Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

qkkl posted:

Every Jew who moves to Israel knows very well the suffering Palestinians had to go through in order for that to happen. And they accept it, just like meat eaters accept that animals had to die to provide the meat.

I feel like this has to be some kind of Tolberone Triangle level of parody or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

it is NOT OKAY to deny hot black jews to the future of the holy land, and those behind this scheme are doing harm to their undoubtedly horny children

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I feel like this has to be some kind of Tolberone Triangle level of parody or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxKrn8Aqa0A

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

lollontee posted:

Courtesy of the DnD I/P thread, which I love so very deerly
if you persuaded that guy a little, he'd say that it's ethical to sterilize ashkenazi jews. after all, we're all descended from 350 or so people from six to eight centuries ago and it's not good to perpetuate tay-sachs, a much higher rate of breast and ovarian cancer compared to the rest of the general population, and other disorders caused by such a dramatic genetic bottleneck

either that, or he'd whine about eugenics without a hint of irony

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 03:51 on Aug 10, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Related video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfjsq587alY

Owns so loving hard.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

:rip: Finkelstein's tenure

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

*The assassins from a 1970s bond film break into your house* "Actually Israel is really good."

:psyduck: Just what... what the gently caress!

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

twoday has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Aug 10, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lol

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ya, ya, laugh it up, but guess who'll look like an rear end when when the CIA files are leaked. :colbert:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Is the answer no?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

apparently we're supposed ot feel bad for some buy to let landlord who got doxxed

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Is the answer no?

It's always no.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jose posted:

apparently we're supposed ot feel bad for some buy to let landlord who got doxxed
i don't condone doxxing but that doesn't mean we should have sympathy for landlords, who are the worst group of people in the world

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

get that OUT of my face posted:

i don't condone doxxing but that doesn't mean we should have sympathy for landlords, who are the worst group of people in the world

I'd like to clarify that my disgust is targeted at residential, inherited landslumlords, basically the landed gentry of New York. The management/investment companies that own all the majority commercial/office space buildings I don't really have a problem with (yet).

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'd like to clarify that my disgust is targeted at residential, inherited landslumlords, basically the landed gentry of New York. The management/investment companies that own all the majority commercial/office space buildings I don't really have a problem with (yet).

remember how long it took to rebuild the WTC because the landlords were holding out for a better price?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

nah they're poo poo too. they constantly keep storefronts empty so that big-money chains can take a space instead

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
A consistent if generic hot take:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this is better, crossposting from the "mock someone" thread. naturally, it is a tweetstorm

https://twitter.com/KyleKulinski/status/896470704908107776

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/896520378494865408

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/finestmarxman/status/896572393694535680

https://twitter.com/shaun_jen/status/896626198931013632

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 08:06 on Aug 13, 2017

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Is the answer no?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge%27s_law_of_headlines

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Is this about :biotruths: or is it something. really stupid
Edit: it is about :biotruths: and peer review and bias in science, so it really doesn't belong here

im on the net me boys has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Aug 13, 2017

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/...genumber%3D5576

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

this one is correct though? Science is a process for building models that reflect our perceptions of reality. It isn't capital-T Truth

or are you going to argue race science was True

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Minty posted:

this one is correct though? Science is a process for building models that reflect our perceptions of reality. It isn't capital-T Truth

Byolante is a low tier troll

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Minty posted:

The results of science doesn't need to reflect our preexisting perceptions of reality, that's the whole point. Science is a process to seek truth, and out of all such processes it's the most likely to give us literal truths.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
*faaaaaaart*

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The results of science doesn't need to reflect our preexisting perceptions of reality, that's the whole point. Science is a process to seek truth, and out of all such processes it's the most likely to give us literal truths.

nah

even science anticipates current models being overturned by future models which better describe data etc

like not even science reads your fantasy story above to itself before bed

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Its really weird when not scientist people talk about science

especially engineers, never let an engineer butt in on matters of science, philosophy or w/e
there's 0% chance someone who is earnestly interested and capable in those topics ends up an engineer.

