Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

swansea definitely won't miss all those free kicks he scored

He scored 2 last season. Poor man's Coutinho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

sassassin posted:

He scored 2 last season. Poor man's Coutinho.

Everton is the perfect team for him then.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Man City
Spurs
Arsenal
Everton
<the rest>
Huddersfield
Stoke
Burnley

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Arsenal
City
Liverpool
Tottenham
United
Chelsea
<Everyone else>
Burnley
Brighton
Huddersfield

Someone has to put in a cheeky prediction for the Arse.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Shoren posted:

Arsenal
City
Liverpool
Tottenham
United
Chelsea
<Everyone else>
Burnley
Brighton
Huddersfield

Someone has to put in a cheeky prediction for the Arse.

Arsenal do better the more people poo poo on them in preseason, but now you've ruined it.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Arsenal's entire season basically depends on Xhaka and Ramsey being consistently good in midfield and I'm not confident at all that will happen.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Arsenal's entire season basically depends on Xhaka and Ramsey being consistently good in midfield and I'm not confident at all that will happen.

I am confident they will be consistently good in the 3-4-3, but I am not confident that they will stay healthy, or that the 3-4-3 will continue to work as well as it did last season.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

wicka posted:

I am confident they will be consistently good in the 3-4-3, but I am not confident that they will stay healthy, or that the 3-4-3 will continue to work as well as it did last season.

At this point I'm not willing to distinguish the improvement from when they switched to the 3-4-3 from their usual end of season run of form. I'd like to be proved wrong, but most likely Arsenal will fumble their first few games, go on a nice run, collapse around December, and then get it back together for the run-in when it's already too late.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

At this point I'm not willing to distinguish the improvement from when they switched to the 3-4-3 from their usual end of season run of form. I'd like to be proved wrong, but most likely Arsenal will fumble their first few games, go on a nice run, collapse around December, and then get it back together for the run-in when it's already too late.

This Is Our Year to collapse in a different and unforeseen way

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Raffles posted:

Definitely putting a punt on Rafa being the first manager to walk
Ashley got a gypsy lawyer to draw up a cursed contract and Rafa can't walk for the next 3 years without buying out his remaining time or else he can't work which is like dying a death for him.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
injuries and squad depth will determine the season imho

1. Manchester United
2. Chelsea
3. Liverpool
4. Manchester City
5. Tottenham
6. Arsenal
7. Everton
8. West Ham United
9. Southampton
10. Watford
11. Newcastle
12. Leicester City
13. Crystal Palace
14. Bournemouth
15. West Bromwich Albion
16. Swansea City
17. Burnley
18. Stoke City
19. Brighton and Hove Albion
20. Huddersfield Town

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

There really isn't anywhere else to put this at the moment but they hosed up the League Cup draw AGAIN.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/10/carabao-cup-draw-second-round-mix-up

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Carabao Cup sounds like fried chicken that you get in a bucket

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Merry football day everyone

My prediction:

City
United
Spurs
Chelsea
Liverpool
Arsenal
---
Watford
Burnley
Brighton

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

1. City (although I think they are equally capable of imploding and finishing 4th or below)
2. Liverpool
3. Chelsea
4. United
5. Arsenal
6. Spurs

18. Huddersfield (although I hope they survive)
19. Brighton
20. Burnley

FA Cup: United
League Cup: City
Europa: Milan
Champions League: Real (even though three in a row is ridiculous they look incredibly strong)

Top Scorer: Kane
Player of the Year: De Bruyne
Young Player of the Year: Gabriel Jesus
Signing of the Season: Salah

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I don't understand why people think that City will win the league when the manager is a lunatic who hates defending, there is actual punishment for diving now and the EPL is a league that is defined less by your ability to score goals and more your ability to stay tight at the back and cling on to 1-0 wins.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

tetsuo posted:

Ashley got a gypsy lawyer to draw up a cursed contract and Rafa can't walk for the next 3 years without buying out his remaining time or else he can't work which is like dying a death for him.

