Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

AliExpress: Don't you think you're doing something wrong with God? I want to sue you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Holy poo poo that shirt.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sku...2732201025.html

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Choco1980 posted:

Holy poo poo that shirt.

I love the little skeleton going for a walk in the woods.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr....5e206391vJBFB0
This is good because I'm always losing the pieces to my uterus model

EDIT: I found the answer to who ate the bread
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/90-...2660599332.html

ACRE & EQUAT fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 9, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

evobatman posted:

I bought a LeEco Le Max 2 and Meizu EP-51 headphones since I hadn't bought a brand new cellphone for myself since 2004. Same hardware as a Galaxy S7, but at a third of the price. 5,7" 2560*1440 screen. Needed some de-chinification of the interface, but runs what seems to be decently stock Android. Big black border around the screen, no NFC and the vibration is pretty weak, but otherwise a good flagship phone for just $200. Nice metal body construction, and comes with screen protector installed, and a TPU cover to use while you wait for other covers from eBay.

I would like to know more. Like, did you have to root it to get the interface how you'd like? Would I run the risk of having it not run on my local networks? Do you feel okay about getting a critical piece of modern life from aliexpress?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Thanks for this. Now aliexpress thinks I'm obsessed with butts.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Holy poo poo that shirt.

they don't come in womens' cuts, rank sexism :mad:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

I would like to know more. Like, did you have to root it to get the interface how you'd like? Would I run the risk of having it not run on my local networks? Do you feel okay about getting a critical piece of modern life from aliexpress?

I got the X829 variant, which apparently is the unlocked US model, and should work with 4G networks worldwide. No rooting or custom roms necessary, although the scene for that on this phone is pretty big because of the powerful hardware. So far it's still only on Android 6. A 7 update is rumored to be in the works, but with the parent company in trouble that might not happen.

I disabled all the chinese "Le" apps in app manager and notifications, so I barely know they are there. The stock launcher is bad, but it can easily be swapped to Google Now Launcher, Action Launcher, Microsoft Arrow Launcher or anything else you want from the play store, and the same goes for your text app, lock screen and pretty much any other function or app you want to customize. I use Norwegian as my native language. Some text here and there deep in the obscure settings shows up in English, but I haven't seen any Chinese text.

I took a calculated risk on this because of the relatively low price, and the fact that I still have a perfectly fine iPhone 5S as a backup. For $200 I am more than happy with what I got, and I could never see myself paying $600-800 for a brand new unlocked Samsung or iPhone or whatever. It has been a lot of work and experimentation to set up apps, notifications, launcher etc to the way I like it, so I would not recommend doing this for someone not technically curious and inclined, who are just looking for a simple phone to use.

The youtube channel Tech Best shows off a bunch of Chinese smartphones. You should look for something with a Snapdragon 820 or better CPU. The Lenovo ZUK Z2 seems to be the phone of choice now that LeEco seems to be out of the game, but there are many other good choices with nice build materials and powerful hardware. Good sites to buy from are BangGood and GearBest.

I know that some US networks are crazy about only having their own branded devices online, while others like Ting will let you BYOD, so your mileage may vary. My phone got signal right away, but data and MMS settings had to be manually put in.

The bluetooth earbuds were good too, worth $28 shipped.

Oh, and I'm guessing I now have both Chinese intelligence and the NSA watching me instead of just the NSA.

QueenBee
Jun 3, 2010
poo poo gets weird about half way down the page here. Weird even for Ali.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Int...a9-a31e398ca8e4

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

QueenBee posted:

HUH

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the awe-struck kid.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

QueenBee posted:

Pounded in the Butt by Intelligent Creative Hand Gum Transparent Bounce Plasticine Slime light Clay Adults Decompression Fimo Mud Doh Toys Kids Gift

by Chuck Tingle

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

QueenBee posted:

It's pretty ridiculous to see them using snaps from a promo video of the product they're ripping off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_KAUcRBlWs

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab

ozza posted:

Enjoying the fine selection of legitimate Studio Ghibli merchanidse:

You want nightmares? We got ya covered!

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

That looks pretty neat. Are you sealing them at all though, since they're paper?

I'm still going pro/con on the sealing issue. On one hand, don't bathe with your home decor, on the other hand, accidents do happen. On the other other hand, there are a LOT of nooks and crannies and I don't know what would really make it "sealed." And on the fourth hand, I know one color purple I've used will fade in prolonged exposure to sunlight so maybe there's a UV blocking sealant I should get.

Regarding the slime tub, I've found myself using the phrase "Someone masturbates to that," an awful lot lately.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

That70sHeidi posted:

I'm still going pro/con on the sealing issue. On one hand, don't bathe with your home decor, on the other hand, accidents do happen. On the other other hand, there are a LOT of nooks and crannies and I don't know what would really make it "sealed." And on the fourth hand, I know one color purple I've used will fade in prolonged exposure to sunlight so maybe there's a UV blocking sealant I should get.

$$$$ but your pieces would probably look nice in shadowboxes with UV resistant glass/acrylic :shobon:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

That70sHeidi posted:

Regarding the slime tub, I've found myself using the phrase "Someone masturbates to that," an awful lot lately.

there aren't a lot of sealants that work great with surfaces that uneven but some hairspray or something would probably give it a level of protection against non-bathtub moisture

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

QueenBee posted:

Damnit I guess I need to look at this on a desktop? I can't find the weirdness :smith:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Snowy posted:

Damnit I guess I need to look at this on a desktop? I can't find the weirdness :smith:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hm ok I see, very interesting thank you

:jackbud:

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I have given up on my toothpick crossbow ever coming from ebay.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Guy Mann posted:

If you have a Ghibli fan in your life you can get a music box that plays the song from Castle in the Sky for a buck fifty.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

This will be the first thing I've ordered from AliExpress :toot:

Excited to find out if I even get one that plays the right song.

It's here! Only took 9 days, seems crazy fast from what other people say. It even plays the right song! It also came with 3 little screws, for mounting it somewhere.

e: mounting it on a hollow box would probably help the volume too, it's quite quiet.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 10, 2017

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Cross-posting from the recent purchases thread, I got this rad knife for, like, five bucks:

I've also recently gotten a bunch of glitter and cabochons to stick on my face when I go to raves and some pigment powder that I think is meant for nail polish (and is likely made of 120% heavy metals) that I'm going to try and use as facepaint at some point.

fake edit: some of the stickers on my laptop in the background of that photo are probably also from AliExpress

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

That70sHeidi posted:

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

cyberia posted:

Cross-posting from the recent purchases thread, I got this rad knife for, like, five bucks:

I've also recently gotten a bunch of glitter and cabochons to stick on my face when I go to raves and some pigment powder that I think is meant for nail polish (and is likely made of 120% heavy metals) that I'm going to try and use as facepaint at some point.

fake edit: some of the stickers on my laptop in the background of that photo are probably also from AliExpress

I think that can do prismatic damage to ghosts and spirits and stuff

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Ended up purchasing two packs of stickers that were recommended earlier. Pretty good selection from generic skulls to pop culture. I've seen three different Heisenbergs and I've not even gone through all of them yet. Although the stickers are not as bright as I thought. Still good and will stick to almost anything.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

That70sHeidi posted:

I'm sorry to continue the derail, but ask a crafts or a hardware store for clear spray lacquer. It's some sorta solvent based acryl in a spraycan, there's matte and gloss and is the easiest way to apply a thin protective coating on a surface that's so uneven.

To apologize, I present to you a drill for your ears:

I'm honestly both terrified and intrigued.
Get yours here! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/16-...sAbTest=ae803_1

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I'm sorry to continue the derail, but ask a crafts or a hardware store for clear spray lacquer. It's some sorta solvent based acryl in a spraycan, there's matte and gloss and is the easiest way to apply a thin protective coating on a surface that's so uneven.

To apologize, I present to you a drill for your ears:

I'm honestly both terrified and intrigued.
Get yours here! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/16-...sAbTest=ae803_1

Weird drilldo

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Like a duck cock.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I have one of those 500 sticker and a 100 sticker packs on standby for payday so that I can stickerbomb my new computer case and maybe my kegerator

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

:catstare:

It's here! Only took 9 days, seems crazy fast from what other people say. It even plays the right song! It also came with 3 little screws, for mounting it somewhere.

e: mounting it on a hollow box would probably help the volume too, it's quite quiet.

I just got mine today and yeah, if you hold it up it's very quiet but if you set it down on a flat surface and hold it in in place with your fingers it's nice and loud. The fact that it comes with screws for mounting is pretty nice of them, I guess.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Guy Mann posted:

I just got mine today and yeah, if you hold it up it's very quiet but if you set it down on a flat surface and hold it in in place with your fingers it's nice and loud. The fact that it comes with screws for mounting is pretty nice of them, I guess.

Does yours also have a couple sour notes, because once I heard it louder I realized mine did. They're part of the bass/backing and not the melody so I might just try to sand those 2 pegs away. I think the third lowest tine on mine just isn't tuned right.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

That70sHeidi posted:

Maybe check in with the Cosplayer outfit and gadget making thread in DIY for how to seal complicated stuff? I imagine they might be able to reccomend a sealant for things with a lot of nooks and crannies, considering they'd want their Warhammer three million and one outfits to last more than a single convention outing!

Here's the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473045

Also goddamnit! If I had known I could get some cheap slimes from ali I would have bought from there. They make decent gifts for lil kids, and I have enough spare, crappy eye shadows to color the clear slimes. Oh well.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Does yours also have a couple sour notes, because once I heard it louder I realized mine did. They're part of the bass/backing and not the melody so I might just try to sand those 2 pegs away. I think the third lowest tine on mine just isn't tuned right.

I'm tone deaf so I don't know what's the wrong notes and what's just it being a tinny musicbox, sorry.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

cyberia posted:

aren't switchblades illegal in the US :confused: (I'm not sure if yours here is one but the one you quoted in the recent purchases thread sure is.)

???????????????

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Knife laws vary TREMENDOUSLY by state.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pick posted:

Knife laws vary TREMENDOUSLY by state.

For instance, Florida allows you to open carry knives of a certain size or larger without a license as long as you're over 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As long as you open-carry in Oregon, you can have any knife that isn't banned by the federal government.