Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

Oh that. Were there lovely mal-ads on their white list or was it more of a philosophical thing?

i'm guessing both? also interested in this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Oh that. Were there lovely mal-ads on their white list or was it more of a philosophical thing?

E: I'm not disagreeing with the philosophy, I'm just wondering if I need to go check my dad's machine.

https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads

the idea was ad providers could get whitelisted by complying with a set of criteria.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Schadenboner posted:

E: I'm not disagreeing with the philosophy, I'm just wondering if I need to go check my dad's machine.
are you aware of any advertiser cdns with a perfect track record when it comes to keeping malicious ads off their network

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

maskenfreiheit posted:

In theory I don't dislike the idea of a whitelistable ad, given a stringent set of requirements (to be dreamed up by people much smarter than me) and continual auditing.

I just don't believe for a goddamn second that an ad-maker would agree with/meet those requirements in good faith.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

maskenfreiheit posted:

also ublock origin is specifically designed to be much faster, and when i switched over there was a noticeable increase in speed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the abp acceptable ads thing was optional but ublock origin is just faster

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Schadenboner posted:

philosophical thing. there is a population of computer touchers who consider any and all ads to be an unacceptable imposition on their right to look at websites for free. it doesn't matter if it's literally just a small immobile banner ad hosted and screened by the site, they will use whatever software they have to to block it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it's so much faster that they don't bother to check types or exceptions in a lot of cases and fill up my debug console with tons of exception logging whenever i load an SVG file, whee

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads

the idea was ad providers could get whitelisted by complying with a set of criteria.

that criteria includes paying adblockplus money

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

philosophical thing. there is a population of computer touchers who consider any and all ads to be an unacceptable imposition on their right to look at websites for free. it doesn't matter if it's literally just a small immobile banner ad hosted and screened by the site, they will use whatever software they have to to block it.

i'd allow ads hosted and personally screened by the site i'm on, like I allow the funy SA banner ads at the bottom :shrug:

the whitelist was not that, ad CDN's are worse than hitler, etc.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Wait, ABP is bad?

for a number of years now, welcome back from your cave

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

dude just sells ad slots to corporations

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
"better have my donuts" -delonte west

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cinci zoo sniper posted:

for a number of years now, welcome back from your cave

Aww, thanks!

:shobon:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fTz2D6x20U&hd=1

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

if it's actual quantum encryption then the idea is it's basically a very secure way to send key data, after that it's just a boring normal OTP (or a stream cipher or whatever). so basically if anyone intercepts the key data or looks at it or anything you gently caress with the quantum-y bits of the system and it's immediately detectable (in fact it completely prevents you from continuing the connection), so you cancel the transmission before any of the ciphertext is even encoded.

it's hack-proof in that the quantum bits are assured by physics to work that way, and if you use a OTP (correctly use it, that is) you're mathematically assured that the encryption part is "provably secure" too. obviously if you have access to the system on either side of the secure bits then you can hack away

e: also I swear someone already did it from a satellite to a ground station years ago so idk if this is anything new or just China trying to look cool

Or just jam the spectrum or shoot a fuckin tarp or rock at it and its hacked

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

ate all the Oreos posted:

i'd allow ads hosted and personally screened by the site i'm on, like I allow the funy SA banner ads at the bottom :shrug:

the whitelist was not that, ad CDN's are worse than hitler, etc.

I paid for SA No-Ads because some banner ads would randomly slip though my adblocker and they'd be lovely malvertisements that forward the page to YOUR COMPUTER IS HACKED CALL MAC OS TEN SUPPORT NOW

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Gobbeldygook posted:

i basically don't do any web browsing on my phone because if it isn't a known quantity, really good chance i'm going to run into something that hijacks and tries to take me to the app store

but pinky promise, right?

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004
https://twitter.com/mzbat/status/895811803325898753

https://twitter.com/adam_baldwin/status/895812903319724032

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Gobbeldygook posted:

the only site i have ads turned on is this site, and that's only because the ads are sometimes actually good. advertising is bad & should be dead.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommunistPancake posted:

the only site i have ads turned on is this site, and that's only because the ads are sometimes actually good. advertising is bad & should be dead.

netsec ads are good tho, how else you are going to discover up and coming holistic cyber gate?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I desperately and unironically long for something like Contributor to be widely adopted. If micropayments via ad network buys are the vehicle that allow long promised website micropayments for content to actually come into existence, I'm 100% down. All I care is that I don't see loving advertisements, and TediousPenisJokes.com or whatever continues to make money to pay server bills

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Volmarias posted:

I desperately and unironically long for something like Contributor to be widely adopted. If micropayments via ad network buys are the vehicle that allow long promised website micropayments for content to actually come into existence, I'm 100% down. All I care is that I don't see loving advertisements, and TediousPenisJokes.com or whatever continues to make money to pay server bills

i'd like to propose a compromise: how about we keep the advertisements, but you and anyone else smart enough to install adblock don't have to look at them?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The status quo gives us malvertising, and ad revenue primarily for sites visited by people who are not smart enough to use ad blockers.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
it has also given us the last 20 years of the web for free

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

JewKiller 3000 posted:

it has also given us the last 20 years of the web for free

you just didn't pay with cash

also we're on a pay forum, talking about how w/o ads we can't have nice things? lmao

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Internet ads should just be static images or text, although that doesn't solve so many linking to scam sites I guess.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Internet ads should just be static images or text, although that doesn't solve so many linking to scam sites I guess.
does that include tracking cookies

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

anthonypants posted:

does that include tracking cookies

I know it wouldn't work in the real world I'm just white noise posting.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

At least smartphones did a good job of killing off Flash.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Look at that cracker not being very safe. :colbert:

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
Sec fuckup I just became privy to: Our ticket tracking software has an asset management component. The vendor requires a service account that can ssh into a server and needs sudo access. All their tools it runs can get the same data over snmp, but they want ssh access (hard-coded password) and sudo. They say it's safe if you restrict the account in /etc/sudoers

Service Now is garbage.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

At least smartphones did a good job of killing off Flash.

steve killed flash

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

stoopidmunkey posted:

Sec fuckup I just became privy to: Our ticket tracking software has an asset management component. The vendor requires a service account that can ssh into a server and needs sudo access. All their tools it runs can get the same data over snmp, but they want ssh access (hard-coded password) and sudo. They say it's safe if you restrict the account in /etc/sudoers

Service Now is garbage.

oh I remember evaluating that, finding that, and putting that software in the dumpster where it belonged.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

stoopidmunkey posted:

Service Now is garbage.

My last job some VP of operations they hired insisted on buying that product and forcing everyone to use it every time we needed so much as a polite hello from a sysadmin. This was a 100 person company, so not only was it a totally unnecessary enterprisey piece of poo poo, everyone loving hated that thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volmarias posted:

Brave is trying to do something adjacent to this, with THE BLOCKCHAIN.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Maximum Leader posted:

steve killed flash

his best lasting legacy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

stoopidmunkey posted:

Service Now is garbage.

ahahahaha you're on service meow. it's a goddam. dumpster fire

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://twitter.com/lehtior2/status/895551057744470016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns