Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

Unfunny Poster posted:

So rather a random question as I'm getting back into playing after like a year or so and was never close to passable. What are good things to practice/focus on doing as a relative newbie to get better?

Eg. in Dota 2 learning a heroes animation speed to get a last hit is rather important to know which is why some people suggest doing like 5 minutes of a bot game every day to practice just last hits. Is there anything like that to be done for CSGO or is it just "play the game, learn through osmosis"?
HS only deathmatch servers 100 kills per day

Stumbletron fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Bhop only servers, 100 world records a day

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Unfunny Poster posted:

So rather a random question as I'm getting back into playing after like a year or so and was never close to passable. What are good things to practice/focus on doing as a relative newbie to get better?

Eg. in Dota 2 learning a heroes animation speed to get a last hit is rather important to know which is why some people suggest doing like 5 minutes of a bot game every day to practice just last hits. Is there anything like that to be done for CSGO or is it just "play the game, learn through osmosis"?

From my quoting of my re-posting the last time somebody asked, on page 486 (2 pages before you asked), here:

The link at the bottom has a bunch of practice maps

Also, read more than the last page of the thread.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
We're lucky in cs in that there's plenty of avenues to practice your mechanical skills outside of matches, but in the end it does boil down to just playing the game more. So much of it comes down to gamesense and the only way to develop that is by playing a ridiculous amount of cs

It's honestly disgusting to consider, but until you've put in at least 1000 hours (generously lowballing here) into the game you'll still be a dumb baby who barely understands what's going on

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Bohemian Nights posted:

We're lucky in cs in that there's plenty of avenues to practice your mechanical skills outside of matches, but in the end it does boil down to just playing the game more. So much of it comes down to gamesense and the only way to develop that is by playing a ridiculous amount of cs

It's honestly disgusting to consider, but until you've put in at least 1000 hours (generously lowballing here) into the game you'll still be a dumb baby who barely understands what's going on

It is sad that this seems like the right answer isn't it? I mean I enjoy my CS hours as much as the next cool cat, but imagine what we all could accomplish if we spent 1000+ hours of each of our short lives collaborating on something else.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I think it's safe to say that most people in this thread do spend 1000+ hours collaborating with other people on something besides CS.

That's like, 6 months at a job.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

surc posted:

I think it's safe to say that most people in this thread do spend 1000+ hours collaborating with other people on something besides CS.

That's like, 6 months at a job.

I don't understand your point. Obviously most of us who play CS also have a job where we spend more time. My question was about what would happen if the time spent playing CS was allocated to something else. Not making a value judgement either, just seems interesting to think about.

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

What Mr pink is saying is, "Uninstall you fuckin noobs"

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

*Eyes Widen*

"So many hours I could have been jerking off, wasted!!!"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Michael Scott posted:

I don't understand your point. Obviously most of us who play CS also have a job where we spend more time. My question was about what would happen if the time spent playing CS was allocated to something else. Not making a value judgement either, just seems interesting to think about.

So you're saying I should quit my job to play more CS?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Push El Burrito posted:

So you're saying I should quit my job to play more CS?

Yes

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
You can get reasonably good in about 3-400 hours. It's not really a bad thing, it speaks to the fact that it is a game with an extremely high skill ceiling. To actually make it competitively, which few people really do anyway, you probably need a minimum of 2.5k hours.

Realistically, CS and all videogames are a massive loving waste of time. But so are nearly all 'pass-times'. If you stopped to consider how much time you could dedicate to self-improvement and becoming a better person, you'd probably go crazy. Almost nobody operates like that. And learning ten languages, programming, reading all of classical literature and so on are equally pointless in the long run without a goal in mind. Do what you enjoy.

If that doesn't do it for you, there are people out there who have probably sunk like 20% of their waking life on WoW.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

My point was that obviously you would be productive in whatever you spent the time on instead, which you can tell because everybody in this thread has already spent that much time on other poo poo like school or a job.

There's nothing to think about there. It is a no brainer.

If you want to do more productive poo poo than play video games, spend the time you are playing video games doing productive poo poo instead of playing video games.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Michael Scott posted:

You're the loving worst.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I've put a couple of hours into leisure and now the min-max build for my life is ruined!

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
cool cat with another hot take

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Unfunny Poster and Peavs???? I thought I had stopped playing dota???

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I mean, if you actually had someone who knew what constructive practice was it wouldn't take as long... But still this is Vidya games so its just here for fun so we should all shut the hell up

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

drunken officeparty posted:

Unfunny Poster and Peavs???? I thought I had stopped playing dota???

csgo is the same as dota but everyone has a gun

everyone spends too much time farming kills
no one buys support items
people don't listen teammate info and die 3v1 or don't show up to winnable fights
theres usually a foreign guy with an open mic where you can hear children/a tv in the background

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Jeza posted:

You can get reasonably good in about 3-400 hours. It's not really a bad thing, it speaks to the fact that it is a game with an extremely high skill ceiling. To actually make it competitively, which few people really do anyway, you probably need a minimum of 2.5k hours.

Realistically, CS and all videogames are a massive loving waste of time. But so are nearly all 'pass-times'. If you stopped to consider how much time you could dedicate to self-improvement and becoming a better person, you'd probably go crazy. Almost nobody operates like that. And learning ten languages, programming, reading all of classical literature and so on are equally pointless in the long run without a goal in mind. Do what you enjoy.

If that doesn't do it for you, there are people out there who have probably sunk like 20% of their waking life on WoW.

This is good stuff, helps me put it in perspective. My post was only about that thought I have while playing cs "What if I spent all this time on more productive things?" and I thought it was a question worth posing. It wasn't a hot take lol.

Turk you've been nice in private steam messages and your SA jerk persona sucks, it's more insufferable than even me. MM with me goons.

VVV edgy!

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 10, 2017

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Michael Scott posted:

Turk you've been nice in private steam messages and your SA jerk persona sucks, it's more insufferable than even me.

Shut the gently caress up Mr pink

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Luna Was Here posted:

Shut the gently caress up Mr pink

:same:

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Guys, I think what Mr Pink is trying to say is that he's changed, and has obviously thought about things he can do outside of CS/Video Games as a whole. He's turned a new leaf, for sure.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Garfu posted:

cool cat with another hot take

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

CS:GO - imagine what we all could accomplish if we spent 1000+ hours of each of our short lives collaborating on something else.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Macnult posted:

CS:GO - imagine what we all could accomplish if we spent 1000+ hours of each of our short lives collaborating on something else.

*a montage of subio goons charging crystals plays*

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Unbound posted:

Guys, I think what Mr Pink is trying to say is that he's changed, and has obviously thought about things he can do outside of CS/Video Games as a whole. He's turned a new leaf, for sure.

I think I might have laughed the hardest at this post than anything else today.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

VideoGames posted:

I think I might have laughed the hardest at this post than anything else today.

That's my goal every day, VG.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Michael Scott posted:

He's not laughing with you, idiot

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Michael Scott posted:

uh, it was my post Mr Pink, quit trying to take credit

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!

Michael Scott posted:

Seek help.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

drat good play on both sides.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
mr . stink

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Who's up for a nice game of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mcvey posted:

Who's up for a nice game of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive?

me

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

now just set a timer for like 2-3 hours and then go reread that post when it goes off

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

ThePeavstenator posted:

now just set a timer for like 2-3 hours and then go reread that post when it goes off

Same tbh

Let the goonmans commence in like... 4 or 5 hours

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Peavs whats your mm rank

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Playing CS during daylight hours is insane in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU