Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I like that after all the psychotic requests she puts smiley faces or fun comments, as though that somehow balances out the garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Intense "hair stroke" by cute pharmacist [20s/F]

quote:

I apologize if this is not the right place to post this. I'm currently single. I [26/M] was at a pharmacy yesterday and as soon as I got up to the counter the pharmacist [20s/F] checking me out started stroking her ponytail rapidly. Is this a kind of body language or is it nothing? Thanks

tl;dr: What does the "hair stroke" body language mean?

quote:

She probably had a knot in her ponytail she needed to remove...

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Danaru posted:

You are a knot in her ponytail that needs to be removed...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

My sister too a shower, but I didn't. Before you got in the tank, you see girls "pretend" to pull their ponytails, but don't.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Fil5000 posted:

I like that after all the psychotic requests she puts smiley faces or fun comments, as though that somehow balances out the garbage.

Much like tigers and other big cats, her smiles are just a predator showing you their fangs.

Danaru posted:

Intense "hair stroke" by cute pharmacist [20s/F]

:spergin:

A woman [?F] whose dog I [15F] care for had an extremely rude reaction to my pet mouse and I don't really know how to reply. Non-Romantic

quote:

submitted 12 days ago by Momtoamouse
Hi!
I've been taking care of a dog, Tom, for a few months now almost every week day. He comes over to my house and I walk him.
His owner, Susan, knows that I have pet mice that I adore. She shuddered when I originally told her but has never had an adverse reaction or been outright rude.
I was holding my male mouse when she arrived to pick up her dog. I didn't want to leave her waiting in order to put him back as he's rather clingy and hard to put back into his tank.
He's incredibly hand tame, so holding him firmly I went outside with the dog to put the dog in the car.
The second she laid eyes on my mouse she screamed "oh oh don't put that thing near me!". I was stunned and froze. She instructed me to put the dog into the car but keep the mouse away from her, muttering under her breath about how disgusting my mouse was the whole time.
When I was done putting the dog in the car I said a curt "bye" and turned to leave. I didn't wait for her response and headed back in. She shouted after me "I'm very scared of mice!" And then drove away.
I'm really bothered by this. I understand having a fear but she was outright rude and I feel like she needs to apologize. I don't really want to interact with her anymore. Am I overreacting? My mouse is basically my baby, I adore him.
TLDR: woman whose dog I walk called my mouse disgusting and told me to keep it away from her, offering the explanation that she's scared of mice. I have a very bad taste in my mouth and am very offended, but she's an adult and I'm a teenager and I don't know what to do..

:spergin::spergin:

[update] Me [15F] with women whose dog I walk [?F] Had a rude reaction to my pet mouse Updates

quote:

964 points 58 comments submitted 9 days ago by Momtoamouse to r/relationships
Original post: https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/6q7o48/a_woman_f_whose_dog_i_15f_care_for_had_an/
I realized that I was in the wrong. I'm really bad at reading social cues sometimes but I asked my therapist and she said that shuddering is a sign that people associate something with negativity.
I sent the woman an email and apologized and said I was simply taken by suprise but was really sorry for scaring her.
I said I wouldn't even mention him again and that I would also make sure nothing related to my mice were in photos of her dog I sent her.
She told me that she was sorry for reacting badly but that she was just scared and didn't mean to make me feel badly at all.
So yeah. Everything is okay and I learned some stuff about fears and social cues.
Thanks for the harsh but true feedback.
tl;dr: Apologized and everything is okay.

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Scared of mice, jeez lady, are you from a 60s Tom and Jerry cartoon?

(I joke, just to be sure, phobias are phobias)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
talking to people saves the day

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Rodents are disgusting

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Rodents are disgusting

Mice are totally fine, they're cute.

Rats are gross, though. And are walking tumor factories.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

WampaLord posted:

walking tumor factories.

Mods?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

This one was interesting because the poster just 100% sucks and there's not a single redeeming thing

I [31M] regret breaking up with my dream girl [25F] of 8 Months

quote:

I'm so embarrassed to even be sharing this, but here goes:

I had my dream girl. It took me nearly an entire year of pursuit to build up the confidence to make her officially mine but I pissed it away in less than that span of time.

I knew I wanted her when I first saw her: gorgeous, perfect smile, body, very kind and sociable, and successful.

She was the kind of beautiful where we couldn't go anywhere without someone complimenting her for it - waiters, walkers, you name it. I still don't know how I could have gotten so lucky.

From the moment we started dating she had been a perfect girlfriend: always patient, always kind, funny, witty, outgoing, giving, great cook, nurturing, affectionate, amazing in bed, and career driven.

There was never a day that went by without her texting me a "good morning/night handsome" text.

I once had an awfully stressful time at work and to top it off my flight back to the city for our first date in a long time (due to my permanently hectic schedule) was cancelled, meaning I had to call off a 3rd date in a row. Every other woman I'd dated would have walked away or thrown a fit at that point, but she instead surprised me by ordering me lunch to my office the next day knowing I arrived home at around 2am. The single most amazing thing anyone's ever done for me.

She was the first girlfriend to ever buy me a birthday gift or to cook me an amazing breakfast 'just because'. The first to accept my busy career and even encourage me to shoot higher and achieve my goals.

I've spent a long time trying to come up with one good reason I called it quits and I literally can't. She was everything I could have ever dreamed of finding in someone, but I took her for granted. I never purposely wronged her or anything, but after about 6 or 7 months into the relationship - when things started to get extremely serious - I got scared.

Scared of how much of myself I'd have to share with someone for the first time, scared it was all too good to be true, and scared she would realized she deserved someone better than me.

So I did what any other idiot would do: I began pushing her away. I'd stopped kissing her except before bed, having sex, and asking about her day instead of talking out my fears with her.

She tried to be understanding for the first month but eventually became exhausted and insecure about my feelings because of the lack of physical and emotional intimacy, and asked me to come over to talk.

I assumed she was as impulsive as I was and wanted to breakup with me in person, so when we sat down to talk, I told her I wanted to breakup because I knew I was an awful boyfriend.

She was shocked and hurt because she thought we could talk about our relationship issues like adults. I instantly regretted my stupid decision, especially after seeing her cry, but I was too proud to admit to have made a mistake.

It's now been just over a month since we broke up. I haven't been able to even think about dating anyone else and I know she has to have been on at least one date by now.

We got together a couple of days ago to talk about the breakup and exchange things we left at each other's homes, but I was too scared to ask her to turn back time and take me back despite my gigantic mistake and gross under-appreciation of her. She told me she missed me and all I could do was tell her I missed her too. I feel like that was her attempt to try and talk reconciliation, but my lame response probably has her thinking I'm over the breakup when in reality I'm anything but.

What can I do to get the love of my life back? Have any of you been this stupid?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

WampaLord posted:

Mice are definitely not cute when they are uninvited visitors in your home

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

My (29/M) photographer gf (30/F) of 3 years poses a lot of pictures of other people but me online and on her website.

We see plenty of insecurity stories in this thread, but jesus christ dude

EDIT:

Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

loving lol

I [16F] was on medication and accidentally asked my friend [16M] for a hookup. He was interested, and I don't know how to turn him down without feeling awful

quote:

Just going to call my friend bob

I was woozy after having a dentistry procedure and asked bob, in my drunken state if he'd "Netflix and Chill". He's on holiday and I've got two weeks and a weekend to face it. I just feel awful. I've spoken to my GBF for advice who has been friends with bob for much longer than I have, who reckons I should tell him sooner rather than later and just explain I wasn't in a sound state of mind. The thing is I'm not interested in bob like that, nor am I ready for any kind of hookup. I have to tell him this through text but I'm not sure how to say it.

TL;DR Asked a friend for a hookup while on meds, he was interested. I'm now not and don't know how to tell him without feeling awful

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ham Sandwiches posted:

loving lol

I [16F] was on medication and accidentally asked my friend [16M] for a hookup. He was interested, and I don't know how to turn him down without feeling awful

"Hey, did I call you or anything last week? Because I was high as BALLS and can't remember a thing."

There, now you've given him an out.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh christ, it's boner confessor: the article

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Mice are definitely not cute when they are uninvited visitors in your home

Yea but we're talking in the context of a pet mouse, here.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

See if you can find the very subtle moment that this post changes tone. Oh yeah it's long as gently caress I'm not bolding poo poo

Me [26F] with my boyfriend [25M] 1.5 yr, not speaking because he didn't come over last night.

quote:

This is a minor issue and I'm almost embarrassed to post about it but somehow I'm absolutely distraught and unable to get over it. Also fair warning I'm unnecessarily verbose so this is much longer than it needs to be. So TLDR at the top in case you are lazy lol

tl;dr: I don't have a lot of free time, on my one night/day off my BF didn't spend time with me for reasons I deemed trivial, fight ensued. I feel insulted and that he doesn't value my time, but he won't speak to me until I apologize. What to do?

To begin, I'll be somewhat cliche and declare how amazing my BF is. He's tall and smart and kind and charismatic; he doesn't have an insidious bone in his body. He gets uncomfortable if a discussion turns to gossip because he doesn't like the nastiness of it. He'll be the first to help a person and the last to be offended by lack of gratitude. He's a serious traveler and has got friends in what seems like EVERY country. So he's literally loved world-wide. Since I've known him, he's helped me bring my credit score from good to great, my savings have doubled, he's taken me on trips abroad for the first time, he's introduced me to many things I'd never have even thought of experiencing on my own, and we're currently in the process of buying a multi-family home for me (us) to live in to make money on while simultaneously saving on rent. I genuinely cannot express in words how amazing this man is. He's generous in bed, my friends love him, my family loves him (I think my dad might be as distraught as I should we ever break up), we have so much fun together... I simply absolutely adore him. Whatever henceforth may or may not taint your opinion, he is undoubtedly an objectively good, wonderful person.

So, more relevant background info. I work a poo poo ton. I'm gone from 5am to 8pm (often later) about 3-4 days a week, and the last day or two are either off or I work a "half" day (from 5 to anywhere from 1 to 6ish). Also work Saturdays sometimes. It's an unusual job.. I don't want to go into specifics but I work cases of varying lengths and in any case we are under-staffed so at the moment I have been picking up the slack. It hasn't always been like this but for the past 5 months or so this is my norm. It's absolutely exhausting. I've been burning out and even mildly considering quitting until I got a fat bonus check recently and reassurance from my boss that it won't be this way forever. We'll see I guess..

Anyways, working that much leaves little time for anything else. I wake up at 4:15 to leave at 5, so by the time I get home at 8 I barely have time to eat a pre-prepared meal and brush my teeth if I want to get a full 8 hours. Obviously I want my life to be more than work, eat, sleep, so I usually stay up to cook dinner and browse reddit or watch a show or something. If BF is over (which is most of the time), I will make food for us, we'll cuddle and watch TV, be intimate and make it to bed around 10. I don't mind this as I LOVE cooking and I love spending time with him, so I see the sacrifice on sleep as totally worth it.

The reason I'm posting is that I got off early yesterday (before 1!!!!!!) and have today off, and was seriously looking forward to spending actual real quality time together w my BF and it DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!????!?!?!?!?!!!!! I reminded him all week of my schedule. When he came over night before last, I told him that if that meant he couldn't come over last night then I'd rather he stay home and come over the next day so that we could actually spend REAL time together enjoying each other instead of me needing to go to bed or worrying about how tired I'd be at work the next day. He still came over and said 'no guarantees'..... Then ended up not coming over the next day.

I'm honestly absolutely furious. Part of the reason I'm so pissed is that BF doesn't even have a real loving job. He lives with his mom so he doesn't pay rent, makes low-effort commission on an old sales job, and does work for his uncles for FREE. He actually definitely has stuff to do lots of the time but he's never paid for it which is a shame bc he's saving his uncles tons of money by providing free labor. And in any case it is certainly not like my job. But he wasn't even doing ANYTHING important yesterday or today!!! His mom is a hoarder and has given up on their home so BF wanted to clean the house. Can't get rid of anything without upsetting her but keep it livable. An important task for the health of mom especially but regardless it's something that can be done at ANY TIME. Why can't he do it on the days I work????????? Which is all the loving time?????!?!?!?!?!?!??

So yesterday, he was cleaning the house (slash playing hearthstone..) all day. I reminded him the day before, yesterday morning, and after I got off work that I wanted to hang out. I went to the grocery store and got food for us for lunch and dinner. He didn't make it for lunch which was fine because I passed out for literally FOUR HOURS immediately after I ate. That will tell you how tired I am. After that we talked on the phone and got a little irritated w each other over phone behavior (another post) and I think that's when he decided when he wouldn't come over last night, to punish me. He had told me he wouldn't make it over till late so it's 9 at night at this point and I've made a seriously LOVELY dinner for us to enjoy together and he informs me that he won't make it over bc he wants to continue cleaning his mom's house today. BEAR IN MIND THAT THEY LIVE 30 MINUTES AWAY AND I COMMUTE AN HOUR EACH WAY TO WORK EVERY SINGLE DAY. SO I SEE STAYING OVER THERE FOR THE EXCUSE OF NOT DRIVING AS ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT.

Soo as you can tell I'm incredibly agitated by this situation. Then later that night he tells me he's at his friends house watching Rick and Morty and I flipped my poo poo at him. In all honesty I used inappropriate language, I called him an rear end in a top hat and said gently caress you a few times. That's genuinely the worst of it. But basically I accused him of taking me for granted, not valuing my time, etc. I started it off with suggesting that we not talk for a week until he learns how to value my time.... yeah it was bad I was really pissed. Anyhow all he said was "yikes" and "I'm down to not talk for a week"

I suppose I should apologize for being so rude and irate in my messages but I just can't bring myself to do it. I give EVERYTHING to this man. If you're familiar with the five love languages, I give every single one of them to him to the absolute best of my abilities. I absolutely adore him, I give him endless complements, I give nonstop physical affection (both sexual and non-sexual), I do anything he asks of me, I genuinely worship this man and do anything in my power to make him happy. Granted I am NOT perfect, I deal with a TON of personal issues that make me seriously difficult to deal with (as my writing probably betrays) but no one could accuse me of not being loving or not prioritizing my relationship. So in that light I'm just seriously, seriously INSULTED that he would do this to me. I cherish our time together and what do I get in return? On my one night off he goes to watch cartoons with his loving guy friend?!?? I'm exhausted and burnt out and all I want to do is spend a nice night in with my boyfriend and I repeatedly make that clear to him and he can't even do that for me. I have a nice apartment, I pay a lot in rent, I don't even ask him to help me out all I ask is that he be his wonderful self and spend time with me and prioritize US! He's normally sooo good at that.. If this situation were the norm I would have peaced out ages ago. But it's not, so I'm here, and I'm furious.

I have a feeling he won't talk to me until I apologize but again I can't bring myself to apologize because I feel so insulted and rejected and betrayed. But at the same time I love him so much, I hate being away from him and I especially hate not speaking, I can't stand the state we're in. It has to be fixed but I'm still too upset to be the first to throw in the towel.

How do I fix this obviously minor issue? How do I swallow my feelings and be the first to apologize? Or else how do I make him see where I'm coming from? ugh

tl;dr: I don't have a lot of free time, on my one night/day off my BF didn't spend time with me for reasons I deemed trivial, fight ensued. I feel insulted and that he doesn't value my time, but he won't speak to me until I apologize. What to do?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

Oh christ, it's boner confessor: the article

Here, I found WampaLord: the article

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ham Sandwiches posted:

loving lol

I'm afraid the law means you have to go through with it. An unconditional offer was made and accepted, creating an oral contract. To back out now would subject you to civil penalties.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

See if you can find the very subtle moment that this post changes tone. Oh yeah it's long as gently caress I'm not bolding poo poo

Me [26F] with my boyfriend [25M] 1.5 yr, not speaking because he didn't come over last night.

Nope, I failed.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I loving adore this stupid piece of poo poo. I want to love his goddamn head under the water until the bubbles stop.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I'm afraid the law means you have to go through with it. An unconditional offer was made and accepted, creating an oral contract. To back out now would subject you to civil penalties.

