Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Orv posted:

Look Star Trek Online is... it's troubled, okay? It needs help.

No that's from Star Trek Enterprise. its the Enterprise-J from an alternate 26th Century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That's the Enterprise-J from, uh, Enterprise.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Man I just watched that too.

But don't worry, it's also in STO!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/xbox/star-trek-online/news/detail/10599164

E: Speaking of, if you haven't seen some of the stuff they've used for that game, please 'enjoy' this chart.

http://spidermitch.com/sto/fed/SpidermitchFEDShipChart.jpg

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 10, 2017

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
:barf:

Half that stuff is Eaves pointy bullshit and the other half looks like rejected study models and concept art.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

To be fair, that chart is around 6 years old and Star Trek Online ships made in the last 2-3 years are generally nicer looking. The game's art team does a good job now (and they're the only ones).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Evek posted:

:barf:

Half that stuff is Eaves pointy bullshit and the other half looks like rejected study models and concept art.

When you've got Federation ships looking like they're rolling out of Dominion shipyards, you done hosed up somewhere.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah the new stuff that Thomas Marrone has done the art for is generally pretty drat good. Some of it is a bit Eaves-y, but I like quite a fair bit of it myself. You can even see the full 3D models online: https://www.artstation.com/thomasmarrone

He's also recently been responsible for rebuilding the models for some of the iconic ships from the franchise and they look phenomenal.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'd call that slightly less awful.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

To be fair, that chart is around 6 years old and Star Trek Online ships made in the last 2-3 years are generally nicer looking. The game's art team does a good job now (and they're the only ones).

Yeah I couldn't find a more modern wiki gallery or anything with a cursory google, it's all buried in various ship class pages on wikis.

Some of the stuff they've done is pretty cool looking:

And then there's:

And then the one I can't decide on:

That last one is rad to me but it's not super Trek-y.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Science? The Force?

I can see some sort of cutout or different material there too in the eye area
Kinda reminds me of those sentionaut helmets from Beyond the Black Rainbow, but it looks like there's some sort of grill in the front, so I suppose the actors can sorta make their way around the set without falling over everything. Then again, it's not true space opera if your costumes and makeup aren't specifically designed to torture your actors.

By the way, watch Beyond the Black Rainbow, everyone. It's rad as gently caress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi7aQ-bKziY

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Battlecruiser operational.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ehhhhh...

This one is odd because it's the only time I've ever seen turret like weapons in trek rather than just an "emitter" of some sort. These look like straight up WWII battleship turrets.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 10, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Timby posted:

When you've got Federation ships looking like they're rolling out of Dominion shipyards, you done hosed up somewhere.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Here's my hot take: All Star Trek ship designs are bad.

I don't watch the show to look at spaceships, I watch it for good stories and characters.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Objectively the best STO vessel: the risian luxury cruiser

Here's the top view

:allears:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

This one is odd because it's the only time I've ever seen turret like weapons in trek rather than just an "emitter" of some sort. These look like straight up WWII battleship turrets.

Turret type weapons are a loadout option on most ships in STO. They are still pulse or beam, but they have a wider range of fire and other stat changes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man that generic repeating scifi metal panel texture..

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

WampaLord posted:

Here's my hot take: All Star Trek ship designs are bad.

I don't watch the show to look at spaceships, I watch it for good stories and characters.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I played STO far enough to know that I would have played it all the way to max level if it was all ship combat and no ground combat

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yes hello I would like to fight you with fists on behalf of the Romulan Warbird.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Defiant is the closest thing Star Trek ever got to having a cool ship, and it was only cool because Sisko gives a big speech on how cool it is.

Starfleet really needed to do more bragging about how cool their ships are, but they're "not a military." :rolleyes:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Tunicate posted:

Objectively the best STO vessel: the risian luxury cruiser

Here's the top view

:allears:

reminds me of the lion fish fish from TNG

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Orv posted:

And then the one I can't decide on:

That looks less like a ship and more like a spare part that your 3d printer would spit out for your washing machine

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That looks less like a ship and more like a spare part that your 3d printer would spit out for your washing machine

Or some unholy sea creature.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Klingon dildo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Or some unholy sea creature.

That's why it's great.

The STO ships all over the place in terms of design, but what really drags most of them down are the godawful dark and busy Eaves-esque textures. I think a lot of the Fed designs would look better in simple grey color schemes.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The_Doctor posted:

I really must get around to making an Orville thread. Suggestions for thread title?

I was a fan of this from earlier in the thread (I think):

The Orville: Unlike Discovery, It's Based on Star Trek

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
A Thing That Babylon 5 Did Well: Vorlon ships.

They were very evocative of a race that was alien and incomprehensible to the level of technology of the younger races (ie. us).

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

WampaLord posted:

The Defiant is the closest thing Star Trek ever got to having a cool ship, and it was only cool because Sisko gives a big speech on how cool it is.

Starfleet really needed to do more bragging about how cool their ships are, but they're "not a military." :rolleyes:

Star Trek: Scotty's Drunken Boasts

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

shadok posted:

A Thing That Babylon 5 Did Well: Vorlon ships.

They were very evocative of a race that was alien and incomprehensible to the level of technology of the younger races (ie. us).

Too bad the CG was so awful on them

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

Too bad the CG was so awful on them

The execution doesn't really hold up, but the designs were great.

The Starfury fighter concept was so realistic that NASA reportedly studied it as a starting point for designing a zero-g "space forklift".

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Marshal Radisic posted:

Kinda reminds me of those sentionaut helmets from Beyond the Black Rainbow, but it looks like there's some sort of grill in the front, so I suppose the actors can sorta make their way around the set without falling over everything. Then again, it's not true space opera if your costumes and makeup aren't specifically designed to torture your actors.

By the way, watch Beyond the Black Rainbow, everyone. It's rad as gently caress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi7aQ-bKziY

Hell yeah. Has nothing at all to do with the thread but great movie.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I like the Bird of Prey that looks like it's roughly the size of my car.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
odo's a fuckin quisling

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Paradoxish posted:

I like the Bird of Prey that looks like it's roughly the size of my car.

Jeez, I didn't even catch that. drat that's bad.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CPColin posted:

A particularly erotic chapter from Seth MacFarlane's journal

Nthing this.

What he's saying about it being a "realistic comedy" or whatever sounds like he's taking a show which can be very serious and dramatic at times like Dark Matter or 12 Monkeys, but has some hilarious moments of levity, and just tweaking the dial a bit more in the humor direction. But it will still be grounded. Not sure if that will work, but I'm open to it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tunicate posted:

They're travelling at warp and the front ship just accelerated - the enterprise is correcting its firing angle resulting in the beam being curved

Riker: I want you to curve the beam.
Wesley: How am I supposed to do that?
Picard: It's not a question of how, it's a question of what. If no one told you that particle beams flew straight, and I gave you a giant fuckoff phaser cannon and told you to hit the ship, what would you do? Let your instincts guide you.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching Brothers. Interested to see how they handle child discipline in the 24th century.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Somewhat clever to have Riker ask the boy rhetorical questions to give us exposition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The fuuuuuuck?