They're all button pushers on bloated salaries because money, not the struggle to greater understanding, is what they sought in life. They got told they're smart as kids and never developed social skills so they butt in a lot but they're basically McDonalds may-I-take-your-order types pressing buttons all day with nothing going on behind the eyes, you can tell when you look at them

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Modest Mao posted:

nah

even science anticipates current models being overturned by future models which better describe data etc

like not even science reads your fantasy story above to itself before bed

Current models being overturned to be more accurate doesn't contradict what I said, it supports it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

this process is predicated on understanding that science does not create knowledge, but is rather a method by which we test assumptions for errors

what you are calling 'knowledge' is our 'preexisting perceptions of reality.' science works due to the understanding that those perceptions being based on science does not make them true.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

this process is predicated on understanding that science does not create knowledge, but is rather a method by which we test assumptions for errors

what you are calling 'knowledge' is our 'preexisting perceptions of reality.' science works due to the understanding that those perceptions being based on science does not make them true.

Exactly. I didn't say that preexisting perceptions had to be unscientifically created. Nor did I mean to imply that the results of the scientific process are to be set in stone as the one truth forever. Hypotheses are by definition falsifiable, and experiments repeatable, for a reason.

Also since we're getting philosophical here, I should specify that when I said "literal truth" I mean practical truth as opposed to absolute truth, i.e. it's useful to us as humans but we can't be 100% certain of it in a philosophical sense.

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Science literally can not seek "Truth", as you already pointed out yourself. It merely creates models, which must be able to make predictions. If those models do not make predictions that align with our actual observations, then we (hopefully) form new models that do. Those observations, whether direct or indirect, are absolutely governed by our current perceptions. And those models, no matter how accurate or precise, are not reality. C'est n'est pas une pipe and all.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Modest Mao posted:

especially engineers, never let an engineer butt in on matters of science, philosophy or w/e
there's 0% chance someone who is earnestly interested and capable in those topics ends up an engineer.

They're all button pushers on bloated salaries because money, not the struggle to greater understanding, is what they sought in life. They got told they're smart as kids and never developed social skills so they butt in a lot but they're basically McDonalds may-I-take-your-order types pressing buttons all day with nothing going on behind the eyes, you can tell when you look at them

here's my submission for the thread

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Minty posted:

Science literally can not seek "Truth", as you already pointed out yourself. It merely creates models, which must be able to make predictions. If those models do not make predictions that align with our actual observations, then we (hopefully) form new models that do. Those observations, whether direct or indirect, are absolutely governed by our current perceptions. And those models, no matter how accurate or precise, are not reality. C'est n'est pas une pipe and all.

I guess you and I were using the word "perception" differently. But for practical purposes, if a model can be explained by a process, and that process is something that exists in physical reality (which we have know way to really know yadda yadda yadda) then science has found a truth at least in the colloquial sense. And of all our methods of inquiry it's the best at doing that. That's all I'm saying. I think a few folks (or maybe just Modest Mao) have a chip on their shoulder and want to assume because I defended science I'm a positivist, or I think science is God, or at the very least I loving Love It, but no. I just think it's useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I guess you and I were using the word "perception" differently. But for practical purposes, if a model can be explained by a process, and that process is something that exists in physical reality (which we have know way to really know yadda yadda yadda) then science has found a truth at least in the colloquial sense. And of all our methods of inquiry it's the best at doing that. That's all I'm saying. I think a few folks (or maybe just Modest Mao) have a chip on their shoulder and want to assume because I defended science I'm a positivist, or I think science is God, or at the very least I loving Love It, but no. I just think it's useful.

I'm just going to say you are confusing symbols with what they represent, and should probably read more on epistemology, especially in regards to representationalism and realism

The word is not the thing, a map is not a territory, etc etc

eta: no one is "attacking" science here

Minty has issued a correction as of 04:44 on Aug 14, 2017