Haha there's going to be some absolutely belter press conferences this year if that's the case

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Byolante posted:

and the EPL is a league that is defined less by your ability to score goals and more your ability to stay tight at the back and cling on to 1-0 wins.

Then why didnt Utd win the league the last 2 years :colbert:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

CyberPingu posted:

Then why didnt Utd win the league the last 2 years :colbert:

It turns out Italians are better at match fixing and catenaccio

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Chelsea dirty and flat as Pussy with a hole tottenham hotspurs clarified butter of the dick manchester city you are my private hair liverpool the fly is sitting on WHORE poo poo arsenal penis hair of lizard manchester united glorylory !!!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Apparently the Prem has banned decorative pitch mowing for no discernible reason.

Also we're never going to win the league under Pep

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

chuggo is BACK posted:

Chelsea dirty and flat as Pussy with a hole tottenham hotspurs clarified butter of the dick manchester city you are my private hair liverpool the fly is sitting on WHORE poo poo arsenal penis hair of lizard manchester united glorylory !!!

Source your quotes

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
8 of Newcastle's first 12 matches have been moved to put on TV. Must be really popular to watch since it's usually one team imploding

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

Apparently the Prem has banned decorative pitch mowing for no discernible reason.

Also we're never going to win the league under Pep

It's a rule that UEFA already had in place so they decided to conform to that.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

Shrapnig posted:

It's a rule that UEFA already had in place so they decided to conform to that.

Must only be in PL then, as he's won in spain and germany.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

saihttam posted:

lol

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_7W-h0T618

The Welsh Guardiola has signed another contract

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Also:

1. City
2. United
3. Spurs
4. Chels

14. Albion

18. Burnley
19. Brighton
20. Huddersfield

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax
city will never win the league under pep, his boring sideways passing football has been found out and he doesnt know how to do anything else

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm not making predictions because I honestly don't know what to predict because everyone in last season's top six has some serious problem

City are run by a mentalist who doesn't understand the concept of defending
Chelsea did their "win the league and then don't really strengthen" thing again
Spurs are at Wembley and haven't been very active in the transfer market
Liverpool are very unlikely to make the jump from 4th to 1st with only one first-team signing and having to juggle the Champions League as well, also with Coutinho maybe leaving or being unhappy
Arsenal are Arsenal
United may have signed a couple good players but at its core this is still the team that finished sixth

so :shrug:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I haven't paid much attention to the transfer market but I'm assuming that it'll be Chelsea again or maybe Spurs can actually do it

I have no confidence in Arsenal and it'll be interesting to see how the Alexis drama affects things, beyond that a typical 4th or 5th isn't surprising

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
everyone predicting city will win the league and they've not signed any centre backs or centre midfielders lol

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
1. Manchester United
2. Arsenal
3. Chelsea
4. Man City
5. Everton
6. Liverpool

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

everyone predicting city will win the league and they've not signed any centre backs or centre midfielders lol

Pep learnt at Barca you can just make CMs play at CB and it works out fine in the end, then at Bayern he learnt you can mae LBs play at CM and everything will work out fine. I predict he will field a 3-4-3 with 3 fullbacks, 4 CAMs and 3 inverted wingers. They will pass the ball more than any team has before, score no goals and finish outside the top 4.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
the prem is just too competitive

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
the only accurate prediction is that TRP posters have the worst opinions

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

saihttam posted:

Lol.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

CyberPingu posted:

Source your quotes

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811789&perpage=40

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
1. City
2. Spurs
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal United
5. Liverpool
6. Arsenal

No idea about the rest and cba to look them all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

hadji murad posted:

the only accurate prediction is that TRP posters have the worst opinions

And yet it's still lightyears ahead of whatever else you find out there on soccer.

Which really isn't saying much.

• Locked thread