Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
gonna get home, open some 100 or so hearthstone packs and watch the newest Burn Down poo poo crobbers has come up with

all the while drinking cheap costo chardonnay

gonna be a fuckin good night

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Stay safe agent.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Space Friends, I am getting on an airplane in a few minutes. If my cat and I don't make it...remember us.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
i'll remember that time you peed your pants on stream

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Meridian posted:

Space Friends, I am getting on an airplane in a few minutes. If my cat and I don't make it...remember us.

Remember to drink plenty of liquids before boarding and -optimally- just before landing.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Meridian posted:

Please resist the urge to clip through the door to the cockpit. While funny in Star Citizen, you will run afowl of the space authorities in RL.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Prediction: no 3.0 release until they've managed to run a Citezencon-hyped megasale as a last gasp funding effor. Actually letting the audience try the game before that particular cash cow can be fattened and slaughtered would be a mistake.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Hav posted:

Evocati is a group within the group that gets access to the *cough* builds before anyone else.

Edit: generic latin...

Thank you

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Watching a little bit of SC streaming. The fidelity animations are so unskippable you can't even die until they finish. There's no indication why you died either. And holy poo poo does it take a long time to get into the spaceship. It's so bad.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Beexoffel posted:

Then I recommend to search for 'demo scene music'.

Shall check this out

Meridian posted:

Godspeed!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Spatial posted:

Watching a little bit of SC streaming. The fidelity animations are so unskippable you can't even die until they finish. There's no indication why you died either. And holy poo poo does it take a long time to get into the spaceship. It's so bad.

my favourite is when someone USEs a space ladder and warps to the animation start point, so fidelitious

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

aleksendr posted:

Lesson learned from an old ITsec guru :

First day on the job, create a "Pearl Harbor File".

Whats that ? Everytime you recommend new security best practices, drill, simulation or audit and it get denied, you file the reasons very carefully in that folder, so that the day <Insert security disaster you anticipated but where denied means/funding to prevent> happen, you can very precisely point out who,when and why decided it was not worth listening to you.

poo poo. I remember spending hours with those Intel docs at the university library for a course asking us to code a Tetris clone in assembly language for early pentiums. Got the basic game working for a "B+" (You needed a scoreboard and music to get "A". My "music" was just random noises like a slot machine) but that thing was brutal.

Reminder that RollerCoaster Tycoon was written in x86, you lazy pleb you.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I love how every single context sensitive action in the verse is USE

It's like any food item you buy that says USE BY instead of best before or enjoy by. You don't use food, you eat it! <:mad:>

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

XK posted:

The only time I had a CT, they shot me up with morphine and ativan immediately after. I said it wasn't enough, and they dosed me again. My arm burned on the first dose for a few seconds. After the second, I was chill as poo poo. I then ate a bag of doritos, downed a huge cup of coffee, got driven home from the ER,, and had the best sleep of my life for the next 10 hours.

Sorry about the barium in your chode. Ask for the opiate and benzo combo next time.

It wasn't too bad tbh, the burning only lasted a few minutes and I was fit and able to jump straight on my motorbike and ride home. The nurse in charge of the scan equipment did say I was lucky to have so few ill effects from it, but saying that, I did have a root canal on a hosed molar a week previous without anesthetic due to an allergy to certain chems in the numbing agents and I hardly felt it so I'd say I was a fairly resilient sod. :) I think my dentist at the time was making GBS threads bricks though haha :D

Morphine does tend to give you the munchies :D

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
i think the goonticipation is at a higher level than a backers hype levels are for this weeks episode of star citizen

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I love how every single context sensitive action in the verse is USE

It's like any food item you buy that says USE BY instead of best before or enjoy by. You don't use food, you eat it! <:mad:>

USE BACKER

*buys car*

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/895793942997868544

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Chris must be the only one on earth hoping theirs a nuclear war in the near future.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:laffo:

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
[–]RealPiledrive [score hidden] 11 minutes ago
It's also to do with all the people who play the "offline" mode. they are the main reason for the delay

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Things are getting so loving dumb that I don't even feel like trolling those idiots anymore. They could delay the release to 2019 and those morons would still find ways to convince themselves everything is fine or that it's not CIG's fault.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

what is the issue council

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

"I'm going to define big boy words, but get the definition totally loving wrong."

Critique: ​
to give an opinion or judgment about a piece or work, book, film, etc.

