome and Omega gear.

E: now that I think of it Shisui gear is pretty much stat equivalent with Alexandrian gear so they must have equalized green/blue at some point.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 10, 2017

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hommando posted:

I need advice from someone who understands gear progression better than I do. Do I upgrade my pants from 310 to 330 or wait a week and upgrade my 320 weapon to the 330 one? This is healer gear.

I was going to go with the pants, but I have someone telling me to prioritize the weapon.
Well you basically have no where to go with the weapon at 320 other than the 330 weapon unless you are killing Neo Exdeath. Your pants at least have two other options before you tap creation tokens or drops. So I'd grab weapon with tokens and grab either the normal Omega pants via 4 springs or buy the crafted pants if you need something right now. The crafted option is the weaker of the two unless you want some piety.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Hommando posted:

There's only +1 damage going from 320 to 330 and there's only an 16 point increase in mind and the pants give me 29 extra mind points.

"only" +1 damage is huge, and you hosed up

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thundarr posted:

I seem to remember way back when if you had a green drop and a blue drop of exactly the same ilvl (without taking crafted hq into account), the blue item would have a marginally higher stat budget. And relics definitely had a higher stat budget than blue raid weapons of the same ilvl (though the relic never caught up in ilvl until the very end of a cycle).

For right now though, that doesn't really matter since you won't have any green dungeon drops at the same ilvl as tome and Omega gear.

E: now that I think of it Shisui gear is pretty much stat equivalent with Alexandrian gear so they must have equalized green/blue at some point.

I'm almost certain that's never been the case. Of course way back when the game first came out there were barely any items of the same ilevel with different colors. ARR relics also definitely didn't have higher stats for their ilevel in any way. This actually caused a problem because they were the same ilevel as Allagan weapons from Coil, which meant that if you had a relic (and most people who raided did), your final reward would be a sidegrade at best. They fixed this by increasing Allagan weapons to i95.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Hommando posted:

There's only +1 damage going from 320 to 330 and there's only an 16 point increase in mind and the pants give me 29 extra mind points.

weapon 👏 damage 👏 trumps 👏 all 👏 other 👏 stats 👏

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm almost certain that's never been the case. Of course way back when the game first came out there were barely any items of the same ilevel with different colors. ARR relics also definitely didn't have higher stats for their ilevel in any way. This actually caused a problem because they were the same ilevel as Allagan weapons from Coil, which meant that if you had a relic (and most people who raided did), your final reward would be a sidegrade at best. They fixed this by increasing Allagan weapons to i95.

I remember Zeta claws being notably better than Dreadwyrm claws and the final Anima punchers absolutely had higher substat caps than the Alexandrian ones. Though again, not until the very end when raiders had their weapons for months already. 2.1 relics may not have followed that pattern but I wasn't around at the time.

And I could have sworn that for example the original relic blues you got from your job quests were better than dungeon and GC gear of the same level but it's been so long.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thundarr posted:

I remember Zeta claws being notably better than Dreadwyrm claws and the final Anima punchers absolutely had higher substat caps than the Alexandrian ones. Though again, not until the very end when raiders had their weapons for months already. 2.1 relics may not have followed that pattern but I wasn't around at the time.

And I could have sworn that for example the original relic blues you got from your job quests were better than dungeon and GC gear of the same level but it's been so long.

Unless they changed something, no. The only difference is that you could allocate your relic stats, but you still had the same total substat budget, so you could make them crit/det instead of det/crit. HW relics did have a slightly higher substat budget (equivalent of having two major stats), but they didn't have the same ilevel as raid weapons until the very last step.

The blue armor you got from quests was better than dungeon gear of the same required level, but that was because they had a higher ilevel.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is the stat weight set for Monk in 3.4, like a year ago, just as a basic example of stat weight.

WD: 15.459
STR: 1.000
DET: 0.212
CRT: 0.297
SS: 0.173

A single point of attack power was worth something like 70 Crit or 90 SS (15.4 /.173)

And this is a job with a relatively small difference between substat and weapon damage. Here was dark knight's stat weighting:

STR: 1.000
VIT: 1.000
WD: 26.547
DET: 0.380
CRT: 0.530
SS: 0.315
Parry: 0.011

Stat weights in general are a funky thing and as the amount of a substat hits certain levels or the devs tinker with things these levels will change so the stats in this post are extremely outdated (rip vit for damage). It's likely that WD is even more valuable for all jobs now since we seem to be growing in power almost exponentially with each expansion.

This is just showing that Weapon damage is not just better in every situation, it's better by a few orders of magnitude. Always be taking the +1 WD over ANYTHING else.