Libertarian spotted.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's like she obeyed the "mandatory essay describing why you'd even date this fucker" suggestion from a few pages ago but wasn't able to integrate it into her post very well. Also, the first thing she has to say about why she likes him is that he's tall :can:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Ham Sandwiches posted:

This one was interesting because the poster just 100% sucks and there's not a single redeeming thing

quote:

Have any of you been this stupid?

Almost, but not quite.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
She broke up with me, which I can appreciate from a tactical perspective

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I hate that guy, but basically because he's me in my early 20's, and I hate me in my early 20's.

I pursued her for literally years from high school on, finally managed to snag her when I came back on leave cutting a leaner figure in my uniform. Like 18 mos later we were married.

I thought she was being the unreasonable one because she wanted me to take her out and do nice things for her and not spend like 5 nights a week playing Smash Brothers and Warhammer and poo poo with my friends. I moved out because I found out she started talking to some guy in Arizona online while I was gone either at class or work or dicking around with friends every waking moment and maybe I was being a neglectful selfish rear end in a top hat but I wasn't cheating.

Thanks for reading my post, and don't get married in your early 20s.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Have any of you been this stupid?

I'm real fuckin stupid and even I have never been this stupid. Jesus christ what a brokebrain idiot.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

WampaLord posted:

mice are stupid, violent dicks though, while rats are friendly and intelligent

e:

Fil5000 posted:

"Hey, did I call you or anything last week? Because I was high as BALLS and can't remember a thing."

There, now you've given him an out.

nah, this is a very bad approach because it creates the impression she might secretly have a thing for him and a [16M] usually doesn't know poo poo about poo poo and has debilitating hormonal issues- she needs to be straightforward and honest here, which sucks because it's probably going to be incredibly awkward, but what isn't at that age?

LGD fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 10, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

LGD posted:

mice are stupid, violent dicks though, while rats are friendly and intelligent

Rats can be bitey assholes too. The only truly docile and harmless pet is a chimpanzee rescued from the personal zoo of a Colombian drug lord.

My[48M] GIRLFRIEND [21F] says it's wierd and dangerous that my chimpanzee [17M] sleeps in our bed but he's totally harmless. Non-Romantic.

Edit:
[Update] My[48M] GIRLFRIEND [21F] says it's wierd and dangerous that my chimpanzee [17M] sleeps in our bed but he's totally harmless. Non-Romantic.
I was wrong.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 10, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Nobody was ever scared by a pet rock.

Probably.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Inescapable Duck posted:

Nobody was ever scared by a pet rock.

Probably.

I taught mine to attack

I [36F] just broke up with my partner[42M] of five years, and it was severely underwhelming. Thoughts?

quote:

I [36F] just broke up yesterday with my live-in partner of five years [42M].
The breakup talk lasted about a minute and a half, and then we both went back to surfing our phones. For real.
I know we have both been burned out by the seemingly constant bickering, lack of sex, and growing apathy between us. But this was by far the most apathetic breakup I've ever experienced.
We were together for five years in a very serious, monogamous relationship, and it took a minute and a half for it to be all over.
I'm curious to know if anyone else has had a really, really underwhelming breakup with a long-term partner?
Most of the time, when I think about long-term breakups, I guess think about sobbing, or introspection, long talks about how the couple tried, or... just anything involving feeling. This breakup just feels.... so surreal.
Seriously, has anyone else had a relationship that just imploded in apathy? I can't be the only one?
help reddit how do I get my drama fix

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

:quagmire:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Haifisch posted:

I [18M] feel like my friendship with girl [20F] who I met in an MMO is becoming too much of a commitment.

I remember once getting very mad at my otherwise chill group of friends that they counted my alt getting magic boots from a boss in Kharazan against the allotment for my main as well, making me miss out on a staff I wanted for my warlock. Al for some garbage rogue boots. The unfairness of it all, they never told me that loot distribution was by player not character, and I had switched to my rogue to help us with that encounter!