This totally proves my point that these idiots are incapable of self initiated critical thinking. They just follow what they are told and accept that as fact.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Jedi Master Lenny you just need to sit down and pet some rabbits.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome! posted:

what is the issue council

It's the place where you submit issues and bugs for them to fix. Right now most of those issues and bugs are 3 years old and unfixed so it works!

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

battered citizendrome

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Wise Learned Man posted:

battered citizendrome

Yup. I was going to suggest this too. Classic battered woman syndrome. "It's my fault he hits me because I do stupid things and make him mad."

This is pathetic.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

G0RF posted:

What an interesting discussion that whole thread produced! Forgive my rambling, I found the whole thread incredibly interesting.

Discussions were considerably more coherent than discussions about the chart on /dereksmart, who conspicuously chose to archive the ugly inverted chart, not the lovely original. (That's hardly good faith documenting, DS friends, I really did endeavor to make it a lovely to look at...)

MMORPG forum discussions about Star Citizen fit the future-facing, past-revising positivity bias originally modeled at RSI forums. Permnanent embeds like Max Bacon and Erillion have 10,000+ posts between them yet I've never seen one demanding accountability from CIG, for 'tis Heresy. The "9 Voices of Star Citizen Debate" discussion produced lots of engagement and views yet is the only MMORPG forum post closed from the first page of threads. Why? ("Goons!" :argh:)

Self-appointed, totally non-biased forum mayor Erillion rushed straight to ad hominem. Only a few weeks ago, when the Alpha 3.0 Infographic hit his jurisdiction, he countered with sawed-off shotgun blasts stereotyping the source and defending Chris Roberts against the implications of the work:

I can hardly vouch for my own trustworthiness, of course, but the irony isn't lost that Erillion is one of the most energetic, full-throated defenders of Chris Roberts, a person who has indisputably lied brazenly and repeatedly over a 5 year span. he has done it before live audiences numbering in the five digits and raised $156 million doing it, yet Erillion is not only untroubled by all of that, he's eager to stereotype criticism from SA because not a single participant here can be trusted. We are all uniformly evil, hellbent on chaos, lacking constructive motives, etcetera while Chris Roberts is cool and good and furthermore...

So, in light of his take on the Alpha 3.0 chart, it's really rich that only a few weeks later, when the 9 Voices chart hit MMORPG and the OP asked people to identify where they fit on the chart, Erillion immediately identified himself as a "Believer."

This is a guy who has written 7,600+ posts in that forum alone, hundreds of which include broadside attacks on critics ("goons!" :argh:), yet he considers himself only mildly-positively biased, not engaged in Evangelism and certainly not attacking perceived threats on moralistic grounds.

Are you sure we're the ones engaged in a propaganda war, Erillion?

Flashback: MMORPG Thread about Star Marine - January 2016 - a tour de force thread starring Erillion as paladin defender of Chris Roberts, Derek Smart as the firebomb thrower, justagamemode, Sunny's Diner, Lando Santa and the special edition Porsche PLUS a very special guest appearance by Lethality as the "Jason Hutchins is not gone. I welcome proof that he is." guy.

Flashback: MMORPG Thread about the Star Citizen tracker - April 2017 - Max Bacon and Erillion sing another stirring rendition of "Goons! :argh:" (Max Bacon wanting to host the tracker to make sure it's honest is :five: though.)

I think you'll find the further clockwise you go on that chart, the more you'll find people being disingenuous with their own bias/thoughts. Has any poster anywhere said with a straight face that they're in the furthest 2 clockwise sections?

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Hav posted:

I didn't sign any ToS, and simply shrink-wrapping a EULA with a downloader is not ironclad. He seems to have forgotten precedence or the entire concept of 'bad faith', which is entirely at odds with 'arguing with christians on facebook'. The thing he's looking for is 'post hoc ergo propter hoc', and the argument he's emulating has been done over, again and again.

The fun thing is that it exposes Dunning-Kruger quite well because he's assuming that his experience is the sum total of experience without then falsifying; debate from a position of being correct isn't a debate, it's an argument.

(This post was produced by a team of no faith and a single WASP background)

I experienced Dunning-Kruger first hand the first time I watched good Hearthstone players stream. I watched some Asian prick with smalltism play Arena and I poo-poo'd every pick he made...then he owned. So I watched a few more pricks-of-the-litter, and while all alone at my PC I talked the most exquisite poo poo about each one of them and each one's picks. But each one owned. And it turns out that I was the prick-of-the-litter, and to this day I still can't make legendary.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Richie Stardust posted:

I experienced Dunning-Kruger first hand the first time I watched good Hearthstone players stream. I watched some Asian prick with smalltism play Arena and I poo-poo'd every pick he made...then he owned. So I watched a few more pricks-of-the-litter, and while all alone at my PC I talked the most exquisite poo poo about each one of them and each one's picks. But each one owned. And it turns out that I was the prick-of-the-litter, and to this day I still can't make legendary.