(numbers were taken from https://dervyxiv.wordpress.com/stat-weights/)

Jinh fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 10, 2017

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
This game follows a strict item budget, except when it doesn't. There's several categories of items, such as blue 320 gear having 2 sockets and the same stats as crafted 320 gear which has 2 sockets and allows overmelding which has the same substats as wondrous tails greens that have 5 sockets. Then there was the time determination cost more per point on the budget but you could have relic weapons with determination that cost the same as other substats. So on and so forth.

also chant this into a mirror with the claps if you are having problems understanding stats:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

weapon 👏 damage 👏 trumps 👏 all 👏 other 👏 stats 👏

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Could be that was it and I was just mis-remembering the actual difference of blue gear having a larger boost to ilvl than green gear of the same equippable level. Which stopped meaning anything once your reached level cap anyway.

I'd check my Zeta claws for the amount of crit/det on them but they got eaten by the anima quest two years ago so welp.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is there a way to tell if quests rewards are craftable items? I need to clear my inventory and I'm not sure what I can throw out :(

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If the quest reward is HQ, it should be craftable, as is most white gear. If you want to make sure, databases like http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/) tell you where an item comes from, it will have crafting professions listed too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xun posted:

Is there a way to tell if quests rewards are craftable items? I need to clear my inventory and I'm not sure what I can throw out :(

Almost every single non-unique quest reward is craftable, and if it can't be crafted, it can be repurchased from the Calamity Salvager.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Xun posted:

Check the Calamity Salvager in the three main cities. They will resell you most unique quest rewards. Things like post-initial relics and all Anima weapons have their own unique vendors, and the ilvl90 artifact cannot be repurchased aince those weren't initially quest rewards, and can still be obtained through the tokens dropped in snowcloak and the other similarly tiered 50 dungeons.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 10, 2017

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

We got o3s without effort this after a week where all our wipes were 1-2% due to an absurd number of "I probably didn't get enough sleep" wipes. Exdeath so far is entertaining, but I think I'm going to back to SCH on it rather than Noct.

Also Monk pvp what's the trick to not getting screwed after you kill someone? Just pick off stragglers and never engage the blob?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
for what it's worth, i'm a career scholar main and a dumpster-tier ast player, and i'm still using ast in o4s right now because it's so much easier to keep up with the hp/shielding requirements

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
never engage the blob when you're melee. this is true no matter what class you're playing.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

for what it's worth, i'm a career scholar main and a dumpster-tier ast player, and i'm still using ast in o4s right now because it's so much easier to keep up with the hp/shielding requirements

At this point I'm hedging that being a career SCH probably benefits me more than wondering where all my oGCDs are on Noct. But we've only had one half night on it.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Hommando posted:

Did you miss a few weeks of tomestones or something? You should have gathered enough by the time you cap next weeks to have bought a weapon, a chest/leg piece, and a ring.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I missed a week of tomestones because of the bar exam and vacation, but thanks to pld priv i'm not behind on gear.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

nuru posted:

At this point I'm hedging that being a career SCH probably benefits me more than wondering where all my oGCDs are on Noct. But we've only had one half night on it.

I find SCH substantially easier for Exdeath, since there are a couple points in the fight where AOE healing on the move is necessary, and indom's shorter cooldown turns out to be more useful than lightspeed's raw power (you can't lightspeed both black holes).

But dear god, AST is way easier on Neo.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I have a question. I'm coming back after a relatively lengthy hiatus and now I'm wondering, is RDM actually any good? I know it's a DPS class so I'm not expecting to be able to side heal or anything, I'd just like a good breakdown on the strengths and weaknesses of the job and maybe a guide.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

I have a question. I'm coming back after a relatively lengthy hiatus and now I'm wondering, is RDM actually any good? I know it's a DPS class so I'm not expecting to be able to side heal or anything, I'd just like a good breakdown on the strengths and weaknesses of the job and maybe a guide.

Something like 90% of the casters that have cleared O4S are RDM, and my static's RDM has pulled a ton of clutch raises while the healers were busy healing. It's a good job.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
RDM also has a very low skill floor (and a fairly low ceiling too), meaning you'll reach "good enough" skill faster than most other jobs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

RDM is a good class. They have a really simple playstyle which makes it very hard to screw up SUPER badly and bring a lot of bonus utility.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

nuru posted:

You may find it helpful to take a look at when both your co-healer and you are casting specific OGCDs. It could be that your WHM doesn't know the right skills to use when during the fight.

For example, as a WHM, I use 100% of my swiftcasts for abilities that are not ressing during Exdeath, at very specific points in the fight. Assize and Divine Seal are also very carefully timed, along with Plenary.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I have a noob question. If you're not level 70 yet (actually 41) is it worth messing around with materia and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Imagined posted:

I have a noob question. If you're not level 70 yet (actually 41) is it worth messing around with materia and poo poo.

no. Just vendor materia below grade IV and don't bother melding until you have gear you'll stick with for a while, usually not until level 70.