I was on the warpath for about 90 seconds before I took a step back and realized I was getting caremad about magic boots in a video game.

Enjoying MMOs is a sign of mental illness.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I taught mine to attack

I [36F] just broke up with my partner[42M] of five years, and it was severely underwhelming. Thoughts?

You outlined that both of you were mutually done for a long time, and this was the signature on the document. Maybe focus on why you continued to soldier on unhappy for multiple years at the age of thirty loving one.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I taught mine to attack

It was unprecendented. I mean, it was the first truly mutual breakup in relationship history. No rejection, no guilt, no remorse.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Ham Sandwiches posted:

:owned:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Intruder posted:

My (24 M) wife (29 W) made a disturbing comment about weed that bothers me.Relationships

Essentially: my wife gets super horny if she smokes weed so she makes sure not to put herself in a situation where this could lead her to cheat, and THIS UPSETS ME FOR REASONS

I've been catching up on this drat thread and it blows my mind how dude's reaction to his wife telling him she gets SUPER HORNY while high was anything except immediately railing the poo poo out of her and then doing it some more after she smokes up a bunch. I can't even imagine how pathetically insecure this fool is in his sad daily life, let alone the bedroom.

Wife: "Please stick it in me right now! Hurry!"
Idiot Dude: *mumbles angrily to himself about imagined slight* *goes back to playing League of Legends*

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Police say they can seize my property when I am not breaking any laws [TX]

quote:

So this actually happened a while back, but I am curious to see what the outcomes would have been had I not backed down. I attend a public university in Texas where there is a policy of "no motorized vehicles on campus, meaning you cannot ride your moped to class and whatnot. However there is a "loophole" (or an obvious sign that the policy is out of date) where they specifically only ban motorized scooters/ motorized transportation devices. They then go on to describe said devices as "two wheeled devices designed for transporting one person with a deck designed to allow a person to stand or sit, and is propelled by an electric or gas motor".

Recently I had purchased a One Wheel, and I was using it to travel from the parking lot to class when I commuted. One day I got stopped by the campus police and I was told that this motorized vehicle was forbidden on campus, which prompted me to research the campus policy on the matter. To my delight I discovered that my device fit snugly within the policy guidelines, and was by definition allowed on campus. I printed out the school policy and decided to carry it around with me instead of confronting the campus PD (I would rather ask for forgiveness than permission). A few weeks go by, and I get stopped again by the same officer who is now a little pissed off that I directly disobeyed him. I pull out the policy and begin to plead my case to him, but he was having none of it. He threatened to seize my One Wheel if he saw me ridding it again. I told him I understood where he was coming from, but I still believed I was in the right. I asked to see the chief of police, and he told me where the main office was.

After class I went to the office to talk to the chief, and show him that my device does in fact fit within the policy. Before I began to assert my point I decided it would be best to play the inferior, and I got him to arrogantly admit a few things. For one he said they have no hand in writing nor interpreting the policy; it is their job only to enforce what has been written. I then proceeded to show him what was written, and man you should have seen the look on his face. The best thing he could come up with was that I was obligated to enter into some sort of "gentleman's agreement" that I would not ride my One Wheel on campus until "This whole thing blows over". Apparently he was catching a lot of flak from parking and transportation about the surge in motorized vehicles on campus. My main question here is can the police seize my property if I have broken no laws? I understand the thing about civil forfeiture, but the police are not the party I have infringed upon and the court would decide that. Also I am a little pissed because the One Wheel cost me $1600, and I purchased it per the university policy statement.

Edit: I feel like I am not making it clear. At the very most I am breaking a school rule; the police cannot punish me for breaking a school rule.

He didn't use a throwaway, and spoilers, he's exactly the kind of person you think he is

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I thought this would be a civil forfeiture thing where I was gonna be outraged and side with the OP but I sort of hope he dies from an exploding vape ("technically I'm not ACTUALLY smoking furthermore")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Danaru posted:

Police say they can seize my property when I am not breaking any laws [TX]

He didn't use a throwaway, and spoilers, he's exactly the kind of person you think he is

"I'm not touching your face! I'm not touching your face!"