Trump not the president you broke brained libs with ptsd is the best.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sum Mors posted:

I think you'll find the further clockwise you go on that chart, the more you'll find people being disingenuous with their own bias/thoughts. Has any poster anywhere said with a straight face that they're in the furthest 2 clockwise sections?

I've noticed the same thing.

People are far more willing to self-identify as Haters, Trolls, Heretics than Zealot or even Evangelist. There are probably a lot of reasons for that, but one seems to be that those on the negative side have some degree of pride in the role they're playing. Yet on the positive side, it may be harder to admit you're evangelizing, or white knighting / engaged in zealotry, or whatever. There may be no self-consciousness about the acts themselves but much in acknowledging the label.

But maybe there's more to it than that.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

Definitely no mental illness here. Nope, nothing but healthy thoughts as far as the eye can see.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
drat, we got a serious "Star Citizen cannot fail, it can only be failed" post

the future is wild

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Not enough bunnies posted in this thread.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

G0RF posted:

I've noticed the same thing.

People are far more willing to self-identify as Haters, Trolls, Heretics than Zealot or even Evangelist. There are probably a lot of reasons for that, but one seems to be that those on the negative side have some degree of pride in the role they're playing. Yet on the positive side, it may be harder to admit you're evangelizing, or white knighting / engaged in zealotry, or whatever. There may be no self-consciousness about the acts themselves but much in acknowledging the label.

But maybe there's more to it than that.

I think there's more to it. I think that, for the most part, the farther to the right you travel along that chart, the more disconnected from reality one must become to be a member.

Trolls, haters, and heretics have their finger firmly on the pulse of the reality of what CIG is really up to - they only differ in how they choose to express that awareness. The center section, although it appears at first glace to be the section for reasonable people, indicates a much greater degree of optimism than CIG has earned. Those on the right are completely disconnected from objective reality.

If the chart were generic, and being used as a template to apply to any game controversy, my answer might be different. But this is Chris Roberts, and this is Star Citizen. This could never have gone any other way than how it did.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 11, 2017

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
Road to 3.0 still aint out lol makin sure everyone is asleep

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

BobHoward posted:

Not really. This is a popular misconception, but it is just that. Most x86 instructions become a single uop in modern x86 chips, and in many cases the front end of the processor is now allowed to "fuse" two x86 instructions into a single uop.

Even circa 15-20 years ago when Intel was cracking lots of instructions into multiple uops, it wasn't ever really correct to think of the uops as a RISC instruction set. It was a microcoded implementation of x86 where the ucode was designed to facilitate a highly pipelined OOO execution back end, not an actual translation from CISC to RISC. (This was deliberately confused by Intel marketing because at the time RISC was a tech buzzword.)

Register windows were a SPARC only thing, and turned out to be a mistake. MIPS had one early flaw, architected branch delay slots.

A lot of that wasn't a consequence of the instruction set. DEC had really good chip fabs and an incredible design team, from architects down to physical design. You can do a lot with guys who are wizards at manual circuit layout.

On the other hand it's expensive and takes a lot of time.

Well, not sure what we need to argue about.

Alpha was a RISC processor and achieved quite the high MHz.

Decoding uops isn't free. Especially when it is ugly.

Intel wanted to dump x86. Itanium.

Have to agree with you, AMD relies on synthetic tools while Intel has the R&D to "hand tune" some of their CPU designs.

Guess at the end of the day, we all wanted Motorola to win.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Good Dumplings posted:

drat, we got a serious "Star Citizen cannot fail, it can only be failed" post

the future is wild

We are stuck in the retarded timeline with the commandos, there is no way out now. :downs:

We just have to wait it out until the ELE takes effect and Derek calls it, again. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

The Titanic posted:

All the big name Origin guys I looked up to in the early 90's who helped me want to be a really cool programmer seem to have all ended up as poo poo canisters today. :(

That is a bit sad. From CR scamming people to the guy who made loving Ultima, a game about being a virtuous hero, also scamming people and selling his own blood for money, is just real depressing for the little girl in me who genuinely wanted to be good enough to work at Origin some day.

I kind of wish CR just stayed retired and Richard Garriott threw in his hat after Tabula Rasa. The memories of them being great would have been so much better than seeing what they have become today.

Not all of them. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJlxHeUZ_bQ